Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
This seems like a common misconception, but you have to beat the Story Mode Mt. Battle all in one go to get Ho-oh, not the Battle Mode one. I mean, maybe you can do either? But I definitely know Story Mode works.

e: Or maybe I'm wrong here? Looking this up everyone seems to claim Battle Mode, but I'm pretty sure I did this without ever touching the Battle Mode one...

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Jumping the gun slightly since I go over everything in Battle Mode in the next update, but since I didn't indicate I'd do that, I don't mind. Just remember that I will cover everything in an LP at one point or another, since I'm crazy.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 16: Last Leftovers

Welcome back to the last of the postgame! We're, uh, getting accused of assault by our boy Dash? That... doesn't seem right, let's see what the problem is.

I've got nothing to say to you!

The last part of the postgame is a bit annoying, since you're just jumping from one area to another to get emails to progress the story. Actually, how did Dash get our number anyway?

Outskirt Stand

Ah. poo poo. Well that's definitely me. Did we catch a Togetic? It's a garbage enough Pokemon that I don't even remember, it was probably a Pokemon from the Lab or something, who cares.

Nett might hate us right now, but he still says please.

Truly harrowing. But interesting that they've developed a camera that can show Shadow Pokemon auras.

Good thing I keep going back and forth to where there's an easy TV.

Aw drat, we're battling Willie in the Outskirt Stand! While... I'm watching TV... in the Outskirt Stand...

I feel like I'm missing something here.

What's going to happen here? I, ANCHA, will remain on the scene to bring you this breaking story!

I feel like I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here...

Well at least I gave you a good battle.

I can see that you don't understand. But there is one thing certain! You're going to battle me!

VS... Thomas?

The final challenge of the game! It's not exactly easy, but we've overcame stronger foes than this.

Thomas has a lot of items, so it takes a bit to wear him down, but his relatively fragile Pokemon make things a bit easier.

We're getting foiled by Lightningrod more or less by accident.

Still, it's not a big deal, since the Gyarados isn't going for Earthquake even though Manectric has Protect. Handy!

Two bulky waters over here, sheesh.

Always have an Electric move, Gyarados are everywhere.

Oh look Mawuh is out with Garchump again. Ah whatever, it gets rid of Milotic.

Here it is, the final Shadow Pokemon in the game. It's poo poo.

Togetic, 75 catch rate (50%, high health, paralyzed, Ultra Ball), starting moves: Yawn, Sweet Kiss, Charm, Shadow Rush/Metronome

It's the end of the game, as I probably keep annoyingly mentioning, but even if this was higher level and had a better moveset, Togetic is still really, really bad. For stalling or being annoying, Shuckle is infinitely better and it really doesn't do much otherwise in the various battle modes. Some Pokemon just feel like they're missing an evolution, right? Thank god for Gen 4, honestly. But hey, this mon is usually pretty rare and annoying to find, so here's a good prize to send over to the main games. There's nothing else, it's fuckin Togetic, the weakest Shadow Pokemon in the game.

Nice job me, you beat... me. Hm.

Oh right, it's just a Cipher member. Cool, what a way to end the game! You noticed how Rui hasn't said anything all postgame?

And he would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for your rotten journalistic standards.

Huh? You mean I can stop running now? You know, you really are a bighearted kind of guy! Thanks! From now on, I'll be hoping for your safety while I run.

That's everything we can do in this game, we've caught all 48 Shadow Pokemon first time with only 10 resets! That's not bad, so I guess we should purify the last ones.

There was only 7 left, so a full party purify and the final Time Flute goes to Togetic. I, uh, did not plan it that way, but it's cool it worked out like that!

And there we go. We're done with this game! There's nothing else we can actually do in story mode, unless you want to rematch all kinds of trainers, from the ones down in Duel Square, to Trudly and Folly in the mayor's house in Phenac. Despite being a pretty short game, there's a bit more than I expected.

All that's left is the various battle modes this game offers. In Battle Now, you can, well, battle right now, just jump straight into a single or double battle.

If the Ultimate AI is what bosses in this game use, then, oof, it's not that great.

You're given a set of 6 Pokemon to use, but if you don't like what you're offered, you can just cancel out and go back in. Now, I am using the second set, but I didn't realise the name changed for each set, using the standard names from the start of the game. So the fact I chose the THOMAS team is purely coincidental.

Oh, we're just facing another preset team. Uh, cool? Now we're seeing the Stadium features of this game, you choose 3 or 4 Pokemon depending on the mode and get ready for battle!

