Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I would assume a flat infusement, but I don't know why you would use a dagger with base wield stats and no int/faith investment. What are your points going into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nonexistence posted:

Returning since this seems to be the souls game with the highest population. What is the recommended dagger for a character with base wield stats and no int/faith investment? Still chaos?

Why would you want to go Chaos with no Int/Faith? If you have no damage stats at all (SL1 character?) Raw would be your best bet

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm pretty fed up with Irithyll Dungeon. The jailers are extremely bullshit with their automatic HP drain and zero-windup stun-locking firebrand attack. On top of that, it's just another loving glorified sewer that lacks any of the spooky charm of the original Tower of Latria. Basically the Catacombs and Demon Ruins again with a slightly different tileset and even worse enemies. I've really enjoyed the entire game up to now (other than Demon Ruins, which just feels a bit tacked on) but once I stepped through that mist wall at the start of Irithyll, the game seems to have veered into self-parody. I literally laughed out loud when I was picking off all the jailers one by one from the adjacent room and they just kept coming like some kind of Dark Souls clown car. The only thing keeping me going is knowing that there are unopened shortcut doors that I will eventually be able to use to circumvent this absurd bullshit. Anyway back at it

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
The bottom floor with all the jailers is kinda bullshit but you can always sneak past them since they have somewhat predictable patrols. Otherwise I actually quite like the level.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Irithyll Dungeon is at least incredibly fun to invade in, for exactly the same reasons that it's miserable to play through, which is more than I can say for Smouldering Lake / Demon Ruins or Farron Keep.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

multijoe posted:

Why would you want to go Chaos with no Int/Faith? If you have no damage stats at all (SL1 character?) Raw would be your best bet

I'd think Fire or Deep would work better for crits (136 AR vs. 86 AR at +0).

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

lambskin posted:

The bottom floor with all the jailers is kinda bullshit but you can always sneak past them since they have somewhat predictable patrols. Otherwise I actually quite like the level.

I love to hate this room, because even if you're really good (or lucky, in my case), very often 2 or 3 will notice you at once and reduce your max health to literally 1 hp in a few seconds.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Irithyll Dungeon is at least incredibly fun to invade in, for exactly the same reasons that it's miserable to play through, which is more than I can say for Smouldering Lake / Demon Ruins or Farron Keep.

It's also incredibly fun to be invaded in. There's so much clutter in the prison areas would can blend into the environment seamlessly with a White Branch and ambush invaders as they comb the area for you.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Why is literally every chest in this game a Mimic? I'm not even kidding, I have no memories of opening any non-Mimic chests. They also have extremely lovely grab hitboxes. I've died multiple times from being behind them when they do their grab lunge and end up teleporting into their mouth for an instant death. How many Mimics are there in Dark Souls 1, like three?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Volte posted:

Why is literally every chest in this game a Mimic? I'm not even kidding, I have no memories of opening any non-Mimic chests. They also have extremely lovely grab hitboxes. I've died multiple times from being behind them when they do their grab lunge and end up teleporting into their mouth for an instant death. How many Mimics are there in Dark Souls 1, like three?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Volte posted:

The literal first chest in the game is a mimic. It’s practically self parody.

DS1 definitely has more than three mimics. There’s lightning spear guy in Sen’s, at least four in Anor Londo (two of them in the same room!) and at least one in Dukes. I’m probably forgetting some.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Volte posted:

Lloyds Talismans are a mimic hunter's best friend

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice

multijoe posted:

Lloyds Talismans are a mimic hunter's best friend

This is also the best way to farm symbols of avarice. I usually use the two right next to each other by Yhorm's boss room because you can nab both with one charm.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mimic chests breathe and the chain is pointing the wrong way from regular chests. Once you know what to look for it’s pretty easy to not die to them. You can also say a joke out loud and see if they laugh.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can also say a joke out loud and see if they laugh.

I legit wish this was a mechanic in game. Even if they just reacted to your gestures (or one specific gesture) or something would be awesome.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mimic chests breathe and the chain is pointing the wrong way from regular chests. Once you know what to look for it’s pretty easy to not die to them. You can also say a joke out loud and see if they laugh.
Yeah, the chain is a dead giveaway. It's not a matter of being tricked by them since there's almost zero chance of being tricked by a Mimic in a game where the majority of chests are Mimics. It's mainly an issue with Mimics being able to grab you with their lunge when you're behind them (I can't tell if it's an instantaneous 180 or if it's just a bad hitbox, but either way it's pretty bullshit for an insta-death move). Plus they have near-infinite poise and suck pretty bad as far as enemies go. Irithyll and the Profaned Capital are particularly lousy with them.

abraxas posted:

I legit wish this was a mechanic in game. Even if they just reacted to your gestures (or one specific gesture) or something would be awesome.
That's how they work in Nioh, which I thought was pretty cool.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I’ve been playing this again and gone for a strength build. I’m at 44 strength but have found myself stuck with a bastard sword. I like it but feel like I’ve become too reliant on it because I can get five swings out of it.

I feel like I’m wasting the opportunity to smash stuff with a giant club or Greatsword. Is there anything in particular I should look out for or give a try? I’m at the castle with the two firebreathing dragons on the drawbridge :argh:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Vordt’s great hammer is really good, though the fact that you can get it like 15 minutes into the game is part of that. Greataxe is good in this game, so is Yhorm’s machete. Heavy Astora greatsword is a good option for any strength build. The paired ultra greatswords from Ringed City aren’t as good as they used to be but are still extremely fun. Gael’s greatsword isn’t technically an ultra greatsword but it’s smashy af, unfortunately you will have beaten almost everything in the game by the time you get it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

abraxas posted:

The mimic equivilant in nioh is a doppleganger of you who pops out of specific chests, and then does an emote at you. If you use the same emote back at it it drops loot for you and vanishes, otherwise it attacks you. it's neat

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CordlessPen posted:

I love to hate this room, because even if you're really good (or lucky, in my case), very often 2 or 3 will notice you at once and reduce your max health to literally 1 hp in a few seconds.

