Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Php, mysql and w3 schools are all trash and javascript is a necessary evil. You want to pick up something about asp.net mvc .net core, something about typescript, and something about react.

Node.js

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Question about storing stuff an app needs that should be kept secret. Currently I keep the relatively small number of things my python / Django app needs to use that should not be public (tokens, secret keys, db info / passwords) in environment variables. This works well since they don't change frequently and additions are rare.

However, that is going to change shortly. We work with a vendor who does SSO stuff for a lot of other organizations. So orgA, orgB, ... orgN all use vendorA for authentication, and we can log in users from all those orgs just fine by hitting vendorA's endpoint. To get user profile data beyond what the auth request gives, we need to hit a different API: one that will change for each org, and with a discreet auth token for each. So to get a user form orgA, we would have to request to orgA.vendorA.com and add Token: orgAsecretToken123 to the request. OrgB has their own url / token, etc.

Given that there are 500+ organizations, and we will need to bring many online at once, manually adding environment vars every time seems like it will suck. Our database is an Amazon RDS that is encrypted at rest, and can only be accessed by our EC2 instance. Would storing these tokens in the database be an awful idea? If so, what is a sane way to store these things like this that need to be updated semi-frequently, preferably without having to restart the app to pick up said changes (if that is possible.)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

baka kaba posted:

Helpful Info

This worked to handle what I needed. Thanks.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Lumpy posted:

Given that there are 500+ organizations, and we will need to bring many online at once, manually adding environment vars every time seems like it will suck. Our database is an Amazon RDS that is encrypted at rest, and can only be accessed by our EC2 instance. Would storing these tokens in the database be an awful idea? If so, what is a sane way to store these things like this that need to be updated semi-frequently, preferably without having to restart the app to pick up said changes (if that is possible.)

It's not awful, but depending on the level of damage a credential leak can lead to I might call it insufficient. Generally speaking, I try to not leave access tokens for anything in plaintext in my database. (As an example, when I create a session token and give it to a client, I store its hash rather than the token itself.)

If all the keys are under 4096 bytes, I would suggest encrypting them via AWS KMS and a key that is IAM-provisioned to the EC2 instance running your application. (If the keys are not under 4096 bytes, generate an encryption key using something reasonably secure like Miscreant, encrypt the secrets, and encrypt that key with KMS). This way a database compromise does not leak all your users' credentials, but rather the EC2 principal must also be suborned. In your case it is an incremental improvement, because the likely way to pwn you is your application, but a lesser-skilled attacker is going to have more trouble unspooling the encrypted contents--which then can be decrypted only upon use--than just somebody doing SELECT * on your database.

This is also effectively how Credstash and AWS Parameter Store work, should you need to do some more global secret protection down the line.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 5, 2018

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

you don't need to read a book for that, you just need to hit yourself with one.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Node.js feels significantly better when you're in a polyglot environment with polyglot devs, and you can actually factor its strengths and weaknesses into your decisions. It's hard to beat for proof of concepts and lightweight transform pipelines where JSON is the input and output, especially if the latter is for personal use only and you don't need to worry about whether node will be installed on servers/dev workstations.

That said, I'd be wary of working in a place where the servers are node.js, the clients are Electron, and JavaScript is the only way to get anything done. That type of work has always felt like a special circle of hell to me.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Php, mysql and w3 schools are all trash and javascript is a necessary evil. You want to pick up something about asp.net mvc .net core, something about typescript, and something about react.
]MySQL is fine and no worse than PostgreSQL or any other popular SQL implementation.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 6, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What dues that have to do with node.js, though?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Thermopyle posted:

What dues that have to do with node.js, though?

You could connect to either with Node.js! Then again, have you heard the Good News of mongodb my friend?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Khorne posted:

]MySQL is fine and no worse than PostgreSQL or any other popular SQL implementation.

mysql is ok if someone else is developing the database - it's pretty stable once you get it to work. it's brain cancer if you actually have to develop for it, it literally exists to make oracle (which is the devil) look good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

mysql is ok if someone else is developing the database - it's pretty stable once you get it to work. it's brain cancer if you actually have to develop for it, it literally exists to make oracle (which is the devil) look good.

What exactly do you mean by developing for mysql? Modifying the implementation? Setting up a DB? Using the client? I assume you don't mean poo poo like writing queries.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What exactly do you mean by developing for mysql? Modifying the implementation? Setting up a DB? Using the client? I assume you don't mean poo poo like writing queries.

