Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Aniodia posted:

From one of the Facebook groups I lurk in, someone mentioned buying the .stl file from HeroForge and using Impact Miniatures to actually print it out.

From what they were saying, it was SLA resin, $5 to print and $5 to ship. Now, obviously I don't know where they're shipping from or to, but for the quality of the mini, it seems like you could save a few bucks and get a better mini overall.

You wouldn't happen to know how to actually submit the .stl file to Impact, would you? Their site is...not exactly helpful.

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, for when 40K Killteam comes out, I'm going to make a chapter of female Space Marines. I figured I would wait until the actual rulebooks come out to actually build the team but in the meantime, lets paint and prototype a Space Marine.

So I was inspired by a photo of someone's other chapter they made that I thought was cool. Black base with this ice blue/neon blue trim So. I wanted to copy that but go purple instead of blue. Off the bat the purple I used is way to dark for a black base. I had to fidget with the lamp I'm using in these shots to get the color to pop. I gotta go for something that is brighter but not dulled down to much. I want this bold purple. As for little detail, I still need work, especially the eyes. This was also my first try at painting on the Tactical Logo instead of using a transfer.

Any advice people can give me would be appreciated.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
It's looking great for a first attempt so far. You need to trim your mold lines though - the seams stick out like a sore thumb - and drill your gun barrels if you can get your hand on a pin drill, your models will look much better for it.

Your paint doesn't seem to be too thick, but it is a bit patchy. Typically you'll want to thin your paint and do two or three coats of the same color to get good coverage without losing detail - it's tedious, but the results are worth it.

The next thing you'll want to do is use a shade on the recesses to bring out all the detail - I'd say Nuln Oil because it'll go well with both the purple and the silver. A shade will darken down the colors you've already done though, so after you do, do a layer of your original colors over the higher areas to add more definition to them.

One of the best resources available for learning to paint is the Warhammer TV painting guides - https://www.youtube.com/user/GamesWorkshopWNT/videos
They break it down into easy to follow steps that're useful for beginning and advanced painters, and you can pick up ideas for color combinations or neat tricks that you might not otherwise think of.

Your linework looks really clean so far, good job keeping your hands steady, and keep posting your stuff!

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Slimnoid posted:

You wouldn't happen to know how to actually submit the .stl file to Impact, would you? Their site is...not exactly helpful.

Unfortunately, I don't. Not gonna lie, I'm not terribly literate in the whole 3d printing process, nor do I really have any local friends who I could bug for help. All else fails, try their support email and ask there? :shrug:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Stephenls posted:

I also have Vallejo grey primer and while I've never been impressed with its coverage, what you describe is much worse than anything I've experienced. I suspect you're right, and it's your bottle that's the problem.

(I bought a whole flat of Stinylrez primers -- the set with all the different colors -- only to get home and discover every single bottle in the set was skunked. You have my sympathies.)

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm just going to ditch the bottle.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, for when 40K Killteam comes out, I'm going to make a chapter of female Space Marines. I figured I would wait until the actual rulebooks come out to actually build the team but in the meantime, lets paint and prototype a Space Marine.

So I was inspired by a photo of someone's other chapter they made that I thought was cool. Black base with this ice blue/neon blue trim So. I wanted to copy that but go purple instead of blue. Off the bat the purple I used is way to dark for a black base. I had to fidget with the lamp I'm using in these shots to get the color to pop. I gotta go for something that is brighter but not dulled down to much. I want this bold purple. As for little detail, I still need work, especially the eyes. This was also my first try at painting on the Tactical Logo instead of using a transfer.

Any advice people can give me would be appreciated.

Proper purple is really hard to get to pop, the real trick is in the highlights. Your base is probably the right shade of purple, but you'll need to get some really bright pink/violet to do your edge highlights to get it to really stand out, especially next to black.
My marines are all purple and they look super dark until I do an edge highlight and then suddenly the color comes out. It's weird.

What paints are you using? For my marines I use a base of GW Xereus Purple, shaded with Druchii Violet, highlight of Genestealer Purple, and then a final edge highlight with Dechala Lilac.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Deviant posted:

If I want to clear coat before a wash to aid with flow, can I just use a spray can gloss varnish? i see people doing airbrush voodoo with furniture polish and stuff and i'm not down for buying more equipment.

Related: How do the varnishes in Vallejo's standard (62.062 and 62.064) range differ from the Mecha Colors varnishes (26.701 and 26.702)? I just want something I can brush on that isn't gonna bend me over on price.