And now we're battling. All Battle Mode, uh, battles don't have items and no Call option, so no cheating out Sleep. But since I've got a Calm Mind Suicune, well...

It wasn't exactly tough.

Let's go into the other, more important modes.

Using three other GBA games you can participate in 2v2 battles with friends. If you had 3 other friends around Gen 3's release. I didn't. Or just 1v1 battles if you only have the 1 friend. The models of the RS protagonists are in this game, so if you hook up your GBA you can fight as them in 3D!!! You can use the other Gen 3 games to fight, but the models for those PCs are only in XD.

There's quite a bit to this section, huh? Here's where you can exchange Pokecoupons to save you having to go into the Story mode's Mt. Battle to exchange them, which is nice. You can also transfer your Pokecoupons to a GBA game, so they're not lost if you start a new game, letting you pool a lot of Pokecoupons if you want. The prizes are the same.

Before you can actually use any of these modes, you need to register 6 Pokemon to use, either 6 Pokemon from the Colosseum main game, or on a GBA game so you don't have to trade them over 1 by 1 to then register them. If you want the good stuff, then you should get used to doing so via Colosseum.

We'll register our team, even if we're not going to seriously tackle these modes, since I've had enough battling for one game. Still, despite the size of these modes (and they're pretty meaty), you can resume them at any time, which is quite nice.

So Mt. Battle is in this mode and it's a bit different to the story mode version. Like in story, we can use 6 Pokemon.

But like the other battle modes, we only use 3 or 4 Pokemon out of our 6, and our opponents are the same. If you remember, the story mode version of this guy was a completely different trainer with completely different Pokemon, so you can't rely on that knowledge. Still, they start off very easy, so it's similar in that the first 70 or so battles are gonna be pretty tedious. Unlike the story mode, however, you can't change your party in any way, nor resume from a previously beaten area, though you can save progress between each battle.

Pretty easy. Mt. Battle does get harder quicker, since the Pokemon you face will always match your highest level, so if you want to have a similar time to a battle facility, then bring over some level 100 Pokemon and go to town.

Since they always use a certain amount of Pokemon, the battles are quicker in this mode AND you get continues for a perfect fight, similar to the Stadium games. This makes this place a lot easier to get through, since you'll be burning through those continues towards the end. But of course, I'm not going to go through this place, even though there are some nice rewards for it. Let's go over them!

The main draw of doing the Battle Mode Mt. Battle is, if you've purified all 48 Shadow Pokemon and go through the entire facility with the same 6 Pokemon registered from Pokemon Colosseum, you'll get a Ho-oh. Just bam, a level 70 Ho-oh placed in the box. You'll also get the Earth Ribbon for your party if you do this is story or battle mode, but Ho-oh is only available in battle mode. It's the only way to get Ho-oh in a Gen 3 game, unless you luck out and haven't done your Navel Rock event in FRLG and Emerald. You'll also get Pokecoupons as a reward for clearing each area, though as we saw when I went over them earlier, it starts low then quickly goes up. If you use a legendary Pokemon, they'll each cut the reward amount by 13%, so watch out. Oh yeah, there's also the final trainer, which is different from story mode and slightly different depending on if you chose Single or Double Battles.

In Single mode, you'll face 3 of Mt.BtlMaster Infin's Pokemon while Double mode has you face 4 of Mt.BtlMaster Inity's Pokemon. You might wonder why Inity doesn't have a Groudon, well battle 98 has one instead for a Chlorophyll team, while battle 99 has a Kyogre for a Swift Swim team. There's also a lot more legendaries in general, including Jirachi! It sounds like hell to get through, so no, I'm not doing this mode. Next!

The final mode is the Colosseum mode, where you do eight battles in a row in the various story mode colosseums. Like with Mt. Battle, they're full of strong trainers with proper movesets and can be challenged in either single or double battles. There's also an unknown colosseum, the Orre Colosseum. If you conquer each of the colosseums in either singles or doubles in their level bracket (3 level 50s or 1 level 100), then you can challenge that level of the Orre Colosseum. What kind of place is the Orre Colosseum? Well, you'll see.

Annoyingly you can't do any Colosseum battles if you have any kind of Mt. Battle challenge going on, and vice versa, since only one suspend data can be saved at once.

Also if you want to challenge the Tower Colosseum, you're not brought up in level, whereas the level 50 modes rise to match your strongest Pokemon. So you should probably take this mode down with level 100 Pokemon.

