Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The Justice system is full of Bizarre customs that everyone just accepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

You should have to stand before a court. gently caress sitting there and saying nah I answer to God, that's bullshit.

She's a dumb idiot for not just doing it, but gently caress me it's a dumb pointless rule. Why should anyone stand when a judge enters?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hooman posted:

She's a dumb idiot for not just doing it, but gently caress me it's a dumb pointless rule. Why should anyone stand when a judge enters?

Because we're not animals and deference to the court is important. It's not about the judge as a person. The judge represents the values of a society. That's why you stand.

bell jar posted:

Does justice somehow not get carried if the offender doesn't stand in the presence of the singular person that dictates their future? Talk about thin skinned

It doesn't have anything to do with individuals.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean if paying deference keeps our courts relatively impartial,

oh except for the systemic discrimination against people of colour; victims of sexual assault; male parents seeking custody-

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

I mean if paying deference keeps our courts relatively impartial,

oh except for the systemic discrimination against people of colour; victims of sexual assault; male parents seeking custody-

Where is the data that courts do this?

e: I will take victims of sexual assault as being cross examination and procedural poo poo that's horrible and that is a fair point, but nothing to do with saying gently caress you I only stand before God.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Because we're not animals and deference to the court is important. It's not about the judge as a person. The judge represents the values of a society. That's why you stand.

Why? Should we also show deference to cops? How about politicians? What part of this is a useful thing and what is just a historical quirk where the rabble had to show respect to their betters?

It's already illegal to disrupt court proceedings, if you don't stand up when a judge enters or bow or poo poo who loving cares?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

lmao she flipped him the isis sign on being convicted

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

lmao she flipped him the isis sign on being convicted

She's an idiot. I agree.

Why should it be illegal to not stand for judges?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Why are these assholes just so bitter all the time?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

She's an idiot. I agree.

Why should it be illegal to not stand for judges?

It should be contempt. No one would defend this if it was a single dad or some other white, sad sack loser in there making a point.

e: as I said, it's just a sign of respect for a core institution and what it represents, which is ostensibly justice and order.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 11, 2018

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
i thought going in a few minutes early to stand until everyone else got there and causing a fuss just by going to the toilet were funny

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

U-huh. And what should you do if you feel that the justice system no longer serves the people or justice?

(lmao I went looking for this quote and forgot it was from a transformers cartoon :downs:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnZM0AYdxhg&t=2s

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

U-huh. And what should you do if you feel that the justice system no longer serves the people or justice?

(lmao I went looking for this quote and forgot it was from a transformers cartoon :downs:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnZM0AYdxhg&t=2s

Write to the herald sun about activist judges favouring blacks every day of your life.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

It should be contempt. No one would defend this if it was a single dad or some other white, sad sack loser in there making a point.

e: as I said, it's just a sign of respect for a core institution and what it represents, which is ostensibly justice and order.

Why do you think an action like this would be a) punished or b) reported if the "offender" wasn't brown?

Why do you think that someone who is targeted by a core institution should a) respect it and b) get punished for not doing so?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Surely there would be less indigenous deaths in custody if they just respected the institution more :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

Why do you think an action like this would be a) punished or b) reported if the "offender" wasn't brown?

Why do you think that someone who is targeted by a core institution should a) respect it and b) get punished for not doing so?

I'm glad this core institution targets isis recruiters and their 100% on board with it families.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

Surely there would be less indigenous deaths in custody if they just respected the institution more :shrug:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

No, honestly if it was a white idiot doing this I'd raise the same question. They're dumb as gently caress for not just standing but the standing rule is also dumb as gently caress.

Do you think the same respect should be applied to cops? Do you think everyone should stand when a police officer enters the room? What about a politician? Aren't cops justice and order, aren't politicians who make the law also part of a core institution? Do you think it should be a punishable offence if you don't?

