Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I first heard about SA way back in 2003 or sometime in 2002, whenever either the P-p-p-powerbook saga happened, which was documented in some pseudo-SA site (I think the name started with Z and the motto was "the world's only comedy website"?) I forgot the name of, or that thread about a guy sniffing his sister's panties which was linked in a Friday the 13th fan forum back in the day - which should give newer members and idea of how popular SA was back in the day. I was in my early teens and into Maddox and edgelord humour so naturally after finding it I loved it and spent months reading and re-reading the movie and game reviews. Once I joined the forums I rarely visited the front page and nowadays I never do since I don't find 4chan/4chan-lite humour funny anymore.

FirstAidKite posted:

Tbh I think the attempts to detumblrize the forums had a negative effect on the forums overall, even though I did enjoy the brief period of time where gbs became a (relatively) chill place with chat threads abound, though some people would get oddly mad about chat threads. Idk why, there are just some people who think people getting together in a thread and chilling and shooting the poo poo is a bad thing for whatever reason

What was the deal with this? I recall some years ago people (mainly on the LP sub-forum I think?) killing their accounts over something regarding Lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

GUI posted:

What was the deal with this? I recall some years ago people (mainly on the LP sub-forum I think?) killing their accounts over something regarding Lowtax.

You might be thinking of the shmorky stuff, where a couple of popular LPers were shadowbanned after criticizing lowtax on twitter because shmorky and his daughter had a stream where they were making fun of shmorky while wearing diapers on their heads or something like that. Yeah the argument can be made that it maybe wasn't the best idea ever, but I feel like a lot of the people who were critical of lowtax's actions were overlooking the fact that lowtax just learned that one of his best friends, a person who had been around his own children, was guilty of pedophilia and grooming minors, so I think it's okay to let him have some kind of outrage instead of doing something like tweeting that he deserved what happened to him.

e: I think there was another situation more recently than that though where some more left because lowtax legit doesn't know stuff about trans issues and stuff so he didn't know what was and wasn't considered offensive because he doesn't look into that stuff. Iirc I think he said he was trying to attempt to better himself on that and admitted that he doesn't understand and is willing to learn (feel free to correct me though).

There was another issue more recently where he posted some account of shmorky's ex gf so people could mock her and some people thought that that was weird and that he should have let it go and I know lowtax was getting kinda hostile back at some of the hostility he received but that whole situation was weird and tbh the only thing I remember about it is finding out from that thread that shmorky's ex lives in the same city as me and also that lowtax doesn't like the term "slippery slope"

I think there were some people that were in defense of the shmorky stuff because of shmorky's art but that's also real hazy in my mind so take that with about 3 cups of salt.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 11, 2018

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

GUI posted:

If you're thinking of what I'm remembering after Schmorky was outed as being pretty hosed up Lowtax filmed his kid mocking him, wearing a diaper, that sort of thing. It was the kid's decision.

This lead to some LP folks (who may have been misinformed or simply going way over the top) of accusing Lowtax of child abuse for it and leaving the site when his response was "lol no"

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Nobody was shadowbanned FAK, there's no such thing on the forums. They would've been banned on SA for tweeting poo poo at Lowtax.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

just wanna :justpost: and relax with some buds (white dragon I'm settin you up for a punchline so you'd better not waste it)

posting while high is probatable why would i ever do that :420::420::420:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Nobody was shadowbanned FAK, there's no such thing on the forums. They would've been banned on SA for tweeting poo poo at Lowtax.

I swear they got banned in such a way that it didn't even show on their accounts that they were banned because radium is a bad programmer

I don't remember who the first one was but the other two were voidburger and psychedelic eyeball

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

I swear they got banned in such a way that it didn't even show on their accounts that they were banned because radium is a bad programmer

Not sure about Psych but voidburger left rather than got banned, I think :shrug:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Not sure about Psych but voidburger left rather than got banned, I think :shrug:

Checking the Sagas thread there seems to be some confusion about it but who cares, let's get back to talking about games

The opening of Fallout 2 sucks, and I know this isn't a controversial opinion. What did make me laugh though was punching and kicking scorpions to death, dying, realising I had a spear I could use and finding that it was actually worse than just trying to fistfight bugs

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The opening of FO2 is probably the worst intro to a game ever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fallout 2 should've been the argument against mandatory dungeons in open world RPGs and yet somehow they all still have them 20 years later. Vampire Bloodlines is the only CRPG I can think of that lets you tell the tutorial guy to gently caress off (but he's the best character so you want to explore it at least once).

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Doors on all my caves.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I played Fallout 2 to death when I was younger and I managed to get through the temple on my second try and on later playthroughs I never had problem with it again. This is not me going "git gud" or saying you're wrong about it being a lovely intro to a great game, just being kind of amazed at then-me for not having much of a problem with something that would definitely start bothering me almost immediately nowadays because gently caress introductory "kill rats" dungeons/quests.

e: grammar

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 11, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What game has the worst introduction before finally letting you loose to do whatever you want?

I wanna say FF13 but I feel like that's too easy of an answer and that there are bound to be other options that are worse

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

What game has the worst introduction before finally letting you loose to do whatever you want?

