Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Kevin De Leon may get the Democratic party's endorsement over arch-lich Feinstein

https://theintercept.com/2018/07/10/dianne-feinstein-california-kevin-de-leon/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I doubt De Leon gets the endorsement but it does sound like at the very least Feinstein won't get it either, which is something I guess.

quote:

De Leon also has a weekend event - he's calling it the "Abolish ICE Cream Social."

:five:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

https://therealdeal.com/la/2018/07/09/force-behind-campaign-against-metros-purple-line-has-ties-to-trump/

Some blatant, disgusting rich nimbyism: Rich fuckers in beverly hills are trying to persuade Trump to pull funding for LA subway extension. I mean, Beverly Hills efforts to curb the subway is hilarious as much as its fuking depressing but pulling the fake hairs of trump seems to actually work. This extension is desperately needed for vets to get to the VA (and to a lesser extent link westwood\ucla with DTLA and eventually the valley) and just gently caress Beverly Hills...seriously.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 11, 2018

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

incoherent posted:

https://therealdeal.com/la/2018/07/09/force-behind-campaign-against-metros-purple-line-has-ties-to-trump/

Some blatant, disgusting rich nimbyism: Rich fuckers in beverly hills are trying to persuade Trump to pull funding for LA subway extension. I mean, Beverly Hills efforts to curb the subway is hilarious as much as its fuking depressing but pulling the fake hairs of trump seems to actually work. This extension is desperately needed for vets to get to the VA (and to a lesser extent link westwood\ucla with DTLA and eventually the valley) and just gently caress Beverly Hills...seriously.

Mother fuckers.

They're the reason we have a subway line that has like 3 stops.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The UC is still v. good, the schools kill it in the rankings, it's just rapidly becoming no longer a public institution.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, UC isn't an affordable system anymore.

And CSUs are flooded so impacted majors are common.

And we keep raising CC unit costs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In retrospect I am incredibly fortunate to have been born when I was, because I *just* managed to ride through the "cheap as hell CC credits -> easy admission to a CSU -> less years at expensive uni because most of my GE's are done" gravy train before it went off the rails and exploded at the bottom of a ravine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sydin posted:

In retrospect I am incredibly fortunate to have been born when I was, because I *just* managed to ride through the "cheap as hell CC credits -> easy admission to a CSU -> less years at expensive uni because most of my GE's are done" gravy train before it went off the rails and exploded at the bottom of a ravine.

:same:
I paid $11-13 a unit at CCSF, transferred the max transferrable credits to SFSU, and paid about $2k a semester for 4 semesters plus a summer session for the last handful of units, and walked away with a bachelor's degree and less than $12k in student loan debt, all federally subsidized. Granted I worked my way through college so I never used student loan money for food or housing, I only borrowed for my CSU tuition and books. And so it took over 7 years. But that's still a viable approach, especially if you pick a CSU campus that isn't in the highest cost of living metropolitan area in the world.

But I was lucky as poo poo to get in before the costs of tuition got cranked up so high. You can do what I did now, but you're probably going to rack up more like $50k of debt, maybe a lot more if you have to borrow to help pay your rent.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
CSU tuition is still an incredible value even today

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sydin posted:

yeah same. i went through a CC (SRJC) from like 05-09 (shut up im a loving retard) and it was cheap as hell, got all my poo poo done, worked there while going to classes so i had money+connections, and we had great Exchange bank scholarships that basically funded everything anyways but that got killed during the financial meltdown the last year i was there. i think it was like $300 a semester and had lots of transfer agreements to UCs (Davis and Berkeley included).

UC Davis was still kind of expensive tho at like <$10k a year (excluding housing) which is a lot but wasn't much more than a CSU at the time which I think was maybe like 7-8k a year. apparently now its like 20k a year for UCD and like 10k a year for a CSU. yikes that's almost doubled in 10 years

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 12, 2018

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

SDSU is ~$7500 right now and the administration made it sould like they were doing us a favor by not increasing it for '18-'19.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
UC tuition doubled when I was in undergrad from 00-04.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Bastard Tetris posted:

UC tuition doubled when I was in undergrad from 00-04.
That's not a solely UC thing though.

College tuition costs are skyrocketing across the US as a college degree becomes more and more required by bosses even for things that don't even remotely require one to do.

The US government now owns over $1.3 Trillion in student loan debt, half of all government-owned debts

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Full time tuition at the east bay CC near me is <$550 a semester for in-state tuition which I think is a pretty good deal.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Dunno if I missed this getting posted but uhhh wtf
http://theweek.com/speedreads/784128/malls-california-are-sending-license-plate-information-ice

quote:

Irvine Company "is putting not only immigrants at risk, but invading the privacy of its customers by allowing a third-party to hold onto their data indefinitely," EFF wrote in its report, urging the chain of malls to stop providing information to ICE.

The following retail locations, owned by Irvine Company Retail Properties, have a contract with Vigilant Solutions - a company that gathers license plate information and sells that data to law enforcement, including ICE.