EDIT: I mean this poo poo is literally bow and scrape before your betters. Is our justice system there to be served by people or to serve the people involved in it?

hooman fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 11, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

I'm glad this core institution targets isis recruiters and their 100% on board with it families.

First they came for the ISIS recruiters who wouldn't stand up in front of a judge, and I said nothing, for I was not an ISIS recruiter

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It's okay that brown people are punished for not requesting the magistrate's permission before having a slash, because those brown people are, ah, isis

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

No, honestly if it was a white idiot doing this I'd raise the same question. They're dumb as gently caress for not just standing but the standing rule is also dumb as gently caress.

Do you think the same respect should be applied to cops? Do you think everyone should stand when a police officer enters the room? What about a politician? Aren't cops justice and order, aren't politicians who make the law also part of a core institution? Do you think it should be a punishable offence if you don't?

No. No. No. Courts are held apart from police and politicians and are the final expression of our democracy. It shouldn't be a specific law, but if you are doing it to make a point that you refuse to acknowledge the rule of law then gently caress you, contempt.

bell jar posted:

It's okay that brown people are punished for not requesting the magistrate's permission before having a slash, because those brown people are, ah, isis

I'm not going to reply to you any more because if I applied your logic, I'd be calling you an isis supporter or something equally unrelated to simply standing for a judge.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 11, 2018

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Stand before courts, make football men stand for the national anthem, make your children pledge loyalty to the flag of Australia. It's called showing RESPECT (For corrupt institutions)

Tbh though I think Australian courts are pretty drat worthy of respect, it just seems like a dumb poo poo American nationalistic law.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gentleman Baller posted:

Stand before courts, make football men stand for the national anthem, make your children pledge loyalty to the flag of Australia. It's called showing RESPECT (For corrupt institutions)

Tbh though I think Australian courts are pretty drat worthy of respect, it just seems like a dumb poo poo American nationalistic law.

Yeah the specific law against it is stupid and was enacted by a dumb government.

e: anyway I think procedure and honouring the court is important, others don't. It's not really an important issue. If it were up to me it'd just go a warning for someone to either go "oops sorry" or to elect to express their contempt, then a $50 fine or something.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 11, 2018

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Before Times posted:

albo's deliberately trying to shift the overton window IMO

He’s starting early on building the case that he’s a Sensible, Pragmatic leader that will make the Hard Decisions (torturing refugees, failing to do anything about climate change). I doubt he’d be so stupid as to force a challenge against Shorten. The most sensible approach would be to wait until after the election, but i could see him challenging if the by-elections are disastrous. Another classic no-win situation the ALP have found themselves in

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

That's going to be the last big action scene of the movie.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Apparently Hollywood studios have already landed in Thailand to secure the rights of the story from the boys and they haven't even been out of that cave for a day.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

Apparently Hollywood studios have already landed in Thailand to secure the rights of the story from the boys and they haven't even been out of that cave for a day.

Producers have been there sniffing around to secure rights since the weekend.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Has anyone seen the 911 movie with Nick Cage

Because that's what we're looking at here. A rushed, boring pile of didn't need to be made movie.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Tl;dr: standing in court matters because of what it and the court represents, and having consequences for saying "gently caress you" to the court is good.

Imo, standing in court matters because it is a mark of respect not just for the judge, but for the proceedings and (where applicable) the victims. Court proceedings are highly formalised matters for good reason - you're literally dealing with people's lives. Almost every element of a court proceeding is run by a process. Lawyers don't wear wigs (in some courts) and call each other "my learned friend" for funsies, it's because it reinforces the serious and mutually respectful nature of proceedings. In inherently hostile circumstances like a court case, things can very quickly devolve into explicit and unproductive hostilities if people are allowed to do whatever.

