Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Midjack posted:

Who's dreading it? Putin or Jinping: press the button and deliver us from this bullshit.:pray:

The only question is, how many megatons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'm glad that one thing reared it's head at 2018 and said gently caress you we're not giving in

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SimonCat posted:

The only question is, how many megatons?

I eschew you.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I'm in the NoVA suburbs so I won't get glassed, just months of radiation sickness. Honestly that's probably the best punishment for living in the suburbs.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I'm still amazed that Musk built a large metal dildo, jury-rigged oxygen tanks to it, added a threaded hatch, gave it absolutely no propulsion and people agreed to call it "mini submarine".

I'm not even starting on the impossibility of that cumbersome thing even coming close to fitting through the passages that actual humans had to crawl through.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The thing that scared the hell out of me about that was when they opened it in the test pool and somebody was watching a pressure gauge and calling out when it got to 1 psig. Was he gonna give all those kids the bends? Was he gonna Byford Dolphin those kids?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm still amazed that Musk built a large metal dildo, jury-rigged oxygen tanks to it, added a threaded hatch, gave it absolutely no propulsion and people agreed to call it "mini submarine".

I'm not even starting on the impossibility of that cumbersome thing even coming close to fitting through the passages that actual humans had to crawl through.

I still don't know what was my favorite feature, the unshielded oxygen tanks and hoses or the 3 minute procedure to open it with multiple size fasteners.

e: bit of clarity. VVV Oh yeah, forgot that part. Just what you want to do after a 5 hour swim/trawl through water, lift a 200 pound coffin

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 11, 2018

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

As Nero Danced posted:

I still don't know what was my favorite feature, the unshielded oxygen tanks and hoses or the 3 minute procedure to open it with multiple fasteners.

It's the number of people required to lift it, as well as the fact that you can't access one of the bolts to open the hatch if you don't.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Elon Musk hasn't been this excited to deliver his miniature sub to boys in Pattaya since his Paypal days.

:discourse:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The only thing worse than Elon Musk's legion of dedicated fanbois is you guys not shutting the gently caress up about him and his stupid cave contraptions for the last week and a half. Like holy poo poo, there's a catastrophic flood in Japan, a boat capsized off the coast of Thailand, and Donald Trump is having a summit with Russian Hitler and y'all are retweeting Elon.

psydude fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 11, 2018

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

psydude posted:

The only thing worse than Elon Musk's legion of dedicated fanbois is you guys not shutting the gently caress up about him and his stupid cave contraptions for the last week and a half. Like holy poo poo, there's a catastrophic flood in Japan, a boat capsized off the coast of Thailand, and Donald Trump is having a summit with Russian Hitler and y'all are retweeting Elon.

:justpost: about it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

Well a lot of people in the media failed to call him on his bullshit so...

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Besides, the last page had a pleasant discussion about nuclear armageddon and the creeping death of radiation sickness.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I love fallout scenario stuff but dread the actual event. That story about that guy who basically had the chance to nuke the world when the alarms glitched out but didnt scared me enough.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I enjoy how the news called his Boring Company 'experts in drilling'.

Have they like drilled anything at all yet?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Soulex posted:

I love fallout scenario stuff but dread the actual event. That story about that guy who basically had the chance to nuke the world when the alarms glitched out but didnt scared me enough.

Stanislav Petrov. The cause of it was his detection facility was rushed to completion and had wonderful Soviet engineering tolerances. It saw sunlight light bounce off the top of a cloud over Kansas and thought it was the rockets of five ICBMs. If he had reported it that night (this was right after KAL 007 was shot down so every nation was condemning the USSR) Andropov very likely would have thought it was genuine and ordered a preemptive strike. It took them six months to fix their detection system.

To the Soviets, Petrov deciding not to report it was almost worse than the false alarm- it meant their troops were likely to disobey orders at key moments and go with their instincts.

