Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Edit: gently caress I suck at posting. Imagine this is a 13in brown trout.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

But I’m at work and can’t look in my pants.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

same

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Did you kill them first?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Ant of y'all ever tried Tenkara fly fishing? I'm thinking of picking up a rig.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

There's a couple dudes in here that do it. I've tried it a couple times in San Diego but never really found a good spot to do it due to trees and an 11 foot long stick and all. I did take it up to the mountains one time to try out in the stream but on that trip the water was basically raging down the mountain, aaaand it didn't work out so well.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I fish pretty much exclusively with tenkara and keiryu rods. A lot of the Japanese rods tenkarabum sells are really fantastic. American rods are usually less nice, but they're also much cheaper and way easier to get parts for if you break a section doing something dumb. I use my extremely expensive Daiwa Expert and my much cheaper Tenkararodco Owyhee about equally.

Also, it's really fun, and it's cool fishing flatwater with these rods as well - I get lots of largemouth and sunfish in local lakes.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 10, 2018

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I went to pick up jig heads today and discovered that Big Hammer and Z Man make mini swimbaits, too. gently caress yeah! Hope they work as well as the twice as expensive Sierra Slammers that I love.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I recently picked up a Hane from TenkaraUSA. My wife uses the Ito from them as well.

I like the Hane, and it's a nice compact packable rod. Very different from the western rod style, but I've caught plenty of fish with it. My biggest issue is that it's easy to break if you treat it like a standard western rod. It's not - it's more delicate in some ways, but I've still landed large fish with it. Technique is definitely critical.

The nice thing about TenkaraUSA is that they replace anything for free if it's in the first 60 days of purchase. They're in Boulder, so it's super fast for me to get replacement parts, which I like. I've never had to wait more than a day for anything.

That being said, it's nice to walk to the river and be ready in a few seconds - much faster than piecing the rod together, feeding line, tying in, and then fishing. With my tenkara rod, I telescope the rod and unwind the tapered line. My tippet and fly are already on there ready to go. I'm going to experiment with a tippet ring and a couple of soft hackles to see if it's as good as people say.

I wouldn't say that tenkara is better or worse than typical western fly rods - it has advantages and disadvantages. I like both and use both.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

So today I learned that bluegills in sex mode do not like to eat. I hit a spot today before I went to the tackle store and I saw maybe 10 bluegill in this big area devoid of vegetation and crap. I was like, oh poo poo I'm gonna get a bunch of these guys, they're going to go nuts! They rejected several colors of swim baits and also multiple mini tube jig colors. I only really got bit on the side of the lure as they were moving it out of their bedding area. Oh well.

Anyway, here are all those baits I bought rigged up. The top one is my normal Sierra Slammers 2" on a 1/16 oz jig head with a size 4 hook. The one in the middle is the Big Hammer 2", but it's clearly bigger, it's on the same head. The last one is the Z-Man 2.5" on a 1/8 jig head with a size 2 hook I think. Maybe size 1. I'm thinking about going in late to work tomorrow and hitting the lake super early beforehand. Shhhh, don't tell anyone.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

This evening I went under that bridge I found last week with my dog and a ziplock bag of frozen greenbacks I had caught at the Skyway pier about six weeks ago. When the tide started to come in the mangrove snapper bite started, before that I caught a rather large pinfish I was going to use for bait but ultimately decided to let it go. I caught about a half dozen mangrove snapper, all undersized except one which might have been a bit over 10" (I let everything go) and a hardhead catfish once it got dark out and I ran out of bait. I also hosed around with a stone crab, tried to catch it bare-handed by using a piece of bait to get it out from under its rock but it kept darting back too quickly. I didn't want to get pinched so I gave up after about 10 minutes.

Anyway, pics!

The presentation. ~1" chunk of greenback on 3/0 circle hook (barb clamped down), about 2.5' of 30lb fluorocarbon leader, and one split shot weight about 2' up from the hook for depth.

Bella inspecting the first snapper of the day:

Lil guy:

This was the biggest one but I still think it might not have been legal. Irrelevant since I had no means of keeping fish today. I like how red its belly is:

A good dog and fishing buddy:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Danthrax posted:

This evening I went under that bridge I found last week with my dog and a ziplock bag of frozen greenbacks I had caught at the Skyway pier about six weeks ago. When the tide started to come in the mangrove snapper bite started, before that I caught a rather large pinfish I was going to use for bait but ultimately decided to let it go. I caught about a half dozen mangrove snapper, all undersized except one which might have been a bit over 10" (I let everything go) and a hardhead catfish once it got dark out and I ran out of bait.

TheBizzness posted:

As long as I catch a fish it was worth the trip.

