Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What I'm asking is why couldn't they approve it with the amendments and such? If it's got huge popular support, doing so would hurt Democrats in the next election, if they could mess around with the law in all sorts of ways to serve their goals, and they were up against a ticking clock which they can blame all their actions on, why couldn't they just do the dang thing? Who or what was stopping them??

Their own caucus. They couldn't get enough support in either house to pass it in one out of the two, let alone both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44407795
Recreational cannabis passed the Canadian Senate 56 to 30, now it goes back to the parliament. Soon :canada: soon.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/391186-senators-introduce-bill-to-protect-states-from-federal-marijuana

Senators introduce bipartisan bill to protect state laws on marijuana posted:

Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) introduced a bipartisan bill on Thursday that would allow states to regulate marijuana without federal interference.

Warren and Gardner, who both represent states with legal recreational pot, introduced the legislation, known as Strengthening the Tenth Amendment Through Entrusting States (STATES) Act, as a response to the Trump administration's hard-line stance against the drug.

The bill would amend the Controlled Substances Act to include a framework that says it no longer applies to those following state, territory or tribal laws “relating to the manufacture, production, possession, distribution, dispensation, administration, or delivery of [marijuana]."

Washington Post had an opinion piece about this. Their take was that Jeff Sessions attempts to encourage a reversal on marijuana legalization has started inspiring a bipartisan backlash aimed at normalizing the status of the industry. As the marijuana industry becomes increasingly entrenched I think we are going to see a much more concerted push for bills like this, although I think this one will almost certainly fail.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Trump kinda vaguely supports rescinding the federal ban on grass:

quote:

“I support Sen. Gardner,” Trump said when asked about the bill. “I know exactly what he’s doing. We’re looking at it. But I probably will end up supporting that, yes.”

r/T_D is going apeshit saying this is a Master Troll move to steal the issue from the Dems and get all the stoners and minorities to vote for Trump.

In fairness, I think the Dems are dumb as gently caress if they let the GOP steal this issue from under them, as almost happened in 2016 since 3/4 of the GOP candidates were all "states rights" on weed yet HRC kept up her drug warrior stance.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

He'd be stupid to not try a hail Mary at this point.

Unfortunately even if it gets voted on in the Senate (Mitch wouldn't allow it), it will get blocked by Pete Sessions in the house, killing it.

gently caress you, Texas.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's my understanding that the President could simply deschedule it without any vote needed, simply by telling the head of the FDA "hey take weed off the schedule list" at literally anytime.

Which makes Obama's failure to do so...troubling.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Dumbass doesn't know that, nor could he possibly be hosed to put the effort in

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Trump kinda vaguely supports rescinding the federal ban on grass:

r/T_D is going apeshit saying this is a Master Troll move to steal the issue from the Dems and get all the stoners and minorities to vote for Trump.

In fairness, I think the Dems are dumb as gently caress if they let the GOP steal this issue from under them, as almost happened in 2016 since 3/4 of the GOP candidates were all "states rights" on weed yet HRC kept up her drug warrior stance.

It's sort of insane that anyone would fall for this halfway through 2018.

He'll say anything. He'll change his mind tomorrow. It doesn't matter what Trump says.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

WampaLord posted:

It's my understanding that the President could simply deschedule it without any vote needed, simply by telling the head of the FDA "hey take weed off the schedule list" at literally anytime.

I was looking at this and the legal situation appears really complicated. Like it seems like he might be able to do that. . . but would need his Attorney General (Jeff Sessions), to sign on. Or maybe not. Or maybe the executive could unilaterally deschedule, if marijuana weren't internationally banned by UN treaty, according to some law.

If any law goons understand the issues involved it would be interesting to hear what they have to say about the Executive's control over federal scheduling. Even if it is just fantasy under the current administration.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Hot take from gibbis:

Egbert Souse posted:

If Trump legalizes weed, evangelicals will stop calling it devil's lettuce and rename it Jesus Salad

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Hot take from gibbis:

i remember watching some short video about an evangelical christian woman in one of the legal states (don't remember which) who, like most evangelicals, normally decided that weed was for heathens but gave it a try. while stoned she felt weed gave her a new way to communicate with her god and opened a small dispensary. jesus salad is right.

Here's a related article: The creed includes weed for these Colorado Christians same idea.

it reminds me of the hallucinogens that are used by some religious people for this reason

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

WampaLord posted:

This is something Obama is going to be more vilified for failing to do as the years go by like how Clinton's welfare reform and sexual assault look more awful by the year. Future generations will not get why this didn't happen.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This is something Obama is going to be more vilified for failing to do as the years go by like how Clinton's welfare reform and sexual assault look more awful by the year. Future generations will not get why this didn't happen.

It seems odd to single out Obama to vilify for not descheduling it. It was his DoJ that allowed the legal recreational states to flourish instead of cracking down.