I wanna say FF13 but I feel like that's too easy of an answer and that there are bound to be other options that are worse

FF13 doesn't ever let you loose. The tightly constrained play isn't an introduction, it's the game.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I think the Shmorky thing was what I was talking about. For some reason the mass exodus of VoidBurger and other prominent users and Shmorky being a creepy weirdo were separate incidents in my mind instead of one happening immediately after the other.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
They were separate but related. gently caress if I can remember anymore but it was all around the same time DnD had the beginning of an “all lives matter” problem.

Fallout 2 intro dungeon was dumb. The game was so just great for its time that it was worth killing those ants over and over.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

bloodychill posted:

it was all around the same time DnD had the beginning of an “all lives matter” problem.

lol

Story time: one time some girl on facebook was all "I don't understand this black lives matter thing, why is it only black lives? why not all lives?" and I explained that the BLM stuff isn't "only black lives matter" but rather "black lives matter too" and that it is about people trying to raise awareness of systemic oppression and the fact that so many trigger happy people get away with shooting black people and nobody seems to be doing anything to mitigate these problems. She said she didn't understand so I linked these two videos and told her that he explains it far better than I ever could.

She responds back telling me that she knows some black people at her workplace (a hospital) so why don't the black people who are poor just go and get a job somewhere? They don't have to resort to illegal things. I tell her to forget about it, that she doesn't get it and I leave it at that.

Then some time later I find that she has blocked me and her SO had sent me a message on facebook that just said "WHITE LIVES MATTER, FUCKFACE"

lmao

That was my story, I hope it brightened up your wednesday morning

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

corn in the bible posted:

i liked the movie reviews

They led me to finding out about Four Lions so I'll always be grateful

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I think losing that particular Facebook friend may have been a win, fak.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Years ago I made a fixed version of the FO2 outer temple area that lets you just walk past the guard into the village, I can dig it up later if anyone wants it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Anything that starts with a sewer level or forced tutorial

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FirstAidKite posted:

not the same but the way persona 5 is so heavily segmented into [story days: can do nothing][dungeon days: do whatever][story days: do nothing] can be frustrating

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Almost every game starting from last gen begins with forced 10-30 minute unskippable tutorials or scripted events. Doom 2016 was a blessing even if there's a couple of annoying cutscenes later on.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
So, could you fellows recommend me something along the lines of SOTN and the GBA Castlevanias, on PC? I have played Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon and liked that, too. Something Castlevania-esque, fantasy or horror themed rather than sci-fi. Something where you can change weapons and/or spells or other abilities. Or something that has multiple playable characters.

Edit: Also, I have La Mulana.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ataxerxes posted:

So, could you fellows recommend me something along the lines of SOTN and the GBA Castlevanias, on PC? I have played Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon and liked that, too. Something Castlevania-esque, fantasy or horror themed rather than sci-fi. Something where you can change weapons and/or spells or other abilities. Or something that has multiple playable characters.

Valdis Story maybe?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ataxerxes posted:

Shovel Knight
Dead Cells
Hollow Knight

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 11, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Jesus Christ, it's 14 or 15 C°, the human body was not made to endure this frozen hell

I just sneezed so hard I think I disjointed something

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samuringa posted:

Jesus Christ, it's 14 or 15 C°, the human body was not made to endure this frozen hell

I guess this is what it feels like when people in Florida hear me complain about it being too hot at 25 C

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cold beats heat since you can always just put on more layers, but it doesn't get you very far going in the other direction; there are only so many layers you can take off before having to rip and tear your flesh.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

univbee posted:

Cold beats heat

This checks out

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

15-18 C° is the the perfect outside temperature imo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't remember who the first one was but the other two were voidburger and psychedelic eyeball

There used to be a discipline option called hellban which made it so that your posts would be hidden from all other users without telling you this was the case. It was removed years ago because it was causing technical problems as the forums grew.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

oddium posted:

not the same but the way persona 5 is so heavily segmented into [story days: can do nothing][dungeon days: do whatever][story days: do nothing] can be frustrating

Yeah I was going to say maybe Persona 3-5. I remember Persona 3 and 5 seemed to get you actually playing the game earlier than 4 did but I don't know for sure. Either way, they all take a real long time to let you play the actual Persona game, which is frustrating when you've already played one of them and just want to get going.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

but that IS the game of persona. Reading a bunch of VN stuff in between going to a dungeon every once in a while.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's probably rarer to consider any game at all that actually "opens", since it's not really a thing many games do. It's basically just open world games that do that after a brief tutorial opening.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Samuringa posted:

Meanwhile the UK is in its 6th week of glorious sunshine

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeha that’s why i was hesitant to bring it up. i don’t really mind it but there are some story days that are like 5 lines long and it’s like. dang it’d be sick to go to the batting cages later or something. ah but i’m tired

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm having trouble thinking of anything worse than Fallout 2. Fallout 3 was pretty bad for this too.

Also Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow makes you do some dumb bullshit before you're able to get your first pokeballs. That always bugged me.

And then of course there's Skyrim's famous horse cart intro, but I've never actually played it myself.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

Twilight Princess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

so, "reacting to reaction videos" is the fresh content that keeps people coming back to Howard Stern these days, eh

• Locked thread