Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

tokomon posted:

I hate facebook.

I think maybe it’s your family you actually should hate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Josef bugman posted:

People were talking earlier about how people define themselves based on the media they consume. Is there anywhere to talk more about that? It is always interesting to hear how people define themselves and if people do that with all media or is it just more prevalent/ obviously dumb as gently caress with gamers?

Thanks!

You posted in the TVTropes mock thread, right? That's probably where I learned most of what I did about this kind of thing. There was also a tumblr mock thread which contained a lot of material from communities that were centered entirely around shows like Doctor Who and BBC's Sherlock, and also loving nuts. That thread also mocked a lot of kids coming to terms with their sexuality or gender identity in various degrees of healthiness, and you know how goons are about gender identity. I learned a lot about trans issues from the goons telling the other goons to shut the gently caress up, though.

I can understand why mock threads are gone and this thread is on a tight leash, but goons responding to bad faith shitposts can be remarkably educational.

Anyways, it's definitely not limited to video games. Here, let me make up for this post with this ol' internet classic:

quote:

RANT TIME

Harry Potter book release: don't worry, no spoilers.

Showed up at seven, in full costume for a nine am release. Devoted no? I was one of the few to dress up, and I was the best-dressed. I'm not being vain, I honestly had the most detailed and accurate costume there.

We were told in line, that the best-dressed person in line gets to open the box and have the first Half-Blood Prince book. So, I'm a shoo-in, aren't I?

WRONG.

loving moo brings her bratty sprog in at 8:59am dressed in a generic Kmart cape with stars and glitter and loving gaudy BLAH. Twig for a wand.

OMG WITTLE PWESHUS SO CUTE OMG YOU CAN OPEN THE BOX AND HAVE THIS BOOK YOU CAN'T READ AND *fawning fawning, blatant breederism etc*

THE loving KID WON'T EVEN REMEMBER THIS. THE BOX OPENING WAS MINE. MIIIIINE.

I wouldn't have minded if someone had said "Oh look Sass, you are best-dressed but would you mind if this land-mine amputee opened the box instead?" I would have said "Absolutely no problem. Go for it." But no. loving CROTCHDROPPING GETS THE HONOUR. I'm furious. On principle of course, not out of any sense of entitlement. Well yes, entitlement also. But I WORKED FOR IT, I DESERVED IT.

I made an effort. I spent money making an effort. I showed up early. I will remember and treasure this event for ever and eternity. And I'm passed over for an ugly little brat with a sparkly tie. Woo loving woo.

I didn't stab her in the eye with my wand. I WANTED to. I talked about doing so VERY loving LOUDLY. I was going to eviscerate her mother with the cover of my brand-new copy.

I loving hate breeders and child-lovers. loving GO TO HELL.

I'm so pissed about this, sorry. It's just that in ten years time, this kid won't remember what she was doing on July 16th 2005. In ten years time, I will be remembering how I was deprived of this nerdly honor by an opportunistic twat breeder and her shitling. I'm hurt. All my life, nothing has gotten to me more than being deliberately ignored, or passed over. Honestly; that's the sort of thing that can make me cry in public. Or key your car. Or viciously murder you and your family in the heat of frustration and never-ending denial Congratulations breeders, you win.

Edited to add: To all of you who are calling me immature etc, I'd like to add that you make a very good point, but have you considered GO gently caress YOURSELF? If you're so anal-retentive, go back to the other community and go on with your breeder-humping. Also, to the person who submitted this to fandom_wank, I seriously (no sarcasm) thank you. I've always wanted to be there!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If they hate kids why do they read books that - as far as I know - are mostly about kids?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Krispy Wafer posted:

We did that with Secret Hitler except the guy doing the deck made two Hitlers.

Nothing is made better with extra Hitlers.

All Hitler clone soccer team.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

:byodame: posted:

Also, to the person who submitted this to fandom_wank, I seriously (no sarcasm) thank you. I've always wanted to be there!

I don't know what the word for this kind of thing -- where they say "oh you're pissing on me? do go on, I love being pissed on, no seriously it's u who are suffering since I am enjoying it so much! -- is, but there should be one. loving hell it makes me laugh. So transparent in their white-hot, clenched-fist, hunched-over-keyboard rage.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

If they hate kids why do they read books that - as far as I know - are mostly about kids?