Alright, that's everything to do with Battle Mode. There's a lot there, but since I want to do other things in my life, I won't go through them. But is there anything else to go over? Well, yes, lemme just reset first...

So let's dive into bonus content, especially stuff you wouldn't be able to access at all! This is the Celebi Bonus Disc, given to preorders of this game to preview a bunch of GBA and GC games, such as Pokemon Box RS, Donkey Konga, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Mario Party 5, as well as give you a Celebi for your Colosseum game as well as your Gen 3 games (originally RS, but any is fine), so long as you've beaten the game and saved in a Pokemon Center. This is slightly different to the Jirachi bonus disc, also given to preorders of the game with previews of Pokemon Colosseum and the 6th movie: Jirachi: Wish Maker, but you did not need Pokemon Colosseum to receive it, just a copy of Ruby or Sapphire, to obtain one Jirachi on one save file. These methods are the only way of obtaining legit Jirachi or Celebi on a Gen 3 game, so I hope you can still find them.

Before we get the main reason of obtaining this disk, here's a little bonus within your bonus.

In honor of your impressive achievement, we present you with a PIKACHU holding a LIGHTBULB and this PP MAX!

The English is, uh, mostly there. Still, depending on how many Pokecoupons you've obtained in your saved game, you can get some little prizes, with a PP Max for a Bronze rank, a Pikachu holding a Light Ball for a Silver rank and a Master Ball for a Gold rank. Pretty interesting stuff.

Like with the feature in Battle Mode, this lets you transfer your Pokecoupons to a Gen 3 game so you can keep them if you want to restart, or have another pool to exchange for prizes.

So, how goes it? Is your quest to purify SHADOW POKEMON proceeding smoothly? Ah! You've managed to purify all the SHADOW POKEMON in the ORRE REGION?! That's amazing, THOMAS! But it is you, after all! Hm? Wh-What's that?! It... it's CELEBI!

THOMAS, if you have a friend who would like to receive CELEBI's blessing like you did, you should bring them here.

Sounds good, you can only get a Celebi onto your Colosseum game once you've purified all 48 Shadow Pokemon, letting you then transfer 48 different Celebi to 48 Gen 3 games! How neat. You can only get one Celebi for your Colosseum file, but I'm using AR codes not only to access this to begin with, but to get myself unlimited Celebi. And that's not all...

Another AR code changes the Celebi I'm obtaining into a Ho-oh! Saves me having to do all of Mt. Battle again in Battle Mode! You need a slot in your party to obtain these rewards, aside from Ho-oh, but that's three new Pokemon we've obtained that doesn't require any trading with Gen 3, which Jirachi would require.

These aren't the legit Pikachu and Celebi, since their English versions were never released (though are in the game), they're only proper if they're Japanese, which is why the Celebi is sometimes referred to as the Agato Celebi, the Japanese name of Agate and its translated OT.

This is, however, the perfectly legit Ho-oh from climbing up Mt. Battle. I'm so glad I was able to obtain it via cheating instead of the lovely legit way.

But there we go, that is absolutely everything there is in Pokemon Colosseum. It's a fun game with a lot more to it than you'd expect, especially after you finish the game and can dive into the various postgame modes. If you're not a huge fan of battling, then there's not much for you, admittedly, but if you want to fight against your friends on the big screen, there's this and there's XD: Gale of Darkness, which we're heading to next, since Colosseum is finished!

...welllllllllll, I suppose there's one more thing.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

After a certain point you wonder if Game Freak was making Celebi incredibly difficult to get in America out of spite.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I honestly don't even understand the appeal of Celebi. It's not even all that good of a legendary form what I can see.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Celebi is a mythical in the style of Mew, with 100s across the board for base stats. It's not meant to be, say, Mewtwo quality, because Mew isn't Mewtwo quality. The main claim to fame for Celebi is how difficult it has been to get in the US, with barely any events, if any at all, for getting Celebi coming stateside, at least, before the new system for event Pokémon was started (new as in, started in Gen 6).

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Making a level 20 Togetic the final shadow Pokemon is the best joke in either game.

Crosspeice posted:

In Single mode, you'll face 3 of Mt.BtlMaster Infin's Pokemon while Double mode has you face 4 of Mt.BtlMaster Inity's Pokemon. You might wonder why Inity doesn't have a Groudon, well battle 98 has one instead for a Chlorophyll team, while battle 99 has a Kyogre for a Swift Swim team. There's also a lot more legendaries in general, including Jirachi! It sounds like hell to get through, so no, I'm not doing this mode. Next!
coward totally understandable
Incidentally, the battle mode trainer at 100 has a different model: he's a recolor of Eagun named Infin! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnCTLePdCPE&t=399s

Funky Valentine posted:

After a certain point you wonder if Game Freak was making Celebi incredibly difficult to get in America out of spite.

