Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I'm disapointed to hear this about white wolf, I liked their game worlds. Especially weird considering the Exalted team is/was trying to give their game more representation for marginalized groups There is a twisted business logic to market to the reactionary shitheads that infest the tabletop rpg community

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

At least I'll have posthuman studios, who's anarchist writers repeatably trigger the chuds. Most recently by stating that Eclipse Phase's Ultimates faction was going to be overtly fascist in the new edition

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

twoday posted:

Besides the people that produce it, what sort of oversight are you expecting?

Theoretically someone in the chain at white wolf had to sign off on that title besides the team that put it together

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Battletech is the only good tabletop game in you need to know absolutely zero of the lore to enjoy it

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dreddout posted:

I'm disapointed to hear this about white wolf, I liked their game worlds. Especially weird considering the Exalted team is/was trying to give their game more representation for marginalized groups There is a twisted business logic to market to the reactionary shitheads that infest the tabletop rpg community

Onyx Path is still okay and you can support them minus beast

But the guy who made beast got outed as a straight up rapist soooooo

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the two dumbest ideas in tabletop rpgdom being bad for the opposite reason from each other is legit interesting, imo.

the gypsies book makes for a pretty neat set of adventure hooks! if you didn't know that the romani were real people, and not some kind of loving orc put on the face of the planet to be murdered for loot, it could fit in pretty much any fantasy setting. it's a very Woke Brands brand of hideous: real-world horrors being thrown through the corporate meat grinder to produce some delicious current-events-flavored Content(tm)

by comparison the holocaust one treats its subject matter with the seriousness it is due. no secret vampire wizard satan bullshit behind Auschwitz or Birkenau. just pure man's inhumanity to man, and a great raw wound in our self-conception as civilised peoples that's still red and ragged today.

SO WHO WANTS TO PLAY PRETEND ABOUT IT, GANG!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Dreddout posted:

well the business side of things is rough too, since Onyx Path (who do Exalted along with the new Chronicles of Darkness stuff, planned reboots of Trinity & Scion, etc.) is very much a separate team from the new White Wolf that Swededracula bought out with his videogame money, but all of their important IPs are licensed from White Wolf

otoh they did put out the game about being a super-cool self-justifying supernatural abuser fighting off perfidious normies that turned out to be written by a child molester

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LGD posted:

well the business side of things is rough too, since Onyx Path (who do Exalted along with the new Chronicles of Darkness stuff, planned reboots of Trinity & Scion, etc.) is very much a separate team from the new White Wolf that Swededracula bought out with his videogame money, but all of their important IPs are licensed from White Wolf

otoh they did put out the game about being a super-cool self-justifying supernatural abuser fighting off perfidious normies that turned out to be written by a child molester

They don't seem to be continuing to support beast at least

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Plus the next line is about being a mad science experiment

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Onyx Path is still okay and you can support them minus beast

But the guy who made beast got outed as a straight up rapist soooooo

I didn't like beast anyway, but of loving course the dude who writes a book pandering to otherkin is a sex offender

What's the distinction between white wolf and onyx path nowadays?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also we have a few OPP people who post on SA and none of them seem to be a fan pf beast

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Plus the next line is about being a mad science experiment

I'm mad about that game

mad that it hasn't come out yet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

beast should have been publicly disavowed and recalled from whichever stores still had dusty copies on their shelves

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Subjunctive posted:

beast should have been publicly disavowed and recalled from whichever stores still had dusty copies on their shelves

none of them because they dont use that business model anymore

they sell hardcovers to kickstarter backers, and PDFs and print on demand paperbacks on drive thru rpg

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

none of them because they dont use that business model anymore

they sell hardcovers to kickstarter backers, and PDFs and print on demand paperbacks on drive thru rpg

I thought they were still using FLGSs when Beast went out in 2015 or whatever. I guess they could pull from DTRPG then.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also we have a few OPP people who post on SA and none of them seem to be a fan pf beast

so you’re saying they’re not down with it?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dreddout posted:

