Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Golden Boy is my fish sauce of choice. Pure anchovy, no filler or preservatives, with a little sugar to balance it out.

e: also seeing that fat baby giving me a thumbs up just melts my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Lately I’ve been finding the LKK brand of black bean sauce too salty. Is there a better brand (I have access to an excess of Asian markets) or am I better off making my own?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

EVG posted:

Lately I’ve been finding the LKK brand of black bean sauce too salty. Is there a better brand (I have access to an excess of Asian markets) or am I better off making my own?
I like the black bean Lao Gan Ma for places where I'd be throwing in some angry lady anyway. But that's really an aw gently caress it I'm just going to stir fry some poo poo thing. If you're working from a recipe it'll probably call for the beans themselves, not the black bean sauce.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah +1 for just using actual black beans. they keep indefinitely, and you generally rinse them so they aren't super salty. I'll grab a handful and mince them up for black-bean stirfrys or steamed dishes.

black beans and broccoli is my weeknight sidedish jammm. done in under 5-10 minutes from start to finish, all prep included.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 6, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Weirdly, the only time I've eaten black bean sauce was on chicken feet. And hot drat was that delicious. Mindphlux, could you post your black bean sauce broccoli recipe? I think that would be a splendid way to get the family started on eating it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I'm posting this in a few threads so I can get as many ideas as possible.

I want to bake bread that's shaped like a cruise ship. What's my best bet for making an oven safe, food safe mold? It doesn't have to be super intricate or detailed, but I want the basic shape, at least.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I want to bake bread that's shaped like a cruise ship. What's my best bet for making an oven safe, food safe mold? It doesn't have to be super intricate or detailed, but I want the basic shape, at least.

Would a roll work? I’m thinking something like a cloverleaf roll dough might let you shape simple boats. Or maybe a crispbread or cracker that you cut out with a boat shaped cookie cutter?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Sweet Custom Van posted:

Would a roll work? I’m thinking something like a cloverleaf roll dough might let you shape simple boats. Or maybe a crispbread or cracker that you cut out with a boat shaped cookie cutter?

Think bigger. Boat shaped crackers with cheese or a dip might be a nice addition to the main offering, though - great idea!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Is this intended to just be a subtlety, or do you want it to be edible? Mold-wise you're looking for food grade silicone for pretty much anything, but I'm not sure how you'd get cruise ship shaped bread out of it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Suspect Bucket posted:

Weirdly, the only time I've eaten black bean sauce was on chicken feet. And hot drat was that delicious. Mindphlux, could you post your black bean sauce broccoli recipe? I think that would be a splendid way to get the family started on eating it.

I don't really have a recipe, esp for weeknight stuff. I just cook a thing and season it.

roughly, preheat a wok as hot as you can get it, toss a tablespoon or two of oil in, broccoli in, splash it with water or cooking wine or mirin or something, toss some salt and pepper in, a handful of black beans, some garlic maybe, and snap a cover on. wait 3-5 minutes and let it steam. uncover, and stir fry until it's the crispness you like broccoli. lots of tossing makes sure everything gets seasoned.

some people really like mushy broccoli, and some people like crisp. I'm somewhere in the middle, I try to get it crisp cooked, then uncover and let the oil fry it, so it's both not mushy, and slighly fried/charred on the outside.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This week in Crowdfunded Crap with BrianBoitano, a cutting board mise en place station for $300 value $150 retail $120 IndieGoGo special $100 Super Earlybird special!!

Featuring:
  • A bunch of plastic measuring rectangles
  • A holder for the measuretangles, because they're always trying to run away
  • Six shot glass terrible measuring cups
  • A holder because your terribcups can't actually stand on their own (industry standard)
  • A trash bin you can slide scraps right into! They don't make trash this easy with any product, folks!
  • A lip that prevents you from sliding scraps into your trash bin, because every cook loves a challenge
  • A cutting board that is definitely the right size and material any cook would ever want
  • A crease down the middle of the cutting board so it can fold away to become the cover for the rest of the Prepdeck. What? Most professionals have creases in their cutting board. Helps make sure your knife doesn't glide through what you're chopping too quickly. Speed is dangerous in the kitchen.
  • A bunch of prep tools flattened and castrated of their handles so they fit in a storage space
  • BPA free!
  • Offload it for $5 at your next garage sale!