Celebi in general was just a giant pain to get.
Sure Celebi in america & europe had to wait until 2006 for an event give away for Celebi, but this 2003 bonus disc? Only way in gen 3 to get Celebi in Japan, and you also neede colosseum with all the shadow pokemon purified.
then n o t h i n g until 2010 for HGSS (2011 for the west)

Event Pokemon are a pain in general, but since gen 6 they've been a lot better about getting them out there more than once a decade.

SSNeoman posted:

I honestly don't even understand the appeal of Celebi. It's not even all that good of a legendary form what I can see.

Aside from rarity, competitive play enjoyed it for its typing and movepool in support with its stats. It was OU for 3, 4 & 5 and only fell to UU starting in XY, probably beacuse by that point there were enough pokemon that could punch through it or reliably hit its weaknesses

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hang on a sec. That last trainer opened with THAT line and didn't have a single heracross, ledyba, pinsir, shedninja or ninjask?

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

ZeButler posted:

The main claim to fame for Celebi is how difficult it has been to get in the US

Until they added the GS ball in the 3DS VC port of Crystal. Also the only way to get a legit shiny Celebi!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't understand. We beat Shadow Thomas, but we didn't get a Persona.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't understand. We beat Shadow Thomas, but we didn't get a Persona.

The Togetic is the Persona, obviously.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Thomas wakes up in a Pokemon Center painted deep blue.

Igor, dressed as Nurse Joy, flanked by Margaret in a Chansey costume: Yyyyyessss, welcome to the Velvet Room.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I like Togetic. :colbert:

I mean, the shadow one is garbage, but it's a fun line with some great moves.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The imposter scene is pretty weird and out of nowhere, isn't it? The pacing here isn't so great. It's a good fight, though, even if a level 20 Togetic is hilariously useless at this point. I don't know if this is coincidence or not, but it's vaguely interesting that four of the imposter's pokemon - Armaldo, Houndoom, Milotic and Manectric - are the same pokemon that replace the shadow pokemon held by the Cipher admins (though the imposter's have different movesets). Can't account for the Gyarados though, except that they're everywhere in this game.

Clearly I jumped the gun a bit on talking about Battle Mode, sorry about that! Um. Anyway, I've never actually tried the "Battle Now" preset teams, or the Colosseum Battles, but I think I find Mt Battle more enjoyable here than the story mode version. As long as you have a halfway decent team ingame and they're even in levels, it shouldn't be too bad - you can build up so many continues on the early floors that there's a huge margin of error later on when they get tougher. And I'm pretty sure these opponents have 0 EVs and maybe also 0 IVs; I don't know exactly, but you definitely have a statistical advantage if you're using pokemon you've been training all game (even if there's no good way to optimise EVs in Colosseum, you still *have* them).

Was this the game that introduced the team preview system where you have to pick a subset to actually battle? I honestly can't remember if that was in Stadium, but regardless, I like it, it adds a fun strategic element even before the battle starts (and it's recurred a lot since then, don't they use something like it in competitive?).

Thanks for showing off the bonus disc content, too! I've never been able to get the Jirachi disc to work in emulation (well, okay, the disc works but I couldn't get it to connect to a GBA emulator properly even when Colosseum itself was able to), let alone trying the Celebi one.

Celebi itself seems to represent the escalating trend of "here's a cool pokemon with interesting abilities that you could have lots of fun with, too bad you'll never have it and gently caress your pokedex completion" that's marked way too many of the event legendaries. It's the most aggravating thing about this series, really. I love Pokemon but sometimes I really do think Gamefreak just don't want players to have fun.

Crosspeice posted:

You'll also get the Earth Ribbon for your party if you do this is story or battle mode, but Ho-oh is only available in battle mode.

This isn't quite right, sadly; the Earth Ribbon is only in story mode.

Solumin posted:

I like Togetic. :colbert:

I mean, the shadow one is garbage, but it's a fun line with some great moves.

This shadow one is garbage, at least. XD may prove more interesting in that regard.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Explopyro posted:

Was this the game that introduced the team preview system where you have to pick a subset to actually battle? I honestly can't remember if that was in Stadium, but regardless, I like it, it adds a fun strategic element even before the battle starts (and it's recurred a lot since then, don't they use something like it in competitive?).

