Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Orikaeshigitae posted:

Anyone know what the deal is with that one post it note in Pythea -

in one of the volunteer holding cells, and it just says ???? ????? 17:00

It's when they feed them to the typhon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
You know what the Prey shotgun needs?

A second barrel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

And there'll be multiplayer

quote:

And keep an eye out for future free updates. The next one drops in just a few weeks, and Mooncrash’s largest free offering – the Typhon Hunter multiplayer update – comes later this summer.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I"m a couple hours into Prey.

It's really good, guys.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

:hai:

I already really dug Arkane for the Dishonored games, but Prey was so good it's essentially guaranteed I'm buying whatever their next game is as soon as it is available.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Pretty bullshit that they only put hats on mimics after I finish the game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

spider wisdom posted:

It's really good, guys.

Post your experiences, I had fun writing down some of mine

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

When I was told to go to Psychotronics I went to the escape pod bay instead since it was unlocked for some reason. I was expecting a "Morgan wtf are you doing?" type message from someone but no one cared.

There was some crazy loving monster that was levitating possessed sentry turrets around itself that I think was supposed to be the warning to turn back, but I Q-beamed it and the rest of the zone was eerily quiet except for a few mimics. I think they expected that monster to be enough of a deterrent at that point of the game. I got a bunch of neuromods and weapon mods out of it which was cool. Play your way, motherfucker

This didn't yield as much as I was hoping for but it was 100% worth it just for the spectacle and the cheevo

edit: I like how the mimics seem to have different personalities; some will haul rear end away when you see them and keep running if you chase them, some will dash to cover and transform into something, some have no respect for you and will just transform in front of you, and some will just berserk into you. I think they're kind of cute and I imagine them being all "heh heh heh gonna get you gonna get you OH poo poo OH poo poo heh heh heh I'm so clever"

Rinkles posted:

And there'll be multiplayer

prop hunt with mimics or gtfo

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 10, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So the option to listen to your latest audio-log is completely busted, right? When I press L it is always, loving always, Dr Calvino's tape found in the Trauma centre.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

prop hunt with mimics or gtfo

It's exactly this, one player plays as Morgan and everyone else plays as mimics.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

spider wisdom posted:

It's really good, guys.

It’s amazing and I can’t believe I slept on it for so long

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So the option to listen to your latest audio-log is completely busted, right? When I press L it is always, loving always, Dr Calvino's tape found in the Trauma centre.

this happened to me on a newer run, but it didnt happen on a couple others. (for me, it wasnt calvino, it was that guy who forgot how to dock the cargo containers.) i dont know what causes the bug.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

WaltherFeng posted:

Post your experiences, I had fun writing down some of mine

In terms of overall feel, it's tough, partly because the world is so much more populated for lack of a better term vs. System Shock, which really nailed the "you're basically alone now and poo poo's hosed, good luck" vibe, despite finding bodies and audio logs around every corner. That enables me to be a little less afraid for some reason. Going toe-to-toe with phantoms is heavy business, though — I've just left the machine shop/Glass Darkly portion, so it's still early days. The Q-Beam is super fun.

I haven't really had mind-melting badass moments just yet (going outside with the suit was super tense though), but it's very tightly crafted and feels great. The Looking Glass multiple angle video stuff is neat, nice callback to old Prey's portals. I had some UI bugs initially at 1440p and controls needed some tweaks, but I wanna get back in there right now.

e: oh, one small detail. I forget to keep breathing at times.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 11, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

finally i've found a good answer to those god drat poltergeists! gloo grenades! apply directly to middle of room, and then kill the little fucker

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Typhon Lures should also work.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i tried twice and both times it just ignored the lure. bad luck? dunno.

gloo grenades are pretty great in general

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

arkane is the best

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If they really wanted to dent difficulty they’d make a loop decay item cost organic. You’re absolutely swimming in exotic by stage 2. I generally end a run with something like 60+ units of exotic but with the only fresh food on the moon base I’m lucky to get 10 organic even scouring the base for flower cuttings. Hell, you’d have to actually make a choice between crafting neuromods or time delays.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

If they really wanted to dent difficulty they’d make a loop decay item cost organic. You’re absolutely swimming in exotic by stage 2. I generally end a run with something like 60+ units of exotic but with the only fresh food on the moon base I’m lucky to get 10 organic even scouring the base for flower cuttings. Hell, you’d have to actually make a choice between crafting neuromods or time delays.

Yeah organics is often a bottleneck for me too, I just have tons of synthetic and mineral material for some reason

This isn't really a problem since neuromods stick around between runs but eh

I think loops should cost 2/2/2/2

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Okay, it looks like using the Director's objective tower zapper spits out 2000~ish bounty at Stage 2. Control modules cost 1k each, you need two to do a blast, and there's four-to-six of them free in the control tower's basement.

