Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

simmyb posted:

Me every time time I print with black PLA instead of coloured:

"These parts look much stronger."

I'm literally a mechanical engineer :cripes:

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Do you guys keep your old gcodes on your printer's SD card, or just clear them off after use and re-slice the STL if you're printing something again in the future?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NeurosisHead posted:

Do you guys keep your old gcodes on your printer's SD card, or just clear them off after use and re-slice the STL if you're printing something again in the future?

I keep them on Octoprint's sd card but almost always end up re-slicing anyway. Who knows what the settings were when I sliced those, I'm not going to use them again, but I'm too lazy to click delete in octoprint.

I'm about to upgrade from a Pi 1B to a 3B and that will remove the cruft.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

NeurosisHead posted:

I’ve got a folder on my desktop machine and just upload them to octoprint when I want to reprint anything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I basically never print the same thing twice. There's always an improvement you can make!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thinking about getting a printer. Thing is I live with two furry idiots.

What're some options for catproofing?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Synthbuttrange posted:

My cat doesn't really pay attention to the printer, so this has been less of an issue than I'd expected it to be. I've had him wander in while printing and even started it up and manually drove the head around a bit while he was in the room with no reaction.

That said, enclosing your printer has advantages in heat retention and fume control, which are relevant to certain materials, aside from being able to keep curious furry idiots out, so there are definitely good reasons to think about it.

You can do anything from an upside down trash bin to building a custom enclosure.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh. Actually your mentioning fumes does remind me that I could put it in my washing machine cupboard which does have an extraction fan. Will have to figure out some where to put it that isnt on the washer itself. Or just live without printing when I'm doing washing? Hmm, cant imagine having it on a vibrating washer will be good for a printer even if it isnt printing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Why not put it on top of the dryer?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Thanks for the earlier troubleshooting help! After replacing the hotend I completely hosed up, taking care of a few adjustments, and tightening the extruder screw, successful print! Final issue seemed to be a mix of the bed not heating (I think the g-code just didn’t specify it: went in manually and did it), z-axis binding, and the aforementioned extruder issues.

Now to wire in my TL smoothers, re-level the bed, and start setting up an OctoPrint instance before printing things that make it function better.

Side note: it was really difficult to get the print off the bed, and there’s still some plastic on it. Any recommendations for removal? I think heating the bed, letting it soften, and scraping is easiest, but if there’s a better way, I’d love to know it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The metal Scotty Peeler (available on Amazon) is wonderful for getting print removal started.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Synthbuttrange posted:

I’ve got 4 cats and they don’t ever bother the printer but one of them has decided that PLA is the best kitty toy ever and digs into the trash can to steal scraps and then scatter them throughout the house.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

duffmensch posted:

I’ve got 4 cats and they don’t ever bother the printer but one of them has decided that PLA is the best kitty toy ever and digs into the trash can to steal scraps and then scatter them throughout the house.

Hey one of my little fuzzy jackasses does that too! I have one cat who is fascinated by the blinking LED for the heatbed, but otherwise they both have the same regard for the printer that they do the vacuum cleaner.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

My supports are really hard to remove. Is that normal? The bottoms come off fine but the tops take some serious effort to remove and leave these (difficult to photograph) lines that I have to sand off if I want it to look nice. I'm using Cura 3.3, are there any settings I can tweak to get the supports to be less hateful to remove? Or is that just how they are?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's just how they are. If you want support without any marks, you have to use something soluble -- and even then I can see a subtle difference in the layer geometry on the supported areas. Such is life.

For the record, ABS and PET sand much more nicely than PLA, if you're going to be printing parts that require a lot of finish work.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

My supports are really hard to remove. Is that normal? The bottoms come off fine but the tops take some serious effort to remove and leave these (difficult to photograph) lines that I have to sand off if I want it to look nice. I'm using Cura 3.3, are there any settings I can tweak to get the supports to be less hateful to remove? Or is that just how they are?