I get being disappointed, I guess I feel like vilified is a strong word for it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Obama's administration absolutely did take positive steps and they didn't try to deschedule for real reasons. I'm saying that in 20 years or so when a little of the nuance of our times is lost, people are going to wonder why it didn't happen. I'm saying it's going to reflect poorly on him long term.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Obama always had an incredibly dismissive attitude about the issue, at one point when asked about legalization he literally just laughed as a response.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Canada pronounces Oct 17th as the day it goes legal.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cannabis-pot-legalization-bill-1.4713839 posted:

Trudeau says pot will be legal as of Oct. 17, 2018

Jody Wilson-Raybould says progressive policy will replace failed model that made criminals rich

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced today that Canadians will be able to consume marijuana recreationally without criminal penalties starting on Oct. 17, 2018.

(From the article) Upon coming into force, adults in Canada will be legally allowed to:
  • purchase fresh or dried cannabis, cannabis oil, plants and seeds for cultivation from either a provincially or territorially regulated retailer, or — where this option is not available — directly from a federally licensed producer;
  • possess up to 30 grams of dried legal cannabis or its equivalent in public;
  • share up to 30 grams (or its equivalent) of legal cannabis and legal cannabis products with other adults;
  • cultivate up to four plants at home (four plants total per household); and
  • prepare varying types of cannabis products (e.g., edibles) at home for personal use provided that no dangerous organic solvents are used in the process.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

unknown posted:

Canada pronounces Oct 17th as the day it goes legal.

(From the article) Upon coming into force, adults in Canada will be legally allowed to:
  • purchase fresh or dried cannabis, cannabis oil, plants and seeds for cultivation from either a provincially or territorially regulated retailer, or — where this option is not available — directly from a federally licensed producer;
  • possess up to 30 grams of dried legal cannabis or its equivalent in public;
  • share up to 30 grams (or its equivalent) of legal cannabis and legal cannabis products with other adults;
  • cultivate up to four plants at home (four plants total per household); and
  • prepare varying types of cannabis products (e.g., edibles) at home for personal use provided that no dangerous organic solvents are used in the process.

I was reading that Quebec wanted to disallow the cultivation of plants at home entirely. Does this bill allow the provinces such lee-way?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Possibly dumb question from someone who doesn't smoke:

Is 30 grams a lot? How far would that take an average user?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Don Pigeon posted:

I was reading that Quebec wanted to disallow the cultivation of plants at home entirely. Does this bill allow the provinces such lee-way?

My understanding is that it doesn't. I'm guessing this will probably end up in court.

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!

Spalec posted:

That's just over an ounce and its a pretty good amount. Use can vary widely though, that could last a person a week or two or a month or two depending.
Like a normal joint or blunt is probably going to be in the neighborhood of 1 gram.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Spalec posted:

A lot of smokers use between an eighth and a quarter (3.5g to 7g) in a week, depending on tolerance, bud quality, consumption method and the availability of a solid X-Files marathon

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Spalec posted:

An ounce will last me a month, but i know plenty of people who would blow through it in a week.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Don Pigeon posted:

New Brunswick decided to dive in head first with my town, Saint John, getting the first government run cannabis store. In NB alcohol is controlled by ANBL which is a crown corp. The provincial government basically told them to get ready and since then a bunch of huge legal grow ops have started popping all over the south. Should be interesting. Saint John is a cruise ship destination so I suspect a store will be opening up down at the boardwalk soon.

Spalec posted:

I generally go through a half ounce a week. Most people aren't going to carry around a full ounce so I don't mind that law.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Spalec posted:

30 grams is roughly 60 average-sized joints. A heavy smoker would get through it in 2 weeks. Average about a month. If you are using a high quality vaporizer it will last you 3-4 months.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Entorwellian posted:

30 grams is roughly 60 average-sized joints. A heavy smoker would get through it in 2 weeks. Average about a month. If you are using a high quality vaporizer it will last you 3-4 months.

An oz would last me less than a month with a volcano, but that was partially due to tolerance.

Super psyched for Canada, now just hoping NY follows through next year.

Vyacheslav
Aug 4, 2003
If I'm not mistaken, recreational sales start in Massachusetts on July 1st as well. I've been trying to find out more, but haven't heard much about what that's going to look like.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Vyacheslav posted:

If I'm not mistaken, recreational sales start in Massachusetts on July 1st as well. I've been trying to find out more, but haven't heard much about what that's going to look like.

It seems like they're trying to go slow.

Recreational marijuana shops in Mass. might not be able to open by July 1 posted:

Hoffman also said he would be OK with having no retail shops open for a few weeks after the July 1 target date if it means avoiding a problematic rollout.

‘‘We are going to do this right,’’ he said. “If that means we have few or no stores on July 1 and it takes a few more weeks, I hope and expect that everybody in the state believes that’s the right thing to do. We certainly believe that’s the right thing to do.”

Hoffman said he expects the commission will begin taking up license applications “soon.” When asked if July 1 could still be the first day of legal marijuana sales in Massachusetts, he said, “It could be.”

