Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes. The biggest issue has been owners not ckecking the oil dip stick.

They’re having trouble making an electric motor that consumes as much oil as their customers have come to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
My wife and I are lifelong Mazda owners but our next cars/bikes will be electric so it’s goodbye Zoom Zoom for us :\

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
If you are sad about not owning Mazdas, go drive a Skyactiv 3 hatch with the automatic. You’ll come to lose all interest in Mazdas soon enough. (I’m still bitter because the 1st gen MS3 was that good and I loved mine dearly, and yet the newest 3’s are pig-slow garbage that is nothing more than an embarrassment for the same company that made the MS3/MS6).

Also I’m still waiting to see what Mini eventually does with their EV Cooper plans. I have a bad feeling it’ll be given a woefully underpowered motor to prevent it from rubbing elbows with its BMW brethren but I also heard that the people that leased their test mules in CA were putting up a fight like the EV1 and RAV4 EV owners did when they were forced to turn in their leases. Also I don’t even want to think of the rattles coming from that cabin without an engine to drown them out. :haw:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Mazda is partnered with Toyota so their hybrid / EV tech will probably come from them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

Mazda is partnered with Toyota so their hybrid / EV tech will probably come from them.

Fiatayo what a feeling!

Wait isn't the supra got some BMW partnering too?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Charles posted:

There is a hybrid 3 in Japan. Sedan only though which somewhat limits the appeal.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

wolrah posted:

Of course there was also the crazy vacuum control system on the twin turbos as well which didn't help the situation.

Ask me about replacing all of the turbo control vacuum lines on my 20B-powered Cosmo! They were like dry pasta and we snapped the nipples of most of the control solenoids in the process, it was infuriating.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Charles posted:

We can see companies like Mazda and Subaru (Japanese automakers with a piece owned by Toyota) shrugging at EV Technology, and committing themselves to being fast-followers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-05/why-subaru-is-happy-to-be-last-in-electric-race

I just returned from 6 months in (western this time) Europe and had a blast with the Renault Twizy I leased. I think Euro manufacturers like the VAG group, Renault (joint partnership with Nissan and all) and even Mercedes will pull ahead of smaller Japanese manufacturers in this EV arena quite soon.

Pulling up to Digital Congress in a Twizy with the tandem front seat all the way back, and having a crowd watch all 2.05 meters of me get out was also amazing and a highlight of my time in Nice.

The Sicilian fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 11, 2018

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Video of taking a stock Model 3 on the track, swapping wheels/tires, swapping suspension / brakes, etc back to back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2fLYBaCWKM

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Video from today of Model 3 tent production. The place is basically doing nothing but there's a guy driving a forklift around, damaging 60k car frames

https://twitter.com/IspyTsla/status/1017180189908860929?s=19

:downsbravo:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

Video from today of Model 3 tent production. The place is basically doing nothing but there's a guy driving a forklift around, damaging 60k car frames

https://twitter.com/IspyTsla/status/1017180189908860929?s=19

:downsbravo:

Holy poo poo can a man get a waffle cone with that scoop? That's probably the most hard hitting exposé since someone caught paint drying on a security camera.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I don't understand what you're trying to say. This is the guy that's been videotaping the Supertent since it opened and it clearly looks hilariously lovely

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

right but that video shows nothing we haven't already seen

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FistEnergy posted:

I don't understand what you're trying to say. This is the guy that's been videotaping the Supertent since it opened and it clearly looks hilariously lovely

It's four minutes of some guys walking around in a distant tent. At one point a forklift drives past. You're telling me this guy goes there every day and does this? And people watch it? You must have found the video "UAE workers drink beers and smoke weed on their break" a non stop, edge-of-your-seat, roller coaster ride of excitement.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Set aside some time to :munch: and :wtc:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-07-12/how-tesla-s-model-3-became-elon-musk-s-version-of-hell

Lotta hilarious and damning stuff

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
EDIT:^^^ Weird how people can read the same article and come to vastly different conclusions. This is a pretty cool look into a industry changing startup and what it take to make something like a mass market, revolutionary EV happen. It really does mirror what happens in young, hungry tech companies. I'm sure it is not the standard story of traditional auto manufactures, but why would it be?

Tesla announced they did NOT pass the 200k EV sales limit in Q2, but did in early July. This means the $7.5K federal tax credit will stay in effect until the end of 2018. If you buy a Tesla and take delivery before the end of the year you will qualify for the full credit (in USA).

spandexcajun fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 12, 2018

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spandexcajun posted:

Tesla announced they did NOT pass the 200k EV sales limit in Q2, but did in early July. This means the $7.5K federal tax credit will stay in effect until the end of 2018. If you buy a Tesla and take delivery before the end of the year you will qualify for the full credit (in USA).

