Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Isn't Intel skimming the best 6C dies to sell as 8086Ks now though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

repiv posted:

They're only selling 50k of them, I imagine they're long done skimming.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Winks posted:

They're only selling 50k of them, I imagine they're long done skimming.

Collectible processors! I hope they put a hologram of authenticity on it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

eames posted:

Try Asus realbench instead, prime95 has FMA3 enabled by default and will make your CPU run far hotter than it ever would under "regular" heavy load.

For me P95 FMA3 catches errors where Realbench doesn't. Not sure how significant it is in terms of real-world stability, but I err on the side of caution.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

That's why the rates dipped noticeably, then went back up for apparently (at the time) no reason. They aren't making any more 8086Ks, everyone in the middle got screwed a little. Also, I've heard tell of 8086Ks that can do 5.5GHz (the <1%); would love to see some benchmarks on that.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Won a 8086K with that 40th anniversary contest. I think I'll replace my 5960x @ 4.2ghz micro ITX main rig with it and then move the 5960x into my HTPC/NAS. Since my main rig is in a Ncase M1, anyone know if any micro ITX z370/390 motherboards with 10Gbe are to be released? This really feels like a sidegrade but I guess power consumption should be way lower, and X99 in a tiny case was a bit of a stretch...

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
A 5960x for a HTPC/NAS? Holy poo poo, I’m still using a C2Quad 6700 in mine and it doesn’t seem to miss a beat.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

JnnyThndrs posted:

A 5960x for a HTPC/NAS? Holy poo poo, I’m still using a C2Quad 6700 in mine and it doesn’t seem to miss a beat.

A 5960X in a NAS would make it more than viable as a home game server.

Also, the new 8086K winners seem to be from a second round of selection.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 11, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
At this point I've seen like five separate 8086K winners on these dumb forums alone, I'm kinda kicking myself for not entering now. Did not a lot of people enter or did y'all nerds just get obscenely lucky or what.

e: not that I would have made good use of one if I had won it, I suppose

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah i wasnt aware this contest was goon only what da fug

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I threw my name in but didn’t win anything :mad:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I did too, drat it.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I'm a big loser too. Would have been a nice upgrade from my ~10 year old i7-920.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TerminalSaint posted:

I'm a big loser too. Would have been a nice upgrade from my ~10 year old i7-920.

What a world where someone can use a 10 year old PC and not hate every moment of it.
My 450 MHz Pentium 3 from '99 did not make it to '09 or anywhere close to that.
Come to think of it my 3770k is pretty old now too

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

canyoneer posted:

What a world where someone can use a 10 year old PC and not hate every moment of it.
My 450 MHz Pentium 3 from '99 did not make it to '09 or anywhere close to that.
Come to think of it my 3770k is pretty old now too

I only upgraded from an i7-920 to a 6700K 2 years ago. I game, too, though it's largely CSGO and Dota. Honestly the thing that taxed it most was Anno 1404, it sent the CPU fan into high gear.

Your comparison between a P3 450 to an '09 PC is hardly apt. Usage requirements really plateaued around 2010-2015 depending where on the curve you fell. In particular, the move from single to dual core was the big step, since one thread didn't suddenly tie up everything else. Add in hyperthreading on dual cores and you rapidly lose any desktop advantage after that point.

For example, web browsing is no faster on a 6700K vs a 920, really. And more people are playing non-taxing games and doing just fine with them. My dad now uses the 920, all he does is browse the net, watch TV on his digital tuner and gently caress around with linux. None of that requires anything more than a 920.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I just replaced my i7 2600 with an R7 2700 and there is no difference doing office work or even with games. I would have kept the old thing if the board didn't die a slow death, but 65W TDP vs 90W TDP is nice regardless.

Connecting the old SSD to the new system was fun: Win 10 booted like nothing had happened.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm still running with An I3 3220 god I'm so lazy/fearful of loving poo poo up with an upgrade because of it requiring a motherboard. Bought an i5 7500 which should be good still right?

L33t_Kefka
Jul 16, 2000

My 1337 littl3 magic us3r, put 0n this cr0wn, bitch! H4W H4W! I 0wn j00!!!!

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I just replaced my i7 2600 with an R7 2700 and there is no difference doing office work or even with games. I would have kept the old thing if the board didn't die a slow death, but 65W TDP vs 90W TDP is nice regardless.

Connecting the old SSD to the new system was fun: Win 10 booted like nothing had happened.

Are you looking to sell the old i7-2600?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ChaseSP posted:

I'm still running with An I3 3220 god I'm so lazy/fearful of loving poo poo up with an upgrade because of it requiring a motherboard. Bought an i5 7500 which should be good still right?