Mysql is really idiosyncratic out of the box (e.g stuff like https://codeascraft.com/2013/03/19/the-perils-of-sql_mode/). Historically it was missing a lot of features as well (e.g. It didn't handle nested sub-selects, didn't support data partitioning, didn't offer multiple transaction isolation levels, didn't support triggers or stored procedures.) Before innodb, it wasn't even acid compliant. Releases were pushed out with serious issues that caused data corruption (e.g. https://planet.mysql.com/entry/?id=16232). I've run into problems like building indexes crashing mysql, data types getting converted implicitly for weird reasons, and other weird poo poo. Like it might have gotten better in the past few years, but I've used ~seven different types of relational databases commercially, and I'd rank it as maybe second worst.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

didn't support triggers

:allears: one of my colleagues was griping the other day about how you have to be some kind of OS superuser to make a trigger and how bad that design is. I told him characterizing MySQL as 'designed' was being far too charitable.

quote:

I'd rank it as maybe second worst.

OK hold on what's worse?!

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

:allears: one of my colleagues was griping the other day about how you have to be some kind of OS superuser to make a trigger and how bad that design is. I told him characterizing MySQL as 'designed' was being far too charitable.

OK hold on what's worse?!

MSAccess.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Running over the ODBC-JDBC bridge.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Ah, I don't tend to think of it as a database but I guess technically it is, yeah

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
And what is the best and is it IBM Informix?

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

lifg posted:

I was gonna guess that was the worst, except I forgot Access was a thing. Also, the place I used to work used to use MS ADAM as a database.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

lifg posted:

Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mysql is really idiosyncratic out of the box (e.g stuff like https://codeascraft.com/2013/03/19/the-perils-of-sql_mode/). Historically it was missing a lot of features as well (e.g. It didn't handle nested sub-selects, didn't support data partitioning, didn't offer multiple transaction isolation levels, didn't support triggers or stored procedures.) Before innodb, it wasn't even acid compliant. Releases were pushed out with serious issues that caused data corruption (e.g. https://planet.mysql.com/entry/?id=16232). I've run into problems like building indexes crashing mysql, data types getting converted implicitly for weird reasons, and other weird poo poo. Like it might have gotten better in the past few years, but I've used ~seven different types of relational databases commercially, and I'd rank it as maybe second worst.
MySQL <= 5.6 silently truncates inserts under some conditions with its default settings. And most people who used MySQL didn't know or expect that. The people setting it up usually don't know that, and the people who programmed for and used it certainly didn't know it on a lot of the projects I've worked on.

The only real "danger" of learning MySQL now is that you'll follow a really bad tutorial. Something like all of the MySQL tutorials pre-2008 were vulnerable to SQL injection or just did really dumb things. It seems like a large portion of people who uses databases, or any library really, just mash things together without taking the time to learn them or understand how they work. You'll also probably just find some tutorial that's pushing some ORM or bloated-magical-will-solve-that-you-are-a-bad-engineer-for-sure web framework rather than one that teaches you SQL itself while peppering in some MySQL specifics.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 11, 2018

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Khorne posted:

MySQL <= 5.6 silently truncates inserts under some conditions with its default settings. And most people who used MySQL didn't know or expect that. The people setting it up usually don't know that, and the people who programmed for and used it certainly didn't know it on a lot of the projects I've worked on.

The only real "danger" of learning MySQL now is that you'll follow a really bad tutorial. Something like all of the MySQL tutorials pre-2008 were vulnerable to SQL injection or just did really dumb things. It seems like a large portion of people who uses databases, or any library really, just mash things together without taking the time to learn them or understand how they work. You'll also probably just find some tutorial that's pushing some ORM or bloated-magical-will-solve-that-you-are-a-bad-engineer-for-sure web framework rather than one that teaches you SQL itself while peppering in some MySQL specifics.