Your money woes are now over.

e: Okay, this is a little uneven. Seems like enemies in buildings and underground won't be zapped so you need to do a lap before heading up to hit the switch.

ee: Do it with the Engineer. She can repair the control mods for cheap and gets more bounty out of it.

eee: It isn't buildings, I'm a dumbass. It just affects the third of the crater you're looking at.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 11, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

spider wisdom posted:

In terms of overall feel, it's tough, partly because the world is so much more populated for lack of a better term vs. System Shock, which really nailed the "you're basically alone now and poo poo's hosed, good luck" vibe, despite finding bodies and audio logs around every corner. That enables me to be a little less afraid for some reason. Going toe-to-toe with phantoms is heavy business, though — I've just left the machine shop/Glass Darkly portion, so it's still early days. The Q-Beam is super fun.

I haven't really had mind-melting badass moments just yet (going outside with the suit was super tense though), but it's very tightly crafted and feels great. The Looking Glass multiple angle video stuff is neat, nice callback to old Prey's portals. I had some UI bugs initially at 1440p and controls needed some tweaks, but I wanna get back in there right now.

e: oh, one small detail. I forget to keep breathing at times.

You're right in what you said re the feeling of isolation. To add, SS2 also had way more body horror that was quite well done; I'm particularly susceptible to body horror and I'm sure a lot of other people find it discomfitting too. I suspect it might also be an age thing. I was 11 when I played SS2. The scene setting in SS2 also left you much more confused and alienated.

The antagonists in SS2 were much creepier, which made a big difference - the Many, Shodan and Xerxes were all scary in different ways. The Typhon aren't really characters in the same way. They also didn't corrupt people and make them behave in completely inhuman ways - sure some of the humans in Prey act pretty abysmally but such cases are more understandable and pedestrian kinds of evil than. Though I like what they did with many of the human villains in Prey for other reasons especially the Yus.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Neurosis posted:

You're right in what you said re the feeling of isolation. To add, SS2 also had way more body horror that was quite well done; I'm particularly susceptible to body horror and I'm sure a lot of other people find it discomfitting too. I suspect it might also be an age thing. I was 11 when I played SS2. The scene setting in SS2 also left you much more confused and alienated.

The antagonists in SS2 were much creepier, which made a big difference - the Many, Shodan and Xerxes were all scary in different ways. The Typhon aren't really characters in the same way. They also didn't corrupt people and make them behave in completely inhuman ways - sure some of the humans in Prey act pretty abysmally but such cases are more understandable and pedestrian kinds of evil than. Though I like what they did with many of the human villains in Prey for other reasons especially the Yus.

Well there are the Telepaths, which sort of do that. Especially in Mooncrash during the Volunteer's story mission, since you're basically being mindjacked the whole time in a more devious way than what the player is used to seeing

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Aside from the Volunteer (have not finished the DLC) the telepaths seem more like straight coercion, as opposed to the descent we see where infected characters in SS2 start off only slightly off and behave in increasingly monstrous ways. So it didn't seem as creepy when the mind controlled crew members zombie shuffled at you as, say, the doctor requesting young nurses be sent down who he then operates on so they can act as horrific cyborg nurse maids for worms.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Uhhh the SS2 mutant hybrids were definitely being body-controlled while conscious. That’s what made them so scary (that and the fact that they don’t make noise when moving). At least the telepath victims were discombobulated

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I started with Mooncrash. I dunno, I loved Prey, but this might not be for me. I enjoyed playing Prey very... slowly and meanderingly. No pressure to move forward except on my own decisions, kinda zen, wander around everywhere poking things from every angle, and when I do go forward, setting everything up perfectly.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 11, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I started with Mooncrash. I dunno, I loved Prey, but this might not be for me. I enjoyed playing Prey very... slowly and meanderingly. No pressure to move forward except on my own decisions, kinda zen, wander around everywhere poking things from every angle.

You just need to find the fabrication plan for the time loop item. Then you can basically do exactly that thing that you want, at any difficulty level that you want, and enemies won't respawn unless you decide to let the Corruption go a new level (except on Corruption 4+ since that's when Nightmares start appearing and they will respawn forever)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I started with Mooncrash. I dunno, I loved Prey, but this might not be for me. I enjoyed playing Prey very... slowly and meanderingly. No pressure to move forward except on my own decisions, kinda zen, wander around everywhere poking things from every angle, and when I do go forward, setting everything up perfectly.