Both those CPUs uses different sockets so you can't even use the new chip on the old motherboard, and Kaby Lake CPUs are now overpriced dead-ended junk so I have no idea what you were thinking there.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Did you just buy that 7000 series? 8000 series are straight up better

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

No, I've had it for a year and completely forgot until I went through my closet. I even have a motherboard I don't recall buying either so no real reason not to install it. Was just curious how out of date it was by this point

mewse
May 2, 2006

It should be perfectly serviceable and should give a nice performance boost from that older i3.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/412/Intel_Core_i3_i3-3220_vs_Intel_Core_i5_i5-7500.html

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

L33t_Kefka posted:

Are you looking to sell the old i7-2600?
Sorry, already gave it away.

eames
May 9, 2009

Just a heads up, almost all Z370 motherboard manufacturers released a BIOS update for new CPUs last week (not for the 8086K), indicating that the new CPUs are about to launch and will likely be backwards compatible.
Z390 on 14nm was apparently canned and Z370 will be rebadged for the new generation.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

eames posted:

Just a heads up, almost all Z370 motherboard manufacturers released a BIOS update for new CPUs last week (not for the 8086K), indicating that the new CPUs are about to launch and will likely be backwards compatible.
Z390 on 14nm was apparently canned and Z370 will be rebadged for the new generation.

I wonder how much of it was Intel's own idea versus blowback from OEMs against yet another pointless Intel chipset cluttering up their already cluttered SKUs.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Z390 was going to be the already shipping H370 with overclocking enabled basically. Same silicon, so board makers already have designs for it. So I don’t fully buy the rumors that it’s dead tbh

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
AnandTech interviews Jim Keller, thought it might be of interest to some here.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 16, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002

quote:

I have a simple theory about this kind of stuff: as I tell people my opinions, one of two things happen. They like what I say, or they correct me when I'm wrong.
Man, I get the last one about 100% of the time.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
Are the benefits of dropping the chipset process from 22nm to 14nm comparable to a cpu process change?

Is there room for more features or something?

eames
May 9, 2009

The main advantages of a simple PCH die-shrink would be lower power consumption and theoretically lower manufacturing cost. Chipsets were more a lot relevant to system performance before the memory and PCI controllers were moved to the CPU about a decade ago.

Z390 was rumored to add an improved TB3.0 controller, integrated 802.11ac, Bluetooth 5.0 and USB 3.1gen2 but all those things could in theory be done on 22nm or even via additional chips on the motherboard.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Heard some rumors that the real Z390 is delayed and what we're going to get instead is H370 with overclocking enabled, which would be 14nm but without the feature improvements. (in contrast, Z370 is on 22nm)

edit: I may be mis-remembering that, it looks like it may be just a Z370 rebrand again.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 17, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

Heard some rumors that the real Z390 is delayed and what we're going to get instead is H370 with overclocking enabled, which would be 14nm but without the feature improvements.

(in contrast, Z370 is on 22nm)

Thats what Z390 was supposed to be all along? I've never seen anything non-rumor to suggest otherwise.

eames
May 9, 2009

For those who don't follow the Mac Hardware thread, Intel's completely arbitrary TDP ratings are finally coming back to bite them because none of the new Coffee Lake MBPs can hold base clock under any meaningful load.
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/17/core-i9-chip-macbook-pro-throttling/
A 50/33% core increase using the same process and architecture with the same limited cooling solution causes thermal problems, who knew? :derp:

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
No high end performance laptop will run without throttling when crammed into a poorly cooled, tiny chassis like that. This has been the case for years and years.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Winks posted:

No high end performance laptop will run without throttling when crammed into a poorly cooled, tiny chassis like that. This has been the case for years and years.

The problem is if you buy the new i9 and try to run video encoding you will get worse job times than the same model with an i7 skylake from last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx8J125s4cg

eames
May 9, 2009

Winks posted:

My point is that this shows that TDP ratings seem to be inaccurate.

2013 i7-4850HQ 4x2.2 GHz 47W TDP: 2.6-2.7 GHz @ 32W 527 pts
2018 i9-8950HK 6x2.9 GHz 45W TDP: 2.3-2.4 GHz @ 50W 861 pts

These are both 15" MBPs (2013 and 2018) running cinebench loops at temperatures around 95°C, actual power consumption shows that the newer model has a far better cooling solution despite being thinner. In fact the i9 actually touches 70W before turbo goes down.

TLDR: Benchmark scores for the i9 are ~65% higher but so is actual power consumption by ~55%. They're both rated for ~45W TDP.

eames fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 18, 2018

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Winks posted:

Yeah but it shouldn't throttle itself on base clocks. I know TBP is really arbitrary and that saying a 45w TDP doesn't mean a whole lot, but its pretty silly that they are selling a product that is labeled a pro product that can't do heavy tasks and meet even non turbo speeds without pulling back, especially given the price premium.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Throttling would be a result of the cooling solution provided by the odm/oem not Intel. Apple is the one that is selling the thinnest possible laptop that can't possibly dissipate the heat generated under load.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

We agree on that. I’m not putting this on Intel (other than really all chip manufacturers needing to get more realistic about TDP) but more that it is absurd that a top end laptop should be able to peg all the cores and can’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Macs aren't top end laptops except in price though.