Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Rastor posted:

But that will never be politically feasible so gently caress it, go hog wild with solar and wind

If we are already having serious arguments about packing the court then nothing should be considered politically unfeasible. Writing off things that are good "but will never ever happen" is one of the things that led to Trump in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://twitter.com/adam_kels/status/1017064312882565120

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

He tried taking reasonable measures against bad stuff happening. The company didn't want to upgrade the plant because that was too expensive and didn't want to shut the plant down because then they'd lose money. Only after ten years of reports of leaks and contamination which were all ignored by the NRC, despite Vermont's delegation trying to get them to act, did the company finally admit that it was going to cost too much to clean up and start winding down the plant.

Can these plants be operated safely? Yes, but the cost to do so is more than the industry wants to bear, so they aren't. Perhaps after the revolution that can change, but right now the options are letting them operate without oversight or imposing effective oversight at which point nobody wants to fund building a compliant plant.

vermont yankee's above ground swimming pools tritium containment owned

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

youd think theyd be finally trying to pin point what the definition of "is" is

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Even for governments nuclear is getting pretty non-competitive with solar given the latter's continual price collapse. Plus since the whole global warming thing is fairly time-dependent it sure is nice to be able to put up shitloads of solar panels almost immediately as opposed to waiting for your nuclear plant to pass inspection in like 2035.

I'm not anti-nuclear or anything but the ultimate goon wet dream for whatever reason is to be able to click nuclear plants down on the map like in SimCity 2000, which won't happen for generations even if everything is nationalized.

Also dems are trash

the thing is that we will never be able to completely replace coal and natural gas using just solar and wind

we need nuclear too, and we need a lot of it. yes, even if it's more expensive. yes, even if the negative externalities would affect the people near the plant rather than the people near the solar panel factory. yes, it takes loving forever to build a nuclear plant...but that's why we should start building out nuclear now rather than waiting until it's genuinely urgent. also, that sort of unprofitable but crucial infrastructure development is the exact kind of thing that should be handled by the federal government rather than private industry

we also need a sane solution to nuclear waste. but that's a very solvable problem, it's just that there's no political will to solve it. imo, anyone who wants to get all NIMBY about nuclear waste storage should be given a choice between taking a bath in solar panel manufacturing waste or swimming across a coal slurry holding pool. if they do it and survive, then we can listen to their complaints about nuclear waste

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

To be fair in engineering circles there's a hell of a difference between "shall" and "may"

Of course in this case they are just being technocratic corporate tools

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/TheView/status/1016746493389094913

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

the thing is that we will never be able to completely replace coal and natural gas using just solar and wind

we need nuclear too, and we need a lot of it. yes, even if it's more expensive. yes, even if the negative externalities would affect the people near the plant rather than the people near the solar panel factory. yes, it takes loving forever to build a nuclear plant...but that's why we should start building out nuclear now rather than waiting until it's genuinely urgent. also, that sort of unprofitable but crucial infrastructure development is the exact kind of thing that should be handled by the federal government rather than private industry

we also need a sane solution to nuclear waste. but that's a very solvable problem, it's just that there's no political will to solve it. imo, anyone who wants to get all NIMBY about nuclear waste storage should be given a choice between taking a bath in solar panel manufacturing waste or swimming across a coal slurry holding pool. if they do it and survive, then we can listen to their complaints about nuclear waste

We probably can if we really want to, especially if we keep investing in things like batteries. Or at least it is a way lower bar to clear than nationalizing the energy industry and getting politicians to build nuclear plants in the face of probable local opposition.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

vermont yankee's above ground swimming pools tritium containment owned

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSrOXvoNLwg

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

If I jumped into that would I turn into Dr. Manhattan?