I went back to my main game after finishing mooncrash and it's definitely a much better experience. Mooncrash is a weird experiment and props to arkane for trying something different but it's incoherent.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

I'm the same way, but I ended up loving the way Mooncrash lights a fire under your rear end. Give it a few good tries before you abandon it at least.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just did the final objective of Mooncrash, and apparently you're locked out of the sim and have to start over? That's uh... kind of weird for a roguelike. It's interesting but I was like *this* close to getting the last achievement; oh well

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just had a Voltaic Phantom kill itself by standing in an oil fire that it started :confused:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

I just had a Voltaic Phantom kill itself by standing in an oil fire that it started :confused:

that's nothing, i had a director kill herself by standing in an voltaic phantom she created :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I thought I'd been pretty thorough about exploration in my first Preythrough but holy poo poo I missed so much. New sidequests all over the place. I never even knew that Phantoms will creepily whisper random NPC dialogue to themselves.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

Uhhh the SS2 mutant hybrids were definitely being body-controlled while conscious. That’s what made them so scary (that and the fact that they don’t make noise when moving). At least the telepath victims were discombobulated

Yeah when I realized why the hybrids were moaning at me to run or to kill them I got a little freaked out. The cyborg midwives too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bogart posted:

Okay, it looks like using the Director's objective tower zapper spits out 2000~ish bounty at Stage 2. Control modules cost 1k each, you need two to do a blast, and there's four-to-six of them free in the control tower's basement.

Your money woes are now over.

e: Okay, this is a little uneven. Seems like enemies in buildings and underground won't be zapped so you need to do a lap before heading up to hit the switch.

ee: Do it with the Engineer. She can repair the control mods for cheap and gets more bounty out of it.

eee: It isn't buildings, I'm a dumbass. It just affects the third of the crater you're looking at.

You can easily zap two Harvesters in the crater for your modules. Find a tower with lots of Tentacle Nests or other Typhon lurking around it, then toss a Typhon Lure at it to pull the Moonshark over.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 11, 2018

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I really want to like this but I feel like I'm spending 90% of my time backtracking to a recycler/fabricator so I can make ammo. I like the exploration part but it feels like I'm constantly hitting walls where I need to kill something to proceed, but I have no ammo with which to do so, so I backtrack over a bunch of stuff I've done to gather some junk and find some machines and build some bullets. I might CE myself a bunch of shotgun shells or something. I get why ammo scarcity is a thing but in my experience so far it really just seems more annoying to deal with than a challenge. Sneak-attack wrenches should do more damage or something.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 11, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You need to make your ammo go further, not burn through more ammo.

On the top difficulty with no relevant upgrades, a phantom can be killed by sneaking up on it and charge attacking it with the wrench, waling on it while it’s knocked over, glooing or stun gunning it when it gets back up, and then finishing it with the wrench. It will cost 1 stun gun shot or less than 10 gloo to do this. An operator can be killed with 1 stun gun shot and some wrench whacks.

Enemies take a lot more damage when they’re stunned or glooed, and stealth attacks will multiply your first hit by 150% (up to 250% with upgrades). If you’re fighting something bigger than a mimic by just shooting it with the pistol or shotgun until it’s dead, you’re burning through way more resources than you need to. Later on in the game that works but early on you need to play smart.

Getting the firearms skill or the skills to let you upgrade weapons more will also get more value out of each bullet. I suggest picking up the first rank of these before too long

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 11, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

wyoak posted:

I really want to like this but I feel like I'm spending 90% of my time backtracking to a recycler/fabricator so I can make ammo. I like the exploration part but it feels like I'm constantly hitting walls where I need to kill something to proceed, but I have no ammo with which to do so, so I backtrack over a bunch of stuff I've done to gather some junk and find some machines and build some bullets. I might CE myself a bunch of shotgun shells or something. I get why ammo scarcity is a thing but in my experience so far it really just seems more annoying to deal with than a challenge. Sneak-attack wrenches should do more damage or something.
FYI, gloo'd/stunned/psychoshocked/(burning??) enemies all take bonus damage in addition to . Its one reason the stun gun is so good at all stages of the game, not only does it save you on health resources, it helps conserve ammo too. And murders operators/technopaths to boot. It wasn't until I was well past the Arboretum that I was regularly using anything but stungun ammo, and that's a pretty ammo-efficient weapon too. And early on, there are a lot of environmental weapons that are helpful too, especially explosive canisters.

One stun-gun shot should be enough to let you wrench a phantom down, and a solid thrown object can probably knock them down enough to let you do the same.

e: Also the shotgun is basically a much more damaging wrench in terms of effective range on it, so if you're trying to use it at anything other than melee range you're definitely wasting ammo.
e2: And I can't really think of a specific route that requires you to kill something. Maybe a Weaver in the GUTS shafts?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 11, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Try sneaking or finding another route.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Yeah I think I blew way too much ammo early on before I recognized the scarcity. At this point I generally don't use ammo (other than some Goo) on the base phantoms but I am still up a creek against telepaths and stuff. Maybe I should start over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

wyoak posted:

Yeah I think I blew way too much ammo early on before I recognized the scarcity. At this point I generally don't use ammo (other than some Goo) on the base phantoms but I am still up a creek against telepaths and stuff. Maybe I should start over

https://youtu.be/7TRdx2tbUFI