Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Speaking of insane housing prices, what the gently caress just happened in the last 6 months to the housing market in San Jose? Every so often, out of curiosity, I check the Zillow estimate of the house I sold early last year for $640, and it's now at $950k.
Yeah we're in the mountains outside San Jose and I'm always flummoxed when I have to drive a car during rush hour. It's just incredible how far people will drive for a job in Silicon Valley, and it keeps getting worse and worse. Or better and better, I guess, for people who already own. Maybe things will change during the next tech bubble burst, or maybe every job except for programming will be eliminated in the future robocalypse and the entire world will want to move to San Jose, who knows!!!

edit: want to see what $625k will buy you in California? Spoiler: it's less than 500 square feet! https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Santa-Cruz-CA/house_type/16112305_zpid/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My parents used to live in Los Altos Hills, CA, in one of the most expensive zip codes in the country (94022). They bought a bigass house in 1996 for $1.0M. They wanted to move to Oregon in 2014 so they decided to sell it

for

$2.0M

because they found it "unconscionable" to ask for more than double what they paid. It's currently listed for $6.9M by the lucky fucks who bought it from them

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My parents used to live in Los Altos Hills, CA, in one of the most expensive zip codes in the country (94022). They bought a bigass house in 1996 for $1.0M. They wanted to move to Oregon in 2014 so they decided to list it

for

$2.0M

because they found it "unconscionable" to ask for more than double what they paid. It's currently listed for $6.9M
This is a good BWM story.

This is also a good BWM story:
Mother wants to use my credit to buy a house she can’t afford. I need to move out ASAP but I don’t know what to do please help me.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8xr7mi/mother_wants_to_use_my_credit_to_buy_a_house_she/

quote:

I’m 25.

My mom is a narcissist. Today she’s going a step too far and I have to get out ASAP. I’d planned on moving out in January but I need to get out of her much more quickly now.

One good thing she did for me was to help me establish credit. As a result, my credit is in the high 700s.

She now wants to use that credit to have me co-sign for her to buy a $220k house on a 30 year loan.

I’m about to begin a pilot training program/4 year degree and I want to have my own family/home one day.

If she does this (I.e. buys a home she can’t afford because she doesn’t have a job and isn’t qualified to do anything), I’ll never be able to buy my own home because no bank is going to give me two home loans. Much less buying a car.

I was planning on saving up so I could have a cushion when I left in January but I’m in a tight spot right now.

I have a part time job where I reliably make about $700 per month. I currently pay for car insurance but if I move out, I’ll stop paying that because I won’t have a car.

I do, however, have a motorcycle I’m paying for which was a terrible decision I let her talk me into two years ago. I would like to get just park the thing, stop paying insurance, and pay the thing off month by month.

I live in the state of Illinois, if that helps with advice.

What should I do? I don’t even know the first step I should take.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

OP posted:

That part is taken care of.

This is a text she just sent me:

As I meditated with God I began to pray and ask him why is my relationship with my son so fragile and about to fall completely apart? I kept praying to God not my will but His will and it came to me that the strain and lack of trust is not me it’s because of my son fears that I will do to him what he has done to me the lying stealing and cheating this has caused his distrust for you. With that came a release of pressure from my heart and mind and I could let go of all the guilt. Because I knew I had done nothing but loved you but I now know I need to stop looking for or depending on you for support. God promised he would be what ever I needed I just needed to trust him. For that I am sorry I did that to you. I kept trying to make be like the men in the Bible and Ruth when she took care of her mother in law after her husband and all his brothers had died; cause the Bible says if the father dies the eldest son is head of the house and so on but though are not of these times and that was too much for me to want from you and I asked your forgiveness

Oh, well then, as long as God's paying the bills it's fine!