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Vyacheslav posted:

So far only one adult-use marijuana license has been issued...and it's for cultivation purposes only...and it's a provisional license that still requires a state-inspection of the premises before a final license is issued. Apparently no licenses will be awarded this week either, which is kind of ridiculous. One of the big hurdles in Massachusetts has been the cities and towns, who have really dragged their feet, but I'm really surprised that the "roll-out" date will come and there won't be a single retail license issued. The thought had been that many of the medical licensees had the logistical wherewithal to make it happen next week, but they're not even licensed... As a practical matter, it is unlikely stores will be open in Massachusetts before the fall, but I would love to be wrong.

The Massachusetts Attorney General deciding to bless an extended moratorium by a town that voted for the referendum back in November, 2016 also isn't helping matters! https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/06/24/attorney-general-ruling-could-slow-mass-marijuana-industry/jbrONNL0DfY4Xwvax577tL/story.html

https://mobile.twitter.com/Dan_Adams86/status/1011254283386478593

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

MooselanderII posted:

As a practical matter, it is unlikely stores will be open in Massachusetts before the fall, but I would love to be wrong

well that's a bummer, I've been slacking on reupping here on the VT side and I'm going to run out before my fall harvest, and I was thinking "eh sweet I'll just hop the border for some of that sweet retail weed". Nerp. By the time your stores are running I'll be on the Free Weed Forever plan.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Can we just legalize it already?

https://twitter.com/OklahomaWatch/status/1011797421410717696

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It's pretty encouraging to see these kinds of moves in red country. Apparently even in Texas there's majority support for full legalization in just about every demographic. Even Republicans. We're fast approaching the point where federal action becomes likely.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Also the FDA just approved a CBD based epilepsy drug, requiring a reschedule in order for it to hit market if it ever does

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
The Equal Rights Amendment is one state away from being ratified. I wonder if that is an avenue for Federal medical cannabis. If every state trying passes this year that gets to 35 so maybe in 2 years.

https://twitter.com/tomangell/status/1011990568514342912

Schumer is trying to do it the old fashioned way.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Happy Legal Weed Day, Vermont!

:toot:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm celebrating by doing the same thing I do every day.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Unkempt posted:

Happy Legal Weed Day, Vermont!

:toot:

I'm trying to give 4 plants away to people on reddit :-P

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I had a federal marshall walk into my dispensary, our rules say " If you are a member of law enforcement please leave" so he asked me "hey im a federal marshall and my loving back is killing me, can i be an exception??" Yes of course; he comes out like MAN IF ALL COPS DID THIS WEED WOULD BE LEGAL IN A WEEK after rubbing half a container of menthol loation on himself.

Get in on it now folks, 5 years or less we will we this industry bloom into a giant.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 3, 2018

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

LeoMarr posted:

I had a federal marshall walk into my dispensary, our rules say " If you are a member of law enforcement please leave" so he asked me "hey im a federal marshall and my loving back is killing me, can i be an exception??" Yes of course; he comes out like MAN IF ALL COPS DID THIS WEED WOULD BE LEGAL IN A WEEK after rubbing half a container of menthol loation on himself.

Get in on it now folks, 5 years or less we will we this industry bloom into a giant.

I am watching with bated breath to see what happens with increasing legalization in my little green state, because as soon as we have recreational sales there are going to be people trying to get in on it who need to establish some kind of web / mobile / etc presence, and suddenly there will be demand in the industry for my skill set.

I can grow pretty good weeds, too, but trying to horn into the supply side seems like a much tougher battle than finding someone else who's made inroads there and has a specific need for someone who does what I do professionally.

edit: just gave some plants away to a random redditor who's never grown weed before this is awesome :metal:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 5, 2018

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

The UK government has given out its first license allowing a person to import THC oil for medicinal use through customs. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-44788448 hopefully now the precedents been set this'll lead to an increase in access since the NHS probably won't be in a position to expand its own cannabis based treatments for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Well, that took less than 2 weeks.

https://vtdigger.org/2018/07/11/weed-entrepreneurs-push-boundaries-vermonts-legalization-law/amp/

quote:

“To celebrate, we’re offering FREE CANNABIS GIFTS to everyone over the age of 21 living in or visiting Chittenden County!” says the Facebook post announcing their services. “You simply pay a delivery fee for secure, discreet delivery of your gift to your home, office, hotel or a local meeting place!”

The gifts vary in size based on the delivery fee customers pay: $50 dollars will pay for the delivery of an eighth of an ounce, $170 will get customers half an ounce, and $320 will cover a full ounce, the post explains.

Rolling Flower’s business model is just one example of how Vermont cannabis entrepreneurs are looking for ways to start up or advance their businesses in the wake of a narrow legalization law that allows limited possession and cultivation. Selling the drug remains illegal.

Giving up to an ounce of marijuana to others for free is legal, however, and law enforcement officials in Vermont have yet to weigh in on the legality of businesses like Rolling Flower who “gift” marijuana to customers while charging them an inflated fee for related products or services.

I guess I should find a discreet Chittenden coffee house to hang out in, though driving to Burlington is pretty obnoxious. If this continues to fly, it's still going to be some period of time before anyone is offering deliveries to the boonies.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 12, 2018