Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Eerkik posted:

I've been debating real hard on SK or Pally actually, was leaning paladin since SK's seem to be super over represented on Coirnav and I haven't seen really any paladin's yet... I'll probably flip a coin. I really like the idea of a utility/heal tank but if it's gonna be super suboptimal compared to my close second choice I may as well just run SK.

Because SK's are vastly superior than Pally. Unless it is undead, SK damage also smashes a pally. I'd also recommend dropping the druid for a bard. Sure pre PoK, you'll get to some place slower but you'll clear faster so balances out. SK/Bard/Shaman is a beast combo.

P.S. Don't play a pally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Ignore this guy - Paladin is awesome.

Except if you want to deal damage. Honestly, SKs probably better all around, but Pally (imo) has better ways to carry a poo poo group and keep them from wiping.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Are the servers still down from maintenance? My friends said DBG gives bonus exp days for extended downtime, have they done that in the past?

Also I partied with a Ranger who had headshot, what were the original developers thinking when they gave rangers that ability?

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 21, 2018

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

OGS-Remix posted:

Are the servers still down from maintenance? My friends said DBG gives bonus exp days for extended downtime, have they done that in the past?

Also I partied with a Ranger who had headshot, what were the original developers thinking when they have rangers that ability?

Yes, Yes.

Give a cool skill to a class that sucked dick for (at the time) like 3 years,

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

FranktheBank posted:

Yes, Yes.

Give a cool skill to a class that sucked dick for (at the time) like 3 years,

Ok good to hear that we'll probably get some extra exp.

Knights didn't get anything nearly as cool as headshot. :colbert:

The only thing I remember being good at was taking DTs. :rip:

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

OGS-Remix posted:

Ok good to hear that we'll probably get some extra exp.

Knights didn't get anything nearly as cool as headshot. :colbert:

The only thing I remember being good at was taking DTs. :rip:

Improved LoH is pretty OP

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Knights get free horses. They're even not poo poo tier slow later!

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Givin posted:

Knights get free horses. They're even not poo poo tier slow later!

Free insta-cast horses :smug:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I had 1500 days /played when I quit p199 on my enchanter (birthdate was 2010).

My brother and friends rolled on Coirnav and want me to join them; what's different about this server compared to what I was used to on p1999?

I can already see microtransactions, instanced dungeons, and pretty much being able to "pay your way" as far as you want. Our total noob friend who can't kite a mob with his level 30 druid spent $100 and is basically in best-of-slot gear, which I think is kind of funny.

Is there a large goon presence on Coirnav?

I would be interested in playing a Bard, which were swarm kiters who developed carpal tunnel from pressing 100x more buttons than everyone else on p1999.

I know /melody is in the game, but how else are bards different?

Can you do normal, effecient bard kiting on Coirnav even though swarm kiting was removed?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure bard's can't kite worth a poo poo at all since they made the change where their damage songs don't land while they are moving.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
RCarr is correct, bard (aoe) kiting is basically dead. You can still swarm with charm songs later. I guess you could still use chants and kite single mobs but this is pretty slow and I think damage to moving mobs is still reduced?

Also, pretty much all bards on Coirnav are bad, they use like 2 songs and go afk or are convinced their melee DPS matters and don't bother doing half of the things bards are good at. I grouped with a bard who didn't have a single haste song, at level 40, because he didn't know you got a new song every level and only bought songs from GFay. Don't be that guy.

Krono make the game a bit pay-to-win in some aspects (you could spend like 15 krono and get your epic MQ'd) but this is pretty rare and outside of a few pieces (like Karnor Pipe for monks) most of the epic stuff isn't overly camped by farmers at this point.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I guess Bard is out then. I'd probably do Enchanter again or try Necro. Never really wanted to Shaman.

How big is the server pop? All it says is "up" where the number used to be in classic EQ.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Good bards are incredible, but bad bards are pretty bad.

I played a bard for a long time so I'm just overly critical of bad ones. Just saying, most of the people playing bards on Coirnav are doing it wrong.

Enchanters are excellent but fall off in Velious (at least towards end-game). Necromancers are always strong, can bring a ton to a group but people never love grouping with them because they assume all you do is meditate and cast inefficient dots.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Don't be discouraged to play a bard because others can't do it. The last progression server I played on, I tried a bard for the first time in my life. I spent the time to actually learn how to play it well, and it was amazing what you can do. I'm really glad I did it.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Elephunk posted:

I had 1500 days /played when I quit p199 on my enchanter (birthdate was 2010).

