Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Pissing me off today:
  • My manager just got signed off work for stress, which I sympathise with but it means a lot more work for our team because the company is not going to fill the gap
  • Some work I did for a client a month ago isn't working despite fully testing it before it went live. It took me a week to do it last time because I got no handover or training for the project (still haven't). Testing the process in production takes days and relies on two separate third parties.
  • My current projects are weeks behind and more than likely to miss their deadlines.
  • I'm currently looking for a new job but the only application I've had any movement on is for a job I don't really want
To clarify: I don't blame my manager for being taken off for stress - I completely understand and hope he gets the rest he needs. I blame the company for letting things get this bad despite multiple warning signs (hint: he's not the first manager to take time off for stress).

I feel that 'pissing me off' isn't quite right because at this point I'm so weary of this crap that I can't give a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

nexus6 posted:

Pissing me off today:
  • My manager just got signed off work for stress, which I sympathise with but it means a lot more work for our team because the company is not going to fill the gap
  • Some work I did for a client a month ago isn't working despite fully testing it before it went live. It took me a week to do it last time because I got no handover or training for the project (still haven't). Testing the process in production takes days and relies on two separate third parties.
  • My current projects are weeks behind and more than likely to miss their deadlines.
  • I'm currently looking for a new job but the only application I've had any movement on is for a job I don't really want
To clarify: I don't blame my manager for being taken off for stress - I completely understand and hope he gets the rest he needs. I blame the company for letting things get this bad despite multiple warning signs (hint: he's not the first manager to take time off for stress).

I feel that 'pissing me off' isn't quite right because at this point I'm so weary of this crap that I can't give a drat.

Keep looking you'll find something. You currently have a job, it's not a great job by the sound of it, but it also sounds like you aren't stressing over it just an unending pile of comical mistakes.

The company doesn't sound like they care about their employees at all and are more than happy to run them to burn out. Go into full gently caress it mode and do the bare minimum to keep your job. Don't work outside of hours (unless it's required). You need that time to find another job. If it's really stressing you out and you really give no fucks you can always play "How long until they fire / speak with me for not doing off hours stuff".

Everyone has been at a lovely job like this, you will find something, and everyone here want you to find a better job.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

pixaal posted:

Keep looking you'll find something. You currently have a job, it's not a great job by the sound of it, but it also sounds like you aren't stressing over it just an unending pile of comical mistakes.

The company doesn't sound like they care about their employees at all and are more than happy to run them to burn out. Go into full gently caress it mode and do the bare minimum to keep your job. Don't work outside of hours (unless it's required). You need that time to find another job. If it's really stressing you out and you really give no fucks you can always play "How long until they fire / speak with me for not doing off hours stuff".

Everyone has been at a lovely job like this, you will find something, and everyone here want you to find a better job.

Thanks. I was concerned about coming off as selfish but this job's really taken a lot out of me.

Another point I forgot to mention: I need to get in touch with a client who's dragging her heels on a project but the last time she called she yelled at me down the phone about a problem I hadn't worked on the hung up on me when I tried to help her :smith:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I hate having to come to HQ so much. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing my coworkers face to face, and the food in this city is great, but the new hotel I was forced to select this time is total poo poo. It's new, and they arranged some kind of deal, so it's so cheap you can't choose a different hotel due to business rules (it won't let you select one over $X more than the lowest rate available).

Who the gently caress sets up a room so there are ZERO outlets within reach of the bedside table, i.e. where everyone charges their loving phones? If I need to plug in my laptop, I need to sit in the horribly uncomfortable chair at the desk that is directly under the tv (which is mounted such that I can't plug in my firetv stick or and HDMI cable and cast to it, so I'm stuck with whatever's on cable), so the tv is like 6 inches from my face.

Add to that the usual cacophony of city noise, terrible pillows, no fans for white noise....I get zero sleep on these trips :smithicide:

On the plus side, this sprint we had 26 points planned, and pulled in another 5 on Monday. I currently have 17 points pending in code review, so I'm kind of killing it.