Figured I might as well pimp it out a bit more, this was part of my thesis as well that some people wanted to read: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t38rp6ckc3m50dq/Thesis%20Final.pdf?dl=0

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Soulex posted:

The mind wonders how we haven't been destroyed in nuclear fire yet.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dance Officer posted:

The mind wonders how we haven't been destroyed in nuclear fire yet.

Don't forget the time the USA got false returns off the moon!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

psydude posted:

Like holy poo poo, there's a catastrophic flood in Japan, a boat capsized off the coast of Thailand, and Donald Trump is having a summit with Russian Hitler

Aren't these all things Elon should be helping with? you should tweet him about it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
By the way everyone that said Threads was hosed up wasn't kidding, holy poo poo that movie is bleak. Really really well done.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

As Nero Danced posted:

By the way everyone that said Threads was hosed up wasn't kidding, holy poo poo that movie is bleak. Really really well done.

I like how it starts off like an episode of EastEnders, and then steadily ratchets up the horror, until you have a little girl in rags raking what is probably literal poo poo in a post apocalyptic hell.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

yeah it's probably the most horrifying film i've ever seen

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

The only thing worse than Elon Musk's legion of dedicated fanbois is you guys

lol

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
years ago it was fake news

now it is news is doing a bad job

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I don't think we could nuke Trump even if we wanted to. Our only delivery system is Trident missiles rented from the USA, I'm pretty sure we couldn't aim and fire those at America without some sort of failsafe kicking in.

Would be better just to have Prince Harry shank him during his state visit this week.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

I don't think we could nuke Trump even if we wanted to. Our only delivery system is Trident missiles rented from the USA, I'm pretty sure we couldn't aim and fire those at America without some sort of failsafe kicking in.

Would be better just to have Prince Harry shank him during his state visit this week.

Is there a royal who couldn't kick Trump's rear end?

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Mike Tindall is technically Royalty now. He would probably go through Trump and his protection detail like poo poo through a goose.

Wow, he's winning friends and influencing people this morning https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44780489

Can't say I don't agree with his hot take on Germany propping up companies like Gazprom though.

Bernard McFacknutah fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 11, 2018

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

As Nero Danced posted:

My friend have you seen The War Game?
https://archive.org/details/TheWarGame_201405

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
That's the actually next on my list now that I've watched Threads, thanks for the link. From what I've heard it's even heavier.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1016945881654943746

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'M NOT CONTROLLED BY THE RUSSIANS, YOU ARE!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Remember it's always projection.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
👏 No 👏 war 👏 but 👏 trade 👏 war 👏

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti..._source=twitter

quote:

Yet matching the latest U.S. barrage would force China to either levy much higher tariffs or take more disruptive steps like canceling purchase orders, encouraging consumer boycotts and putting up regulatory hurdles. Not only does that risk provoking Trump to follow through on threats to tax virtually all Chinese products, it could unleash nationalist sentiment on both sides that fuels a deeper struggle for geopolitical dominance.

“It’s already past the point of no return,” said Pauline Loong, managing director at research firm Asia-Analytica in Hong Kong. “What’s next is not so much a trade war or even a cold war as the dawn of an ice age in relations between China and the United States.”

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

wait isn’t this how the Star Wars prequels started

rlly makes u think

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

wait isn’t this how the Star Wars prequels started

rlly makes u think

death and space taxes

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Mike Tindall is technically Royalty now. He would probably go through Trump and his protection detail like poo poo through a goose.

Wow, he's winning friends and influencing people this morning https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44780489

Can't say I don't agree with his hot take on Germany propping up companies like Gazprom though.

Okay what the ungodly gently caress did that guy do to his nose

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Donnie can't have a stroke soon enough.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

Okay what the ungodly gently caress did that guy do to his nose

His nose got Rugbied up. Just break after break.

His mother-in-law (Princess Anne, the Queen's sister) told him to get it sorted and now he's had it straightened. The guy might look funny but he's hard as nails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMm97H0Xt6g

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/ldrinkh20/status/1016801526164217856?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
SBC getting Cheney to sign a waterboarding kit is going to be worth watching.

• Locked thread