Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

wyoak posted:

Yeah I think I blew way too much ammo early on before I recognized the scarcity. At this point I generally don't use ammo (other than some Goo) on the base phantoms but I am still up a creek against telepaths and stuff. Maybe I should start over

That's exactly what I did on my first playthrough. I gave up at around the Arboretum and started over. It was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

On one hand you do whatever it is you think you need to do to make the game more enjoyable but on the other hand you may just need to toss some recycler grenades into a room you've cleared out already and then collect the parts for some more shotgun ammo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Unless you are exploring super thoroughly and also managing to burn through all the items you find from doing that, I don't think you need to restart.

Before you move on from an area, check your map and see if there's any parts of the map you haven't visited yet. If you visit everywhere you can reach in a map (and you can often reach way more than you think you can via gloo/other cleverness) you will get way more supplies. There's a huge amount of stuff hidden through the game and you'll eventually be overflowing with EMP grenades, gloo ammo, pistol bullets and more that you can't even use if you clear the maps out. You'll get more neuromods and fabricator cubes from this too.

Technopaths/telepaths specifically--you always want to hit them with a shock attack or nullwave specifically. They pretty much become helpless if you do, and can be Q-beamed to death in that time. There are powers that can shock or nullwave them if you're low on inventory items to do the job

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Technopaths can be v. easily stunlocked to death with the disruptor pistol

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Kibayasu posted:

On one hand you do whatever it is you think you need to do to make the game more enjoyable but on the other hand you may just need to toss some recycler grenades into a room you've cleared out already and then collect the parts for some more shotgun ammo.

The pro tip is to create a mass grave of all the operators you murked in the hardware labs and light it up with recycler grenades

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Also yeah you’ll want to shock -paths and weavers if for no other reason than just nullwaving them usually causes them to flee and they get out of range pretty quick

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Maybe I’ve never been dedicated enough but making a recycle pyre never felt like it got me enough stuff to be worth the trouble.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's fun but you get a lot more just from recycling every duplicate weapon you find, maybe along with some medkits/psi hypos/other supplies you feel like you can spare.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

The crafting system in Prey is the most seamless, immersive, attractive, and just plain fun crafting system in all of gaming. It's perfectly integrated into the gameplay instead of being a distracting minigame you play inside a menu. Imho.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:yeah:

Sometimes I wish there was an option for fabricating multiple items at once, but it's never a huge issue.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

friendly 2 da void posted:

The crafting system in Prey is the most seamless, immersive, attractive, and just plain fun crafting system in all of gaming. It's perfectly integrated into the gameplay instead of being a distracting minigame you play inside a menu. Imho.

Pretty much all the mechanics are extremely intuitive. There are so many systems but they're all well designed and introduced in a way such that they make sense. Really great work on the designers' parts.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

It wasn't until I was well past the Arboretum that I was regularly using anything but stungun ammo, and that's a pretty ammo-efficient weapon too if it's upgraded.

Non-upgraded stun gun eats up a rather large amount of ammo.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Given that radiation is my job IRL I probably shouldn't have expected GLOO foam to shield me from radiation but I tried it anyway.

It is not troo that Yu can doo anything with GLOO :saddowns:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

Given that radiation is my job IRL I probably shouldn't have expected GLOO foam to shield me from radiation but I tried it anyway.

It is not troo that Yu can doo anything with GLOO :saddowns:

no but you can recycle radioactive cannisters. Go green, use the radioactive machine

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i don't see how compressing a canister of radioactive waste into tiny pellets and putting it in your pocket could possibly go wrong

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Prav posted:

i don't see how compressing a canister of radioactive waste into tiny pellets and putting it in your pocket could possibly go wrong

recyclers (and recycler grenades) are basically transmutation machines, so when you use one on radioactive waste it just converts any radioactive isotopes into nonradioactive isotopes

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Recycling canisters in Mooncrash doesn’t completely eliminate radioactive hazard but it does make them easier to sprint through.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
if recycling radioactive material removed the radioactivity it would actually be changing the nuclear structure, meaning there should be no distinction between organic, synthetic, and metallic components. exotic, who knows, maybe the typhon are made of unobtanium or something

it's magic, don't worry about it

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The secret is that no-one in prey is going to live long enough for the radiation to do it's work, so why worry?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if a transstar safety brochure says it's safe, it's probably safe. i certainly can't remember any cases of radiation poisoning recently

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

What the gently caress is this jape-rear end pod. What do I even do here? Please help, my Volunteer is dying.