Even if it’s only a 6” mangrove snapper or a freaking pin fish, it was worth it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

drat it, why isn't icast open to the public, its 2 hours away from me and they have so many shiny new things I wanna find out more about. :argh:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Carry a bit of pantyhose. It snags up really good on crab claws. Kinda silly but works well on blues in particular.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

I set my alarm for 4:15 this morning. When it went off my wife says, "What the hell are you doing?". I reply, "I'm going to the lake before work" to which she replies "You're dumb." Anyway, the bass were hungry this morning. I got my first frog fish of 2018, woop woop. It was a big one too, I believe it's my new PB. Maybe 3 or 4 lbs? Maybe more? I dunno. They were busting all over the little cove I was in, I was feeling super confident. Got it on my 4th cast I think. The mouth wasn't massive but it was thick. I got another one shortly after and missed 3 or 4 more. I swapped over to that purple Z-Man swim bait and nailed a few more on the ultra light. Such an awesome morning.

Got here early, busted out the cell phone flashlight because nobody likes stepping on a rattlesnake:

Fish pix, blurry from my adrenaline induced hand shaking and the low light:

Bonus pic. I was squishing around in some newly exposed shoreline and saw this massive bloated Senko. My boot is a size 11, for comparison:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gently caress yeah, dude! I guess you have to be dumb at 4:30am to get your PB. Very nice catch on the frog. Is a mouse next?

I finally fly home tomorrow and I'm ready to catch some loving fish. But do I break in my fly rod or go for some of those monster carp and/or catfish? Difficult decisions on my horizon.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Carry a bit of pantyhose. It snags up really good on crab claws. Kinda silly but works well on blues in particular.

Is it easy to remove from the crab? I don't want to keep them, I just wanted to take a couple pictures of the little dude and put him back where I found him.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Never had much of an issue with it. Only really snags them up for a few seconds.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Holy moly, how did I not know this thread existed until now? I've been in the ask/tell thread for a couple years but never knew about this one.

I love fishing, but don't get to do it as much as I'd like anymore. I live in MN and primarily fish for walleye, but will also go after sunfish, crappie, northern pike depending on the time of year. One of my buddies fishes like 250+ days a year on the St. Croix river so I will join him for walleye, lake sturgeon and catfishing. I do a lot of fishing on lake of the woods, which is the 2nd biggest inland lake in the US if you exclude the great lakes.

I could do a big post about ice fishing up there in the winter cause it's quite the operation. They put big tracks(like a tank) on Econoline vans that are chopped off behind the drivers seat. They build a big enclosure on the back that's stuffed with foam and take people 5-10 miles out onto the lake. We usually fish out of portable houses with snowmobiles, but the track vans are pretty wild, the resort brings out over 300 people per day!
https://www.google.com/search?q=arn...QGbOr11bgBxSjM:

I also just got back from a week long trip to Canada with my wife, I wrote up a big long report on walleye central about it, but I'd be happy to re-post here if people are interested in reading. It's...really long.

Until then, I'll just post some cherry picked photos of my best fish of the last 5 years or so :).

Big walleye, I believe this one was 27.5" and 9.5#, which is heavy for that length:

Same day, 28.5" walleye which was 10.5#, my standing personal best!

37" northern caught on Lake of the woods:

Flathead catfish, I think it was around 35#:

53" lake sturgeon, from the same day as the flathead above:

Another random walleye, low 20s by the looks of it:

Let me know if you want like 10 really long posts detailing my whole trip to Five Lakes Lodge in Red Lake, Ontario!

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Welcome to the thread my man! Post pics/stories always, we love it. You need to back off with the walleye pics though, or else Sockington might have to start a turf war with you. He'll drive his 900 lb boat all the way down to MN to bash your kneecaps with an Ugly Stik, which are of course indestructible and therefore the best suited for the task.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I love mangrove snapper and I wish I had time to fish for them like I used to. Fuckers will bite you with no remorse.

It's an awesome time of year for snapper right now. I got two ~14-16" muttons last week (sadly shy of the 18" requirement) from shore minutes apart, and I've never caught them from shore before.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd think an ugly stick would be better used as a whip than a bludgeon. It'd leave some nasty welts.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

joem83 posted:

Welcome to the thread my man! Post pics/stories always, we love it. You need to back off with the walleye pics though, or else Sockington might have to start a turf war with you. He'll drive his 900 lb boat all the way down to MN to bash your kneecaps with an Ugly Stik, which are of course indestructible and therefore the best suited for the task.

I haven’t made it through the whole thread but I definitely saw his posts! He appears to fish a lot more often than I do.

Sockington, you ever try B’Fishn Tackle soft plastics? Both those big walleye were caught on a river in February on their 4” moxi plastics. Those are by far my favorite soft plastic.

http://customjigs.com/products/authentx-moxi.html

I like the purple sparkle one with the chartreuse tail the best :).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I usually drift live bait on crawler harnesses attached to bottom bouncers. My fish are waaaaaaaaaay smaller than yours though :aaa:

The two ton dinghy got some work this week. Cleaned the floor off in sections and primed as I went.

Fuel storage area mostly roughed in.

Fishing content! It had been a while since I caught anything, so went out this morning in the kayak. I definitely didn’t have a grasp on vertical jigging, so hopped out of the yak and drove over to the store and got some worms for drifting harnesses.

We had a south wind, so the action was slow due to my lack of speed. I had to paddle with the current to keep a good drift. Managed to get one Walter.

