Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Sash! posted:

When was the last time someone danced to fuse?

Last I remember is Mindful Education

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sash! posted:

When was the last time someone danced to fuse?

I just rewatched Giant Woman due to the conversation here (and because it's a great song) so for me, it was about half an hour ago. Of course, that particular dance didn't result in a fully-formed fusion.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
I love any show that does a timetravel episode that ends with the iteration the audience is following following in the narrative spotlight loving dying and his pre-timefuckery progenitor just continuing the show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Justice Sloth posted:

I love any show that does a timetravel episode that ends with the iteration the audience is following following in the narrative spotlight loving dying and his pre-timefuckery progenitor just continuing the show.
I'm the opposite, and poo poo like this really bugs me for no good damned reason.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LividLiquid posted:

I'm the opposite, and poo poo like this really bugs me for no good damned reason.

For me at least it's because I have enough existential crises as it is, don't need my fiction adding to it

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I wonder if the gems were seeking out the hourglass to undo something in particular?

Could it go as far back as they'd need to?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Centipeedle and Pearl both have the holo tech tree, it's just Centipeedle dumped scale and maxed realism and multiples instead.

I'm partial to thinking the events depicted early in the show are as Steven remembers them, not as they occurred, which is supported by him imagining a historical person with Jaime's likeness.

I also really like the idea from last page that the stuff that doesn't fit only happened to the alternate Steven that loving bit it, while agreeing that there should be some elements that don't fit in the usual form. Like how the fusion experiments were weird and unexplained for a while because they didn't fit "single corrupted gem takes a fantasy animal form".

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

I wonder if the gems were seeking out the hourglass to undo something in particular?

Could it go as far back as they'd need to?

It's possible, but they might have grabbed it for the same reason they grabbed things like the message stone: better to have it in their horde than possibly used by others.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Many gems have the ability to create holographic drones. It's not just Pearl, either: the Prism from the video games is the source of nearly all the enemies you fight.

Incidentally, Save the Light is a good game, and Attack the Light ain't bad either.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think the Giant Woman bird is maybe all of a shattered gem's shards fused together into a semblance of its original self? When Opal damaged the giant version, it dissolved into a hundred tiny birds, and each of them had a similar-looking shard in it (which is a discrepancy from the interior shot where they all look different, but I'm gonna chalk that up to a blooper) Opal's super-arrow bubbled them all seperately. Peridot did say that gem shards which are able to take form seek out their missing parts, I think the bird is what you get when it succeeds.

Alternatively, it might just be a hundred little bird gems that fused into one giant bird.

In any case, it definitely wasn't shattered. We see independent gems in it before it breaks up.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

rannum posted:

It's possible, but they might have grabbed it for the same reason they grabbed things like the message stone: better to have it in their horde than possibly used by others.

Imagine if the gems were gonna use it to stop the corruption of all their friends and Steven used it for his garage band.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*Casually murders a Centipeedle crew member*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Justice Sloth posted:

Steven continues the O'Brien legacy.

Infinitum posted:

There's something to be said for how the Crystal Gems have become pretty inured to dealing with corrupted gems over six millennia of playing animal control for them.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Those weren't corrupted gems--they were artifacts Centipeedle created.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

deadly_pudding posted:

It's also there to strongly distinguish between Era 1 and Era 2 gem culture. They abandoned "magic" for technology because, probably, technology is reliable. Magic is weird and fickle, and the rules are loving made up. Technology works the same way every time, and the rules are very clear.

Gems relying on their magic and living in a society shaped of and for great artistic works were, perhaps, deemed too individualistic and prone to rebellion following the Incident on Earth.

So Steven Universe's backstory really is a JRPG.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LemonLimeTime posted:

So Steven Universe's backstory really is a JRPG.

What else did you expect?

Hell, the Diamond fight was basically set up like a JRPG boss battle, complete with surprise party member returns and Steven's mindscape of the battle was like an old-school JRPG with limited animations and static character positions.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Promo: Oh, hey, what if the Diamond attack didn't obliterate everyone because it interacted with another Diamond's defense.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the ideas for the upcoming episodes of the Diamond's trying to get Pink Diamond back from Steven: I could see this being where a wedge is drawn between them - one of them wanting the original Pink back, one of them recognising that this new creature is way wiser than she was and potentially a stronger ally that she could ever have been.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If gems are all women, how does Yellow know to refer to Steven with male pronouns?