They like their kids fictional.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Weatherman posted:

I don't know what the word for this kind of thing -- where they say "oh you're pissing on me? do go on, I love being pissed on, no seriously it's u who are suffering since I am enjoying it so much! -- is, but there should be one. loving hell it makes me laugh. So transparent in their white-hot, clenched-fist, hunched-over-keyboard rage.

It's generally called the Puppetmaster defense.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/rachelmillman/status/1016891599517872128

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

[/quote]

this isn't blood in my mouth, it's victory wine

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jerry Cotton posted:

At that point in the series, the main characters are 16 and people are dying in every book.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Honestly the whining Muggle isn't the worst person in that story. Some fan wasn't content enough with making their own identity all about a young adult book series that they've now taught their kid to yell "Qua'dich!" to the approval and applaud of grown-ups.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

spergy insane harry potter rant

This is definitely the (gotta be pushing 40yo) guy my ex knew* who goes to all the conventions here, photographs all the girls and posts on social media, declares himself a "Gray asexual" whatever in the internet that's supposed to be, and once, while sitting in front of my ex at a movie, turned around and said hi and proceeded to creep her on fb on his phone, right in front of her (without any prior formal meeting)

*she didn't really know him, her sister is into all that cosplay poo poo and only kinda knew him through her

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thanks, I hate it

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

codo27 posted:

declares himself a "Gray asexual" whatever in the internet that's supposed to be,

It's basically "I'm asexual except sometimes I want to have sex." Related to demisexual, "I only feel sexual attraction after I get to know someone," as one of those "I need to feel special and/or I live in the incelverse where normal sexuality consists of constant anonymous orgies in the next room" things.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

People were talking earlier about how people define themselves based on the media they consume. Is there anywhere to talk more about that? It is always interesting to hear how people define themselves and if people do that with all media or is it just more prevalent/ obviously dumb as gently caress with gamers?

Thanks!

It fuels the entire professional and college sports industries but we kinda just accept that

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

It fuels the entire professional and college sports industries but we kinda just accept that

Don't forget Disney!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Puppy Time posted:

It's basically "I'm asexual except sometimes I want to have sex." Related to demisexual, "I only feel sexual attraction after I get to know someone," as one of those "I need to feel special and/or I live in the incelverse where normal sexuality consists of constant anonymous orgies in the next room" things.

There's a whole spectrum of sexualities that were invented by teenager trying to come to terms with their budding sexuality not expressing itself as the hormone hurricane they've been taught to expect. I think they usually grow out of it. I've yet to encounter any in the wild, at least.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There's a whole spectrum of sexualities that were invented by teenager trying to come to terms with their budding sexuality not expressing itself as the hormone hurricane they've been taught to expect. I think they usually grow out of it. I've yet to encounter any in the wild, at least.

Not only have I encountered them in the wild, I had some people try to convince me that I was in fact demisexual because I didn't have a strong interest in one-night stands with people I barely knew. They seem to think that the standard for sexual behavior is a willingness to gently caress anyone and everyone that passes by and you must be something different if you prefer to get to know someone before sticking your dick in her.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Not only have I encountered them in the wild, I had some people try to convince me that I was in fact demisexual because I didn't have a strong interest in one-night stands with people I barely knew. They seem to think that the standard for sexual behavior is a willingness to gently caress anyone and everyone that passes by and you must be something different if you prefer to get to know someone before sticking your dick in her.

According to asexuality.org you're halfway to asexual.

Is there a sexuality that just sticks its dick into crazy? Because that'd be the most interesting sexuality to hang out with.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Jul 11, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There's a whole spectrum of sexualities that were invented by teenager trying to come to terms with their budding sexuality not expressing itself as the hormone hurricane they've been taught to expect.

There's that but I wouldn't be shocked if there were also a lot of "I'm straight, cis, and sexually typical but I still want in on LGBT community spaces" types too.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Demisexual is basically slutshaming for sapiosexuals. :colbert:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Krispy Wafer posted:

We did that with Secret Hitler except the guy doing the deck made two Hitlers.

