Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Also right when Violet and Cody start arguing here Lisa is in the background side-eyeing her. I mean, it could be a nice background detail of "why are you picking a fight in my bar" but it makes more sense if they're siblings.

I'm really into this theory now and will be really disappointed if it's wrong

EDIT: Also Lisa's kinda got a pitying smirk in page 169 when Violet's going 'what the hell are you all talking about' after Max alludes to supernatural things around Jeff

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Plus, Susie already told us that Lisa has dark supernatural powers.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

kurona_bright posted:

Also right when Violet and Cody start arguing here Lisa is in the background side-eyeing her. I mean, it could be a nice background detail of "why are you picking a fight in my bar" but it makes more sense if they're siblings.

I'm really into this theory now and will be really disappointed if it's wrong

EDIT: Also Lisa's kinda got a pitying smirk in page 169 when Violet's going 'what the hell are you all talking about' after Max alludes to supernatural things around Jeff
Yeah Lisa and Cody have a lot of nonverbal interaction in this chapter, it's just that Lisa is almost always relegated to the background via being colored in purple. It's foreshadowing without being too obvious about it, imo.

I started out thinking this was a crack theory of mine but I'm increasingly convinced.

EDIT: Cody's eyes are waaay more gray in the first chapter but so are Lisa's. I guess Zach hadn't solidified their designs yet. The fact that Lisa got bright blue eyes when Cody got bright blue eyes is a point towards them being related, I think.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 11, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

Today's update made me mad enough to go find this thread and post in it because this loving took three years to pay off:

Third panel.

Bringing this back...

Hijack isn't a monster, it's a spirit. If that third panel is subtle foreshadowing instead of "just" a visual gag on a shonen trope, who's the second monster on the Shockodiles?

Then it jumps out to me.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Also, if you're a vampire being hunted by a dogmatic organization that knows no mercy and doesn't consider their prey people, you definitely want to find the safest possible place to raise your half-human kid(s). But at the same time, we know that Mayview is not actually that safe, since something horrible happened 13 years ago and is going to happen again soon. Mayview presumably got bubbled in response to whatever event that was, Boss Leader did it or had it done, and while ghosts and humans can pass through the barrier unimpaired, Davy isn't just a vampire, he's a vampire who was a spectral in life and who still has spectral abilities.

I have no idea if Davy can pass through the barrier, but if he can't he's been stuck in Mayview for as long as the barrier has been up, which means there's a high chance that he saw whatever happened 13 years ago. He definitely knows how unsafe Mayview can be, that's why he came running when Cody's heartbeat was up. But could it be he thinks Mayview is still safer than not, given the Brotherhood of Man is apparently really very good at hunting down monsters? And if he can't pass through the barrier, sending Cody (and potentially Lisa) away would mean putting them somewhere he couldn't come running if they were in danger. A doomed town might be safer than certain death.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I started a reread jus 'cos and I like how this page makes a hell of a lot more sense in the wake of the student store. not that it doesn't on its own, but the way the groundwork was laid that far back, it's just cool.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-32

check the alt-text

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

I started a reread jus 'cos and I like how this page makes a hell of a lot more sense in the wake of the student store. not that it doesn't on its own, but the way the groundwork was laid that far back, it's just cool.

Gosh I love the way Lisa drinks her coffee on the second-to-last panel there, such a great setup.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Hang in there Beowulf poster is still fantastic.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Davy may well have been the horrible thing that happened 13 years ago.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

xcheopis posted:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

xcheopis posted:

How old are these kids? :thunk:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The kids are about 13. Spender and Zarei are 26, meaning they were about 13 when the thing went down, and were probably in their own previous-generation equivalent of the Activity Club.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

xcheopis posted:

god drat this is absolutely it and he's trying to get out before he dissipates because he's a ghost undead

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 12, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Bongo Bill posted:

The kids are about 13. Spender and Zarei are 26, meaning they were about 13 when the thing went down, and were probably in their own previous-generation equivalent of the Activity Club.
More specifically, the kids are 12 except for Isaac, which I think is thematically important because it means they're a bit of a 'fresh start' for Mayview. Like, to make the disconnect they have from the terrible event 13 years ago more absolute. We don't have an exact timeline for other events like the Barrier going up or the disappearance of the Doctors Burger, except that presumably Ed's parents didn't disappear in the Terrible Event because that was 13 years ago and he's 12. I think the loose implication is that his parents were Consortium researchers investigating the Terrible Event? Boss Leader mentions that a lot of good people have gone missing trying to investigate.