There's some speculation they did that on purpose to keep it going.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

ratbert90 posted:

There's some speculation they did that on purpose to keep it going.
The 11,000 cars in transit says yes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's real bad news for everyone that was waiting on their barebones 35k Model 3, right?

They wont get the full rebate, but instead some graduated rebate right??

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

spandexcajun posted:

It really does mirror what happens in young, hungry tech companies.

Yes, who can forget the time the guy lost his arm because an employee of Netflix was throwing DVDs over the raw sewage covering their office.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

FilthyImp posted:

That's real bad news for everyone that was waiting on their barebones 35k Model 3, right?

They wont get the full rebate, but instead some graduated rebate right??

Not really, plenty of people though the full credit would go away in Q3, now it is extended through the end of the year. After that is is cut in 1/2 for 2 quarters. So a base model (if available) would be $31,250 vs the mythical $27,500. It's not great news, but I don't think it would be a deal breaker for someone buying a $30K luxury sedan.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Fallen Rib

Three Olives posted:

Yes, who can forget the time the guy lost his arm because an employee of Netflix was throwing DVDs over the raw sewage covering their office.

Auto manufactures having employees get hurt / killed on the job is not news, only Tesla employees count. As far as I know Tesla's safety rating is not wildly better or worse then others in the auto industry.

Google packed so many people in it's buildings it violated building code and had port o potties put in the parking lots. Google offices were litteraly ontop of toxic waist dumps:

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Google-workers-at-Superfund-site-exposed-4368421.php

People in silicon valley live in the back of panel trucks because software engineers making 1/4 million dollars a year can't afford an apartment. So, yeah, a building with plumbing problems is not so big a deal.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
I only jerk off to the best footage of forklifts driving around production lines.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FistEnergy posted:

Please point out specifically what you see that looks lovely. Maybe include timestamps.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

spandexcajun posted:

Auto manufactures having employees get hurt / killed on the job is not news, only Tesla employees count. As far as I know Tesla's safety rating is not wildly better or worse then others in the auto industry.

Google packed so many people in it's buildings it violated building code and had port o potties put in the parking lots. Google offices were litteraly ontop of toxic waist dumps:

https://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Google-workers-at-Superfund-site-exposed-4368421.php

People in silicon valley live in the back of panel trucks because software engineers making 1/4 million dollars a year can't afford an apartment. So, yeah, a building with plumbing problems is not so big a deal.
Tesla's injury rates are in fact higher than the industry as a whole and they've been accused of artificially deflating them. When the NUMMI factory was run by GM and Toyota, it produced as many as 430,000 vehicles annually (~8200/wk) while employing ~5,500 people. Tesla has around 10,000 people working there now and with a huge parking lot tent, a bunch of cut corners, and round the clock shifts they struggled to reach even 5,000 per week. What Tesla is doing isn't "tech disruption" it's failing to learn the hard fought lessons of decades of automobile manufacturing.

Most of their production issues have nothign to do with the fact that their cars are electric. They are failing on quality control for normal auto manufacturing things. Reports from QE professionals confirm that their drivetrain and batteries are in fact the best parts of the cars, while all the normal stuff is what's a mess.

Thanks for pointing out the lovely labor culture of Silicon Valley, it is a problem all over.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 12, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

spandexcajun posted:

This is a pretty cool look into a industry changing startup and what it take to make something like a mass market, revolutionary EV happen.

1) tesla has yet to make a mass market revolutionary ev
2) none of the stuff that went wrong was necessary to create an arguably mass market revolutionary ev, it was all retarded hubris (which was recognized at the time!)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

quote:

At a typical plant run by Toyota Motor Corp., widely seen as the most capable carmaker, a new car requires about 30 hours of labor. Even with all the robots, Tesla spends more than three times that number of hours on each car, says Michelle Hill, a manufacturing expert at management consulting firm Oliver Wyman.

disruption!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

spandexcajun posted:

EDIT:^^^ Weird how people can read the same article and come to vastly different conclusions. This is a pretty cool look into a industry changing startup and what it take to make something like a mass market, revolutionary EV happen. It really does mirror what happens in young, hungry tech companies. I'm sure it is not the standard story of traditional auto manufactures, but why would it be?

Please tell me this is a copypaste from Tesla Chuds on the internet because no, it's not good and no, it's not professional and no, it's not smart. It's idiocy and grift, writ large.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

Please point out specifically what you see that looks lovely. Maybe include timestamps.