Completely unrelated to work: Whoever decided to make a cheesecake crust out of walnuts and not mention this war crime on the menu needs to be drawn and quartered. What the gently caress is wrong with this city if they think that's an acceptable thing to do to a cheesecake.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Who the gently caress sets up a room so there are ZERO outlets within reach of the bedside table, i.e. where everyone charges their loving phones? If I need to plug in my laptop, I need to sit in the horribly uncomfortable chair at the desk that is directly under the tv (which is mounted such that I can't plug in my firetv stick or and HDMI cable and cast to it, so I'm stuck with whatever's on cable), so the tv is like 6 inches from my face.

Maybe you could find an electronics store and buy an extension cable and a right-angled HDMI adaptor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Yea you should carry a surge protector or extension cord with your gear if you travel much.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Extension cord is a good idea but I can't find a store that carries one within reasonable walking distance (I have no car and am not taking a Lyft just to go hunt down a cable). Will pack one next time, but I'm screwed this week.

HDMI adapter not going to help, it's in this stupid wooden wall frame thing that blocks access to the entire sides and I can't reach behind it at all :(

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Completely unrelated to work: Whoever decided to make a cheesecake crust out of walnuts and not mention this war crime on the menu needs to be drawn and quartered. What the gently caress is wrong with this city if they think that's an acceptable thing to do to a cheesecake.

Walnut is also an allergy. I'm not sure it's illegal as in jail time, but it will sure lead to some lawsuits.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Will pack one next time, but I'm screwed this week.

You could just order one from Amazon and have it delivered to the hotel if you are going to be there an entire week. Not like the price will change, nor will it be hard to get onto a plane or however else you are getting home.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Monday morning I had a machine break and was told they were overnighting a replacement part. I had enough of a different substrate to keep the crew running until Tuesday afternoon so I moved on to other problems.

I followed up on that replacement part Tuesday morning and was told lol nope out of stock 3 weeks at least and immediately ordered more of the back up substrate, first pallet overnighted.

That loving pallet has been 'out for delivery' all goddamned day. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Still, irritated at dude who said we can overnight the first part and then did not report back when he found out that wasn't possible instead of waiting for me to follow up.

I also asked him if there were any other sources besides the original vendor for the part and he said he didn't have time to check on things like that.

Someone clearly isn't happy with the re-org.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

pixaal posted:

Walnut is also an allergy. I'm not sure it's illegal as in jail time, but it will sure lead to some lawsuits.

You could just order one from Amazon and have it delivered to the hotel if you are going to be there an entire week. Not like the price will change, nor will it be hard to get onto a plane or however else you are getting home.

That's very true, and I think they have a distribution center somewhat nearby. I also vaguely remember a website where you can hire people to buy random poo poo for you like uber for errands.

It's really dumb since the week is half over, but gently caress I'm bored waiting on people to review my code.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

Monday morning I had a machine break and was told they were overnighting a replacement part. I had enough of a different substrate to keep the crew running until Tuesday afternoon so I moved on to other problems.

I followed up on that replacement part Tuesday morning and was told lol nope out of stock 3 weeks at least and immediately ordered more of the back up substrate, first pallet overnighted.

That loving pallet has been 'out for delivery' all goddamned day. Oh well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Still, irritated at dude who said we can overnight the first part and then did not report back when he found out that wasn't possible instead of waiting for me to follow up.

I also asked him if there were any other sources besides the original vendor for the part and he said he didn't have time to check on things like that.

Someone clearly isn't happy with the re-org.

My shipment arrived at 1404 but was delivered to the front door instead of the dock around back where it was signed for by a secretary who told the driver without ever seeing the shipment
'just leave it in the lobby' :rolleyes: which the driver interpreted as 'drop off on the sidewalk out front'. :effort: Thanks a lot, Fedex, you jackasses.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Every month I export a report from one of our monitoring tools, spend 30 minutes fixing all the errors in the spreadsheet, clean up the formatting and then attach it to a report that will never be looked at. But if I don't, the admin assistant in charge of this report will never stop emailing me. I've been tempted to just reuse a previous month's report, but I know that will be the one that is looked at.