A bunch of gobies too :3:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Dude I can't wait until your destroyer is on the water, slaying Walters. Your restoration project is extremely my poo poo.

Been a while since I've caught a fish, but here's a fish fountain and a testament to how esteemed the poop trout is (was?) in Munich:

Also chiming in to say that pouring molten lead is super fun and I'm falling down the tacklecraft rabbit hole pretty hard. I have amassed many Do-It molds for jigs and sinkers, and it's hella satisfying to pull shiny new terminal tackle from the hot mold.

Welcome to the thread and I would love to hear all you know about crappies.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’ll keep an eye out for bucket o’ tire weights during yard sales for you.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

I’ll keep an eye out for bucket o’ tire weights during yard sales for you.

:respek: Here's a man who knows how to get free jigs from appreciative lead-pouring weirdos.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Spiralite_Custom_Rods/catpage-SPIR.html

These look pretty cool, you don't see a lot of acid wrapped rods for sale out there. Or maybe I just don't look for them, lol. Most every time I've seen them they've been custom jobs.

edit: I'm also oddly excited for these. I bet they would be freaking KILLER with a 2" Keitech.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakatsu_Crappie_Jig_Head_5pk/descpage-GCJH.html

joem83 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 18, 2018

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Friday morning, I shall be off to The Massassauga Provincial Park on Georgian Bay with my brother and his boat.
I am hoping to catch some Gar. When he was up there a few weeks ago my nephew got one and apparently it fought like a motherfucker.

I tried to get one of them bitches last year to no avail. Hopefully this is the time when I can scream out GAAAARRRRRRR MATEY!!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

joem83 posted:

These look pretty cool, you don't see a lot of acid wrapped rods for sale out there. Or maybe I just don't look for them, lol. Most every time I've seen them they've been custom jobs.

edit: I'm also oddly excited for these. I bet they would be freaking KILLER with a 2" Keitech.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakatsu_Crappie_Jig_Head_5pk/descpage-GCJH.html

What the heck is an acid wrapped rod? Also, Ark rods fo lyfe. I love the 7'6" Viper medium heavy I bought last april and am already looking at saving up for a new rod from them.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/LIVETARGET_Hollow_Body_Crawfish_Jig/descpage-LTHBC.html
I'm betting these will be fantastic here in central/south florida. I spent most of my Okeechobee trip throwing some form of craw immitating bait.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Friday morning, I shall be off to The Massassauga Provincial Park on Georgian Bay with my brother and his boat.
I am hoping to catch some Gar. When he was up there a few weeks ago my nephew got one and apparently it fought like a motherfucker.

I tried to get one of them bitches last year to no avail. Hopefully this is the time when I can scream out GAAAARRRRRRR MATEY!!

It will help your chances if you are drinking grog. I am certain of this.

joem83 posted:

This is the mold that I use for crappie jigs, using Mustad sproat hooks at the moment. They don't have the screw lock, obviously, but I'll send you some if you'd like! I don't want any money, just the practice.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Elmnt80 posted:

What the heck is an acid wrapped rod? Also, Ark rods fo lyfe. I love the 7'6" Viper medium heavy I bought last april and am already looking at saving up for a new rod from them.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/LIVETARGET_Hollow_Body_Crawfish_Jig/descpage-LTHBC.html
I'm betting these will be fantastic here in central/south florida. I spent most of my Okeechobee trip throwing some form of craw immitating bait.

On acid wrapped rods the guides are arranged around the rod at rotating angles rather than lined up. Like this randomly googled example.

http://hooklineandsinker.ca/23161-2/

Haven't ever fished with one but it's said that it helps fight bigger fish on lighter tackle.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Holy poo poo. Thats awesome looking. Seems like it would actually hurt casting distance with the line tightening around the rod though.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I'm not actually sure whether it's for casting or just dropping off the side of a boat.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I took a buddy from work to the Skyway pier yesterday evening to try and get some mangrove snapper. We caught exactly one, but we also got a small gafftop (bleh) and a 12" silver trout (my first one ever so a PB). And we also got 3 spanish mackerel, my buddy got a 14" and a 15" and I got a 16.5". Neither of us had caught one before, so we both caught PBs! Only bites we had were on chunks of greenback, the shrimp we brought was either eaten by pinfish or ignored. I ate the snapper for lunch today, my mackerel filets are in the fridge for tomorrow. I need to get better at processing fish, which basically means I need more practice and a sharper knife.

The only picture I took, before we started cleaning the fish in my sink:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Grill em up

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Man I am so jealous of you guys that live near saltwater

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Nice fish!

Mackerel can be fairly "fishy," so my prep often includes soaking in milk or buttermilk overnight before cooking.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Enigma posted:

Nice fish!

Mackerel can be fairly "fishy," so my prep often includes soaking in milk or buttermilk overnight before cooking.

Also it’s possible to be allegeric to mackerel.

I always barbecued mine with generous amounts of sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

"'He just sucked it in.' Watch this Goliath grouper inhale a 3-foot-long reef shark"

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article215227955.html

Never get out of the boat.