Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m glad I’m not alone. I’m not really a fan of Steel Panther even though I appreciate Satchel but yeah, they’re not hiding what they are. That prevents me from being angered over the title of a software setting. It’s just a goofy thing without any weight. Honestly the Steel Panther gimmick wouldn’t work or be amusing if society hadn’t come so far between now and the era of the bands they’re parodying.

I think this really just reflects society on a deeper level. Patriarchal dominance has led to male sexuality being cool and badass while women are shamed into feeling weird about even having sex organs unless they’re the target of the gaze. We need to fix that and let everyone be gross and horny equally.

Hey, I have the grossest and raunchiest pedal myself. I needed a Tubescreamer (with some mods) for my set up, so I contacted a pedal building buddy of mine and special ordered the "Makeherscreamer". I even used the phrase "penis enlarger for my guitar solos" as I ordered it, and followed up with "...in fact, just draw a giant erect cock on it". He topped the whole thing off with painting the cock fluorescent and giving it piercings that matched the placement of the leds.
:nws:https://imgur.com/a/XxmrT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kjetting posted:

Hey, I have the grossest and raunchiest pedal myself. I needed a Tubescreamer (with some mods) for my set up, so I contacted a pedal building buddy of mine and special ordered the "Makeherscreamer". I even used the phrase "penis enlarger for my guitar solos" as I ordered it, and followed up with "...in fact, just draw a giant erect cock on it". He topped the whole thing off with painting the cock fluorescent and giving it piercings that matched the placement of the leds.
Jesus loving Christ hahahahaha

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm torn between "this is loving awful," and "actually, that'd be a really useful combination live," and "goddamn this is really loving awful."

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OutOfPrint posted:

I'm torn between "this is loving awful," and "actually, that'd be a really useful combination live," and "goddamn this is really loving awful."

I'd honestly probably buy it if it weren't in an extremely inconvenient location. Maybe it'll still be up in a week.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

kjetting posted:

Holy poo poo lmao

I can’t hate it. I want to but I can’t. It’s too loving much. Too powerful.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

kjetting posted:

Hey, I have the grossest and raunchiest pedal myself.

this would probably go nice with a metasonix kv-100

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kjetting posted:

your pedal is raising awareness of peyronie's disease

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
i still desperately want The Turd but god drat $300 for literal foam poo poo

https://youtu.be/hpWbKnlrRvs

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Muppets On PCP posted:

your pedal is raising awareness of peyronie's disease

Why do you know this? I've never heard of it and thought your were making poo poo up but welp.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

s.i.r.e. posted:

Why do you know this? I've never heard of it and thought your were making poo poo up but welp.

Bill Clinton.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

*clicks thread ready for some stupid music action*

“bill clinton has a curved penis”

:discourse:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I thought for a second I had seen a Mara pedal. :yikes:

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Takes two steps forward, one to the side.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

fzA455 posted:

Poor Freckles, thought of amps and died.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

fzA455 posted:

I'm surprised the bottom spike wasn't a horse dick.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I’m glad it isn’t, otherwise Mike Pence might try to gently caress it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

s.i.r.e. posted:

Anything can be a horse dick if you use your imagination.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How about a Dan Savage signature She Comes First pedal?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

steel Panther just come off as the tedious kind of ironic misogyny where the depth of the joke is “lol look how gross we are come on it’s just a joke lighten up jeez”. It’s not smart enough with its characters to be Spinal Tap and the strength of their music falls apart without the gimmick too.