It was in both Stadium games, yes. Smogon freaked out over team preview in gen 5 even though I am pretty sure it was there in at least some of gen 4 & competitive real life tournaments since they used Stadium 1/2/Colosseum/PBR

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016

Explopyro posted:

Can't account for the Gyarados though, except that they're everywhere in this game.

Gyarados replaces Gonzap's Skarmory at Snagem Hideout if you caught it in Realgam Tower.

Regardless, this is a good looking thing. Curious what the last planned thing before hopping to XD is, but I hope it's something good.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Toyotasomi no Miko posted:

Gyarados replaces Gonzap's Skarmory at Snagem Hideout if you caught it in Realgam Tower.

:doh: I didn't think to check Gonzap, oops. I checked Nascour and Evice but didn't think of him.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Explopyro posted:

:doh: I didn't think to check Gonzap, oops. I checked Nascour and Evice but didn't think of him.

For the record, what are Nascour and Evice's replacements?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Mraagvpeine posted:

For the record, what are Nascour and Evice's replacements?

Alakazam and Aggron, respectively.

Here's the Bulbapedia link. It's not just the major characters though, as you can see there the other trainers in the finale also get replacements for the shadow pokemon if you return, and I want to say this is actually true of most trainers you can refight over the course of the game.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's a pool of like 15 Pokemon that Colosseum really really loves putting on teams. Linoone, Gyarados, and Rhyhorn (NEVER RHYDON) are in it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Part 17: The Ridiculous Rabbit Hole of the e-Reader (Part 3: Of Course There's More)

Hello everyone! I'm Admiral H. Curtiss, and I'll be showing off just one more litte thing that exists in Pokémon Colosseum.

Like many games released by Nintendo around its time, the Japanese version of Pokémon Colosseum supports the e-Reader GBA accessory. So let's take a look at what that is in this game, shall we?

I got Crosspeice's LP save for this showcase. Pokémon Colosseum saves are cross-compatible between regions if you just edit the Game ID on the memory card to match the correct region, so we can just load it in Japanese Colosseum without issues.

We need to head over to Phenac Stadium for this. Take a last look at our incredible bike while we're going there. I still have to laugh at that whenever I see it.

In all non-JP versions, both doors here just lead into the Stadium battles after registering at the counter, but in the Japanese version, the left door leads somewhere else.

It's the Card e Room! Here you can connect to a GBA with the e-Reader+ and scan Pokémon Colosseum e-Cards, which were sold separately in four packs of six cards each.

Each pack included five trainer cards as well as one Colosseum card. We'll take a look at what these do exactly in a bit.

You register on the left here to establish a connection with your GBA e-Reader+. Just select the option to connect to a GameCube, plug the GBA into the GameCube's second controller slot, and there you go.

You can do this on emulator using Dolphin and newer versions of VBA-M, but it's pretty finicky.

The game will push a Pokémon Colosseum card scanning application to your GBA, with, as far as I can tell, one of three random background images:

After the e-Reader has been connected you can enter the capsule in the back.

The three options here are Panel Battle, Endless Battle, and Quit. For now we'll take a look at Panel Battle.

In Panel Battle, you just scan any of the Trainer e-Cards to initiate a battle against them. We've scanned the #01 card here.

Unfortunately, these battles are painfully easy for an endgame party, so they're not particularly interesting to show off... yet, anyway.

For winning a battle you get 50 PokéCoupons.

So you might be wondering, if the saves are cross-compatible between regions, what happens if we save in here and load the save in the English version? Well, let's try just that.

As it turns out, it works! All the content is still in the English version, just inaccessible and only somewhat translated.

All this text clearly only got an initial translation pass, which is kind of interesting to see.

Do note that, despite us using the English version of Pokémon Colosseum now, we still have to use the Japanese e-Reader+ to connect, as none of that code was modified from the Japanese version. All the text on the GBA application is still Japanese, even.

Anyway, let's just continue where we left off, just this time with text more of our readers can understand.

I figured this would be boring if we just steamrolled all of the trainers, so I swapped our party to something weaker.

Yeah, that should work.

Maybe that was a bit took weak...

As a side-note, none of these e-Card battles allow you to use items; the message here is slightly mistranslated, it should say something like 'Items can't be used now.' instead.

I manage to barely win this one.

Let's try a slightly better team and see if that helps.