My brother and friends rolled on Coirnav and want me to join them; what's different about this server compared to what I was used to on p1999?

I can already see microtransactions, instanced dungeons, and pretty much being able to "pay your way" as far as you want. Our total noob friend who can't kite a mob with his level 30 druid spent $100 and is basically in best-of-slot gear, which I think is kind of funny.

Is there a large goon presence on Coirnav?

I would be interested in playing a Bard, which were swarm kiters who developed carpal tunnel from pressing 100x more buttons than everyone else on p1999.

I know /melody is in the game, but how else are bards different?

Can you do normal, effecient bard kiting on Coirnav even though swarm kiting was removed?

9 out of 10 bards are complete and total garbage on this server. If you have even the slightest bit of knowledge of playing the class beyond sitting afk and playing /melody, you can go very far. It sounds like you do just how you described your p99 experience.

The saddest part, people want you to do just that in groups for the most part. It's terrible. Dipshits playing songs on raid target pulls, the aforementioned sitting afk leeching exp and loot and I only expect it to get worse in velious and beyond. You won't have trouble finding groups. If they are worth a poo poo will be the biggest concern but with some work you could easily work your way into a static group.

The bard DPS thing isn't an exaggeration. The 4th guild my static group was in (before it went tits up recently) had a bard that would constantly bitch about DPS parses and argued that because he can super dot and charm it was a waste of his time to you know, do other bard things.. It got old really fast.

This server is trash. Be warned. I got fed up with it and quit. Just waiting for my last few friends to hit the wall and burn so we can move on or try Live, Phinny or something completely different.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

suuma posted:

Good bards are incredible, but bad bards are pretty bad.

I played a bard for a long time so I'm just overly critical of bad ones. Just saying, most of the people playing bards on Coirnav are doing it wrong.

Enchanters are excellent but fall off in Velious (at least towards end-game). Necromancers are always strong, can bring a ton to a group but people never love grouping with them because they assume all you do is meditate and cast inefficient dots.

The reason people (some) don't like necros is that in a group situation, they really don't offer much. By the time you get a few dots on the mob, it is dead. If you have a non stacked monk/zerker group then a typical mob will die in say 15 seconds assuming 50% of the gear is decent. That's not even 3 ticks of a DoT not even factoring multiple casting of spells and their cast time. Now if you assume a decent group will be pulling multiple mobs to bash on the tanks (and hopefully bards) DS, then sure you can load up multiple mobs with dots but at some point this will suck down even a necros high regen mana pool so. Even then, your dots aren't huge damage and once all the mobs are loaded up if that's even possible then you just DD with some bad nukes. Basically, your mana to damage efficiency is just out right awful.

TLP raids, they don't even parse. Until they do something for their DoT over haul, they are pretty bad currently. I can't speak for live.

Anyway recommended classes to play right now on Coirnav and don't crash and burn in later expansions.

Cleric - Don't need to say much.
Shamans - Okish right now but get better and better. PoP they get their dot heal which is insanely good and on phinny (TSS currently), they are crazy with group cures, champion, very good heals and slows/buffs.
Monk - Very high DPS and solos very well once AA's go live. They are like shamans and just get better and better due to their broken innate damage buff.
Bards - Always popular and fun if you like that play style.
Rogues - Great DPS but your DPS is same as a monk so just play a monk instead.

Unless you want to see kunark, velious etc, I'd start on Phinny tbh. AA autogrant and live exp rates along with defiant gear dropping. Plus the community isn't as bad (players are really really bad) and cancerous as Coirnav.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Just rolled on Corinav for the first time as Chachi, the level 12 Bard.

Headed to Unrest soon, send /tell if you're on this weird server too

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Elephunk posted:

I returned to play on Coirnav. I’ll check my bank, I might have a few bard usable pieces. I’m awwyiss, per usual.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Elephunk posted:

I might have a few pieces I can send you or at least some plat for song/instrument money if you need it. Playing as Durask.

I don't have a ton of resources but if you need something specific just send a tell.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I finally hit 60 on both my chars so now I'm ready for the real grind. The keying quests all look like pains in the rear end, is there any order I should try to do them in?

I got carried through the PoJ trial so I'm keyed for Valor and Storms. People said Bastion of Thunder is good to keyed for and also I need to look for pickup Grummus raids for some reason? Is Grummus for Plane of Disease?

Also for AAs I'm guessing I should focus on the tanking AAs on my SK and pick up the dps ones later. The tanking one's actually seem kinda OP if they give straight avoidance in addition to raising the AC cap.