A product so good, you'll fart while your wife pours wine, and she'll enjoy it!
https://i.imgur.com/ZTddGTK.mp4

I'm pretty sure the cutting boards are surplus airline tray tables :ssh:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ugh and it has succeeded. I need to think of a kitchen grift.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

My 50 cent plastic prep bowls aren't good enough. I always wanted to be 129 dollars poorer and have a bunch of extra poo poo to clean after I cook. Thanks Prepdeck!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Disrupt the industry with a delitainer holder.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

"Without Prepdeck" - I have no concept of using a cup or bowl but want to cook, plz help.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Honestly I put scraps and larger chopped veggies straight on the counter. I paid for the whole counter, I'm going to use it.

I wash it after each use anyhow, so A) I know it's clean and B) I don't have to anguish over spilling a bit, since I know I was going to wash it anyhow.

#nomessyshaming

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If you have that much counter space and don’t have a system already, you don’t deserve that counter space.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Today in random regional foodways: I found out about Ohio's shredded chicken sandwiches. Simplest recipe seems to be boil chicken, shred, add back some stock and thicken with flour, serve on a bun. But now popular recipes appear to be canned chicken, cream of chicken soup, and crushed Ritz crackers, all heated and on a bun. It's apparently served at mom and pop restaurants and popular at events and potlucks.

huh.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

As a lifelong resident of Ohio I assume that's near the WV border?

Never have had it, sounds terrible.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
My system is to spread poo poo all over the counter

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm so glad my dumbass can prep more efficiently on the 3 feet of counterspace in my apartment than anyone who buys that overpriced shitheap.

Thanks bowls common sense!

fake edit: I still can be a little messy though but I'm still a single, baby cook in a college apartment so what are you gonna do :shrug:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

As a lifelong resident of Ohio I assume that's near the WV border?

Never have had it, sounds terrible.

Looks like almost everywhere except Cinci and Cleveland http://chickensandwich.info/index.html

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Looks like almost everywhere except Cinci and Cleveland http://chickensandwich.info/index.html

Ah Columbus and drive through country.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Ah Columbus and drive through country.

Considering both my attempts at finding good hot chicken (Gus's in Memphis and Pepperfire in Nashville) ended poorly, I will try this abomination of a sandwich when i hit Columbus.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Considering both my attempts at finding good hot chicken (Gus's in Memphis and Pepperfire in Nashville) ended poorly, I will try this abomination of a sandwich when i hit Columbus.

check the Ohio LAN thread, quite a few columbus folk there.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hot Chicken Takeover is pretty good.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Boiled chicken sounds gross

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Au contraire!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
For real, hainanese chicken rice is my favourite dish on earth.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For real, hainanese chicken rice is my favourite dish on earth.

I emphatically like it, but the magic escapes me. I went for all the "best" chicken rice places in singapore I could find, and it was just some chicken and rice. good chicken and rice, but... chicken and rice.

fishball noodle soup on the other hand... equally simple but goddamn so good

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I feel like it's one of those dishes that got insanely hyped when the food TV shows Columbused it.

It's not mind blowing in any way but it's subtly a really, really, really good dish.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
idk boiled chicken skin is like ughh. I'm more of a fan of the rice and the soup.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Tired Moritz posted:

idk boiled chicken skin is like ughh. I'm more of a fan of the rice and the soup.

I agree.

I typed up the recipe I use at home on the wiki a while back. I fry the skins and use them as garnish.

http://goonswithspoons.com/Khao_Man_Gai

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Stringent posted:

I fry the skins and use them as garnish.

Gribenes are god drat delicious.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Croatoan posted:

Gribenes are god drat delicious.

Yes, yes they are.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

idk, I like well made hainanese chicken skin, where it's not too fatty, has rendered out a bit, and is succulent, and smooth. mmmmm

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Also difficult to get right. I resorted to fried because I couldn't nail it consistently.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

mindphlux posted:

I emphatically like it, but the magic escapes me. I went for all the "best" chicken rice places in singapore I could find, and it was just some chicken and rice. good chicken and rice, but... chicken and rice.

Loy Kee Chicken Rice on Balestier road is the best, bar none.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm a big fan of the texture of rubbery chicken skin idk. It's nice and chewy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

idk, I like well made hainanese chicken skin, where it's not too fatty, has rendered out a bit, and is succulent, and smooth. mmmmm

Agreed. Also, my mom made it for me growing up, so it has nostalgia.