Also, gently caress Avaya and your nonsense loving system on getting phones to register. We are getting these new fancy phones because an acquisition just can't live without their loving video capable phones. So our voice guys are trying to upgrade the phone system to where these can be used, but the VAR isn't being as helpful as they should be, and Avaya just sucks. I think its a cert issue, but one of the phones connected and downloaded the new firmware just fine, but no others have.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Had lunch with a old coworker yesterday. Highlights include:

New engineer that joined a month before I left got the gently caress out a week after I left.

There is one last engineer left who is now in charge of integrating the 70% done project I left into our server application with no help from anybody else. The integration code was maybe 20% done when I left.

They stopped paying for slack, which has blocked all the previous logs and chats I have had that may have helped him.

They refuse to pay $2500 for a gitlab enterprise license which has expired and has blocked them from using the git server. There are no offsite backups and the CEO refuses to ask me for help.

The CEO is now starting to think that the company should just sell its enclosures and not it’s own products.

I never thought I could actually do that kind of damage to a company. :stare:

Edit: As a reminder, my initial leaving was because they refused to give me a $40,000 raise from 80 to 120 for doing full stack embedded Linux work.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

New engineer that joined a month before I left got the gently caress out a week after I left.

There is one last engineer left who is now in charge of integrating the 70% done project I left into our server application with no help from anybody else. The integration code was maybe 20% done when I left.

They stopped paying for slack, which has blocked all the previous logs and chats I have had that may have helped him.

They refuse to pay $2500 for a gitlab enterprise license which has expired and has blocked them from using the git server. There are no offsite backups and the CEO refuses to ask me for help.

The CEO is now starting to think that the company should just sell its enclosures and not it’s own products.

Edit: As a reminder, my initial leaving was because they refused to give me a $40,000 raise from 80 to 120 for doing full stack embedded Linux work.

Wait, wasn't there a consultant? What happened to the consultant?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

ratbert90 posted:

Schaaaaaadenfreude, gently caress you lady that's what stairs are for!

Oh man. So heartwarming. What a beautiful tale.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

Wait, wasn't there a consultant? What happened to the consultant?

Third party engineering company charged 200k for the initial consult. After that they said they wanted several more hundreds of grands, which the CEO refuses to pay.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

CitizenKain posted:

Every month I export a report from one of our monitoring tools, spend 30 minutes fixing all the errors in the spreadsheet, clean up the formatting and then attach it to a report that will never be looked at. But if I don't, the admin assistant in charge of this report will never stop emailing me. I've been tempted to just reuse a previous month's report, but I know that will be the one that is looked at.
Been there. :hf:

ratbert90 posted:

Third party engineering company charged 200k for the initial consult. After that they said they wanted several more hundreds of grands, which the CEO refuses to pay.
It's really small of me, but I'm so glad to hear stories like this.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
loving hell. The guy whose desk they stuck me at who was supposedly on vacation all week came back, so I'm sitting on a sofa right now.

If you want remote employees to come to HQ for no reason, at the very least there needs to be loving room for us so we can do our jobs. There's a giant swath of open space with nothing but this weird couch thing (that there's a hilarious gif of my boss tripping over)....you can totally put a cluster of 4-6 desks there and keep them in reserve for remote people visiting.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

No buses required to still get hit by the bus factor.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Org chart has a loop in it. What does that mean exactly.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I guess it's supposed to mean that those two equally manage the stacks below them? Or 60/40 each way?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Reporting to more than one person is awful

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

Org chart has a loop in it. What does that mean exactly.