Unless you have a dinky dagger (and maybe even then) the jailers are scrawny little shits who get flung over from any heavy attack, and they have an incredibly, incredibly slow poke as their only attack. If you stop getting spooked by the max HP loss they are not a threat when they are the only enemy, as is the case in that room. You can merrily waltz right up to them and kill them as long as you aren't getting flanked.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I thought it was pretty cool the way you can use the Mimic on the path between the Catacombs and Smouldering Lake to kill the big demon guarding the way, he was more effective against him than I was!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

That room is really cool because you can turn it into a burly brawl between the demon, the mimic, and the ten skeletons. I’ve always had a fondness for three way battles, I think they’re very underused type of gameplay so I was pleased to see that DS3 has an opportunity or two for it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

skasion posted:

That room is really cool because you can turn it into a burly brawl between the demon, the mimic, and the ten skeletons. I’ve always had a fondness for three way battles, I think they’re very underused type of gameplay so I was pleased to see that DS3 has an opportunity or two for it.

It's unfortunate that the demon scales so much better on ng+ that he absolutely demolishes the mimic and skellies so you have to fight him the old fashioned way

However the only real way to rank the souls games is by how good they are for fashion souls. In which case
BB>3>2>1

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

skasion posted:

The mimic fares pretty well against the demon, but I've never seen the skeletons take more than a single swing at it before being blown to hell (which, admittedly, isn't far at all), even if I run around waking them all up beforehand.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The skeletons can kill the demon but it doesent always happen. Hell ive seen only the upper ones kill the demons too once.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

galagazombie posted:

It's unfortunate that the demon scales so much better on ng+ that he absolutely demolishes the mimic and skellies so you have to fight him the old fashioned way

However the only real way to rank the souls games is by how good they are for fashion souls. In which case
BB>3>2>1

I just wish Dark Souls 3 had any green armor at all beyond the "vaguely aquamarine" Faraam set or various bronze things.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I just wish Dark Souls 3 had any colors at all beyond "one shade away from grey"

fixed for you

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Polo-Rican posted:

fixed for you

Yeah, fashion souls is kinda cool in Dark Souls 3 because armor can't be upgraded and you can mix and match almost anything to no great effect (except weight ratio), but you have to get pretty creative to not look like either some kind of knight in tatters or a person in a robe.

I guess Ringed City has that tube top...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There’s a lot of nice choices for armor, until you kill three enemies and you look like a blotchy mudman no matter what you’re wearing because they tried to do the thing bloodborne does with junk sticking to your outfit, except unlike bloodborne it looks bad

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Was that supposed to be ash or what?

That effect is so tacky and shoehorned in. When I noticed it for the first time, I remember getting a weird sense that oh dear this game isn't going to live up to my hype is it?

It did in some ways but it mostly didn't

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what you're talking about, it looks great

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Your Computer posted:

[blackface]

That's fuckin' racist, dude.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CordlessPen posted:

That's fuckin' racist, dude.

I don't know it reminds me more of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dllo85ZSUk&t=9s

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Was that supposed to be ash or what?

That effect is so tacky and shoehorned in. When I noticed it for the first time, I remember getting a weird sense that oh dear this game isn't going to live up to my hype is it?

It did in some ways but it mostly didn't

Generally it happens when you roll through actual mud / slime, although I think proccing bleed might also do it.

You can get rid of it by rolling through clean water, too.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your Computer posted:

This is really the perfect example because this is actually a heckin’ good looking armor set...until this happens

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Things are getting frustrating on my DEX build so I'm starting a new character to go to and back when I'm frustrated. I was thinking about an INT or STR/INT because I feel like I've never really used spells in any Souls game (I usually get just enough of one stat to get a weapon buff and that's it) and I'd really like to get the most out of elemental infusions. When I read up on tips though, a lot of people seem to think INT builds are pretty bad for PvE (my bread and butter), so I'm wondering if I should reevaluate while it's still early.

I'm considering a Pyro build, but that seems like a lot of stats (INT and FTH at the same time, plus I feel like pyromancies don't have the range of miracles or sorceries so I'd have to get some health as well, so I really can't afford an offensive stat on top of that). I've also taken a look at a FTH build, but miracles don't seem as good as sorceries and I can't see why a FTH build would be better than an INT build.

Any thoughts or tips?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Pyro counterbalances its stat demands by being really fuckin good and reaching full power a long time before either miracles or sorcery — just start with the fire gem gift and you have a weapon good enough for the early game (or you can snag the deep battle axe from Highwall), unlock Cornyx, and then rush down to Smoldering Lake for those pyro scrolls.

Sorcery isn’t so much bad as monotonous and underwhelming. You’ll be firing a lot of great heavy soul arrows.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pyromancy is great because you gain lots of fire & dark damage. Anything not weak to fire is weak to dark, and anything not weak to dark is weak to fire. You can also vomit boulders.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

Pyromancy is great because you gain lots of fire & dark damage. Anything not weak to fire is weak to dark, and anything not weak to dark is weak to fire. You can also vomit boulders.

The Demon Prince sends his regards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
#1 sign, found before the Nameless King fight:

Giant
but
hole ahead