You could try the other support types like line and tree supports. Or run the models through meshmixer for their tree supports.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm thinking I want to set up Octoprint.
I have a few options to run it on I guess: an old RPi 1, an RPi 2, and there's probably an RPi 3 somewhere around here if I could find it.
Is there any advantage to more processing power of later ones or is it fine to stick to v1?
I'm thinking I'll try adding a USB camera while I'm at it if that makes any difference

Also one question about how Octoprint interfaces, does it store gcode on the RPi SD and stream it over USB during print, or can you load/run the prints off the printer's own SD?
I ask because I've had issues in the past of USB serial not being fast enough for high detail models, causing movement stutters.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Is there much of a difference between printing PLA and PET beside the higher hotend temperature? I'm printing stuff that needs a bit of finishing so a material that sands better sounds appealing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That Gobbo posted:

Is there much of a difference between printing PLA and PET beside the higher hotend temperature? I'm printing stuff that needs a bit of finishing so a material that sands better sounds appealing.

You need a heated bed. I use bare glass at 90C. It's a little bit drippier than PLA but otherwise printing it is very similar. I use the same speeds, layer heights, infills, etc. and haven't had any problems.

peepsalot posted:

I have a few options to run it on I guess: an old RPi 1, an RPi 2, and there's probably an RPi 3 somewhere around here if I could find it.
Is there any advantage to more processing power of later ones or is it fine to stick to v1?
I'm thinking I'll try adding a USB camera while I'm at it if that makes any difference

Also one question about how Octoprint interfaces, does it store gcode on the RPi SD and stream it over USB during print, or can you load/run the prints off the printer's own SD?
I ask because I've had issues in the past of USB serial not being fast enough for high detail models, causing movement stutters.

Our printers have Pi 2s in them and I haven't noticed any problems. The jump in performance from 1 to 2 was pretty significant though so I would probably stick with the 2. Definitely do that if you're planning on adding a camera. I haven't tried a 3 yet.

Re. print file location you can go either way. You can upload the file to the Pi's SD card and USB print from there, or you can upload through the web interface directly to the printer's SD card. It is noticeably slower to load to the printer's SD card, but that may or may not be an issue for you. I do question what sort of slicing settings you're using to get stuttering, though, as I've never had any problems with that on my machines even printing stuff like topographical maps.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Sagebrush posted:

Our printers have Pi 2s in them and I haven't noticed any problems. The jump in performance from 1 to 2 was pretty significant though so I would probably stick with the 2. Definitely do that if you're planning on adding a camera. I haven't tried a 3 yet.
Cool I'll try my Pi 2; been searching for my 3 but still hasn't surfaced yet.

Sagebrush posted:

Re. print file location you can go either way. You can upload the file to the Pi's SD card and USB print from there, or you can upload through the web interface directly to the printer's SD card. It is noticeably slower to load to the printer's SD card, but that may or may not be an issue for you. I do question what sort of slicing settings you're using to get stuttering, though, as I've never had any problems with that on my machines even printing stuff like topographical maps.
I haven't had stuttering issues like that in many years, but also haven't streamed prints over USB in the same time. I remember specifically having some issues with the yoda bust (back when this was a relatively new thing to print), which I remember being a very high detail model in a small volume (~50MB STL file IIRC).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you have that problem again, look at your slicer's minimum resolution settings. If the STL file is super-duper high res, the slicer might be generating millions of tiny line segments that, yes, technically are part of the model but which you'll never be able to see with the resolution of the molten plastic, so forcing the printer to try and make all those moves is just a waste. I think I have my slicer set to generate no line segments smaller than 0.2mm, which has drastically shrunk the gcode for some really complex parts while still having no noticeable effect on print resolution.

I mean maybe if you're using a .25mm nozzle and always printing at 0.05mm layers you might see some difference but in that case you probably know what you're doing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sagebrush posted:

I think I have my slicer set to generate no line segments smaller than 0.2mm, which has drastically shrunk the gcode for some really complex parts while still having no noticeable effect on print resolution.

For what it's worth, the default setting for this in Simplify3D (under the Advanced tab where the "single extrusions" behavior is defined) is 1.0mm and I've not noticed any print resolution issues on X/Y.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

peepsalot posted:

Pi 1 and Pi 0 are basically the same, just one is smaller and needs dongles for most PC-type accessories. They're fine for running Octoprint, but the Zero Ws stock WiFi is CPU heavy which causes performance issues when used with a camera.

