Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Brother Entropy posted:

no, it's very important that i browbeat hypothetical perople who aren't reading this thread but enjoy a thing i'm too good for

did you come?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nice multi post anti red lobster meltdown, lol

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

TheScott2K posted:

A lot of kinda ugly classism coming out with the Red Lobster discussion

The idea of chain restaurants being something to aspire to consuming is a myth created by capitalist thugs to prey upon the naivete of low- and middle-income communities while also crushing their local economy and culture.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
I've actually never had Red Lobster. The closest one is like 40 miles away, in the shittiest part of the city and from what I hear it's the place to go if you want food poisoning.

If we had a nice Red Lobster I'd probably try it tho.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Same, there isn't even a Red Lobster in my garbage state. The closest I've gotten is buying those Cheddar Bay Biscuit mixes they sell at the grocery store and making some of those biscuits, but they can't be THAT accurate because you have to provide your own cheese.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
goin' ham at the red lobster

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Unsurprisingly there don't appear to be any Red Lobsters in Massachusetts. The closest one to me is in Hartford.

That said though guys chill out about Red Lobster already, it was a little funny that he thought of it as pulling out all the stops for big date #2 with surprise hot-air-balloon ride but not out-there enough to justify a multiple-pages-long derail

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

lol why was this also my first thought

Hell, same

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yo, RL and Olive Garden are clutch if you’re going out for a family thing and you have four different kinds of picky eaters in the group.

another good option when you have four different kinds of picky eaters in your family is to :sever: and start a new one

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Sagebrush posted:

another good option when you have four different kinds of picky eaters in your family is to :sever: and start a new one

Oh, if only...

There have been a number of family functions (like birthdays or graduations) where the person of honor got like, a secondary follow-up dinner because ‘sorry, I know it’s your birthday, but aunt so-and-so hates sushi, and your cousin doesn’t like the place, so can we go to Outback instead?’

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 12, 2018

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

precision posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say but I can assure you that Red Lobster is overpriced and bad no matter what income bracket you're in. If you live anywhere near the ocean, find a cheaper, better local place. If you don't, find the grocery store that cares the most and buy from them.

What is it with computer touchers that assume all people have the time energy money and skills required to cook things you can get at a restaurant?

You know what I want to do on week three of my 72 hour work week extravaganza? Cook and then clean the dishes for cooking!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yo, RL and Olive Garden are clutch if you’re going out for a family thing and you have four different kinds of picky eaters in the group.

Or you could, uh, go to a half decent restaurant or something. There's literally 15+ seafood joints and 20+ Italian places that are all far superior to Red Lobster or Olive Garden in my large Midwestern city, many of which offer similar affordable pricing to chain garbage. Probably like 5 each alone within 15 minutes of my apartment. Unless you live in Buttsville, Alabama, there is never any reason to hit up chains unless you have negative taste.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

gently caress going anywhere that isnt olive garden, im going there right now gently caress you

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Red Lobster chat almost makes me miss World Cup chat. Almost.

Classmate is threatening to sue because she stole my medicated drinks in the pantry and it gave her an adverse reaction

quote:

I've always left drinks mixed with my medication, some sort of sleeping aid, and they're labelled properly so I don't accidentally drink them and fall asleep

A few hours into the party I was pissed to find out my drink was missing, but then I got a call from my friend asking if I was the one who left the Arizona Iced Tea in the fridge with the masking tape labelled "DO NOT DRINK - MIXED WITH MEDICATION". Turns out one of my classmates drank it and she's mad to the point that she wants to sue me for negligence(?) because it was my fault for not labeling my drink that she will get an inflammation out of it. What do I do?

why the gently caress

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

gently caress going anywhere that isnt olive garden, im going there right now gently caress you

*Raises bread stick in your honor
"Here here, this man gets it"

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Depressio111117 posted:

Classmate is threatening to sue because she stole my medicated drinks in the pantry and it gave her an adverse reaction

why the gently caress

Goddamn, it's 99cents lady, just buy one.

e: to clarify, I mean the lady that stole it. But premixing your "some sort of sleeping aid" sounds wack as hell too.

dudeness fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 12, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Depressio111117 posted:

why the gently caress

What? Just... how?

But it just goes to show you: you can’t trust grad students around any sort of food or drink.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Depressio111117 posted:

why the gently caress

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Some sort of inflammation from it...?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Depressio111117 posted:

The phrase you are looking for in response to her attempt to sue you is “I wish you would”.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

dudeness posted:

Goddamn, it's 99cents lady, just buy one.

e: to clarify, I mean the lady that stole it. But premixing your "some sort of sleeping aid" sounds wack as hell too.