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

moana posted:

edit: want to see what $625k will buy you in California? Spoiler: it's less than 500 square feet! https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Santa-Cruz-CA/house_type/16112305_zpid/

and it actually sold for $350K less than a year ago, and was originally listed for $769k :eyepop:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My parents used to live in Los Altos Hills, CA, in one of the most expensive zip codes in the country (94022). They bought a bigass house in 1996 for $1.0M. They wanted to move to Oregon in 2014 so they decided to sell it

for

$2.0M

because they found it "unconscionable" to ask for more than double what they paid. It's currently listed for $6.9M by the lucky fucks who bought it from them

They could have at least accounted for inflation before doubling it and got another million out of it :argh:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Haifisch posted:

Oh, well then, as long as God's paying the bills it's fine!

And:

quote:

No. The day I move out and support myself is, barring the unforeseen, the last day she sees or hears from me. I’m so completely done with her.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

— every 15-year-old

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Car totaled with no collision or gap insurance. Need help with next steps.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8xu67j/car_totaled_with_no_collision_or_gap_insurance/

quote:

I recently got into a car accident with my 2014 VW Jetta ending up totaled for 9,000 in damages. I did not have collision or gap insurance on the vehicle due to an oversight on a Geico policy that required me to have it photo inspected in NYS being lazy and/or cheap as gently caress. They will not be providing assistance as I'm not covered. I still have a lien on the car for close to 8,000. I was advised to call a scrapper who could purchase the car, but I would be responsible for the remainder of the lien. I already have substantial debt and a personal loan. Depending on the outcome of the scrapper, I would be obligated to pay for the vehicle though it is inoperable, or taking out another loan to cover the remainder of the lien. What advice would you offer in terms of next steps?

edit: I was deemed to be 100% at fault by the insurance agencies.
lolol.Is this "photo inspected in NYS a thing? Either way, lolol.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Speaking of insane housing prices, what the gently caress just happened in the last 6 months to the housing market in San Jose? Every so often, out of curiosity, I check the Zillow estimate of the house I sold early last year for $640, and it's now at $950k.

More: https://www.trulia.com/real_estate/San_Jose-California/market-trends/

Again, what the gently caress.

Didn’t Apple just finish a new Cupertino campus? The big one shaped like a donut? Oh yeah, I looked it up and it finished end of last year.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Colin Mockery posted:

Didn’t Apple just finish a new Cupertino campus? The big one shaped like a donut? Oh yeah, I looked it up and it finished end of last year.

Didn't need that to drive them up, believe me.

Corollary, since I travel there so much: You would not believe what an absolute piece of poo poo motel costs in Palo Alto/Silicon Valley. I mean the 101 is a traffic nightmare but when airport hotels (SFO) look like a bargain and are nicer to boot you know something is off. I eat the drive even though my company pays for the hotel; halfway nice ones are at top-tier 5 star prices these days. Edit: In Palo Alto, Menlo, etc.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 11, 2018

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i live in menlo and i am unironically level 3 on this. level 4 maybe if you sell national parks to canada

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

moana posted:

or maybe every job except for programming will be eliminated in the future robocalypse and the entire world will want to move to San Jose, who knows!!
That’s ridiculous, San Jose is only 1/5 of a Zanzibar.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i live in menlo and i am unironically level 3 on this. level 4 maybe if you sell national parks to canada

Borrowing your design sensibilities from 5 though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8xu67j/car_totaled_with_no_collision_or_gap_insurance/

huh, I thought if there was a lien on the car it was required to have full coverage. Maybe just in my state?

SiGmA_X posted:

This is a good BWM story.

This is also a good BWM story:
Mother wants to use my credit to buy a house she can’t afford. I need to move out ASAP but I don’t know what to do please help me.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8xr7mi/mother_wants_to_use_my_credit_to_buy_a_house_she/

I don't understand what is so hard about just saying 'no.' So many of these could just be solved by having a spine.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

huh, I thought if there was a lien on the car it was required to have full coverage. Maybe just in my state?

It's not by state, it's what the lien-holder requires, and hard to imagine there are any that don't. This guy is hosed. If he dropped collision to save money and the insurance company didn't notify the lien-holder (which happens) he's on the hook completely.