I think it’s intetesting to compare them directly to The Darkness since they both have similar shticks as tounge in cheek retro hard rock bands, but illustrates well the difference between “being camp” and “being a gimmick band”. The Darkness are ridiculous but sincere, SP are too detached, ironic and downright mean spirited to achieve campiness.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 13, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah there's a point where you start to question whether they're being ironically skeezy or just being skeezy

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I know bleeding heart, everyone gets a trophy and shouldn't we all be so sensitive is the current cultural zeitgeist, but this conversation truely is stupid music poo poo.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Im no steel panther fan but camp is one of the worst qualities in anything.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Shuh, you're telling me, sister.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
steel panther among other things suffers from a distinct lack of camp

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snowy posted:

what tHe FuuUccK

Southern Heel posted:

I know bleeding heart, everyone gets a trophy and shouldn't we all be so sensitive is the current cultural zeitgeist, but this conversation truely is stupid music poo poo.

you sound like my dad right now

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I can't hate on Steel Panther. It's so goddamn stupid and absolutely spot-on for 80s hair metal. Their shows are more like a raunchy variety show, poking fun at each other and hair metal stereotypes, interspersed with silly gross-out songs about octogenarian gang bangs.

Don't read too much into it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

Buddy, are you implying that the works of David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Queen, Judas Priest, Manowar, Rob Zombie and countless others are somehow of lesser quality because of the theatrics, overly-stylish displays, playfulness and/or, more often than not, a larger-than-life personality? :crossarms:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

John Waters camp: good

Steel Panther anything: bad

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If the camp can be traced to queer culture it’s usually loving awesome

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
not to be all susan sontag here but

manowar = camp

steel panther = not camp

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, so from what I've understood these Steel Panther guys are kinda like The Darkness, but instead of being 70's-early 80's cock rock, they're all glam rock all the time? And they're not really camp? I'm gonna go listen to a couple of songs and see what's up.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nah they’re campy but it’s in a different way. I don’t know. You’ll understand it after a music video or two.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Camp gay: good
Camp straight: bad.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nah they’re campy but it’s in a different way. I don’t know. You’ll understand it after a music video or two.

they're not camp because they're trying to be funny

same reason zero hour is camp but airplane isn't despite being an almost word for word remake

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Things can be campy and intentionally funny though like But I’m a Cheerleader or as mentioned, The Darkness.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Wark Say posted:

Ok, so from what I've understood these Steel Panther guys are kinda like The Darkness, but instead of being 70's-early 80's cock rock, they're all glam rock all the time? And they're not really camp? I'm gonna go listen to a couple of songs and see what's up.

It's "comedy rock" but the joke got old after two songs so they basically rehash it ad nauseum. It made more sense and was marginally funnier when they were called Metal Shop and it was a side project of a Van Halen cover band, but the management owned the name and Steel Panther was the best 80s hair metal pastiche moniker they could come up with. They used to do weekly shows in LA and SD that interspersed 80s hair covers with their own material, which is only tolerable sandwiched in between "I Want Action" and "Round and Round". It's what happens when cover band guys get a shot at being taken as close to seriously as they'll ever get in their lives, so they try way too hard on what should have been a one-LP joke band.

I enjoyed their early stuff so I watched one of their official live videos. It started off marginally amusing, then tedious, then just tiresome. It's the kind of thing where you skip through the songs to hear the funny banter, then you realize that isn't funny either.

Comedy!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Satchel is really loving talented and funny though. I’ll always admit that.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Regarding Steel Panther, I use the yardstick for "is this actual parody/satire of something bad" of "can proponents of said bad thing enjoy, or be okay imitating the 'satire'? If so, it's not satire in any critical way".

People okay with 80's cock rock and all the issues baked into it have no problem enjoying Steel Panther. It doesn't challenge that viewpoint, or make them uncomfortable. Hell, I'm sure that's a significant part of the audience. So yeah, calling that satire or parody seems like a pretty weaksauce argument. My two cents at least.

Note: I also have a huge blind spot with not liking music-based humor, so I'm a bad judge here. I'm just a dour rear end in a top hat, but to me music humor mostly consists of taking a joke that can be told in ten seconds and stretching it to 3-5 minutes, or in the cases of bands, entire albums. The ones that get to the point in under a minute (stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVBJ0Y7ov5Q comes to mind) get the part about brevity being the soul of wit and are great.

Or maybe I've just spent too many karaoke nights with that person who won't stop singing five minute Tenacious D songs.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Deeply sorry to all of you for starting this discussion lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and