Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm going to speedrun remake as one of my october games

gonna try playing through a short halloween game every day in october

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

can't wait for the august games chat thread game jam, to make spooky games for you to play

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

actually september is the month before october

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
august is the month where i turn 20 and play yakuza 0

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

jesus christ

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

when you were being potty trained i was also being potty trained, at the age of 14

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

glam rock hamhock posted:

I recently played through Sonic Forces because I like Sonic games and it didn't look that bad to me.

It really wasn't that bad, just really bland and unremarkable. If it hadn't been released after Mania, I don't think it would have been liked but it would have just been a mostly ignored Sonic game rather than the source of derision that gets brought up like it's 2006 or Boom. It's certainly not a good game but it's mostly just sort of there with a ton of quick forgettable easy levels. The controls are way to loose but that's only a problem once in awhile. Of the Sonics I've played, I'd put it just below Unleashed. It doesn't ever reach the lows of the game but ti also doesn't come close to hitting the highs of that game either.

That's the problem more than being proximate to Mania imo; after spinning their wheels with lost world, they finally picked up the working formula again and made the the weakest of its line, which is a shame since they had a decent run going with Colors and Gens.

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

I'm sitting here playing ROBLOX and I'm just thinking about how I have an openly gay coworker who says he hates gay people and he identifies as a homophobe and a racist and I'm just like :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hi sitting here playing ROBLOX and I'm just thinking about how I have an openly gay coworker who says he hates gay people and he identifies as a homophobe and a racist and I'm just like :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: I'm dad

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi sitting here playing ROBLOX and I'm just thinking about how I have an openly gay coworker who says he hates gay people and he identifies as a homophobe and a racist and I'm just like :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: :chloe: I'm dad

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It was a good joke that made me laugh

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Colonel posted:

august is the month where i turn 20 and play yakuza 0

I'm surprised anyone under 20 has even heard of Something Awful

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

cheetah7071 posted:

i liked retsupurae when i was 15 and then i stayed for the anime forum

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Unrelated to everything, but I'm thinking of ordering a copy of Eternal Darkness off ebay or something, and I feel like as soon as I do that, Nintendo will announce that it's coming to the eshop for $20 within the next three days.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that's the one thing you will never have to worry about, ever

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm glad in the end it's anime that will save Lowtax's broken spine.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Lowtax, the new alternate evolution of Munchlax

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeY7PbP07Og

koei tecmo please put the atelier dusk games on ps4 and then also pc ty

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Does Eternal Darkness actually hold up? I haven't touched it since it came out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

Does Eternal Darkness actually hold up? I haven't touched it since it came out.

It's still good. I think making it chapter based and wiping the slate clean each chapter was an incredibly smart decision because they can fine tune the pacing without cheating the player. Some chapters are more combat oriented, others more atmospheric and puzzly so when you get bored of fighting the game immediately switches gears to doing hexcrank puzzles then back to fighting.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well you probably won't get fooled by the old-fashioned fourth-wall-breaking spooks. Like modern volume bars don't look like that

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the worst part is that the fake bsods in eternal darkness don't even work as a trick on an emulator cause bsods don't look like that anymore

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Let me tell you new blue screens are still something to be dreaded at work, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bladerunner posted:

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

My dead channels are blue

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

cheetah7071 posted:

I wonder how people hear about these forums these days.

Like I remember coming here after reading a lot of the main site's articles, which I haven't done in nearly a decade at this point

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder how people hear about these forums these days.

Like I remember coming here after reading a lot of the main site's articles, which I haven't done in nearly a decade at this point

I don't think I have ever read anything on the main site

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Andrast posted:

I don't think I have ever read anything on the main site

Fashion SWAT was fun. That's all I really remember.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There were also a bunch of articles about World War II tanks

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i liked the movie reviews

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RPG Maker, the Final Fantasy VI redub, and the bad rom reviews drew me here.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
While "there's a front page?" is pretty much the oldest joke in the forums, I still find it vaguely depressing that the front page is mostly dead, maybe updating a handful of times a month at this point.

Also The Barkwire series is perhaps the greatest story ever told.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Even when you know the ED scary parts are coming they still get you occasionally, I think they got me with the 'deleting save game' one.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I read the front page somewhat regularly many a year ago, then kind of grew out of or got tired of a lot of what was the primary content at the time. The forums then were like a proto-4-chan, there weren't really any adults in the room. I didn't even bother to reg.

Now the forums are a lot better because even a little bit of moderation goes a long way, but you can still call someone an rear end in a top hat. The front page kind of got lost in the shuffle of Lowtax trying to be a standup guy and other founders working on their own various careers. That is kinda sad but it's hard to get that momentum back.

Tradgames has a few people trickle in from the F&F reviews that get percolated around but it's definitely not a main draw.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I came here for the LPs. I don't remember how I found out about them. I don't even read LPs very often anymore, but here I am still posting

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I registered for the :filez: forums then they shut them down two months later, but it was too late....

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Tbh I think the attempts to detumblrize the forums had a negative effect on the forums overall, even though I did enjoy the brief period of time where gbs became a (relatively) chill place with chat threads abound, though some people would get oddly mad about chat threads. Idk why, there are just some people who think people getting together in a thread and chilling and shooting the poo poo is a bad thing for whatever reason

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I used to read Photoshop Phriday and Weekend Web a lot. They were great. I eventually joined the forums mostly to... actually I can't remember. I think a friend bought me an account for my birthday.

FirstAidKite posted:

Tbh I think the attempts to detumblrize the forums had a negative effect on the forums overall, even though I did enjoy the brief period of time where gbs became a (relatively) chill place with chat threads abound, though some people would get oddly mad about chat threads. Idk why, there are just some people who think people getting together in a thread and chilling and shooting the poo poo is a bad thing for whatever reason

I think the idea is supposed to be that there doesn't need to be a chat thread in every forum about every topic. There's also BYOB which is supposedly an entire forum with the intent of chilling out and chatting but I never bothered with it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

I came here for the LPs. I don't remember how I found out about them. I don't even read LPs very often anymore, but here I am still posting

same, i came here because i enjoyed let's play super metroid where the ammonite aliens kissed. and let's play majora's mask with studbagel

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I read the front page back in 2004/5 and eventually signed up when the sports forum was no longer free to view and I wanted to post in the wrestling threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I think the idea is supposed to be that there doesn't need to be a chat thread in every forum about every topic. There's also BYOB which is supposedly an entire forum with the intent of chilling out and chatting but I never bothered with it.

Sure, but there was straight up like offensive opposition to the idea of :chillpill: and it was kind of a shame because sometimes you just wanna :justpost: and relax with some buds (white dragon I'm settin you up for a punchline so you'd better not waste it)

Lord knows I've seen my fair share of people get unreasonably angry at the idea that there are people who aren't taking things super seriously and are trying to be chill and relaxed and not angry about everything.

• Locked thread