Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

the Something Awful Internet Forum is a form of social media

more like anti-social media :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Would it have been any better if it was just a few tweets without pics of her saying she saw these two people flirting and she thought it was cute

idk why I'm asking that, I guess I'm just curious if people find it creepy for the same reasons I do (the tons of pics and messages spying on them part) or if I'm the odd one out for thinking that if her only reaction was "my bf traded seats with another person and the other person started flirting with the new person they were sitting next to and it was cute and like a romcom" that it'd be a hell of a lot better and not weird

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It was weird but it didn't particularly stand out to me other than that chick loved taking lots of really unflattering pictures of herself.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

ugh for gently caress's sake finally beat the boss i was dying a ton against in hollow knight

i'm bad at these games

You beat it in the end tho, so you're good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea posted:

It was weird but it didn't particularly stand out to me other than that chick loved taking lots of really unflattering pictures of herself.

she made like a two dozen tweet thread out of a woman sitting next to a guy on a chair in front of her on a plane flight for an audience of thousands and continued it for like an hour straight

even discounting all that time that could have been spent playing mario odyssey instead, that's just really loving weird and not cool

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The rule of thumb should be that if you wouldn't tell a complete stranger a thing, don't put it on social media.

The whole story is pretty much evidence for people no longer having any clue what boundaries are.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Samuringa posted:

You beat it in the end tho, so you're good

Yup. Persistence > Skill

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cowcaster posted:

the Something Awful Internet Forum is a form of social media

we live in a society

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

she made like a two dozen tweet thread out of a woman sitting next to a guy on a chair in front of her on a plane flight for an audience of thousands and continued it for like an hour straight

even discounting all that time that could have been spent playing mario odyssey instead, that's just really loving weird and not cool
playing mario odyssey doesn't make you an influencer XD, hire me buzzfeed i'm real good at stalking people :mrgw:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

So is Fortnite the new Minecraft, in that it’s what all the eight-year olds play?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What was the buzzfeed tweet thing anyway, I guess she deleted it?

I know it went from "oh that's cute" with the first tweet about stuff to "ok seriously stop" when she was talking about how they found their profiles and were gonna keep an eye on them to see if they go out

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

So is Fortnite the new Minecraft, in that it’s what all the eight-year olds play?

It's also cannibalizing the older pubg crowd because the pubg devs keep adding increasingly desperate lootboxes and stuff to their game

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/Nikingply/status/1017113114104360961

wonder what's the price to have it engraved upon my soul

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

still disappointed she wasn't in god of war

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Phantasium posted:

still disappointed she wasn't in god of war
She'd just be an unwinnable boss fight because Kratos couldn't beat her.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

What was the buzzfeed tweet thing anyway, I guess she deleted it?

I know it went from "oh that's cute" with the first tweet about stuff to "ok seriously stop" when she was talking about how they found their profiles and were gonna keep an eye on them to see if they go out

It was a couple livetweeting the dialogue exchange between another couple they "setup" by switching plane seats. Then after going from sweet to stalkerish, when the woman in the couple that was setup stated she valued her privacy, the original couple put out tweets stating that their twitter followers should dox them. This was also after the woman used this whole twitter thing as a launch pad for begging for jobs from Buzzfeed.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Oh look I missed XC2 talk. The combat and customization are great. The environment and audio design are great for modern JRPG's and RPG's in general. It's especially good coming from XCX where the soundtrack had hits but the audio design as a whole was kind of a disaster. A lot of the side quests are pretty fun and cute, if not on the same level as XCX's. There's a silly "villain" character who is great in every scene he appears in and most of the main cast of heroes are pretty well-done and have pretty good VA. Most of the moment to moment writing is pretty good.

Now for the bad: the idea of people being literal weapons is weird and unsettling from the get-go and only gets weirder and more uncomfortable the further into the story you get. The character design is incredibly uneven due to so many artists involved, with some being really well-done and some being cheesecake to hold up the plot, with a fair bit of over-design to go around. The cheesecake mixed with the literal objectification of people makes for an especially unsettling combo. The gacha is so bad that almost every game update has done something to make it less of a pain in the rear end. For a long while after release, every time you collected a new weapon, you would have to spend a pretty long amount of time watching a non-skippable animation to find out what weapon it was. The game encourages you to get dozens if not hundreds of these. They eventually made the animations skippable but it kinda feels like they should have ditched the gacha altogether and tweaked that system. While the game looks great, especially on the frankly underpowered Switch, the way it does graphics streaming means there are a lot of times where you're walking around an area that hasn't quite generated yet and textures look like garbage for a while.

Still, easy to recommend for fans of the genre.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 11, 2018

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

The rule of thumb should be that if you wouldn't tell a complete stranger a thing, don't put it on social media.

The whole story is pretty much evidence for people no longer having any clue what boundaries are.

Yeah this. Whenever someone says "digital native" in my head it means "stupid teenager who doesn't understand privacy, shares their life on twitter and a dozen other 'social' media, and has no idea how they can gently caress themselves over by it".
People have lost any and all inhibitions when it comes to their online presence. Sometimes I feel there should be mandatory "social media ed" in schools kinda like sex ed but they show you shocking cases of identity theft, online stalking and bullying etc to make people aware of the traps of social media.