I didn't like beast anyway, but of loving course the dude who writes a book pandering to otherkin is a sex offender

white wolf owns the WoD IP (and is owned by paradox) and is (very slowly) getting into making new oWoD stuff

onyx path is a separate company that get to use the IP to mostly make Chronicles of Darkness stuff (which is just rebranded nWoD after paradox bought out white wolf and didn't want as much brand confusion over what 'new world of darkness' books would mean going forward)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

theflyingexecutive posted:

so you’re saying they’re not down with it?

yeah, you know them

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Taintrunner posted:

Battletech is the only good tabletop game in you need to know absolutely zero of the lore to enjoy it

lore is for children

mechanics are why to play.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dreddout posted:

white wolf is owned by the same company that owns paraox, and are basically some dudes passion project ot make more problematic RPGs

onyx path is a bunch of freelancers who were licensing the new world of darkness stuff from white wolf/the people who owned white wolf and they renamed it to chronicles of darkness to avoid confusion

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't get this, tabletop rpgs have been reactionary edgelord poo poo since the beginning. Is it really just adding loving frog that made people realize this poo poo is not woke? It's a genre made by and for "WW2" and "civil war" historical artifact collectors.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OmanyteJackson posted:

I don't get this, tabletop rpgs have been reactionary edgelord poo poo since the beginning. Is it really just adding loving frog that made people realize this poo poo is not woke? It's a genre made by and for "WW2" and "civil war" historical artifact collectors.

I still like the 40k/fantasy stuff, yeah moron chuds like it for the wrong reasons because they are dumb fucks, but i find the lore interesting and humorous and i kinda like the direction its moving in.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
As someone whose only experience with warhammer is the fan art thread, what are the right reasons for liking 40k?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

OmanyteJackson posted:

As someone whose only experience with warhammer is the fan art thread, what are the right reasons for liking 40k?

staring into the abyss

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

OmanyteJackson posted:

idk. i like the universe, everyone is amusingly lovely and awful and its giant pretty open universe with lots fun debates over lore poo poo and some of the books are weirdly legit good plus some good video games. the wrong reasons are mostly weird nazi types who unronicaly jerk off to chaos or the imperium of man and think that those are legit good ideas for the real world.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk. i like the universe, everyone is amusingly lovely and awful and its giant pretty open universe with lots fun debates over lore poo poo and some of the books are weirdly legit good plus some good video games. the wrong reasons are mostly weird nazi types who unronicaly jerk off to chaos or the imperium of man and think that those are legit good ideas for the real world.

ok i guess

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

staring into the abyss

SOLD!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

40k was satire for a long time but then I guess they realized fascism sells.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

OmanyteJackson posted:

white wolf's corpse is interesting in this regard because, bless them, they tried to push the limits in the way only a bunch of 90s kids could. where they were good, they went places that nobody else went and told very interesting stories about it. for example, the core concept of the gameline Exalted: "at any given time in this bronze-age-ish world, three hundred people who can reach Superman-level expertise in any given field of human achievement exist. the foundation of civilization is regularly finding and killing them before they have a chance to grow into their full powers. because before that was the case, there was not civilization. there were three hundred god-kings, and there were the inconveniently free-willed game pieces they used to play games with. you are one of the returning baby god-kings. the world wants you dead. surely, they are wrong to want this! you could help them against all the problems that beset them! IF ONLY YOU COULD MAKE THEM LISTEN TO YOU."

it's an excellent setup! as a game about being ludicrously powerful, players inevitably move towards doing awful things in the name of accomplishing their goals because they can, and there's almost noone who can stop them!

where they were bad, well, the phrase "competitive child gang-rape" appeared more than once.

where they were good they were very very good, and where they were bad they justifiably put people off the hobby forever.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

cenotaph posted:

40k was satire for a long time but then I guess they realized fascism sells.