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Feldegast42 posted:

nah you'll come out like that dude in robocop.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Feldegast42 posted:

youll come out looking like ted cruz

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

There are no jokes about oxford commas. Only truth and lies.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Tell trump it's an pool of piss

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Feldegast42 posted:

no but you might get some cool cancers from the beta radiation

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
also, we should nationalize the hamptons and use that as the national nuclear waste dumping ground

also put anyone with a home there under house arrest

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Main Paineframe posted:

galaxy brain take incoming: nationalize power generation and put the military (navy) in charge.

less rah rah war poo poo (also running ships into things lmbo), more power

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nationalise Harvard, turn it into a gulag.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/hillaryclinton/status/631538115514007553?lang=en

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

:d2a: :d2a: :d2a:

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
regular brain: passing laws to nationalize things piecemeal which will take decades to get through the courts because of constitutional challenges

galaxy brain: nationalize everything under the control of the navy or post office to make them 100% constitutional

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Not even the first time this has been done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8od9__PeMs

Not even the second:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tLwHiq4ORA

Or the third:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz4LmMTTjQI

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo, depending on how far back you wanna go, you could even count Queen for a Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wswgwrIluzo

Or Strike it Rich:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEgbgRd7yHA

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

The SCOTUS problem is very simple: When Prez Bernie takes office he should just announce that the court has clearly overstepped its bounds and order the entire federal government to ignore any rulings coming from it until such a time that it's cleaned up its act, and then he should just dare any motherfucker to stop him.

Even an actual leftist president wouldn't have the guts to do this extremely necessary thing.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Just about everyone I know with student loan debt has more than what a sports car is worth. A corvette is only around $50k

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

galenanorth posted:

I meant to say that the study authors referenced by this page's Table 2, were examining the impact of immigration on wages, not whether wages declined during the period of immigration. I'm assuming the study authors, who looked at 1990+, took the possibility of a labor shortage into account. Your point still makes intuitive sense to me, though. Could you offer a citation?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PfgT0UgNRI&t=213s

richard wolff makes a point that the question is too complicated to make a summation of whether or not americans are worse or better off with immigrants

my main point is that you can't just simply look at just whether american wages or employment has remained the same w/ immigrants and decree immigrants have no negative effect. before the 1970s american compensation increased for 100 years with their productivity. after the 1970s, american compensation has completely flatlined. to herald american compensation staying the same as evidence that immigration has no negative impact is absurd. you could be a liberal economist and do the same thing with offshoring american labor and make the same absurd conclusions.

comedyblissoption has issued a correction as of 17:34 on Jul 11, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

Just about everyone I know with student loan debt has more than what a sports car is worth. A corvette is only around $50k

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Feldegast42 posted:

If we are already having serious arguments about packing the court then nothing should be considered politically unfeasible. Writing off things that are good "but will never ever happen" is one of the things that led to Trump in the first place.

The right wingers don't want it because the fossil fuels companies pay better than the nuclear industry
The centrists don't want it because they are coastal NIMBY elitists who consider coming out against it an easy win because it doesn't affect them personally
The leftists don't want it because Fukushima erased the last of any ecological bona fides it had and they're convinced we don't need it to go carbon neutral (they may be right about that)

I'm open to creative angles, I'm just openly admitting I can't think of any

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Heard this rear end in a top hat on NPR this morning and wouldn't you just know it, he can't see any legal grounds real or potential for a Trump impeachment and what do "violation of the Emolument Clause" or "collusion with foreign powers" really mean anyway, maaaaan?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1017079338385203206?s=19

It's happening

Edit: it's Sanchez of California.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Take Steny Hoyer with you

Also, lol that Joe Crowley's website has that wet fart "better deal" slogan right on the homepage https://crowley.house.gov/

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hm. she's calling for the top three House Democrats to retire

the fourth-ranking House Democrat is already gone

she's the fifth-ranking House Democrat

:thunk:

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
How many need to retire for Barbara Lee to take it by sheer succession?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm guessing Sanchez is still pretty suck for sitting that high up the depth chart.

If it pushes them all out, I'm still for it.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

inshfuckenallah

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I'm guessing Sanchez is still pretty suck for sitting that high up the depth chart.

Quick glance at 538's tracker has her in the bottom quintile for Trump votes: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/house/

The new Speaker really should be Barbara Lee though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
nansy pepsi retire binch

• Locked thread