Now, is anyone going to die if this woman doesn't stand for the judge? Of course not, nobody is suggesting this. The point is, if you go down the route of "well why should the lawyers stand for the judge? Or wear robes? Or sit in a court and not a park? Or listen to the judge at all? Or XYZ", you quickly start stripping back the elements of formality that reinforce the serious and respectful nature of proceedings, and veer into "why even have rules at all?" territory. Yeah, in the grand universal scheme of things it isn't a big deal, and it probably makes more sense to people who actually work or have experience in the legal profession than those who don't, but that doesn't mean it's a dumb rule for the context in which it operates and what the action represents.

In this situation, where the person was explicitly doing it as a "gently caress you", I have absolutely no issue with them facing contempt of court consequences for an action that was explicitly intended to show their contempt for the court. Judges should still have discretion about enforcing the rule, but I don't think it's a bad rule, and contempt of court is a good charge to have in existence generally.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Outsiders boycott got a literal HOW DARE YOU out of Bolt, very pleasing.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
https://thewest.com.au/lifestyle/food/ku-de-ta-in-administration-why-are-so-many-perth-restaurants-closing-ng-b88892227z

The West posted:

Restaurant and Catering Industry Association chair and owner of Subiaco’s Bistro Felix Jeremy Cariss said the suburb’s many eateries were operating on a shoestring.

He revealed a typical $30 meal left room for only about $1 of profit once expenses including wages and rent were taken into account.

“It doesn’t leave really much left at the end of that, unfortunately,” he said.

“You feel like you’re running along a cliff, one foot over the edge of the cliff and one foot on the cliff all the time.”

Broadfield said it was important for restaurants to adapt their ways to survive.

“Restaurateurs that won’t survive in the new restaurant scene are being dumped out of the business by the new group, the new restaurateurs who are doing amazing things,” he said.

Where your $30 meal price goes

Wages: $11.88

Property costs: $4.98

Food: $8.76

Sundry expenses (including credit card fees):$3.36

Profit: $1.02

I guess we can all look forward to another wage suppression/reduction campaign from the nation's media folks.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I love how the only people who think that it's incredibly vital to stand for a judge are the two rusted on ALP shills and also perfect examples of white middle-upper Australians, with all the detachment from social issues faced by marginalised peoples that such a class entails.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

CrazyTolradi posted:

I love how the only people who think that it's incredibly vital to stand for a judge are the two rusted on ALP shills and also perfect examples of white middle-upper Australians, with all the detachment from social issues faced by marginalised peoples that such a class entails.

I'm about two months off being admitted as lawyer and have spent the past five years volunteering at Legal Aid clinics.

Edit: which is not to say that I know better, just that that's why I have the perspective I do, and I am fully capable of understanding why certain people take the actions that they do and still disagreeing with them anyway. This isn't a case where someone was unjustly persecuted because of their race or faith, in which case I might make an exception, and my position would be the same if the person was a white rich dude.

Whitlam fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 11, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Big day for pollies on trains

https://twitter.com/kypros1992/status/1016921022702817280

https://twitter.com/dannolan/status/1016907022019670016

Note, vic libs 'chartered' the train to cranbourne for the photo ops. Didn't even catch a scheduled service.

https://twitter.com/goforgold80s/status/1016919260273053696

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
is this dickhead taking up three seats for his jacket and his loving ipad

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CrazyTolradi posted:

What has standing for a judge got to do with "marginalised peoples"? I spent seven years representing predominantly African and SE Asian poverty line workers. I fail to draw the connection between systemic issues that land people in courts and simply standing to initiate and honour important proceedings for yourself or others. Standing for the court isn't for the judge, it's a symbolic act of participation.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My father is the kind of idiot that wouldn't stand for a judge and I'd support him having the book thrown at him.

Also cute that people are overlaying their own preconceptions as usual by saying poo poo like "incredibly vital"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/theboltreport/status/1016616975932407808

Yeah definitely got me convinced.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

snoremac posted:

Outsiders boycott got a literal HOW DARE YOU out of Bolt, very pleasing.

how did they even tell people were boycotting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

CrazyTolradi posted:

• Locked thread