Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Give me a Damage Control series that directly tied to all the movies instead of avoiding them like Netflix. Have it play like a documentary, use a skeleton crew and just hop between the film production reusing sets whenever possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The MCU doesn't have enough established villains that are still alive to do the Thunderbolts. Starting them off unestablished like Suicide Squad tried to do just wouldn't really work, in my opinion.

I'd say Thunderbolts is a better fit for a tv series because of the central question of "can X be redeemed or will they stay bad?" which is very soap opera-y, but I'm not sure an Agents of SHIELD budget would work for that premise.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yes let's have a major mcu movie about a team of villains that haven't ever been introduced led by a Nazi this is surely a good idea

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1016813204406665216
:toot:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Young Avengers seems like such a no brainer. A lot of the characters that would be in it are already pretty popular, and others would be good to introduce.

We are living in the worst timeline.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Yes let's have a major mcu movie about a team of villains that haven't ever been introduced led by a Nazi this is surely a good idea

Zemo is by no means essential to the concept.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

site posted:

Zemo is very explicitly not a Nazi in the MCU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

To me the best Thunderbolts are dark reign era Thunderbolts but that comes with a lot of baggage, and mostly because of Norman, so that dog probably won't hunt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Young Avengers seems like such a no brainer. A lot of the characters that would be in it are already pretty popular, and others would be good to introduce.

Feige has claimed that they've set up some Young Avengers stuff that will eventually pay off.

The best way to do Thunderbolts would be with the original twist. Have a movie with a bunch of new heroes (say picking up the torch after the events of IW) but then with a reveal that they're all secretly villains.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You'd have to give them an entirely new name and codenames for that to work, and even then people would probably suspect a twist when Marvel decides to have a movie with characters nobody's ever heard of.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

We are living in the worst timeline.

I was afraid Leto's movie being greenlit would kill this one. I'm pumped. I'mma watch The Master again now and imagine face paint and a purple suit.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Would you guys be more interested in a Young Avengers movie or a Thunderbolts movie?

Wasn't there an aged up Cassie Lang casting rumor? That certainly plays into a Young Avengers idea.

Otherwise I'd rather see a Thunderbolts movie. The possible line-up isn't great with the choices looking to be between: Vulture, Ghost, Zemo, maybe the return of Blonsky or even Justin Hammer in a comedic role again. They need more charismatic or sympathetic villains to survive their films.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Fun Fact: Amadeus is technically in The Incredible Hulk with whitewashed Martin Starr casting, but ya know, Incredible Hulk.

Wait what, was he credited as such?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not in the movie, but apparently in the novelization.

That's never any kind of canon though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AngryBooch posted:

The possible line-up isn't great with the choices looking to be between: Vulture, Ghost, Zemo, maybe the return of Blonsky or even Justin Hammer in a comedic role again. They need more charismatic or sympathetic villains to survive their films.

Surtr could be possible, though he was very thin as a character, and I'd believe that Hela survived Ragnarok - we pointedly did not see her body. Bringing Ultron back wouldn't be hard, either. The Sovereign are still around on the cosmic side of things, as are Starhawk and his gang.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Give me Molecule Man and Beyonder.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, she got obliterated by a fiery sword too so it could just be there is none left.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

AngryBooch posted:

Wasn't there an aged up Cassie Lang casting rumor? That certainly plays into a Young Avengers idea.

Otherwise I'd rather see a Thunderbolts movie. The possible line-up isn't great with the choices looking to be between: Vulture, Ghost, Zemo, maybe the return of Blonsky or even Justin Hammer in a comedic role again. They need more charismatic or sympathetic villains to survive their films.

It's too bad Venom isn't part of the MCU.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Not in the movie, but apparently in the novelization.

That's never any kind of canon though.

Yeah that's stupid.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Young Avengers would be cool. How many villains do we even have left? Enough for a 6 man team?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
If they introduce Kang you could do the first six issues of the YA comic.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lurdiak posted:

The MCU doesn't have enough established villains that are still alive to do the Thunderbolts. Starting them off unestablished like Suicide Squad tried to do just wouldn't really work, in my opinion.

It worked for Guardians. That’s more an issue of Warner/DC being terrible than anything.

Thunderbolts is a cool concept, and the MCU is good at taking good concepts and changing what doesn’t work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Young Avengers would be cool. How many villains do we even have left? Enough for a 6 man team?

Abomination, Leader, Justin Hammer, Mordo, and that's about it. And obviously Mordo is going to be saved for Dr. Strange 2. You could easily say the Red Skull survived being sent to the space cube dimension but I absolutely don't want that guy in a protagonist role of any kind.

Man, there really haven't been a lot of Marvel movies that don't involve Thor, Iron Man or Captain America in some way. It feels like there's way more.

Retro Futurist posted:

It worked for Guardians. That’s more an issue of Warner/DC being terrible than anything.