You have to implement Spanning Title Protocol.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Director Cyclical Graph

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Can confirm

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

'Chief Information Officer' is mis-titled, he's 'Chief Intelligence Officer' and they have been putting him on 'AI projects'. Basically letting him coast for a few months until he finds something or they let him go. He used to be the VP. Speaking of the VP, we "aren't searching for anyone at this time", but it's TBD.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

poo poo, I've managed more people than that and wasn't a "chief" of anything

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Reporting to three or more is a good and clear sign to get out.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bob Morales posted:

'Chief Information Officer' is mis-titled, he's 'Chief Intelligence Officer' and they have been putting him on 'AI projects'. Basically letting him coast for a few months until he finds something or they let him go. He used to be the VP. Speaking of the VP, we "aren't searching for anyone at this time", but it's TBD.

Ah that explains it. I'm guessing you actually report to the director of finance, and the CIO was given a redundant position on the chart to make him feel important. It's a politics play to not show exactly how far he's fallen from the VP position.

In reality I'm guessing he belongs on a separate branch next to the IS Manager, reporting to the director of finance.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
can we have ONE loving MONTH where windows updates don't completely break something straight up or require you to throw out GPOs for registry settings to enable/disable poo poo so your things don't get entirely broken, like RDP last month and now DHCP failover this month?!?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4338814/windows-10-update-kb4338814

Known Issues posted:

After installing this update on a DHCP Failover Server, Enterprise clients may receive an invalid configuration when requesting a new IP address. This may result in loss of connectivity as systems fail to renew their leases.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Printer was 'catching on fire' so HP sends a tech out as it's only like 6 months old.

Guy that shows up was totally clueless. Sat there for an hour watching videos on how to take it apart. After 4 hours he leaves. Going to get some other tech to look at it I guess.

HP better be sending me a new/refurbished printer by the end of the day.

Day 3

He brought in reinforcements. Some other older dude is here putting it back together. Yelling at this dude for taking it apart too far, and 'forcing' stuff.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Day 3

He brought in reinforcements. Some other older dude is here putting it back together. Yelling at this dude for taking it apart too far, and 'forcing' stuff.

Have they given you a loaner in the mean time at least?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

pixaal posted:

Have they given you a loaner in the mean time at least?

I'm going to ask them to just give us a replacement if they can't get it back together

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Given the FORCED stuff, you might just want a replacement anyway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Spare a thought for someone who’s job is to supervise on-site printer repair techs.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

devmd01 posted:

can we have ONE loving MONTH where windows updates don't completely break something straight up or require you to throw out GPOs for registry settings to enable/disable poo poo so your things don't get entirely broken, like RDP last month and now DHCP failover this month?!?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4338814/windows-10-update-kb4338814
I got to explain to a VP why our IT department is not pushing out a fix to a problem caused by another update (because we're going to Win10 and they've frozen patches at this point).

It's a harmless bug that displays a threatening-looking dialog box if you open a Word file directly from a Web link, warning of a "Security error." C-level folks hyperventilate when they see stuff like that, but won't actually listen to workarounds or suggestions to use Chrome, or just right-click-fuckin-save-as.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Spare a thought for someone who’s job is to supervise on-site printer repair techs.

On the phone now with a third guy trying to figure out where the purple wire goes

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

On the phone now with a third guy trying to figure out where the purple wire goes

Tell them they have been around long enough and the bits of conversation you have overheard has removed all confidence in that printer even if they get it running again. (Stress the if).

Your goal is to get them to offer a refurbished one and take that garbage with them.

Double check your warranty but you are likely entitled to a refurb by now.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

code:

ACT ONE   

INT. PRINTER CONTROL ROOM

A sweating MacGruber stands over 
the assembled husk of an old HP printer
in his hand is a wirecutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
So those of you in Azure, what do you do about subscription management? We don't spend enough yet to warrant getting an enterprise agreement, but we have a few users with subscriptions all tied to the same dept credit card.

Is there any way for an admin to get an overview of all subscriptions, including managing alerts and invoices without having to be added as a co-admin or whatever on every single one? Is the only solution to setup these subs under a single account and share them out from there?