Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, if he ever masters shapeshifting he can remain immortal. The only issue is that none of his human friends and family will, so he gets the choice of watching his whole world age and die one person after another or joining them in death.

He can resurrect people with his tears, making them immortal in the process. I think he's alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Steven is as old as he feels.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Azza Bamboo posted:

If gems are all women, how does Yellow know to refer to Steven with male pronouns?

White diamond man confirmed :v
Gems would be aware of gender if not from humans than from animals from Earth and presumably other planets.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

All of rose's rose themed items are really funny and theatrical now that we know rose was a fake persona.
Rose wasn't a fake persona. Pink Diamond transitioned into Rose Quartz.

And like most of us, that tends to be a little performative at first, because it makes it easier for others to accept.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Pearl "I was supposed to make her happy"

I imagine Pink was being a stroppy kid when white just grabs her spare Pearl and asks her to keep Pink amused while the grown ups do serious work.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The good news: despite losing some popularity over the longest hiatus, the new episodes have attracted a lot of attention and have got many people talking about the show again!

The bad news: I fear Cartoon Network will gently caress this up somehow, I can practically smell an unannounced year long hiatus.

Edit:

Chart taken from here: https://bismuth.tumblr.com/post/175758331433/little-graphic-i-made-for-sug-showing-the

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Haven't they already been pretty specific about Pearl being bound to obey Pink and only Pink because she was made for her?

She's Pink Pearl, not White Pearl.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The good news: despite losing some popularity over the longest hiatus, the new episodes have attracted a lot of attention and have got many people talking about the show again!

The bad news: I fear Cartoon Network will gently caress this up somehow, I can practically smell an unannounced year long hiatus.

Edit:

Chart taken from here: https://bismuth.tumblr.com/post/175758331433/little-graphic-i-made-for-sug-showing-the

Also from the same Tumblr:

The official captions show Yellow saying "this aura" not "his aura". So no, it looks like Steven didn't remotely convey his maleness to her after all.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Steven's aging is messed up. It can be accelerated but also seems to have ground to a halt. It's more likely that Steven dies tearing the gem out of himself, and then Pink/Rose comes out and cries about it, restoring Steven to life with extradimensional pink hair.

Steven has mentioned that he's thought about dying his hair pink more than once.

Rand Brittain posted:

Haven't they already been pretty specific about Pearl being bound to obey Pink and only Pink because she was made for her?

She's Pink Pearl, not White Pearl.

Wasn't she given to Pink, not explicitly made?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

nine-gear crow posted:

Also from the same Tumblr:

The official captions show Yellow saying "this aura" not "his aura". So no, it looks like Steven didn't remotely convey his maleness to her after all.

Realising it's "this aura" made me think of doing this

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Steven has mentioned that he's thought about dying his hair pink more than once.

Wasn't she given to Pink, not explicitly made?

She said she was given to her. That's all the info we have thus far. A deciphered picture of each gem's personal timeline says "Pink receives a new, more sensible Pearl", implying that an actual Pink Pearl existed and, just like everything else Pink wrought, was some kind of fuckup and the other Diamonds yanked her from Pink as quick as they could.

E:

Azza Bamboo posted:

Realising it's "this aura" made me think of doing this

I can't loving believe Becky Sucrose tricked Broadway Legend Patti LuPone into playing a JoJo...

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 12, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It feels like they cover amethysts eye more and more as the series goes on and that is such a weird design and by adventure time rules I predict that means she loses an eye by the end of the series (somehow)

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
She reformed hastily after being poofed in the first Jasper fight and now has a janky eye.

I don't think all the animators remember to put it in, and they maybe cover the eye to avoid having to use it?

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 12, 2018

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Edit:

The people have spoken, put Jasper and at least one of the Diamonds in every episode.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, what does happen after Steven dies? Does Rose just come back and be like “So, what did I miss? ...Why are you all looking at me like that?”

Steven dies and the gem just becomes inert?

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
It's been years but IIRC RS or Ian said (maybe even in this or an earlier thread back when Ian still posted) something along the lines of "Rose is gone, Steven dying won't bring her back" and I don't really expect them to change that. Even if I completely imagined that, whoever said Rose coming back would go against all the themes of the show is right.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
By anime logic when Steven dies he will become a skeleton with a gem in it and rest peacefully in a grave forever but be easily converted into an undead monster if he's disturbed.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Moatman posted:

It's been years but IIRC RS or Ian said (maybe even in this or an earlier thread back when Ian still posted) something along the lines of "Rose is gone, Steven dying won't bring her back" and I don't really expect them to change that. Even if I completely imagined that, whoever said Rose coming back would go against all the themes of the show is right.

Yeah, at one point I was thinking there may be a moment where Steven uses his dream powers or gets poofed, and winds up having a conversation with an echo of his mom in his gem. The way his gem lights up and opens the temple door without him trying, and the flashes of Pink Diamond’s memories kind of implied there was some little bit of her left in there.

But thematically, I think it works better if she’s just a memory, and Steven finds out about her from those that knew her and what she left behind.

Speaking of, I hope they deal with the chest in Lion’s mane eventually, and it’s not an Al Capone’s Vault situation. That and White Diamond are like the two remaining mysteries on the show.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

nine-gear crow posted:

She said she was given to her. That's all the info we have thus far. A deciphered picture of each gem's personal timeline says "Pink receives a new, more sensible Pearl", implying that an actual Pink Pearl existed and, just like everything else Pink wrought, was some kind of fuckup and the other Diamonds yanked her from Pink as quick as they could.

E:

I can't loving believe Becky Sucrose tricked Broadway Legend Patti LuPone into playing a JoJo...

