Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dairy Tariff posted:

nansy pepsi retire binch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Quick glance at 538's tracker has her in the bottom quintile for Trump votes: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/house/

The new Speaker really should be Barbara Lee though

From what the article said Lee was positioning herself as Crowley's replacement so she's preparing I think

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
wrap it up, superdelegailures

https://twitter.com/FHQ/status/1017098871061794817

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i have no idea what this means

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

anime was right posted:

i have no idea what this means

superdelegates can no longer vote on the first ballot at the convention

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/2018/06/third-way-third-way-plus-democrats.html

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Matt Zerella posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/MJB_SF/status/1017039984056864768

I seem to remember this lady. but she also strikes as generic white lady in the hashtag resistance crowd so I'm not sure.

She's your usual rich white #StillWithHer type, but the take I recall from her is one where she told people in small towns that if they weren't so bigoted they wouldn't be suffering economically iirc

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
essentially -

superdelegates are barred from participating in the selection of a presidential candidate except in the very rare (i.e. has never happened) scenario that there is a stalemate at the convention and no candidate is able to get 50%+1. they may also participate if one candidate wins over 59% of the pledged delegate vote (ensuring it is impossible for them to overturn it).

you need only a majority of pledged delegates to win, now - superdelegates are effectively eliminated except in a very extreme scenario.

a thing that's notable - in the event of a stalemate, all of the delegates are released. so although supers have influence in the second round, in the event of a 3 or 4 way fragmented convention they probably will never be decisive even if they vote as a bloc.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

We probably can if we really want to, especially if we keep investing in things like batteries. Or at least it is a way lower bar to clear than nationalizing the energy industry and getting politicians to build nuclear plants in the face of probable local opposition.

Not only do we need big advances in storage tech but also a massive and expensive overhaul of the grid nationwide to be able to handle more power from intermittent energy sources. There are no easy solutions and nuclear is probably the easiest if you just want to get more reliable and low-carbon generation online as fast as possible.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Joementum posted:

superdelegates can no longer vote on the first ballot at the convention

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/2018/06/third-way-third-way-plus-democrats.html

not perfect, but cool

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

SKULL.GIF posted:

The new Speaker really should be Barbara Lee hillary clinton though

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

anime was right posted:

not perfect, but cool

eh, seems fine to me. if the DNC want's to make some rich rear end in a top hat a SUPER DELEGATE cause it makes him feel important and more willing to be parted from his money, that's fine I guess, better than where we are now because they don't have any real power.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
cool. now can we make them secret so CNN and co can't report them during the primaries?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Matt Zerella posted:

cool. now can we make them secret so CNN and co can't report them during the primaries?

fine then a poo poo load of money if they tell a journalist who they're voting for before the convention or take away their vote for that convention

they do it more than once take away their status as a superdelegate

bing bong so simple

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Matt Zerella posted:

yeah that was the real problem all along -- the mainstream media tanking it hard for clinton by talking about how the delegates were already in the bag for her, and amplifying polls that showed her way in the lead

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Theris posted:

Is there any evidence that voters who would be inclined to vote for Manchin/Donnelly/etc but won't if they don't vote to confirm Trump's SC picks actually exist?

chuck schumer heard from his imaginary friends that they would

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1017020139278159872

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I can feel myself turning into the communist version of a Fox News dad, because I have a barely contained urge to scream "SHUT THE gently caress UP!" at these people every time they're on youtube or tv.

I was watching youtube on the internet tv when an advertisement for Prager U with David Rubin came on and I wanted to impale the television with the remote.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
someone's pulling a Lieberman

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1017106469244809216

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/FHQ/status/1016739031521079297

https://twitter.com/FHQ/status/1016749368232247298

the rules committee has unambiguously massively improved the primary process! good news, for once. and the remaining caucuses will likely be more open and easier to participate in

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Jul 11, 2018

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Coincidentally right after it was proven caucuses are better for insurgent candidates. :thunk:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Matt Zerella posted:

you can't really tell members of congress they can't publicly endorse a candidate

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Serf posted:

instead of packing the court, maybe we clear the court and staff it according to our liking

impeaching gorsuch wouldnt even be a hard sell since his taking the seat was a clear violation of the unwritten constitution that has kept the country from falling apart for 250 years

then impeach kavanaugh because he was appointed by an actual criminal

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Joementum posted:

you can't really tell members of congress they can't publicly endorse a candidate

at the very least they should be bound to how their state primary goes so you don't get garbage poo poo like Franken endorsing Hillary when his state went to Bernie. they can do what they want if it hits that rare scenario.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Nancy Floreen -- WHO IS NOT EVEN A DEMOCRAT --

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

impeaching gorsuch wouldnt even be a hard sell since his taking the seat was a clear violation of the unwritten constitution that has kept the country from falling apart for 250 years

then impeach kavanaugh because he was appointed by an actual criminal

It's pretty much guaranteed that anyone picked by Trump is mired in official corruption they could be impeached for.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Matt Zerella posted:

at the very least they should be bound to how their state primary goes so you don't get garbage poo poo like Franken endorsing Hillary when his state went to Bernie. they can do what they want if it hits that rare scenario.

well with the rules change they can endorse a candidate all they like but they won't be able to cast a vote at the convention. if the voters in their state don't like their endorsement, there's a remedy for that problem too. but it's clearly undemocratic to tell people they aren't allowed to express political support for candidates.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Joementum posted:

well with the rules change they can endorse a candidate all they like but they won't be able to cast a vote at the convention. if the voters in their state don't like their endorsement, there's a remedy for that problem too. but it's clearly undemocratic to tell people they aren't allowed to express political support for candidates.

endorse after the convention. until then the voters decide. not the people who get participation trophies.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/POLITICO_Steve/status/1017117303501213697

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
stache take my enerrgy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

who was it that kept posting saying that myers was better and are they still doing it after she said ice shouldnt be abolished and ironstache said it should

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

who was it that kept posting saying that myers was better and are they still doing it after she said ice shouldnt be abolished and ironstache said it should

That was WJ, and for a while that was all that was really wrong with her but the ICE thing is another

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

abolishing the kiddie koncentration kamps is too extreme. i say we reform them

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What does abolition even freaking mean?!?!?! TOO CONFUSING

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Shear Modulus posted:

abolishing the kiddie koncentration kamps is too extreme. i say we reform them

Reforming the kiddie koncentration kamps is too extreme, I say we consolidate them

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

yeah that was the real problem all along -- the mainstream media tanking it hard for clinton by talking about how the delegates were already in the bag for her, and amplifying polls that showed her way in the lead

This is right, but uh the ability of corporate media to manufacture consent is not caused by superdelegates but by the existence of corporate media.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shear Modulus posted:

It was me, I'm pretty sure I was the first person to post about the ICE thing, and I immediately switched positions over it

e:
lol she deleted the tweet

WhiskeyJuvenile has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Jul 11, 2018

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

This is right, but uh the ability of corporate media to manufacture consent is not caused by superdelegates but by the existence of corporate media.

Sure, but the whole "She's ahead by 300 before Iowa/New Hampshire and don't even bother showing up California" thing made it a lot easier

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2018/may/16/randy-bryce/randy-bryce-has-never-held-public-office-his-4th-r/ hah hah why do people trust sites like these?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

keepin it 1600!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2018/jul/06/alexandria-ocasio-cortez/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-misrepresents-ices-detent/

quote:

Ocasio-Cortez went on to say the fact that ICE operates under the Department of Homeland Security, rather than the Department of Justice, is problematic.

• Locked thread