Yeah, but you know, you could start by picking a tool that sucks less and has fewer pitfalls to begin with. Like, I don't really know why this is, when people spend a lot of time learning a product, they get stockholm syndrome, start justifying the bad behavior. It's partially caused by how people are educated in that they are conditioned to think that learning something is its own reward. Yeah, I could use mysql now, and even get it to work - but I would prefer to use database products that have not already wasted months of my life in the future. And gently caress this attitude of "oh, it's in the documentation - like for instance, with RabbitMQ, they decided to change the configuration file format from JSON to key value pairs, but the product comes with example config files in the old format (that don't work with the new format.) MongoDB mentioned in the documentation that on 32-bit OS, once your database reaches 2gb, it will silently fail and start stop storing new data without throwing any exceptions or logging any problems! I mean yeah, technically, both those things were totally mentioned in the documentation, but just documenting something that's a gently caress you doesn't mean it isn't still a gently caress you.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Yes but have you considered that it's the cheapest RDBMS option on AWS?!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

Yes but have you considered that it's the cheapest RDBMS option on AWS?!

Not only that, but MySQL is easy to get started with. At the end of the day 99.999% of the applications out there that use MySQL never hit those problems. Because they will never have that much amount of data. For them, LAMP was the best thing since slice bread. Sure, it is an awful stack, awful language, awful database, but hey, they did their thing, it worked (at least in demo), got their paycheck and went happily on their way.
10 years later they call you, the expert, to come and unfuck their poo poo since now they got a ton of records and the DB keeps missing data and the reports take 1 day to generate. But that's fine, since the peanuts they paid for that simple CRUD app was more than worth it and it probably save/made their company millions of $.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is MySQL easier to get started with than Postgres?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Yes when the only tutorial you've read only mentions MySQL. Odds are you don't even know PostgreSQL even exists. Maybe heard of Oracle, but that's it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You need better tutorials

e: or newer ones

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Nah. They're pretty much the same to get started with. Maybe Postgres is even slightly easier in some ways because it does what you 'expect' it to, but if you aren't familiar with relational databases or SQL you're probably going to thrash about equally in either.

Switching from one to the other is painless if all you are doing is learning. He was asking what to learn initially, and the answer is your experience will be about the same with either.

MySQL is used more in industry because innodb has some tangible performance benefits over postgres' engine in some real common use cases. Nerds love postgreSQL because it's more compliant, has more features, it's stricter and won't let you do bad things as much, and all that kinda stuff. For most people and businesses, just pick one. For most uses, their performance and feature sets are practically identical.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 11, 2018

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Fool posted:

You need better tutorials

e: or newer ones

We're talking here about the new graduate or that accountant that happens to know a bit of programming and that whipped together that little app for their company. We're talking about done on the cheap. Hell, you're lucky that they actually read a tutorial and didn't just dive in applying hearsay knowledge they had.

"Better tutorials" only applies to someone given the time and who has the interest to learn more. Usually is a miracle that whatever they make actually works.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

What about MariaDB?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just pick a random one from here IMO.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Where's the I'm Feeling Lucky button?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

peepsalot posted:

Where's the I'm Feeling Lucky button?
I’ll see what we can do.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 12, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I won't use BuntDB because they're missing an "l".

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Looks like a perfect opportunity to create a "real or not" game a la this.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Khorne posted:

MySQL is used more in industry because innodb has some tangible performance benefits over postgres' engine in some real common use cases. Nerds love postgreSQL because it's more compliant, has more features, it's stricter and won't let you do bad things as much, and all that kinda stuff. For most people and businesses, just pick one. For most uses, their performance and feature sets are practically identical.

Good post but also leaves out a key reason nerds don't like MySQL - Oracle tries their hardest to turn everything they touch into poo poo.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Khorne posted:

MySQL is used more in industry because innodb has some tangible performance benefits over postgres' engine in some real common use cases.

This may or may not be true, I do not know.

But, I do know industry and organizations and I'm willing to bet institutional inertia is just as much to blame as is someone sitting down and doing a detailed comparison and saying "you know what, for our use case, innodb has some important advantages".

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

redleader posted:

Looks like a perfect opportunity to create a "real or not" game a la this.
Oooh I really like this idea.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

MySQL's popularity has a lot to do with the LAMP stack, and that's popular at least a little bit cause it has a memorable acronym.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Thermopyle posted:

But, I do know industry and organizations and I'm willing to bet institutional inertia is just as much to blame as is someone sitting down and doing a detailed comparison and saying "you know what, for our use case, innodb has some important advantages".

On this subject - are there any good books/blog posts/whatever on the subject of inertia and affecting change, preferably with a focus on software development? It's honestly the most challenging thing in my career at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Khorne posted:

MySQL is used more in industry because innodb has some tangible performance benefits over postgres' engine in some real common use cases.

Does it maintain those advantages if you either turn off global dirty reads on MySQL or enable them on Postgress?