Requoting for new page because i think it got lost

Oh, also, where should I buy from online? Amazon wants to ruin me on shipping.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

darnon posted:

The Reaper Master Series Paint Starter set appears to cover a good chunk of the spectrum but no included brushes or minis. The ones with figs tend to skip some basic color or another.

I'd also consider the Vallejo Game Color Intro Set. A little pricier and still no brushes or figs, but more paints.

Neither come with a shade wash like the Army Painter starter sets though I've found AP paints to be rather variable in quality.

I'm probably going with this one because its got a couple brushes, minis for practice and a little instruction book to get me started and go from there.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I started with that one and can highly recommend it.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Aniodia posted:

Unfortunately, I don't. Not gonna lie, I'm not terribly literate in the whole 3d printing process, nor do I really have any local friends who I could bug for help. All else fails, try their support email and ask there? :shrug:

If you do run across the post/group again do let us know. That model looks so crisp compared to stuff directly from HeroForge.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Bucnasti posted:

Proper purple is really hard to get to pop, the real trick is in the highlights. Your base is probably the right shade of purple, but you'll need to get some really bright pink/violet to do your edge highlights to get it to really stand out, especially next to black.
My marines are all purple and they look super dark until I do an edge highlight and then suddenly the color comes out. It's weird.

What paints are you using? For my marines I use a base of GW Xereus Purple, shaded with Druchii Violet, highlight of Genestealer Purple, and then a final edge highlight with Dechala Lilac.

For the black I used a spray of Army Painter's Matt Black Primer (The reason the pads look a little splotchy is because I went over areas I missed or accidentally got purple on with Abadon Black) and the purple is Naggaroth Night.

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Finally finished the rest of this box of custodes.
The problem with going the extra mile for the bases on the regular guys in an army, is I have to go the extra extra mile for the bases on the HQs.
Fortunately Brother Castor, the worlds most generic named space marine, was there to lay down his life and turn into a statue for my shield captains base.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Does this mean your trajan will have to be on a 6" tall finely sculpted waterfall to convey that he is even fancier than a Captain?

EDIT: Also, your dudes look great. The bone and gold are a great scheme and really makes the gold pop nicely.

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

He'll just have to be usable as sufficient terrain to fill a 2x2 section of a table.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Other than snapping the banner top off and subsequently losing it, I'm quite happy with this guy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arson Fire posted:

Finally finished the rest of this box of custodes.
The problem with going the extra mile for the bases on the regular guys in an army, is I have to go the extra extra mile for the bases on the HQs.
Fortunately Brother Castor, the worlds most generic named space marine, was there to lay down his life and turn into a statue for my shield captains base.

These guys are dope as hell. The buried Marine statue is a neat touch.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Arthil posted:

If you do run across the post/group again do let us know. That model looks so crisp compared to stuff directly from HeroForge.

Just asked the guy who originally posted that picture, and he said he just got in touch with Impact Minis through Facebook Messenger. Simple enough, I guess.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I just finished up the first 3 Nighthaunts from my starter set. These guys are fragile as hell but very fun to paint. I suppose I could get a smoother gradation for the spectral areas by wet blending more but I haven't done that much before. Has anyone used Nihilak Oxide as a was before? Its used in an older Nighthaunts painting guide GW put out but its pretty thick in the pot so I'm not sure how it would go.

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

I've used Nihilakh Oxide as a wash to paint a ghost miniature a while back. While it's thin enough out of the pot to be used as a wash, I'd say it's got a fair bit more pigment in it than normal washes. It's also a bit brighter than most washes.

I painted it over white to get a semi-shaded base colour, then highlighted and shaded with other colours from there. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of that mini on me right now.

Arson Fire fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 11, 2018

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Hmm, I think I'll give it a try with a little thinning. Sounds like it would help make the ghostly parts less flat.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chance II posted:

Hmm, I think I'll give it a try with a little thinning. Sounds like it would help make the ghostly parts less flat.

Honestly I'd recommend picking up Secret Weapon green wash instead, it's super cheap and it'll do the job a hell of a lot better

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

After months of picking away at this, i'm finally getting somewhere

Suitably gross

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Sorry for asking here but I'm on my phone and it's not easy to search The Something Awful Forums on it. Where's the scale modeling thread and also where can I learn about Killteam?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Furism posted:

Sorry for asking here but I'm on my phone and it's not easy to search The Something Awful Forums on it. Where's the scale modeling thread and also where can I learn about Killteam?