CornHolio posted:

I don't understand what is so hard about just saying 'no.' So many of these could just be solved by having a spine.

Parents are tough, but yeah, if he's not full of poo poo (and given it's a Reddit sob-story at least some of it most likely is) this seems like a clear case of grow a pair. I dunno, kids today need internet tough love?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

Borrowing your design sensibilities from 5 though.

it a copypasta

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I meant your architectural preferences.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

I meant your architectural preferences.

there are 7 million peeps in the sf bay area
seoul with all the less dense places and the suburbs taken out is 7 million
do the same with tokyo, it's about 9 million

exterminate every single family home

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Funny thing about real estate is one person's BWM story is often another person's GWM story depending on the timing. My sister in law took a big risk buying a place with her boyfriend when they were both 19 and a lot of things could've happened to turn it into one of these Reddit stories. To her credit, I've never met someone so financially disciplined to the point of being laser focused on obtaining home ownership.

It also illustrates some of the opportunity costs of going to college; she became convinced she could make more money by just working instead of going to school, and she was fortunate her and her husband both settled into lucrative careers that didn't require degrees nor were tech based.

Had she done all this a few years later chances are these opportunities wouldn't have lined up nearly as favorably. Though to her credit she was willing to make the kind of calculated sacrifices and risk many of her peers would balk at. In contrast they either take risks they can't see the possible consequences for (student loans for questionable degrees, horse mortgages, Truck-Boat-Trucks, etc) or they are aware of the consequences and balk at the prospect of things going to poo poo (taking a risky mortgage when you could lose your job or want to relocate soon after, scripting and saving for years for a down payment that gets gobbled up through future hardships, etc)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I don't understand the national parks line

They don't exactly tend to be in population dense areas.

Brutalist apartment blocks are the objectively correct aesthetic though

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Ixian posted:

Parents are tough, but yeah, if he's not full of poo poo (and given it's a Reddit sob-story at least some of it most likely is) this seems like a clear case of grow a pair. I dunno, kids today need internet tough love?

Being gaslighted, manipulated, and emotionally abused by the person who's supposed to be a primary caregiver generally undermines ones ability to do that :thunk: This is like a hair away from asking 'why don't depressed people just think positively?'.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Guest2553 posted:

Being gaslighted, manipulated, and emotionally abused by the person who's supposed to be a primary caregiver generally undermines ones ability to do that :thunk: This is like a hair away from asking 'why don't depressed people just think positively?'.
yep this is a text she sent the OP:

quote:

As I meditated with God I began to pray and ask him why is my relationship with my son so fragile and about to fall completely apart? I kept praying to God not my will but His will and it came to me that the strain and lack of trust is not me it’s because of my son fears that I will do to him what he has done to me the lying stealing and cheating this has caused his distrust for you. With that came a release of pressure from my heart and mind and I could let go of all the guilt. Because I knew I had done nothing but loved you but I now know I need to stop looking for or depending on you for support. God promised he would be what ever I needed I just needed to trust him. For that I am sorry I did that to you. I kept trying to make be like the men in the Bible and Ruth when she took care of her mother in law after her husband and all his brothers had died; cause the Bible says if the father dies the eldest son is head of the house and so on but though are not of these times and that was too much for me to want from you and I asked your forgiveness

Some crazy poo poo in that dribble. She's called him a pussy at the end in the most insane bible thumping way possible. Also accused him of stealing and lying to her.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

brugroffil posted:

I don't understand the national parks line

They don't exactly tend to be in population dense areas.

Brutalist apartment blocks are the objectively correct aesthetic though

I mean they don't -have- to be brutalist, but that looks a hell of a lot better than endless miles of identical stick-framed townhouses.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

I mean they don't -have- to be brutalist, but that looks a hell of a lot better than endless miles of identical stick-framed townhouses.