You can scan the Colosseum cards at any time to switch what Colosseum battles take place in. I think this is purely aesthetics, except it might affect something like Secret Power. Maybe. I'm not sure. This is Pyrite Colosseum. The other three scanable Colosseum cards are The Under Colosseum, Deep Colosseum, and Realgam Colosseum, respectively.

Anyway.

Okay, first hit almost killed us, so let's Endure the second one to buy some time...

Or not.

This is still surprisingly hard with this party...

After defeating a full row of trainers, you get thrown into an extra fight right away.

Unlike between regular fights, they don't heal you for those. This could be difficult...

It worked out somehow.

Beating the extra trainers gives you 80 PokéCoupons instead of 50 as well as a bonus item of usually questionable worth.

At some point I switched back to our main team because these fights weren't particularly interesting with the weaker team either, just more tedious.

Oh, and do note you don't have to scan the cards in order, you can fight them in any order you want.

The rewards for the remaining rows aren't so hot either.

After beating all trainers you get this message. Hm, I wonder who that is?

Ah, an untranslated trainer. The difficulty is roughly on par with all the trainers we've fought already, so he's not so bad. But!

This guy has a Shadow Pokémon! I didn't quite think this through so my party is way too strong to actually weaken this thing, so let's just hope for the best I guess.

I also didn't think about stocking up on balls either. This might take a bit!

It eventually stays in through sheer luck.

So, what now?

Well, astute readers may have noticed that there are three tabs in this window. If you scan a trainer from a row you have already cleared once more...

You get to fight the same trainer again, but with an updated team. Sadly not strong enough yet to actually be interesting, but hey.

Let's just skip ahead a bit.

For clearing the red row in this difficulty level, you get a Nugget. Blue row is a Full Restore, yellow row is a PP Up, and green row is an Ether. Oh, and the PokéCoupon rewards don't change, so you still get 50 per card trainer and 80 per end-of-row trainer.

Clearing all of the trainers on this difficulty level makes someone else show up outside the capsule.

I disagree with that assessment.

This time I'll take a few weaker Pokémon with us so we can weaken the Shadow Pokémon.

Yeah that's much better.

Okay, on to the third difficulty level!

These fights can actually be kinda difficult! Their level is roughly on par with an endgame party's, and most of them have some kinda strategy that may or may not cause you troubles.

This trainer, for example, wants to annoy you to death. Shuckle takes forever to take down in general, and this one also carries Leftovers and has Toxic and Wrap, while the Sableye over there also has Toxic along with Confuse Ray and Recover.

Oh just die already!

You still generally have the upper hand in these fights since you have six Pokémon to their four, but there are still some interesting and rough battles in here that kinda make it worth slugging through the first two sets.

This trainer is themed around Rain Dance, with 100% hit Thunders and abilities like Swift Swim.

Of course all their water mons have Ice Beam for coverage, which is not great for our team.

And Earthquake, gotta have Earthquake. Pretty decent movesets all around.

I barely manage to win this one.

And then there are fights that are just the worst. This one is similar to the Shuckle fight from before except much more effective. Milotic can be pretty annoying, and while this Armaldo isn't that bad it carries Sword Dance so you want to take it down quick. But the real problem is what comes after that.

This Cradily here was the bane of my existance, with Toxic, Barrier, Amnesia, Recover, and Leftovers, combined with a helping of Light Screen from Meganium, it would just not go down. So I figured, okay, let's inflict Toxic and beat it with its own weapon, right?

Goddammit. In case you're not aware, a Synchronized Toxic decays to regular Poison in Gens 3 and 4, so I actually had to either run it out of Recover PP or consistently inflict over 50% of its health in a single attack.

Neither of those happened and I had to slowly but surely await my death.

Thankfully you can just retry, and since you know what's coming up you can adjust your team to deal with that, but drat, I was really not expecting to get stalled out by the CPU.

Second try goes better, but he still manages to wipe most of my team before the fight is over. Oh well.

This guy does the classic poison your own team mate for Guts move, which is cute. Doesn't help him much though.

This is just a solid sweeping team with Blaziken/Miltank/Heracross/Donphan, Salac Berries, and lots of Earthquake.

It goes poorly for me on my first attempt.

And on my second attempt, for that matter.

Third attempt goes a lot better by adjusting my party a bit. I can take out Blaziken and Heracross before they even get to do anything by leading with Espeon, and the rest is just kinda cleanup in comparison.

This team counts on luck by boosting evade and using OHKO moves. It doesn't quite work out for them in the end.

The final trainer of each row on this difficulty can be especially hard since you don't get healed and they tend to have pretty good teams.