Nothing is made better with extra Hitlers.
Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › Idiots on Social Media: Nothing is made better with extra Hitlers.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

There's that but I wouldn't be shocked if there were also a lot of "I'm straight, cis, and sexually typical but I still want in on LGBT community spaces" types too.

Those types definitely do exist and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these crazy sexuality terms come from people like that wanting to attach themselves to something that makes them feel more unique when they're discovering themselves. I went to a college with a huge musical theater program and I've met a lot of guys and girls my freshman year who called themselves a vast array of terms that essentially boiled down to being straight or gay but not very interested in sex.

Honestly, I find it weird and annoying but it's a harmless way for some people to come to terms with themselves growing up. If you are in your mid 20's and still calling yourself omnisexual or whatever and insisting others refer to you as such, thats when it becomes too much. Sexuality is a spectrum but it's not as complicated as many make it out to be.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

CaptainCrunch posted:

Late but, a Dormmamohel?

criminy

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
https://www.facebook.com/sarahpalin/photos/a.10152406056643588.1073741865.24718773587/10156554923683588/?type=3

Context: Sarah Palin got tricked by Sasha Baron Cohen and appeared on a show of his and she is not happy, haha

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
https://twitter.com/Weabu23/status/1016471025545072640
https://twitter.com/Weabu23/status/1016676760082108418
https://twitter.com/Weabu23/status/1016696812068134912

Context: Skye is voice actor in a video game

Idiots on Social Media: Healthy for a child, free show for a man

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
"The left needs to be more civil"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Thanks, I hate it

https://mobile.twitter.com/rachelmillman/status/1016893904082358272

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

Late but, a Dormmamohel?

Also wanted to share how good this was. I feel it was passed over

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/skyedevabennett/status/1016692992751624192

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Idiots on Social Media: brest's sexualazing

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Postal Parcel posted:

https://www.facebook.com/sarahpalin/photos/a.10152406056643588.1073741865.24718773587/10156554923683588/?type=3

Context: Sarah Palin got tricked by Sasha Baron Cohen and appeared on a show of his and she is not happy, haha

I hope it turns out it wasn't Cohen, and Palin was just a dick to a vet for no reason.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

china bot posted:

Idiots on Social Media: brest's sexualazing

Beverly Hills Cop did have some problematic scenes.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

tokomon posted:

I am cursed to see reposts from that group regularly from a family member who loooves that poo poo.
I hate facebook.
If you don't want to passive-aggressively pretend to be a communist at them, just unfollow them. Hell, unfriend them and if they ask why tell then you have too much respect to associate with someone who thinks so poorly of you. Report back how they respond tia

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

"Healthy for a child, free show for a man" is the kind of slogan that would make me breastfeed exclusively in dark closets. Euuuggghhhhh.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

how the gently caress does a dude even sexually enjoy watching a woman breastfeed

I mean maybe I'm the weird one here but having a baby in my field of view really puts a damper on the ol' boner

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Trig Discipline posted:

I don't think it's even limited to media. People see their clothes, their car, the size of their house, the restaurants they eat at, and everything else they buy as some sort of personality-defining trait. It's just this sort of weird, slightly creepy backdrop to a culture driven by consumption. It's actually a little more defensible now that the internet has enabled the long tail of distribution to proliferate a bit (i.e., increased marketing of low-volume culture to niche markets), but still it would be nice if we evaluated people more by what they produce and less by what they consume.

But even if what they produce is worthwhile how does the internal landscape of the person get defined by purchases. Is there anywhere that people have written about this>?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

how the gently caress does a dude even sexually enjoy watching a woman breastfeed

I mean maybe I'm the weird one here but having a baby in my field of view really puts a damper on the ol' boner

But see, you are probably a normal adult who doesn't like anime

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

World War Mammories posted:

Probably big fans of seikon no qwaser.

codo27 posted:

But see, you are probably a normal adult who doesn't like anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bath Tubs posted:

If you are in your mid 20's and still calling yourself omnisexual or whatever and insisting others refer to you as such, thats when it becomes too much. Sexuality is a spectrum but it's not as complicated as many make it out to be.
I see this poo poo all the time on OKCupid. Tons of people calling themselves sapiosexual or pansexual or whatever the gently caress and it's a great way to ID people who are likely to act like they're still in high school.