The part that looks lovely is the whole video, where almost nothing is happening while the financials swirl around the toilet bowl. Contrast the video with the pictures of the NYT puff piece.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

FistEnergy posted:

The part that looks lovely is the whole video, where almost nothing is happening while the financials swirl around the toilet bowl. Contrast the video with the pictures of the NYT puff piece.

If I took a random short video of one of the steel production factories I work in occasionally I too could show a lovely back lot with nothing happening... all while 500 tons of steel are being loaded onto several BDoubles around the front and another several hundreds tons in production

If you had any experiences of a real factory random scences like that are in fact common. There is literally nothing worthy of further comment other than yeah annnnd?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If I took a random short video of one of the steel production factories I work in occasionally I too could show a lovely back lot with nothing happening... all while 500 tons of steel are being loaded onto several BDoubles around the front and another several hundreds tons in production

If you had any experiences of a real factory random scences like that are in fact common. There is literally nothing worthy of further comment other than yeah annnnd?

So basically in your analogy Tesla is successfully producing tons of a well made cars except they are not doing any of those things.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tesla can be poo poo and that video can also be a stupid waste of time which demonstrates nothing. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Three Olives posted:

So basically in your analogy Tesla is successfully producing tons of a well made cars except they are not doing any of those things.

A poorly filmed video in a random spot that shows a few workers not doing much has utterly zero context or knowledge that in a real factory that is in other locations a swarm of activity that kind of thing is in fact Completely loving normal. It's not an analogy at all, it's called reality.

There's what, 10,000 workers at Tesla? You think they are all sitting on their rear end? Are you also aware that even the busiest factories aren't always moving at breakneck speeds 24/7 and that areas shut down for maintenance or a piss break or a shift change?

But hey, apparently Tesla aren't producing a ton of cars...... waiiiit a second, they seem to be making at least 5000 cars a week right now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I should have said 10,000 at the plant in question. Apologies.

(Source - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-07-12/how-tesla-s-model-3-became-elon-musk-s-version-of-hell)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

For all we know, some could be sitting on their heads

:colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m wondering at this point if Tesla is not anticipating continued production at this level, and the tent is set up to help surge cars to make up the backlog/game EV tax credits, and then production will continue for the remainder of the product cycle in the permanent production facilities.

Is it confirmed as an actual assembly building, and not some kind of QC/QA/Rework Facility?

Fun and mostly-unrelated factory fact: The Boeing Everett Factory looks positively desolate most of the time, very little movement, etc, until shift change. It’s not until then that you realize there were roughly ten thousand people on the floor working.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the most damming bits from that piece are still the basic facts

quote:

Today, Tesla has about 10,000 workers at its Fremont plant. GM and Toyota had less than half that and produced more than 400,000 cars at the plant’s peak in 2006. Tesla argues that a larger workforce is justified given that more of the car is manufactured in-house, but interviews with workers suggest the company has stretched to ensure that there are enough workers on the floor. Current and former employees describe 12-hour shifts as common, with some going as long as 16 hours.

and this is pretty much peak "everyone told you so, moron"

quote:

“An important error that Tesla has made is simply ignoring the extensive experience of the last 50 years in the auto industry,” says Harley Shaiken, a University of California at Berkeley professor who chaired a state commission that warned against the 2010 closure of the Fremont plant, which previously had been operated by Toyota and General Motors Co. as a joint venture. Tesla sought, Shaiken continues, “to start from scratch in a way that has resulted in meltdowns and near-meltdowns.”
In retrospect, Musk says, trying to automate so much of Tesla’s factory at once was overly ambitious. “We thought it would be good, but it was not good,” he says. “We were huge idiots and didn’t know what we were doing.”

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MrYenko posted:

I’m wondering at this point if Tesla is not anticipating continued production at this level, and the tent is set up to help surge cars to make up the backlog/game EV tax credits, and then production will continue for the remainder of the product cycle in the permanent production facilities.

Is it confirmed as an actual assembly building, and not some kind of QC/QA/Rework Facility?

Fun and mostly-unrelated factory fact: The Boeing Everett Factory looks positively desolate most of the time, very little movement, etc, until shift change. It’s not until then that you realize there were roughly ten thousand people on the floor working.

Yes, it is confirmed that it’s a general assembly line. There are (by my count) now four GA lines for Model 3 production. The first two utterly poo poo ones, a newer one alongside (that he told us about at the Q1 earnings call) and now the one outside. Presumably at some point the two poo poo ones are going to be dismantled? Who the gently caress knows with Tesla, they’ll find the least efficient way to do it no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The EV Thread: We thought it would be good, but it was not good

• Locked thread