And sometimes you just get unlucky.

But sometimes you can also be lucky when you're unlucky.

And some trainers just...

oooh noooooooo

How often do you see loving Bright Powder actually work? Gaah!

Well, this might be a problem.

Oh right, I forgot about you, whoops.

It takes sacrifices of half my team, but I manage to take it down.

Wait, what are you doing? I think this Alakazam only has Skill Swap...

And this Xatu is only slightly better.

Yeah I'd be frustrated too if my partner kept using Skill Swap for no reason.

Oh you can do something else, how about that!

Well that was a close one, even with the silly wasted Skill Swap turns.

This is pretty unremarkable, but I have to point out:

Really? Type correct Hidden Power in-game? Come on. Did they have this as Thunderpunch until they realized Typhlosion can't actually learn that in Gen 3 at the time of Colosseum's release and just hotfixed it?

Oh, the Regis. Well, I only have two Pokémon left, but Regis aren't that bad usually, maybe...

Nevermind!

The worst part of losing to an end-of-row trainer is that you have to re-beat the last trainer you beat before that to retry. Well, that's annoying.

After reshuffling my team slightly to prepare for Explosion I try again, this time with four Pokémon surviving the previous battle and a savestate so I can retry faster.

Oh wow, I would have expected that to survive a Regice's Explosion at least. Welp.

Of course. I hate using attacks without 100% accuracy...

Well, one Pokémon left, maybe I can manage to...

Nope, don't even get a turn.

Well, if you're gonna play like this I'm gonna just protect myself. Unfortunately our Umbreon does not have Protect, so I'll just swap in Ho-oh.

This thing does have enough defense to survive a Regice Explosion at least, so that's cool.

This time I manage to take out Registeel before it can explode.

Can't prevent this but that's fine, our remaining two Pokémon should be able to take care of a lone Dusclops.

Sure enough.

As you might be able to tell from their Pokémon selection, this is another trainer that tries to just explode on you. This one is much easier than the Regi one though.

This fight can be very rough, Lati@s are pretty powerful. Her Latias uses Helping Hand to buff the Latios which all but guarantees OHKOs from Latios' Dragon Claw, Luster Purge, or Ice Beam. The Latias also has Dragon Claw so even that can deal respectable damage when it's not buffing her partner.

The first attempt goes badly.

Second attempt I try to predict her lead by going ahead with Octillery's Ice Beam, but as it turns out Latios also has Thunderbolt! Gaaah.

I choose to abandon that one and instead go with Umbreon's Confuse Ray and Bite. That works much better.

After the Lati@s are down the fight goes a lot smoother.

The last SP trainer is kind of a joke compared to the rest. I suspect this fight is intended as a Sunny Day strategy but his AI does not appear to understand that so he never manages to get one off and it goes poorly for him.

The final battle here is kind of unremarkable too, but it does have a neat thing that kinda sorta makes it worth going through these I guess?

It's a Shadow Scizor! Being a Bug Pokémon makes it really easy to catch too.

Your reward for doing these battles is those three Shadow Pokémon, two of which are kind of useless because you already get their evolved forms in the regular game.

You also can do the 'Endless Battle' option in the e-Card menu after beating all trainers, which pits you against the exact same high-level fights except you don't get healed between fights.

No thanks.

And that's about it! It's a shame that all this content exists but is essentially locked out for most people playing the game, especially since the card scanning aspect is kind of superfluous and could really just have been replaced with a menu. Still, if you find a way to do it, it's a surprisingly neat way to spend a few extra hours with the game.

Hope you enjoyed seeing this content, and Pokémon Colosseum in general!

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Absolutely fantastic! That's everything to do with Pokemon Colosseum! Big thanks to Admiral H. Curtiss for wanting to show off the e-Reader stuff, something I would've just made a note of in Part 16 and then used the infinite Celebi AR code to obtain those three Shadow Pokemon. So it's really cool to see it being done using the LP save file AND in English, absolutely blew me away! This game was a blast to do, it's short and sweet, but there's some cool stuff in there to keep you going for hours if you're willing to go for it, including stuff we had no idea about when this game first came out. It's just different, you know, and that's something the Pokemon franchise could absolutely need more of. And I don't mean more F2P garbage that keeps getting shoved out.