people who didnt realise it was satire became the people in charge

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i played the warhammer rts game with my friends for a bit and you get a unit thats a squad of like 9 grunts and you can build a commissar to attach to the squad who has a special ability where he executes one of the grunts "on charges of cowardice" and it makes the remaining 8 grunts get bonuses to fight better for a few seconds. it was a really good satire via a game mechanic implementation.

another fun part of the story is that humanity has lost all knowledge of how basic electronics work because of religious fundamentalism or whatever and so the people who are charged with keeping the spaceships and other warmachines working are called "engin-seers" who commune with the "machine spirits"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OmanyteJackson posted:

They really haven't been reactionary edgelord poo poo because they weren't pushing back against changing values until recently and even then there's plenty of things coming out that aren't by or for chuds

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Like even onyx Path poo poo is decidedly non chudly (minus beast) and that's derived from the game that's going full nazi now!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
how nazi is the non 40k warhammer with gobbos and waaagh

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

got any sevens posted:

how nazi is the non 40k warhammer with gobbos and waaagh

Not particularly. For instance, while the empire is basically devoted to Sigmar, a human who attained godhood, it is still polytheistic and has heavy regional differences in culture as well as elf, dwarf, halfling, and ogre residents. As I understand it it's based loosely on the holy roman empire. There are human nation analogues for spain and italy where a particular goddess is revered, and Bretonnia is basically Arthurian stuff. You have more stuff like the races uniting to face off chaos incursions than the universal hate everyone shares for each other in 40k. There are witch hunters, though, as internal threats from chaos are a problem.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

They really haven't been reactionary edgelord poo poo because they weren't pushing back against changing values until recently and even then there's plenty of things coming out that aren't by or for chuds

that's because Nazis became trendy for these guys back in 08. before that the big thing was Satan worship because it triggers politicians and the press the same way. it's the same kind of dudes, you could say the devil stuff is more harmless now but that's kind of the point.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

cenotaph posted:

Not particularly. For instance, while the empire is basically devoted to Sigmar, a human who attained godhood, it is still polytheistic and has heavy regional differences in culture as well as elf, dwarf, halfling, and ogre residents. As I understand it it's based loosely on the holy roman empire. There are human nation analogues for spain and italy where a particular goddess is revered, and Bretonnia is basically Arthurian stuff. You have more stuff like the races uniting to face off chaos incursions than the universal hate everyone shares for each other in 40k. There are witch hunters, though, as internal threats from chaos are a problem.

someone in c-spam had a really good take that the nazi faction aren't the empire, but the skaven

a bunch of completely craven, narcissistic idiots that are only empowered in groups and constantly undermine each other. they're hellbent on genocide, but are too preoccupied with their harebrained schemes to rise to the top to actually implement them. most importantly, the empire refuses to acknowledge that they're a serious threat and pretends they don't exist, even thought they're breeding at a massive rate right under their feet

when they blew up the warhammer world, iirc they even went up to the moon, which could be a very strained metaphor for operation paperclip

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

re: 40k not being satire: reminder that the soccer hooligan, the orks, had nazis strapped to rockets as a unit and Margaret Thatcher as a special character (Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OmanyteJackson posted:

that's because Nazis became trendy for these guys back in 08. before that the big thing was Satan worship because it triggers politicians and the press the same way. it's the same kind of dudes, you could say the devil stuff is more harmless now but that's kind of the point.

nah

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

OmanyteJackson posted:

I know vampire the masquerade had a lot of LGBT fans back in the 90's, because the theme of social alienation and having to hide from society spoke to them

White Wolf, for it's many faults, used to make an effort to appeal to marginalized groups whether they wanted to be gay vampires or minority werewolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cenotaph posted:

Though they then burnt down the entire setting for an ill-advised reboot where everything now has legally distinct trademarkable names and they live in random elemental planes or something. Apparently at the moment they're trying to win back all the players they pissed off by establishing actual setting fluff and history again, and there's also soul-stealing sea elves who ride flying sharks and giant turtles.