Also can confirm, Transtar radiation is 100% quality

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

What the gently caress is this jape-rear end pod. What do I even do here? Please help, my Volunteer is dying.

congratulations, you are exactly halfway through the volunteer story mission's full list of gently caress-yous

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

This is my second attempt because the first time I defended myself from tentacles that were attacking me even though they were friendly and I was never told they were friendly.

This time I couldn't make anti-rad drugs because a shock Mimic was really interested in standing next to the replicator. I already burned through all the healing items I brought and found (because of "friendly" fire and lightning enemies) so I can't tank it :saddowns:

This is the last story mission I need to do before I try 5 escape runs and it's killing the mood.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I say this a lot but Typhon Lures.

Do you have Regen II, and/or the chipset that gives you elemental resistance?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

No. I'll bring them next attempt.

I say next attempt because the door to the real escape pod in the lab was card locked and guarded by a lightning phantom, and I almost died checking it. For some reason it didn't tell me who last used the card so I couldn't use the computer to find them. And then while looking for it, even though all the monsters were supposed to be friendly, an etheric mimic decided to unmimic and kill me anyway.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 12, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think that mission adds a bunch of enemies that are supposed to be friendly to you but all the stuff that already existed will still have a red health bar and try to kill you, so it’s safe to kill them. It only failed me if I hit something with a blue health bar.

It’s a terrible mission from start to finish though

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smith Comma John posted:

if recycling radioactive material removed the radioactivity it would actually be changing the nuclear structure, meaning there should be no distinction between organic, synthetic, and metallic components. exotic, who knows, maybe the typhon are made of unobtanium or something

it's magic, don't worry about it

It is changing the nuclear structure, but your conclusion doesn't follow from that. It converts a variety of input molecules and elements into just a few outputs

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
magic

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I didn't want to look at the Volunteer's mission again so I did my first try at a 5-escape run. I heard about cheese with buying a lot of Delays but I didn't have the blueprint and I didn't want to win that way in any case. Even so I came a hair's width from succeeding at level 3 corruption with a few looted delays still in my inventory.

I bought everyone a pistol, a bunch of ammo, a bunch of medkits, and a jetpack if they needed it (everyone but the Security Officer and whomever goes first). For no particular reason other than because it's thematic I wanted everyone to take their canonical exit route.

Custodian: Bought 2 control units and an escape pod chip. Grabbed jetpack, rushed to Crater security system to get information and fix the power. Crater security was flooded and electrified and I nearly died and had to use all my medkits because a double tap with the jetpack sent me into a wall (still not sure if the damage is a glitch or an impact). Power and transit was out in the mines so I went and popped the control units in to power it back up. The tunnel to the labs was collapsed so I had to go outdoors. There was a Telepath outside, but fighting them is fine because they drop Delays. The lab was was radioactive and I got a 100% dose from the round trick hacking the portal. The escape pod was in Crater and the trip back was uneventful.

Engineer: Hit level 2 corruption right at the start of the run. Fought another Telepath outside of the lab, fixed the portal, got a bad radiation dose because a poltergeist decided to grab at my gun when I was next to a bunch of hot barrels; cool. Took a tram to habitation, easy run to the shuttle.

Volunteer: Straight run to the lab, but for the first time I had trouble with the gates because it picked me up as a Typhon. Had to burrow under it. Straight run to portal except for the poltergeist harassing me - the couple thousand points I spent on supplies other than the jetpack was more or less a waste.

Director: Ran to the lab and fought yet another Telepath even though it was still level 2 corruption so there wouldn't have been any new spawns. Gate picked me up as a Typhon! Oh poo poo, I didn't have a plan for this. I tried to get in by mimicking a rock but it didn't fool the gate. I had an idea and ran back to Crater security, pulled the power from the mines (holding on to the modules) Without power all the Typhon gates are down and I hoped and prayed that I correctly remembered the mines having a doorless/gravliftless run to the tram station. The place was on fire so that was fun. Fought a Weaver on the way (fourth Delay) and got to the tram station. Slotted in the modules and took it to the Labs and had a straight run to the upload.

Security Officer: Brought radiation pills and extra shells. Had to go to Crater Security to put the power back. Pulled power out of the labs (good riddance to that place) and put it in the mines since I assume the mass driver needs it. Corruption ticked over to level 3 on the way to habitation. Fought a technopath in the lobby (fifth Delay) and looted food and water. Went to the tram station and found a sixth Delay sitting out in the open. Took the tram to the mines. Found a Delay blueprint in the mine tram security station :v:. Put the supplies in the mass driver supply container. Fell from walkway trying to dash through a flame jet and broke legs. crunch crunch crunch I didn't have a bone fix kit. The trauma station and replicators were blocked off with broken doors so I couldn't make one. Decided to go take my chance with the mass driver since I could still jetpack double tap to move fast. so I thought I should be able to make it even with broken legs. Found a gold chest with a seventh Delay. Found a bone fix blueprint in the mass driver area :allears:. Fought Weaver, got the eighth delay. Then on the way to the mass driver control room...

My power blinks out and my PC goes off :negative:. Even with all the faffing about it would have ended near the start of level 3 corruption with 3 delays left in my inventory.

It would have been a really good run.

edit: I'm going to do it again but without the mistakes

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 12, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Precisely

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

I didn't want to look at the Volunteer's mission again so I did my first try at a 5-escape run. I heard about cheese with buying a lot of Delays but I didn't have the blueprint and I didn't want to win that way in any case. Even so I came a hair's width from succeeding at level 3 corruption with a few looted delays still in my inventory.

I bought everyone a pistol, a bunch of ammo, a bunch of medkits, and a jetpack if they needed it (everyone but the Security Officer and whomever goes first). For no particular reason other than because it's thematic I wanted everyone to take their canonical exit route.

Custodian: Bought 2 control units and an escape pod chip. Grabbed jetpack, rushed to Crater security system to get information and fix the power. Crater security was flooded and electrified and I nearly died and had to use all my medkits because a double tap with the jetpack sent me into a wall (still not sure if the damage is a glitch or an impact). Power and transit was out in the mines so I went and popped the control units in to power it back up. The tunnel to the labs was collapsed so I had to go outdoors. There was a Telepath outside, but fighting them is fine because they drop Delays. The lab was was radioactive and I got a 100% dose from the round trick hacking the portal. The escape pod was in Crater and the trip back was uneventful.

Engineer: Hit level 2 corruption right at the start of the run. Fought another Telepath outside of the lab, fixed the portal, got a bad radiation dose because a poltergeist decided to grab at my gun when I was next to a bunch of hot barrels; cool. Took a tram to habitation, easy run to the shuttle.

Volunteer: Straight run to the lab, but for the first time I had trouble with the gates because it picked me up as a Typhon. Had to burrow under it. Straight run to portal except for the poltergeist harassing me - the couple thousand points I spent on supplies other than the jetpack was more or less a waste.

Director: Ran to the lab and fought yet another Telepath even though it was still level 2 corruption so there wouldn't have been any new spawns. Gate picked me up as a Typhon! Oh poo poo, I didn't have a plan for this. I tried to get in by mimicking a rock but it didn't fool the gate. I had an idea and ran back to Crater security, pulled the power from the mines (holding on to the modules) Without power all the Typhon gates are down and I hoped and prayed that I correctly remembered the mines having a doorless/gravliftless run to the tram station. The place was on fire so that was fun. Fought a Weaver on the way (fourth Delay) and got to the tram station. Slotted in the modules and took it to the Labs and had a straight run to the upload.

Security Officer: Brought radiation pills and extra shells. Had to go to Crater Security to put the power back. Pulled power out of the labs (good riddance to that place) and put it in the mines since I assume the mass driver needs it. Corruption ticked over to level 3 on the way to habitation. Fought a technopath in the lobby (fifth Delay) and looted food and water. Went to the tram station and found a sixth Delay sitting out in the open. Took the tram to the mines. Found a Delay blueprint in the mine tram security station :v:. Put the supplies in the mass driver supply container. Fell from walkway trying to dash through a flame jet and broke legs. crunch crunch crunch I didn't have a bone fix kit. The trauma station and replicators were blocked off with broken doors so I couldn't make one. Decided to go take my chance with the mass driver since I could still jetpack double tap to move fast. so I thought I should be able to make it even with broken legs. Found a gold chest with a seventh Delay. Found a bone fix blueprint in the mass driver area :allears:. Fought Weaver, got the eighth delay. Then on the way to the mass driver control room...

My power blinks out and my PC goes off :negative:. Even with all the faffing about it would have ended near the start of level 3 corruption with 3 delays left in my inventory.

It would have been a really good run.

edit: I'm going to do it again but without the mistakes

Your progress is saved though, isn't it? Won't you just be somewhere in moonworks when you launch the game again?

Also I think canonically only 4 of the characters escape; the volunteer gets his head blown up

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The game autosaves at load screens so you will pick back up in moonworks, the whole run isn't lost. Also the moonworks has two replicators, one by the door and one by the tram, just in case you ever run into a similar situation again. The tram one is also accessible via the window if the door is broken.

e:

QuarkJets posted:

Also I think canonically only 4 of the characters escape; the volunteer gets his head blown up
Yeah assuming the memories are canon this is true. Presumably nobody uses the portal because it's hosed and probably goes to the shoe dimension anyway, and nobody uses the shuttle because it's clearly still there. Custodian in pod is the only real escape and she may or may not have been blown up by Vijay. Oh and the consciousness transfer, if you count that as an escape. Maybe someone uses the mass driver, maybe not.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 12, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah I'm back just now from completing the run. The only differences is that i didn't break my legs and that I found an addition two (lol) delays in a bin on the wall next to the gold chest that had one. Maybe I'll try next time with no delays used at all. It's more fun when you're running around going oh poo poo oh poo poo this isn't how I planned it to go.

I hope Arkane or someone takes the concepts and gameplay and applies it to another setting in the future. I liked Prey a lot, but I think I actually enjoyed Mooncrash more because of all the times I'd round a corner or open a door and go "well gently caress what do I do now"

re: the Volunteer, I didn't know what really happens to him because his story is the only one I have left :argh:. I'm assuming shoe portal doesn't really end well for anyone involved.

It's weird how I had an easier time with my very first 5-escape run than either attempt at his story.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 13, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ahaha, re: Typhon gates, I never saw the notes that say you can zap the sensors with the stun gun to disable them. I'm proud of my workaround but in the future I'll change my shopping list a bit.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Ahaha, re: Typhon gates, I never saw the notes that say you can zap the sensors with the stun gun to disable them. I'm proud of my workaround but in the future I'll change my shopping list a bit.
Also one thing that may make it easier The companion Operator you get has an inventory that persists across characters so things like a really nice gun or tools or materials can be transferred across all of them. Of course, you can also not use it and just dump all of your stuff in a specific location and make a sprint for the chosen exit with the bare minimum gear you think you'll need to escape, which is what I did because I didn't know the above and thought that run was pretty exciting.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Huh, I didn't know that. I thought it was just bonus storage for one character so I never used it.

I did just fine without it but if I try to do more optimized runs I'll use it to save some simulator dollars between characters instead of buying weapons and ammo for everyone that can go unused.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Yeah the mule breaks the game a little. I had more fun before I realized the inventory carries over between characters. I had fun stashing things, or if in a hurry drop everything on the ground like a mad scientist piñata just got busted open for the next character to find, it was harder and better.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

BBQ Dave posted:

the inventory carries over between characters

Oh poo poo wtf

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, it really kills it for me that friendly voltaic or thermal phantoms kill you with their emissions. I want to love you, crackling sparking monstrosity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BBQ Dave posted:

Yeah the mule breaks the game a little. I had more fun before I realized the inventory carries over between characters. I had fun stashing things, or if in a hurry drop everything on the ground like a mad scientist piñata just got busted open for the next character to find, it was harder and better.

Yeah I just don't use it, besides I like finding a big pile of goodies on the floor