In any case, XD will start on Friday and if you thought Colosseum had a lot to it, then oh baby, this game is gonna be a big one. It doesn't have the massive postgame modes like Colosseum, but the main game more than makes up for that. Get ready for even more Shadow Pokemon!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

XD was one of my favorite games from the Gen 3 era, can't wait to see you go through it! Makes me wish for a Gen 8 version or something

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

All of that e-Reader stuff wasn't needed but it still feels really weird to cut what Pokemon you can get in a game that has very few options to begin with. It would've been really easy to just have the exact same room with everything unlocked too, there was no reason whatsoever to just cut everything out beyond laziness, which is even weirder when other e-Reader stuff was kept in other games.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's bizarre that 2/3 of the eReader exclusive Shadow Pokemon are pre-evos of things you already get.

Scizor would've been nice in the main game.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Well, that was fun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Funky Valentine posted:

It's bizarre that 2/3 of the eReader exclusive Shadow Pokemon are pre-evos of things you already get.

Not only that, but they dont even get any cool special moves. No elemental punches amphy or anything

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Pretty sure that Togepi has the exact same moveset as the Togetic, which just makes it that much stranger.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I was not expecting to see the e-Reader content, especially in English; that's really cool! Thanks for showing that off.

It is pretty weird though; they could easily have just included this content in the English version, and it doesn't look like the majority of the data was on the cards... then again, most of it's redundant in any case, why are the first two pokemon here things you'll already have? Scizor would've been useful though.

I'm looking forward to seeing you do XD, I've been playing that recently myself and there's a lot to enjoy in that game

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I'm looking forward to Pokemon XD.

While I enjoyed Pokemon Colosseum, I never played XD because I was in full Pokemon is for little kids mode.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't unsee the emoticon whenever people talk about Gale of Darkness.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Funky Valentine posted:

Yeah that's the weirdest part of the e-reader stuff to me: all that money and effort to get all the required peripherals, and you're basically just getting a Scizor. Someone mentioned earlier that the Scizor is 100% male, so you can't even breed to get Scyther; you're literally just getting Scizor and that's it.

The e-reader as a whole was kinda bizarre to me, and it doesn't really help that half of the e-reader stuff was Japanese exclusive and basically dummied out of the English/European games.

Like, there's a whole series of e-reader berries, only half of which were released in English. All of them turn in to Enigma Berries when transferred to Generation 4 and there's been zero mention of them otherwise.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't unsee the emoticon whenever people talk about Gale of Darkness.

Yeah, same here. I can't take any post with that name in it seriously because I think of the emoticon before I remember that's a game.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Celebi is cute and good, and that's the appeal for me.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

I've never seen any of the e-Reader stuff before, thank you for doing it!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

That was pretty neat! This was a pretty great LP overall.

I'm looking forward to Pokemon XD LMAO, I've never played it or really seen anything about it.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
I played XD back when I had a gamecube. It's not as hard as this one. If you keep swapping out your purified teammates for the ones you've just snagged, then you'll usually have a type advantage. Or at least, that's what I remember.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
The only think I could think of with the pre-evos is so you could trade them straight to RS after purifying so that way you wouldn't have to breed Flaffy/Ampharos and Togetic to get them for the dex :shrug:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Anyway, let's just continue where we left off, just this time with text more of our readers can understand.
These drat modern AAA LPs, always dumbing it down for the casuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Mareep in particular is baffling because it's level 37.
Thanks?

I can kind of understand not wanting to give too good rewards for the easy & medium set but at the same time just give me the japanese child playing this Politoed & Porygon2. You already bought all the required nonsense, throw a bone here.

Incidentally, if you were diligent in getting the female pokemon, did the mt battle challenge, had the preorder disc, had all the e-cards and bred them accordingly, RS would have access to all gen 2 pokemon except:
Cleffa (no Clefairy)
Politoed
Slowking
Unown
Steelix
Porygon2
Tyrogue (Hitmontop cannot breed without ditto)
Smoochum
Elekid
Magby (no Jynx, Electabuzz & Magmar)
Blissey
Lugia

Can't blame them on the babies, Unown is weird so I can see passing on it in general, & Blissey is female only and they didnt want access to most gen 1 pokemon so that's fine but it really bugs they didn't just slap a gender lock on the rest and call it a day. Porygon2 (who wouldn't be able to breed a Porygon anyway!) was even supposed to be a shadow pokemon juging by unused e-mails.

quote:

Hi, it's NETT. I analyzed the SHADOW POKéMON LIST again and discovered six more. The additions are HERACROSS, PORYGON2, WHISCASH, XATU, WOBBUFFET, and WAILMER. I'll send another update if I can find any more.

As always, never forget: getting the national dex complete in gen 3 was a nightmare.

• Locked thread