But who am I kidding, these idiots would get it anyway.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i want to play tales of vesperia

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FanaticalMilk posted:

It was a couple livetweeting the dialogue exchange between another couple they "setup" by switching plane seats. Then after going from sweet to stalkerish, when the woman in the couple that was setup stated she valued her privacy, the original couple put out tweets stating that their twitter followers should dox them. This was also after the woman used this whole twitter thing as a launch pad for begging for jobs from Buzzfeed.

I meant specifically what was the tweet where she was begging for buzzfeed jobs, the article that linked to it showed that the tweet was deleted so I was hoping someone had a pic of it or something

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Colonel posted:

i want to play tales of vesperia
I'm curious about how well it holds up. I just hope it doesn't become an FF12 Zodiac Age thing where I like the "new" additions but realize it was always kind of a bad game.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 11, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raxivace posted:

I'm curious about it well it holds up. I just hope it doesn't become an FF12 Zodiac Age thing where I like the "new" additions but realize it was always kind of a bad game.

i've played through symphonia and abyss within like the last year and the early 3d tales combat system is rough but it works if there's good character variety and chaining attacks feels good, and from all i've heard vesperia is the best one about that stuff. writing-wise it'll probably be decent otherwise, it's got fun characters and while it can't measure up to how insanely well-realized abyss is there's kind of almost no way it can be as bad as symphonia

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i actually recommend watching the tales of vesperia prequel movie cause it's a genuinely pretty good low-key fantasy adventure story that's just about yuri and flynn beating the poo poo out of each other and then teaming up to kill an evil guy who lives in the local library and a couple of side characters in it appear in the ps3 sidequests that definitive edition is including

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i liked vesperia when i played it (except for one part) but in retrospect you can see a lot of the executive decisions in re-tuning the story. i think it had a good balance between regular attacks and special attacks, and it has less "crazed babble" problems when compared to more modern tales games where every attack is a special attack that needs to be shouted whenever you cast it

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I feel like the plot of Vesperia kind of forgets what it's doing a few times throughout, but the characters are endearing and engaging enough to mostly carry it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

chumbler posted:

I feel like the plot of Vesperia kind of forgets what it's doing a few times throughout

yeah because of the executive meddling.

"fans won't like if you go too hard on such-and-such"
"fans won't like if yuri kills his boyfriend flynn"
etc.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
legit no matter what problems vesperia has, i'm inevitably going to enjoy it more than symphonia, the game where everyone's arc is handled by them bringing up a personal issue they have and then lloyd shouts "YOU SHOULD FIX THAT AGH DAMMIT" and then they say "no lloyd you're stupid and impulsive" and then in act 3 lloyd screams again and they say "wow lloyd you're right thank you you fixed my insecurities with your powerful voice"

i have a lot of beefs with tales of symphonia even though i enjoyed the core combat system because regal has a fun moveset

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I meant specifically what was the tweet where she was begging for buzzfeed jobs, the article that linked to it showed that the tweet was deleted so I was hoping someone had a pic of it or something

For some reason, imgur doesn't want to upload my images, but below is a Vox article with the tweets in question:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/7/11/17560406/plane-bae-girl-apology

I couldn't find the one where she implied her followers should dox the girl.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My two issues wit Vesperia are that they fail to go through with the character arc that they were building up to with hi and that the entire third act feels completely gutless.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FanaticalMilk posted:

For some reason, imgur doesn't want to upload my images, but below is a Vox article with the tweets in question:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/7/11/17560406/plane-bae-girl-apology

I couldn't find the one where she implied her followers should dox the girl.
I think that one was a live stream and not a tweet

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FanaticalMilk posted:

For some reason, imgur doesn't want to upload my images

if you're trying to paste from the clipboard you have to click New Post in the top now because imgur is working down some sort of nega-ui skill tree

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

The White Dragon posted:

i liked vesperia when i played it (except for one part) but in retrospect you can see a lot of the executive decisions in re-tuning the story. i think it had a good balance between regular attacks and special attacks, and it has less "crazed babble" problems when compared to more modern tales games where every attack is a special attack that needs to be shouted whenever you cast it

Alternatively, I'd like any button I hit at any point in a Tales game to cause someone to shout an anime attack.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
please don't stalk strangers online

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
back to stalking strangers offline then

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
please don't stalk strangers offline, either

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
please don't stalk anyone you know, while you're at it

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Freaking liberals won't let me stalk anyone these days.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Don't climb a beanstalk either, it's just a story

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm just going to say it, if you're a stalker: get out of here stalker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Raxivace posted:

I'm curious about how well it holds up. I just hope it doesn't become an FF12 Zodiac Age thing where I like the "new" additions but realize it was always kind of a bad game.

Vesperia will probably hold up alright. The combat was always a bit slow, but there are some good parts(and some terrible parts like missing sidequests forever if you aren't following a guide.)

• Locked thread