The scale modeling thread is here

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Furism posted:

As for Kill Team, start here and then move onto the growing faction focus here.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Skarsnik posted:

After months of picking away at this, i'm finally getting somewhere

Suitably gross

Sicc as hell. How'd you do the flesh?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A pretty simple recipe, one I used on a nurgle lord a while back, just took bloody ages because of the size

Rakarth flesh airbrushed on, then a thin layer of kislev brushed all over. Thinned reikland fleshshade all over, and then a more targeted application neat into all the deep folds

Thin blended layers with screaming skull was the horribly dull long bit, but then it gave me a base to have fun on.

Everything past that point is washes and glazes, with no real plan in mind

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Why the heck won't this citadel texture paint (Valhallan Blizzard) stick to my base?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Has the base been primed or otherwise painted first? It might need more to grab onto if it's just a bare base. So primer or some basing paste with texture to it like Black Lava.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

darnon posted:

Has the base been primed or otherwise painted first? It might need more to grab onto if it's just a bare base. So primer or some basing paste with texture to it like Black Lava.

It got primed along with the model, but that's it. I thought the snow could be used alone, I'm doing star wars snowtroopers.

Edit: should i lay down a different texture paint, then use the snow as an accent?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 11, 2018

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

NTRabbit posted:

The scale modeling thread is here

Cooked Auto posted:

As for Kill Team, start here and then move onto the growing faction focus here.

Thanks a lot!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Okay, yeah, I see the problem. I was expecting Valhallan Blizzard to work like the other texture paints, when it's more snowy. A bit of stirland mud and some white paint, and my guy has a sufficiently mudstompy looking snow base.

Edit: My beautiful snowy boy.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 11, 2018

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Deviant posted:

Okay, yeah, I see the problem. I was expecting Valhallan Blizzard to work like the other texture paints, when it's more snowy. A bit of stirland mud and some white paint, and my guy has a sufficiently mudstompy looking snow base.

Edit: My beautiful snowy boy.

I find that I almost need to use a wide brush like a trowel to get it out of the pot and spread it around. Nevertheless, I love snow bases and enjoy seeing others doing them too.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I find that I almost need to use a wide brush like a trowel to get it out of the pot and spread it around. Nevertheless, I love snow bases and enjoy seeing others doing them too.

I found that wasn't stiff enough. I ended up using an exacto blade, and i'm gonna probably get a sculpting spatula thingy.

Relatedly, I'm gonna repost a few questions that got lost on the last page:

1) If I want to gloss a model before washing it to aid with the flow, is a standard rattlecan gloss okay?
2) What's the best brush on matte and gloss? Someone like snowy boy here i'd like to differntiate fabric and armor.
3) Where would you buy the items in 2?

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I use an old oil paint spatula for gw texture paint. I couldn't get it to work right with just a brush without making a mess.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
For gloss Pledge Future is great and has a bunch of uses. It's usually stocked with floor wax and the like. For matte varnish I use a big bottle of Liquitex. Art stores will stock it or Amazon. Unless you're opposed to the place for political reasons Hobby Lobby is a good place to get it since you can get a 40% off one item coupon every day.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

darnon posted:

For gloss Pledge Future is great and has a bunch of uses. It's usually stocked with floor wax and the like. For matte varnish I use a big bottle of Liquitex. Art stores will stock it or Amazon. Unless you're opposed to the place for political reasons Hobby Lobby is a good place to get it since you can get a 40% off one item coupon every day.

Doesn't future have to be run through an airbrush? And that won't stick long term, right? Or does it 'dry' like a rattlecan gloss would?

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pledge-Floor-Multi-Surface-Finish/dp/B000ARPH4C/ This stuff?

The reason I ask if i can use a rattle can gloss pre wash is because I already have it laying around.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 11, 2018

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Every arts and crafts store has 40% off one item or 30% off total purchase coupons freely available if you don't want to give money to christian conspiracy theorists who fund islamic extremism. Not like Hobby Lobby's prices and deals are better than any other big box craft store.

Future can be brushed on, it's just handy because it's super cheap and thin enough to easily go through airbrushes without any more prep. It has the same properties as any other acrylic gloss varnish. Rattlecan gloss should be fine, as long as you give it plenty of time to cure before doing your wash.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
It dries fine like a regular gloss and goes on with a brush. Typically that's how I apply it anyways when final sealing a model so I can get even, complete coverage. It'll fog a little if you go too thick in some area, but I've always had it clear it up after fully drying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Preem Palver posted:

christian conspiracy theorists who fund islamic extremism
Storytime?