Pi 2 and Pi 3 are similar, Pi 3 is clocked higher and adds WiFi/Bluetooth. Both will have no trouble running Octoprint in any normal situation.

Pi 3+ is a bit more clock and a new WiFi chip, again not much meaningful difference for this use case.

quote:

By default it streams, but it can send files to the printer's SD card too. I've never actually used that functionality so I have no idea how well it works.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Any other Prusa mk3 owners noticed extra noise when printing PETG? I'm guessing it's just the fan being run at an odd speed, but it's kind of weird that now it's making noise.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Yeah okay it's just the fan, never mind.

I tried a glue stick with PETG and holy poo poo it doesn't stick at ALL. And windex didn't take it all off so I had to hit it with denatured alcohol. Next print is going to stick like a BITCH.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 12, 2018

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
PET will bond like a motherfucker to your PEI surface on the flex steel print bed. Make sure to let it cool down to 30c or so before you try to pop it off. Some people wipe the printbed down with Windex before printing PET on it so that the "streak-free shine" additives will leave a layer of release agent on the PEI. I haven't found that to be necessary, but I'm also patient enough to wait 20 minutes for the print to cool before I gently caress with it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I just installed two Sunon blower fans, they turned out to be bigger than expected but even without ducts they are out performing anything previous

I I'm currently printing off some vanes/air directors but due to the large amount out cool air I think I just need to saturate the top vague area of the surface of the print

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Why the gently caress do you have Kapton tape wrapped around the hotend sock?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

biracial bear for uncut posted:

On of the corners has become oddly deformed and was half falling off with rapid jerks,I think I overtemped it of something, I'm waiting for a replacement. I figured it couldn't hurt and I didn't realise how much I love a silicone sock

Looking like a dumb tie fighter right now but I can hit 80° overhangs and you don't see the machine in the end result

Jestery fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 12, 2018

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Jestery posted:

I just installed two Sunon blower fans, they turned out to be bigger than expected but even without ducts they are out performing anything previous

I I'm currently printing off some vanes/air directors but due to the large amount out cool air I think I just need to saturate the top vague area of the surface of the print
Wouldn't one of the fans (the right one i think?) intake side be like 80% blocked in that config?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

For what it's worth, the default setting for this in Simplify3D (under the Advanced tab where the "single extrusions" behavior is defined) is 1.0mm and I've not noticed any print resolution issues on X/Y.
This isn't tucked away in Slic3r somewhere is it? When Simplify3D added it I was all YUSS because seriously it can save a lot of time if the printer doesn't have to zip around spewing <1mm bits of plastic into tiny spaces. I was thinking about making an OctoPrint plugin to decimate paths and their associated travel moves if the path is under a certain length but, you know, :effort:

This is a pretty aggressive way to ask a mundane question. Why does anyone put kapton tape on anything? To keep it from falling off! If you break one of the nubbies off it can shake loose while printing, and a quick wrap of kapton will snug it up for just a couple pennies.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 12, 2018

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

CapnBry posted:

This is a pretty aggressive way to ask a mundane question. Why does anyone put kapton tape on anything? To keep it from falling off! If you break one of the nubbies off it can shake loose while printing, and a quick wrap of kapton will snug it up for just a couple pennies.

I didn't have the motivation to make a meme out of it with Picard asking the question.

Also yes, why put Kapton tape on anything? It's literally a bandaid that people use instead of better solutions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why people use tape on thing

why tape exist when other thing exist

me angry

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sagebrush posted:

me angry

Except for the bit where the product it is being used on is specifically marketed as a replacement for Kapton tape/insulating fiber.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Except for the bit where the product it is being used on is specifically marketed as a replacement for Kapton tape/insulating fiber.

he said the silicone piece he has is falling apart and the tape is a temporary fix to hold it together

are you stupid or just an rear end in a top hat

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
gonna add some kapton to my hot end to honour my printer's reprap forefathers

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sagebrush posted:

he said the silicone piece he has is falling apart and the tape is a temporary fix to hold it together

are you stupid or just an rear end in a top hat

I'm not the one projecting.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

me angry

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

It's literally a bandaid that people use instead of better solutions.

Jestery is literally using it as a bandaid. What's the problem here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Man who owns 3D printer has Kapton tape close at hand, news at 11.