Max's flashback that reveals Agent Day as his babysitter and the older sister (? I think so given some below the comic text in another page*) of his best friends happened 5 years ago because Max was 7. Notably, we know his mother died 5 years ago in a grisly, sudden manner, from his conversation with PJ about ghosts. Because that day stood out to him so much and seems to be the source of his reluctance to promise anything, it could be the day of her death, but I'm not sure how him breaking his promise to 'be careful' would factor into that.

* More specifically, Zach said that Max's old babysitter's mother's brother's youngest niece would very probably be a psychologist in 10 years, which is where Max got the term 'projectance' from. Contextually, that's probably referring to Max's friend Sam, which would make the 'babysitter' Sam's older sister who got paid for watching Max sometimes when they all played together.

As an addition to that train of thought, we don't know exactly how old Agent Day is, but I'm guessing around 23 or younger, since she definitely still seems like a teenager in the 5 years ago flashback. She's also not using a cane back then, so whatever caused her blindness either happened between then and now, or it was more of a slow thing that hadn't degenerated so far yet. She doesn't seem to be wearing glasses back then, so I'm leaning more towards the former than it being a degenerative genetic condition or anything. We know witnessing a death or having a near death incident can trigger being a spectral, so if she wasn't one already it's possible she awoke the ability from whatever happened to her or from what happened to Max's mom.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

pik_d posted:

How old are these kids? :thunk:
Oh, if you're talking Cody (and Lisa) specifically... probably 12? They're in 7th grade. I don't think there's any unaging child shenanigans going on, especially since they apparently grew up in Mayview and that'd be kind of conspicuous. So they wouldn't have been born when the thing happened, but they might have been conceived around that time.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cody confirmed for antichrist

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Tollymain posted:

cody confirmed for antichrist
Don't be ridiculous.

Obviously Lisa is the antichrist.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

PetraCore posted:

Max's flashback that reveals Agent Day as his babysitter

wait a minute back up

what'd i miss

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Patware posted:

wait a minute back up

what'd i miss
Okay, I'm gonna lay out the evidence for this real quick, just give me a few minutes bc of my lovely internet connection to pull up the proper pages. It's not even a theory the way Lisa and Cody being siblings is, it's canon as far as I can tell just not one either character is going to say explicitly yet.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Patware posted:

wait a minute back up

what'd i miss

remember the fat black girl from max's flashback? she has the same physical and vocal mannerisms as Agent Day, and Max is disturbed when he first (re-)meets her in Chapter 4, and the ending of the chapter is Max staring at Day trying to ensure whether or not she's actually the same person that he remembers

As Petra says, it's really more canon than speculation, we're just waiting on specific confirmation

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Okay so first things first. Max's memory of his babysitter and his friends. Just in build the babysitter/older sister of the twins looks familiar, even though it doesn't look like she's vision impaired (no glasses or cane). Also, why hide the faces? Zach always hides the faces of Damien and Sam. I don't think in this page it's because the important reveal is how Max's mom looked, I think the reveal is because of who the babysitter is. And note I'm using babysitter in a loose sense here, if she is the older sister of the twins she and Max had a lot more interaction than just her babysitting him, since it seems like Max is extremely close with the twins.

And who should Max see immediately as he wakes up? The Ghost Train, yes, duh, but also, Agent Day! And his reaction to her is extremely interesting. His anger and distress at the near death experience is immediately derailed by shock and recognition, which is notable enough even Agent Day comments on it. He doesn't have time to talk to her long, though, because Isabel and Spender appear, and then the shadowy tendrils attack Isabel and Max and kind of immediately take precedence. But on the ride home, Max spends the entire time silently and intensely staring at Agent Day. She, of course, does not stare back. She's blind, and also not 12.

Now, on to chapter 5.

Max knows a lot of details about Agent Day, and more specifically, he knows a lot of stuff about Agent Day that a little kid would notice, not stuff you'd get from her facebook as the alt-text jokingly claims. Even the context of this supports my theory, because he's very quick to jump to her defense when Isaac is grumbling about her. She's not a stranger to Max.