White diamond man confirmed :v

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Maybe it was a part of that whole "who I am" laser, I think they were using she during the trial. That is, he didn't just tell them he's Pink Diamond, he got across that he's Pink Diamond's son.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Haven't been paying much attention to the news about the shows and just watched the latest batch of episodes ending with Reunited. Do we have an idea when the next are going to be out, or has the season finished and we're in for a long hiatus?

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Seems like we might get an update during SDCC

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Monglo posted:

Haven't been paying much attention to the news about the shows and just watched the latest batch of episodes ending with Reunited. Do we have an idea when the next are going to be out, or has the season finished and we're in for a long hiatus?

Someone mentioned September before.

MikeJF posted:

Promo: Oh, hey, what if the Diamond attack didn't obliterate everyone because it interacted with another Diamond's defense.

I think this is correct. Pink Diamond saved everyone from shattering at the cost of corrupting them instead.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'd like to see the gems sat down at the table trying to make respectable conversation. Yellow tries to act poised but then they're discussing things they'll need to gather to prepare to leave, she'll say something to Peridot like

"Wasn't there one on the ship you crashed?". Once Peridot realises that Yellow remembers her, Yellow won't hear the end of her gloating.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
In retrospect, the corruption attack is probably just a big version of the yellow and blue psychic auras, plus a white one we don't know about, that left every Gem on Earth permanently drugged up on sorrow, rage, and ???.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

In retrospect, the corruption attack is probably just a big version of the yellow and blue psychic auras, plus a white one we don't know about, that left every Gem on Earth permanently drugged up on sorrow, rage, and ???.

The Diamonds seemed confused in the promo about Gems being corrupted rather than destroyed. I think Pink's shield was the only thing powerful enough to directly block it, while anyone not immediately behind the shield was hit by a weakened version that corrupted them.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

chitoryu12 posted:

The Diamonds seemed confused in the promo about Gems being corrupted rather than destroyed. I think Pink's shield was the only thing powerful enough to directly block it, while anyone not immediately behind the shield was hit by a weakened version that corrupted them.

I wonder if they had never actually done that before and just assumed it would destroy the remaining gems, if they had done it but with Pink and three of them didn't have the same power, or if one of the diamonds (presumably White, unless Blue says something later) held back or altered the attack.

And if they had done it before - how often do gems rebel hard enough to warrant wiping out a planet's worth, especially when it seems resources to make more are at a premium? Eyeball implied that rebellions happen, but shattering a diamond went too far, were there other times they came close enough to justify that?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
It also seemed to not affect gems that didn't have a physical form at the time, too. They'd /presumably/ have checked that if they'd have scorched a planet before.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

maltesh posted:

It also seemed to not affect gems that didn't have a physical form at the time, too. They'd /presumably/ have checked that if they'd have scorched a planet before.

Are you referring to Bismuth? If Lion already existed by that point, she may have already been tucked away in a pocket dimension.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Something about this song seems oddly relevant to Steven Universe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ27WJ0KvA0

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think Lapis's mirror was like inside Pearl's Pearl at the time, too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

chitoryu12 posted:

Are you referring to Bismuth? If Lion already existed by that point, she may have already been tucked away in a pocket dimension.

Lapis (who was trapped in the mirror) and Amethyst (who was still incubating) were unaffected.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

maltesh posted:

Desert glass was corrupted and just a gem in a pillow (or was more season 1 weirdness)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Desert glass was corrupted and just a gem in a pillow (or was more season 1 weirdness)

Desert Glass is consistent. It was a gem embedded in an object, which creates a magic object. Which can malfunction if left alone for too long, like Lapis's mirror, again.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

misadventurous posted:

Seems like we might get an update during SDCC

What's that and when is it?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
San Diego Comic Con, the weekend after next.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I hope they don't air the episode and force me to watch it through someone's mobile phone upload. That was dire last time.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

I hope they don't air the episode and force me to watch it through someone's mobile phone upload. That was dire last time.

It was worth watching the first three minutes of Lars of the Stars in terrible quality to hear people losing their poo poo over it in an auditorium.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The main one I remember was Too Far, hearing an auditorium lose its poo poo every time Peridot opened her mouth. It was good except they hyped for so long that you couldn't hear the next line of dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if Blue could've taken a quad laser light cannon blast to the face.