IRVINE:
Irvine Spectrum Center
Alton Marketplace | Irvine Spectrum®
Alton Retail Center
Alton Square
Campus Plaza
Crossroads
Culver Plaza
Cypress Village Shopping Center
Executive Park
Harvard Place Shopping Center
Harvard Place Auto Plaza
Lakeside Plaza
Los Olivos® Apartment Village
Los Olivos® Marketplace | Irvine Spectrum®
Northpark Plaza
Oak Creek® Shopping Center
Orchard Hills® Shopping Center
Parkview Center
Quail Hill® Shopping Center
Sand Canyon Plaza
The Park at Irvine Spectrum®
The Square®
The Village at Irvine Spectrum®
University Center
University Park Center
Walnut Village Center
Westpark™ Plaza
Woodbridge Village Center
Woodbury™ Town Center

LA JOLLA:
The Plaza

NEWPORT BEACH:
Fashion Island
Bayside Shopping Center
Corona del Mar Plaza
Crystal Cove Shopping Center
Eastbluff Village Center
Harbor View Shopping Center
Newport Coast® Shopping Center
Newport Hills Shopping Center
Newport North Shopping Center
The Bluffs Shopping Center
Westcliff Plaza

REDWOOD CITY:
Franklin Street

SAN JOSE:
Crescent Village
River View
North Park

SANTA CLARA:
Santa Clara Square Marketplace
Monticello

SUNNYVALE:
Cherry Orchard Shopping Center

TUSTIN:
The Market Place
This really narrows down my ability to continue to bankrupt moviepass WITHOUT constant surveillance

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Dunno if I missed this getting posted but uhhh wtf
http://theweek.com/speedreads/784128/malls-california-are-sending-license-plate-information-ice

This really narrows down my ability to continue to bankrupt moviepass WITHOUT constant surveillance

It’s okay, Moviepass lost $40m in May and is apparently on schedule to lose $45m this month, so it sounds like it doesn’t need any more help losing money.

Too bad, I haven’t seen the new Jurassic Park yet!!!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:lol: I work right across the street from one of those. Thankfully, I don't drive.

That said I'm totally killing time during lunch looking for plate scanners and cameras today.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Shear Modulus posted:

id like to be rich enough some time in my life to own one house let alone two

You can get one in Riverside, but then people will poo poo on you for being a poor.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Sydin posted:

:lol: I work right across the street from one of those. Thankfully, I don't drive.

That said I'm totally killing time during lunch looking for plate scanners and cameras today.

I live down the road from one. Thankfully I walk there more than I drive.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

You can get one in Riverside, but then people will poo poo on you for being a poor.

Riverside is nice.

San Bernardino or Moreno Valley are the lovely areas now.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Black market weed is so cheap right now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Turtlicious posted:

Black market weed is so cheap right now.

Yeah the market has totally collapsed. If you read Matt Taibbi's "Confessions of a Drug Dealer" the main character talks about the "nightmare scenario" for weed dealers back in the late Aughts who were getting 1600+ bucks a pound would be having to sell weed wholesale for 400 bucks a pound....and then he reveals it's now 200 bucks a pound.

It's an interesting book, it's being released serially and it's all about dealing weed and how the legalization process has these big financial companies enter the market at crowd out the "mom and pops" (read: the illegal drug dealers trying to go legit)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I haven't bought black market weed in years now and I doubt I ever will again.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Riverside, being a town run by a bunch of retired cop shitheads, turned down the opportunity for a legal dispensary.

I don't feel like driving to LA or San Diego, so....

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

SD's dispensary scene is awful now so you ain't missing anything there

gently caress Urbn Leaf forever

Luckily Chula Vista and its plethora of affordable 24/7 shops is 15 minutes away :420:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Riverside, being a town run by a bunch of retired cop shitheads, turned down the opportunity for a legal dispensary.

I don't feel like driving to LA or San Diego, so....

There's a bunch in Jurupa Valley

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I've heard they're skunky

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

SD's dispensary scene is awful now so you ain't missing anything there

gently caress Urbn Leaf forever

Luckily Chula Vista and its plethora of affordable 24/7 shops is 15 minutes away :420:
Apothekare has seemed fine to me (with prices falling noticeably since the initial spike in January), haven't tried Urbn Leaf yet, what's their deal?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Sydin posted:

And spraypainting over them, right?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

You can buy like 10 acres for ~5 - 10k in Lancaster or Palmdale or Blythe right now. Why rent when you can do meth in the hot summer sun on land you own?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I consult in a cannabis-adjacent field and business is fuckin amazing right now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, UC isn't an affordable system anymore.

And CSUs are flooded so impacted majors are common.

And we keep raising CC unit costs.

when i began my CC quest 12 (?) years ago after failing out of college, tuition was $11 per unit. now it's like 40 or something lmfao. I took like a 8 year hiatus tho while I got sucked and hosed by work and a bad relationship. :hellyeah:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mike- posted:

CSU tuition is still an incredible value even today

yea it aint bad, but its still a lot of cheese for the working poor, to whom it should be available and designed for. it is our civic duty to elevate our most needy brothers and sisters.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Bastard Tetris posted:

I consult in a cannabis-adjacent field and business is fuckin amazing right now
What's cannabis-adjacent? Hemp clothing?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Taco bell

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cicero posted:

What's cannabis-adjacent? Hemp clothing?

Meth

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
He's a cop

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Glassblower, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/DavidOAtkins/status/1018331933321789440

The CA democratic party endorsed De Leon over Feinstein for Senate :eyepop: