Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jiro posted:

Sooooooo what happened? Spoil please.

Bart Allen/Impulse is finally back! Now just crossing my fingers for Conner to come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

Bart Allen/Impulse is finally back! Now just crossing my fingers for Conner to come back.

Is Cassie around?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jiro posted:

Sooooooo what happened? Spoil please.

Endless Mike posted:

I guess G. Willow Wilson's Marvel exclusive is officially over because she's taking over Wonder Woman!

https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/status/1017093111514685440

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pubic works project posted:

Is Cassie around?

I thought so. But honestly I'm not sure. So if not then add that to the list as well. That means there's two more things I really want back. I thought it was just Bart and Conner missing. I really really really want Young Justice back. It's the team I have always liked most in DC.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

I thought so. But honestly I'm not sure. So if not then add that to the list as well. That means there's two more things I really want back. I thought it was just Bart and Conner missing. I really really really want Young Justice back. It's the team I have always liked most in DC.

Yeah I'm the same way. I'm not a huge fan of the Young Justice team. But I did like it when they were all Teen Titans during Johns' beginning run and I loving want that back....even if it's with Damian as Robin.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just want Tim to have friends again

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Teen Titans book (books) for the new imprint line might scratch an itch.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pubic works project posted:

Yeah I'm the same way. I'm not a huge fan of the Young Justice team. But I did like it when they were all Teen Titans during Johns' beginning run and I loving want that back....even if it's with Damian as Robin.

I disagree with the last part because...

Roth posted:

I just want Tim to have friends again

Tim is my favorite DC character and I want him to have all his buddies, but especially Conner, back.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

X-O posted:

I stopped reading Flash like real early into the run, but hearing the spoilers about today's issue really makes me want to pick it back up. That's something I've been waiting on for a while. Now there's really only one more missing piece of my favorite Pre-N52 stuff missing.

I'm with you. I had a huge smile on my face.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How is Detective Comics? I was enjoying it as the Bat-Team book, honestly because Cassandra, but I'm told it's started to fall off.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

How is Detective Comics? I was enjoying it as the Bat-Team book, honestly because Cassandra, but I'm told it's started to fall off.

I haven't really liked anything since Tynion left. Which is disappointing because it was probably my most consistently favorite DC Rebirth book. Now all three of my favorite books (Detective, Green Arrow, and Superman) have had writer changes that have left me really unimpressed and pretty close to dropping them.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Dawgstar posted:

The new arc seems decent, and it's got more Cass in it so far than a lot of Tynion's run. I'm not completely sold on the new villain, but it's pretty clear this whole thing is just a stealth pilot for a new Outsiders with Black Lightning, Duke, and Cass.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

I haven't really liked anything since Tynion left. Which is disappointing because it was probably my most consistently favorite DC Rebirth book. Now all three of my favorite books (Detective, Green Arrow, and Superman) have had writer changes that have left me really unimpressed and pretty close to dropping them.

Who's writing Green Arrow now?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Who's writing Green Arrow now?

Well after Percy left there was a couple issues by Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly which I enjoyed (they also wrote Joyride, one of my favorite books of the last few years) but the last couple have been Mairghread Scott and I have not enjoyed those at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Haven't read the last 21 replies, but I really liked Superman #1. Especially the conversation with Martian Manhunter with Supes constantly zipping away to take care of crazy Superman type biz.

edit:

Endless Mike posted:

I guess G. Willow Wilson's Marvel exclusive is officially over because she's taking over Wonder Woman!

https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/status/1017093111514685440

Booya!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

X-O posted:

I disagree with the last part because...

Tim is my favorite DC character and I want him to have all his buddies, but especially Conner, back.

Yeah you're right. I would rather have that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cary Nord is arting Wilson's Wonder Woman.

https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/status/1017122265605890048

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Wilson writing Wonder Woman is pretty tempting to bring me back to single issues instead of trade waiting. It's a really good pick, and probably the most exciting thing DC has announced in a while.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Teenage Fansub posted:

Haven't read the last 21 replies, but I really liked Superman #1. Especially the conversation with Martian Manhunter with Supes constantly zipping away to take care of crazy Superman type biz.

It was surprisingly topical, too. Why doesn't Superman stand up? We know why, he's not a tyrant and the status quo, but it would be a logical step for him, considering what he is.

I enjoyed tec, too, what are the odds. Though it's Black Lightning who I like and Cassandra who I love so I just hope it goes on.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
:f5h::shepface: G. WW on WW!! Now that's what I'm talking about! The gods have been good to us!

...Well...uh, actually no, because they still allowed Robinson's trash fire run to exist, but. Still. At least that's all over with now. Literally, because his last issue was today.

In case anyone is wondering what happened...the bestest favoritest newest character Jason is gonna purposefully go away with the Dark Gods, trapped in a zombielike cocoon, in order to...appease...them?...somehow?...so now he's just gone.

Now...this would of course ordinarily be the greatest news ever. Not quite as great as if he'd just been straight up killed and/or retconned from existence (I go back and forth on this. Retconning him would be brilliant, of course, but that would rob me of the pleasure of seeing him die in agony. Quite the dilemma!), but I wouldn't ordinarily fault any decision that takes this character far, far, far away from these books. Ordinarily.

The problem, of course, is that he could still come back. At any given moment I would be forced to just...see him again. Like I'm just minding my own business, doing my thing, then all of a sudden BAM! That fucker's back! Blhurhgrh. Now, I absolutely refuse to believe that Jason is anyone's favorite character, much less any writers', to the point that I don't even think Robinson likes him all that much. So, of course, that absolutely means that someone at DC is totally going to bring him back again someday, specifically in order to spite me personally, instead of just letting the world forget about him forever. Hrurhgunbg. To have that hanging over this book, this universe, is a truly cruel situation.

I pray that Wilson, at least, has a bit better sense than that. But who knows how much of it is even in her hands?

On another note...
I think Detective Comics has been fine...for now. Bryan Hill does seem interested in following up on the threads left from Tynion's run, though it also seems to mimic some of the less enjoyable elements of that run as well. Like...c'mon, are we seriously doing yet another loving super-powerful mysterious masked mastermind who...I hope you're all sitting down for this!...does not like Batman's methods?? :byodood:

That said, I do like seeing Black Lightning running around again after his recent show has been so good, and I think he's going to have some good rapport with Cassandra and with Duke, who'd been kind of a no-show in the Bat-books lately.

X-O posted:

I stopped reading Flash like real early into the run, but hearing the spoilers about today's issue really makes me want to pick it back up.
The ending was definitely a great reveal, but honestly the recent arcs have been super wordy and annoying to me. And all these multiple...Forces?...concept have turned into one rando unexplained MacGuffin after the other. What will happen if Wally or Barry or Hunter does X thing to Y Force at Z place? Who the gently caress knows! It could bring their families back! Or it could destroy time travel forever! Or it could turn everyone into horses! It literally follows no rules except whatever the balls rules that the writer wants it to follow! In this case it brought Bart back which, y'know, cool, but how did it do that!? Well, you see, it's because [speed force gif]

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hate-reading is a form of enjoyment. You are actually the biggest Robinson WW fan there is!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Neon Green Evanga-asskickers

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i neverl iked batman but decided to read dbatman year one and really liked it; but im confused about what to read next, can anyone tell me?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Empress Brosephine posted:

i neverl iked batman but decided to read dbatman year one and really liked it; but im confused about what to read next, can anyone tell me?

It's Frank Miller, so I'd go with either All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder or The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Follow it up with Long Halloween.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Long_Halloween

Or maybe Scott Snyder's Zero Year for the New 52 version of early Batman.

e: There were Year 2 and 3 follow-ups in the 80's but they're different creators and pretty unnecessary.

There's not much use in trying to follow a narrative timeline to read Batman, but Long Halloween just happens to be set around Y1 and also be good.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 12, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cary Nord on pencils holy poo poo. I'm double down for that book now.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Covok posted:

Neon Green Evanga-asskickers
Now see, this has been a stellar run of a comic. This issue even made me like the Guardians, which is inconceivable.

Hell, I'm half-tempted to say that if Venditti had put Jason in this comic, he might actually be a likable characthheeirhrahahaahahaha okay sorry sorry let's not go too overboard here.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Not having read Ms. Marvel is G. Willow Wilson good/cool or what? Everyone seems excited but I've only heard complaints about Ms Marvel (though I don't put much validity into the tastes of the complainants in this situation).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

nofather posted:

Not having read Ms. Marvel is G. Willow Wilson good/cool or what? Everyone seems excited but I've only heard complaints about Ms Marvel (though I don't put much validity into the tastes of the complainants in this situation).

G Willow Wilson on Ms. Marvel is why people like Ms Marvel.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

nofather posted:

I've only heard complaints about Ms Marvel

The current character? Where the heck do you read about comics?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Willows ms marvel is like one of two books that has been carrying marvel for the last few years

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

nofather posted:

Just curious what complaints you have heard because the only people complaining about Ms. Marvel are the ones who are complaining about a character being muslim and drat those SJWs from ruining comics. Seriously I have yet to see some legit criticism over the comic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ms Marvel is not really a comic I'm very interested in. I catch it time to time on Marvel Unlimited. It's very well written and has great art but I just don't care for much of the story it's telling. So while I'm not so much interested in the comic I think it's a great book for those that are into the story and characters, if that makes sense. And Wilson is really good at what she does. I can definitely imagine a certain contingent, and we all know who they are, that would have nothing but terrible things to say about it. From what I've seen there's been nothing but praise from more rational people so to speak.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Any complaints I have about ms. Marvel are from other writers loving up the character. I've no idea how good willow's ww will be. But I'd give it more of a chance than most

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Madkal posted:

Just curious what complaints you have heard because the only people complaining about Ms. Marvel are the ones who are complaining about a character being muslim and drat those SJWs from ruining comics. Seriously I have yet to see some legit criticism over the comic.

That's really it, mostly on rpg websites. Like I said I don't put much validity in the complaints (it's clear people think her writing Wonder Woman is good and that's good enough for me, even if I don't always agree with people here).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I have gotten bored with Ms Marvel, but it took, like, four years.

Covok
May 27, 2013

nofather posted:

That's really it, mostly on rpg websites. Like I said I don't put much validity in the complaints (it's clear people think her writing Wonder Woman is good and that's good enough for me, even if I don't always agree with people here).

RPG websites? Like websites where people discuss things like Apocalypse World and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and Star Wars by Fantasy Flight and Chuubo's Marvleous Wish Granting Engine? Oh, and also that little known game called Dungeons and Dragons? I would say I'm shocked, but considering D&D 5e had a special thanks to a) a guy who had his internet followers harass a trans woman into shutting down her competing (and superior) rpg business after outing her to the entire world as a trans woman before she even told her friends and family and b) a man who is convinced that "storygaming swine" are a force of hardened funhavers trying to break into every grognard's house and burn their AD&D books, I can't say I'm surprised they have a problem with the Muslim woman superhero.

Anyway, Ms Marvel is very cool. I'd give it a shot. It reminds me of early Spider-Man in a good way. It suffers from Marvel trying to push her in things. Like, I almost dropped the book when they forced her on the Avengers. But, Marvel has seemed to learn their lesson and let the solo series just be its own thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was following Ms Marvel through trades and kind of fell off around the time secret wars happened (which I thought would have been a great ending for the book in general).

I don't want to make it sound like Wilson cannot be criticized (personally I really didn't like Cairo) but Ms. Marvel is legit good and deserves the praise it gets.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

I have gotten bored with Ms Marvel, but it took, like, four years.

it was going through a rough patch for like a year or so after cw2 blew up the carol/kamala relationship and it spun its wheels on her having anxiety and torpedoing her super career twice but its finally coming back around the last few months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Covok posted:

RPG websites? Like websites where people discuss things like Apocalypse World and Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and Star Wars by Fantasy Flight and Chuubo's Marvleous Wish Granting Engine? Oh, and also that little known game called Dungeons and Dragons?

Like those, yes. Chronicles of Darkness, or their company, the Onyx Path. Successors to Vampire the Masquerade and such with things like Vampire the Requiem (in case others are reading and curious or whatever). And while the forums only had one comic book thread they were mostly monopolized by Marvel talk, especially with the movies blowing up, and complaints about whatever they thought was ruining their comics and why so and so couldn't be this color/gender/sexual orientation. I used to post on the DC boards but poo poo I don't know how long ago they were shut down. Around 52's release, maybe? A couple years ago some people at Gencon were posting things (here) about spoilers writers had told them about. I saw the price was low, threw some money at it, Gencon ended and I didn't come back until like two years later around Gencon. Then I saw they had a comic book section (and DC, this thread) and some other interests of mine. Comics are, for the most part, a personal hobby but one I really enjoy.

quote:

Anyway, Ms Marvel is very cool. I'd give it a shot. It reminds me of early Spider-Man in a good way. It suffers from Marvel trying to push her in things. Like, I almost dropped the book when they forced her on the Avengers. But, Marvel has seemed to learn their lesson and let the solo series just be its own thing.

Everyone is saying really nice things, I'll check out some of her books but she sounds like she'll be a great Wonder Woman writer. They've been lucky with those the past few years, I think, at least compared to the 00s.

Since we're on the topic of Marvels, they put out the first stills of the Shazam movie.

nofather fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 12, 2018