Uh. No it doesn't.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CornHolio posted:

Ixian posted:

He's said no. He's asking for advice on how to accelerate his escape plans by 6 months. Also you're both idiot robots.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Brutalist commieblocks have nothing on suburban hellsprawl for deleterious effects on the environment, economy and sanity of their dwellers.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

It's already hard enough being a short man; now they want to impose minimum height restrictions? :smith:

(And before you say they're talking about building codes, many of the other things on there effectively serve as population controls to reduce demand just as much as others are building changes to increase supply)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Which of them is population control? Besides napalm and bioweapons, I suppose

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Level 7 is "move to a different state"

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Please no more boring stories about your family that aren't bad with money. No one cares.

Whoops I have no money because I went on vacation a lot and somehow racked up all of these moving violations and got my license taken away in Georgia:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8xpbvu/small_loan_for_big_mistakes/ posted:

small loan for big mistakes

heyo! first time posting in this thread. I have travelled a lot the past year(Cuba, 31 states back and forth) and carelessly have spent down to the low $100s in my bank account. Throughout those travels I have racked up many speeding tickets, equaling to about $1000 I do not have that if I want to pay my upcoming rent, or continue to eat. I am curious if any of you have taken out just $1000 to get back on your feet? To break it down: I need $350 to take a driving course. $250 to not be banned from GA. $350 to pay for tag plate fraud(total accident) And then whatever else for small, hidden fees or taxes. I've had a revoked license since April and I don't want anymore poo poo on my name due to poor decisions (all of these fines are from before February) Any advice?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

yep this is a text she sent the OP:

Some crazy poo poo in that dribble. She's called him a pussy at the end in the most insane bible thumping way possible. Also accused him of stealing and lying to her.

Yeah, I know a woman like that. Saying “no” isn’t going to work, she’ll just get louder and crazier and guilt tripping-er until he gives in or :sever:s.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

SiGmA_X posted:

It is a thing in NY, at least it was about 10 years ago when my dad bought a new car and tried to get comprehensive coverage. We needed to take it to some approved place where a guy took a picture of the car and like a closeup of the VIN before they would provide comprehensive coverage. I think it's supposed to be to combat some insurance fraud where someone gets comprehensive on a phantom car that mysterious wrecks or gets stolen shortly after and makes a claim.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

Ancillary Character posted:

It is a thing in NY, at least it was about 10 years ago when my dad bought a new car and tried to get comprehensive coverage. We needed to take it to some approved place where a guy took a picture of the car and like a closeup of the VIN before they would provide comprehensive coverage. I think it's supposed to be to combat some insurance fraud where someone gets comprehensive on a phantom car that mysterious wrecks or gets stolen shortly after and makes a claim.

Same in Massachusetts as well, again 10-ish years ago at least.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

$350 to pay for tag plate fraud(total accident)

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I know a woman like that. Saying “no” isn’t going to work, she’ll just get louder and crazier and guilt tripping-er until he gives in or :sever:s.
People like this view "No" as an opportunity to explain to you about how you're objectively wrong.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

He better freeze his credit or he’s in for a fun time.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

meat police posted:

He better freeze his credit or he’s in for a fun time.

[TELL] me how to have this mortgage removed from my credit report without having my mother arrested for fraud

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Hoodwinker posted:

People like this view "No" as an opportunity to explain to you about how you're objectively wrong.

Don't be weak? I would have no problems dealing with people like this. Why are people so afraid of the fellow ramping things up? You can escalate back to a higher level as well. Being thoroughly unpleasant and harsh is a life skill that some people apparently never acquired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

John Smith posted:

Don't be weak? I would have no problems dealing with people like this. Why are people so afraid of the fellow ramping things up? You can escalate back to a higher level as well. Being thoroughly unpleasant and harsh is a life skill that some people apparently never acquired.

Ignore John Smith etc etc but in case you didn't bother to read above, it seriously impairs your ability to deal with things and people when you are raised and manipulated by abusive narcissists for your entire life. People are not like robots that hatch from eggs and then consciously decide their personality traits in a vacuum.