For Sha should I just beeline straight for Canni?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Tanks need their defensive AA maxed at all times.

Grummus is in Plane of Disease but finishing the event flags you for Crypt of Decay.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
For flags, just be around pok/tranq and look for pug raids. Alternatively, join a guild that will help.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Apparently if you're in a group and someone else in your group accepts a raid invite you'll just join that raid and get all of their instance lockout timers . Now I'm hosed out of running plane of fire with my guild for this week. What a crock.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Republicans posted:

Apparently if you're in a group and someone else in your group accepts a raid invite you'll just join that raid and get all of their instance lockout timers . Now I'm hosed out of running plane of fire with my guild for this week. What a crock.

I feel like there should be a That's Everquest smiley similar to the XCOM one.

On a more positive bug/feature last week a friend of mine died in a pick that was collapsing. He got rezzed and put into the main instance, except he also had a body there as well.

So he got rezzed again and actually gained exp from dying. :shrug:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
/em scratches self

anyone got dat krono pm me

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Republicans posted:

This is if you join their raid then then they pop the DZ.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I'm 37 now on corinav, Chachi the Bard.

Got level 21-37 over the bonus, did the lambent armor quests for the first time alone. Had some real good laughs playing this old rear end game again.

Mistmoore ballroom took many wipes and attempts for the BP and we were cracking up on voice the whole time.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
anyone still playing on Luclin? I'd donate a few krono to get carried to 110 on my ranger and paladin, or heck grouping would be fun too! They're 85 and 86, respectively.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

How's the new progression server? Thinking of hopping back in, and can't decide between Live and one of the newer progression servers.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Devorum posted:

How's the new progression server? Thinking of hopping back in, and can't decide between Live and one of the newer progression servers.

I'm having fun I think. XP is fairly quick and the levelling population is still big.

Velious is August 29th

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Elephunk posted:

I'm having fun I think. XP is fairly quick and the levelling population is still big.

Velious is August 29th

Oh, snap that's my birthday.

EDIT: I had forgotten the pain of trying to acquire a fire beetle eye as a druid in Kelethin.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 7, 2018

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Can anybody show me a bard macro for mez and retarget, or charm and retarget?

I tried to follow this guide, but something in the macro says I need the underfoot expansion to work when I try to use it on Corinav?

http://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/groovy-bard-song-macros.204965/

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
That /xtar command is for the extended target window that doesn’t come in until much later.

That’s what’s holding up your macro right now.

If you are boxing, you can establish Aggie with your tank, tab target over to the one you want to next and make sure your attack is off, and then /assist main, /cast # for your mez.

Otherwise it won’t work because you don’t have the specificity to target the “guy other than the one the tank is on” for mez until the extended target window comes into the game.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Saw something unusual last night. Was in the crypt in Seb and had invis-to-undead on but the dar ghoul knight were still con as 'attack' but I wasn't getting the message that they could see me.

I didn't get close enough to see if they would agro.

Is this just some weirdness with con or could they still see me ?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Baconroll posted:

Saw something unusual last night. Was in the crypt in Seb and had invis-to-undead on but the dar ghoul knight were still con as 'attack' but I wasn't getting the message that they could see me.

Were you double invis? It has some strange interactions with that.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Dubious posted:

anyone still playing on Luclin? I'd donate a few krono to get carried to 110 on my ranger and paladin, or heck grouping would be fun too! They're 85 and 86, respectively.

I am active on luclin. I also have invite privileges to a big, casual grouping guild. If you want to join, pm me your character names. There are at least 2 other goons in guild, but I don't see them online very often.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Baconroll posted:

It is possible for mobs in seb to spawn with "see invis". Those will agro you. I learned the hard way in this last HH round.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Bard question - some songs have a very obvious instrument modifier (e.g. do more damage), but how would equipping a wind instrument effect the 53 mez ? The duration and range aren't impacted - would there be less change to resist ?

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Krycek posted:

I am active on luclin. I also have invite privileges to a big, casual grouping guild. If you want to join, pm me your character names. There are at least 2 other goons in guild, but I don't see them online very often.

3 friends and I just started playing on Luclin... in a guild at the moment, warmonger's something or other... we're all in the mid 50''s and play pretty frequently now, but not sure how long that will last. What's best way to contact you in game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Krycek posted:

I had 3500 daybreak bucks collecting dust, so decided to roll a heroic character.. wow.. after not having played for a decade or so, 65 pages of spells and 4k AA points is a lot to digest :(