Thunderbolts is a cool concept, and the MCU is good at taking good concepts and changing what doesn’t work.

That is not at all the same kind of thing. Thunderbolts is about legitimate villains being forced into a heroic role. Not puckish rogues.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think it will be more likely they will introduce someone inspired by Cap than to pass the Cap identity along at this point.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lurdiak posted:

Abomination, Leader, Justin Hammer, Mordo, and that's about it. And obviously Mordo is going to be saved for Dr. Strange 2. You could easily say the Red Skull survived being sent to the space cube dimension but I absolutely don't want that guy in a protagonist role of any kind.

Man, there really haven't been a lot of Marvel movies that don't involve Thor, Iron Man or Captain America in some way. It feels like there's way more.

Red Skull is alive and well, protecting the Soul Stone's world.

As I noted before, Surtr is still around though I can't imagine how/why he'd end up in the Thunderbolts. Zemo and Vulture are also still alive, plus as of Ant-Man and the Wasp, Ghost is alive and kicking. Starhawk and his gang from Guardians 2 if you want to go that route.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Scorpion and Shocker 2.0 as well

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cythereal posted:

As I noted before, Surtr is still around though I can't imagine how/why he'd end up in the Thunderbolts.

Man there's a reason I didn't mention him or Dormammu.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lurdiak posted:

Man there's a reason I didn't mention him or Dormammu.

Eh, guy's gotta find something to do now that Ragnarok is over and Asgard's destroyed.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Retro Futurist posted:

Yeah two of the mistakes Warner/DC made was having too large of a cast and bringing in Will Smith. No real problems with his performance but a superstar actor in your movie does come with plenty of baggage. His presence eats up a lot of screen time which is a problem in an ensemble piece and often have clauses in their contract that can be difficult to work around.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I don't think a Thunderbolts movie (or show, which would probably be more appropriate) needs more than a few recognized villains. Zemo, Mordo maybe (who knows how he'll go after Strange 2), AM+W Spoiler, and then fill in the rest with yet-unseen villains, like a lesser Wrecking Crew member (ie not Crusher) or Shocker or whatever. A lot of the initial show could be carried by a reform-ish Zemo and a semi-Doom-esque Mordo.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

site posted:

Why would anyone want a thunderbolts movie

I'd love a Thunderbolts movie with Zemo putting together a team of not-too-far-gone criminals for an MCU Suicide Squad, including Vulture and Ghost. Hell, stick Hawkeye or Ant-Man in there as the field leader to keep them on the straight and narrow, or better yet, Jimmy Woo!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah two of the mistakes Warner/DC made was having too large of a cast and bringing in Will Smith. No real problems with his performance but a superstar actor in your movie does come with plenty of baggage. His presence eats up a lot of screen time which is a problem in an ensemble piece and often have clauses in their contract that can be difficult to work around.

Most Suicide Squad stuff lately features Deadshot heavily anyway.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I forgot we have Scorpion to look forward to. I also forgot that 2/3 Cap films have other Avengers as the primary antagonists, so they're all out. Did the Mandarin survive Iron Man 3?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SonicRulez posted:

Did the Mandarin survive Iron Man 3?

No, Pepper killed him.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'd love a Thunderbolts movie with Zemo putting together a team of not-too-far-gone criminals for an MCU Suicide Squad, including Vulture and Ghost. Hell, stick Hawkeye or Ant-Man in there as the field leader to keep them on the straight and narrow, or better yet, Jimmy Woo!

SonicRulez posted:

I forgot we have Scorpion to look forward to. I also forgot that 2/3 Cap films have other Avengers as the primary antagonists, so they're all out. Did the Mandarin survive Iron Man 3?

Batroc the fuckin Leaper

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Chill Penguin posted:

Batroc the fuckin Leaper

Batroc was killed in prison by Hydra I believe.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Jimmy Woo AM&TW Very disappointed there was no Agents of Atlas set up as far as I saw!

Maybe the one of the villains of Captain Marvel will survive, is Moonstone in it?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AngryBooch posted:

Maybe the one of the villains of Captain Marvel will survive, is Moonstone in it?

We don't know yet. We know Captain Marvel will be about a conflict between the Kree and Krull empires, and that Ronan the Accuser will be leading the Kree forces (or possibly is just one of the Kree leaders), but the only new character confirmed and cast so far is Mar-vell.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Everyone's counting on Captain Marvel to be the big thing for the next Avengers movie, but I think it'd be hilarious if we get a shot of her checking her space-pager and then she just crumbles away.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cythereal posted:

No, Pepper killed him.

I thought he was a crisis actor?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jamesman posted:

Everyone's counting on Captain Marvel to be the big thing for the next Avengers movie, but I think it'd be hilarious if we get a shot of her checking her space-pager and then she just crumbles away.

Part 2 starts with the rest of the Avengers dissolving, a delayed reaction. The rest of the movie is Thanos' wacky vacation mixup.

• Locked thread