I just realized that if there is a Pink Pearl still floating around out there, there's a 90% chance there's going to be an episode where she meets Steven and tries to serve on him hand and foot while Steven tries to deprogram her.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, it will never come up in the story because nobody will successfully "test" it by killing the main character of this positive-spirited cartoon, so it'll forever remain a mystery without an answer in-story. But if the question is bothering you, just go with "Steven dying would shatter the gem", even if only for the meta reason of "the possibility of Steven dying to bring back Rose ruins everything thematically so the writers probably have ruled it out."

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 12, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oh my god I've just realised. They will need to find a way to get the Diamonds back off earth - does this herald the return of UUU Space Travel?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ruby sometimes sneaks out of garnet to wrestle under the stage name RED CYCLONE!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This belongs in a museum.

I vote we put this in the OP.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Satchel and Trunk posted:

That’s cool, I was just giving them a chance to get to know each other.

And Im pretty sure Bismuth is already our bisexual unicorn.

Bismuth is going to get married though. And also I'm pretty sure Amethyst can turn into a unicorn, bisexuality unconfirmed. (for that matter, Pearl strikes me as a horse person)

And as for Steven's gem, while his dream-memories in various Gem facilities raise questions, I'm pretty sure that PD/RQ's gem was basically formatted to make room for him. (again, going with the running theme of Gems being basically solid-state computers to the point of being able to be plugged into devices as memory storage)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Azza Bamboo posted:

If gems are all women, how does Yellow know to refer to Steven with male pronouns?

White diamond man confirmed :v

Pretty shapely guy.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Say Nothing posted:

Pretty shapely guy.

White Diamond was Klaus Nomi all along.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
Steven grew up thinking of himself as a human, but he's a gem in a really uniquely weird configuration. If gems are something like AI's, then it looks like the Diamonds have admin-like override powers over other gems. Blue sends an overriding emotion to everyone's emotion processor, and only gems with really good coping strategies can get through it. Yellow sends her lightning, and the way those angled yellow lines spread - their form isn't being attacked, they're being deconstructed. The 'Corruption Song' thing resembles a malicious code injection.

We also know that when new gems pop out of the ground, they're fully formed and already carrying out orders. I think the Pink Diamond gem reformatted itself with the initial settings of a human baby, no orders, blank slate, just be lifey. Detailed down to a cellular level, made of local Earth molecules, processed by a womb made out of whatever gem bodies are. When Steven was knocked unconscious, he was fully awake and alert and looking at his body. I think that was him with his meat brain KO'd, and his Gem Consciousness functioning normally. If he dies, he'll almost definitely be able to re-form another Steven body, and it might be pinker.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Diamond Fusion when????

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
They do it by accident and the Crystal Gems get all sarcastic about it. "Oh, so it's OK when you do it..."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly kinda surprised people have such a hard time grasping the idea that Steven is probably just biologically immortal outside of violence, or his mental state making him age to death

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

All of rose's rose themed items are really funny and theatrical now that we know rose was a fake persona.

Yeah, they go from "regalia of a decorated general" to Batlaser, Batsword, Batgarden.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Test Pattern posted:

Yeah, they go from "regalia of a decorated general" to Batlaser, Batsword, Batgarden.

Introducing Lion, the lion wonder!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

So Math posted:

Introducing Lion, the wonder lion!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

RZApublican posted:

The people have spoken, put Jasper and at least one of the Diamonds in every episode.

There's already a diamond in every episode

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Say Nothing posted:

Pretty shapely guy.

It's mad how many planets they have.
I really do hope they explain what they make all these soldiers for. I mean....that's specifically what Pink says they're doing - making soldiers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly kinda surprised people have such a hard time grasping the idea that Steven is probably just biologically immortal outside of violence, or his mental state making him age to death

He does also seem to need food, water and air to sustain himself, notably contrasted with the revived Lars, who doesn't.

On pondering Homeworld heirarchy, I do wonder if the Gem types namedropped in What's The Use of Feeling Blue are particularly high-ranking ones, that the Diamonds would interact with directly often; Sapphires are noted to be rare aristocrats who are called on to personally advise the Diamonds during times of crisis, Agates are namedropped (and again in the trial, when Blue Zircon questions where the Agates serving Pink Diamonds were during her supposed assassination) and the one we see is in charge of a group of Quartzes, so they're likely field marshals/generals meant to keep soldiers in line through terror and strength, and Lapis is mentioned as a terraformer- given Lapis Lazuli is capable of controlling the entire ocean of a planet that's 2/3 water, and can travel to Homeworld and back on her own power, I imagine they're pretty rare and elite as utility gems go. (And given younger Gems have less powers and physical strength because of conserving resources, it's probably hard to produce new Lapises)

Also, I'm betting that a fusion of Lapis Lazuli and Peridot will be able to control earth/stone.

Also: Uncle Grandpa tells Steven to polish his gem once or twice a year. Guess what advice doesn't make sense for rose quartz but does for diamonds?

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 12, 2018

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

By anime logic when Steven dies he will become a skeleton with a gem in it and rest peacefully in a grave forever but be easily converted into an undead monster if he's disturbed.

No, he'll just become A Real Magic Skeleton and move to Lakewood Plaza.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Taear posted:

It's mad how many planets they have.
I really do hope they explain what they make all these soldiers for. I mean....that's specifically what Pink says they're doing - making soldiers.

There's one option that's a bit more benign than "There's a secret threat even more dangerous than Homeworld that they're building an army to fight": they need soldiers to clear out planets of life that may resist their terraforming procedures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

There's one option that's a bit more benign than "There's a secret threat even more dangerous than Homeworld that they're building an army to fight": they need soldiers to clear out planets of life that may resist their terraforming procedures.

If it does turn out that the Gem were created to combat an outside threat, I want it to be revealed that they defeated that threat millions of years ago and just kept building an army because that was all they knew how to do.