This is also confirmed by this page, where Agent Day tells Mina that she and Mina have a mutual friend, and the action immediately and conspicuously cuts back to Max. Until this page I wasn't sure if she recognized him, because she's blind and because his voice has definitely changed since he was 7, but Max has remained best friends with Damien and Sam up to and even after he moved to Mayview, so if she wasn't just babysitting them and by extension him but is their older sister, she's definitely familiar enough with Max to recognize him, and would know he'd moved to Mayview. It's possible she's referring to someone else, but I can't think of who else it could possibly be. Even if she is, the cut to Max at that moment isn't a coincidence.

Less importantly is this page. While the author's comment underneath it is clearly a joke, I think it's also a reference to Max's babysitting being Damien and Sam's older sister, which is why I refer to her as such.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

That said, since Agent Day is in her 20s now it's really probable she isn't living with Sam and Damien anymore and thus wouldn't recognize Max, especially in the middle of such a tense situation and especially since Max didn't say anything. I could also have misread her relationship with Sam and Damien. Besides, it's not like Mina is particularly close with Max. And by the same token, Day and Spender are hardly friends.

In that case, the mutual friend she refers to could maaaybe be the sockpuppet spirit implied to have died or been lost in the Terrible Event, but that's an extreme stretch. Agent Day has some sort of connection to Mayview, but we don't know if she's ever lived there.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

welp

yep, that all tracks, and i managed to miss all that poo poo

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hey remember when we found out Rick had a significant other?

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-4-page-151

Read the book title on the left.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

lmaoooo

The book on the right says 'Travelougue - 1833'. What is he researching...?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

limeicebreakers posted:

lmaoooo

The book on the right says 'Travelougue - 1833'. What is he researching...?

Given the recent reveals? Probably Doctor Helsing's journal. Or a Belmonts. Too early for a Joestar.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There's basically one remaining plotline to be resolved for this whole chapter, other than Cody executing Hijack, and that's the converging trains of Spender / Zarei / Day all coming together at the school at the same time. Zarei is already there (and ran into the Vice Principal, who was "defeated" before), Spender is recovering from a 1-hour amnesia episode, and Day, I assume, is zooming there on a pair of mopeds with the other two agents. None of them have the full information about what's going on there, only bits and pieces (Zarei has the text from Hijack, Spender wasn't conscious for the possession and it doesn't seem Lucifer is going to tell him anything, and Day obviously was away and is investigating what's going on).

There are two ways this could play out, considering what's been set up earlier (Zarei sending Hijack to spy on the kids because she doesn't trust Spender, Lucifer scolding Spender and urging him to ally with Zarei, Day investigating the two of them):

1. A big misunderstanding happens and these three people split into conflicting factions
2. They discover a true threat and establish an uneasy alliance

I think it's either/or here. We spent two full chapters establishing the shaky and murky relationships between these three, it doesn't really make plot sense to continue that for much longer.

Now, that said, I think Davy showing up at the school is going to matter in a way that's beyond revealing Cody as supernatural and having a strained father/son relationship. He was just ordered to leave the school, right as Spender is back in control of his body, right as Zarei signed in at the entrance and is moving into the school, and (given that Day began following Zarei not too long after she left lunch) the imminent arrival of Agent Day.

I'm predicting that this chapter will end with the three encountering Davy -- the real insidious infiltrator -- and realizing what the stakes are.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Hmmm. Is Davy a former Consortium agent?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Doubtful, he seems to be wearing an actual suit.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

RandallODim posted:

Doubtful, he seems to be wearing an actual suit.

It could be pants over the onesie

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

PetraCore posted:

Don't be ridiculous.

Obviously Lisa is the antichrist.

If any character in this series is the antichrist it’s obviously going to be the one named Damien.

I mean, duh.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Oh, hey he actually did it.

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-285

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

i can't believe cody murdered a child

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Mina confirmed to be just as much a dork as Spender, also I love her hoodie.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lmao

so whats the over/under on tool vs medium and who do you think the medium would be

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

A Nintendo Wii.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i suppose there isnt any proof that the school doesnt have a slack off and play videogames club

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A Nintendo Wii.
And two controllers with attached nunchucks.

These controllers control you :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is a good panel layout