It's not a sleeping aid if she was using it during a party. I would guess some kind of painkiller because the one time I had that it tasted pretty nasty.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
This is kind of weird, but afaik, the only "sleep aid" you normally mix with a drink is Xyrem, which is straight-up GHB (it's a treatment for narcolepsy)

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Anne Whateley posted:

This is kind of weird, but afaik, the only "sleep aid" you normally mix with a drink is Xyrem, which is straight-up GHB (it's a treatment for narcolepsy)

Unless it's an OTC thing like benadryl or melatonin. I will say mixing your sleep aid in a giant can of sugar and caffeine is not well thought out.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

You have to live in an incredibly tiny town with less than like 10k people to not have a decent diner/sub shop/bar/steakhouse/etc that serves food way better than Olive Garden or Red Lobster. Even the little truck stop towns along most highways tend to have half a dozen family owned places within a 20 minute drive these days.

My mom lives in a city with no good restaurants. But the local dairy Queens clean out their soft serve machines every night and it makes the ice cream way tastier for some reason. (I worked there in highschool, both locations.)

There are a couple of locally owned restaurants, but they are not very good. There are a few decent diners 20-25 minutes away. Population:12,500.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Xombie posted:

The idea of chain restaurants being something to aspire to consuming is a myth created by capitalist thugs to prey upon the naivete of low- and middle-income communities while also crushing their local economy and culture.

Good thing you're here to save them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Depressio111117 posted:

why the gently caress

I mean, she was at a party, so I guess her thought was "I bet it's fun medication!"

But I mean, still, lmao.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Stealing someone elses medicated anything is an incredibly lovely thing to do, what the gently caress.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LadyPictureShow posted:

What? Just... how?

But it just goes to show you: you can’t trust grad students around any sort of food or drink.

From all I'm hearing grad students barely count as sentient.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From all I'm hearing grad students barely count as sentient.

Yeah. What do you expect from a population that is largely made up of people who have never done anything other than "go to school" then "go to school potentially away from home"?

Children in adult bodies........

Not saying this is all of them.......but it is the ones you hear these stories about. And it's typically because their actual adult friends don't realize these people are 14 year olds with better vocabulary.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

dudeness posted:

Same, there isn't even a Red Lobster in my garbage state. The closest I've gotten is buying those Cheddar Bay Biscuit mixes they sell at the grocery store and making some of those biscuits, but they can't be THAT accurate because you have to provide your own cheese.

They are actually just as good if not better because they are coming fresh from the oven. No need to ever return to Red Lobster.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Motronic posted:

Yeah. What do you expect from a population that is largely made up of people who have never done anything other than "go to school" then "go to school potentially away from home"?

Children in adult bodies........

Not saying this is all of them.......but it is the ones you hear these stories about. And it's typically because their actual adult friends don't realize these people are 14 year olds with better vocabulary.

I am so happy to be out of grad school, every second of every loving day.

No matter how bad you assume grad school is, it's worse. And not because of the workload, because of the people.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Hell is other grad students.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Pick posted:

No matter how bad you assume grad school is, it's worse. And not because of the workload, because of the people.

Workload can be p awful too, my adviser was a big name and while I'm thankful to have gotten to work on his projects and the instant recognition he got me, dude expected his students to be pulling 60+ hour weeks at minimum. I get that modern grad school can be just arrested development for people who didn't know what to do with their 4 year degrees but if you get into a legit program rather than just a scam milking for more student debt it truly is both highly qualified and grueling work.

If at bare min you aren't getting a tuition waver and a stipend your program isn't serious.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean I was paid to be in grad school and in a good lab, but it loving sucked, dude. A real, normal job is awesome in comparison.

Working somewhere with fair compensation and perspective is like a 24/7 career orgasm after that.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Pick posted:

I mean I was paid to be in grad school and in a good lab, but it loving sucked, dude. A real, normal job is awesome in comparison.

Absolutely true, I'm just talking to the whole "grad school is for adult children who couldn't hack it" mindset, like sure I'm not gonna necessarily speak to the social maturity of the people who were in my department at that time but it's laughable to act like they weren't dedicated to their work and exceptionally talented people in their own right.

Normal jobs aren't just awesome in comparison, they're easy and far less stressful.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ArbitraryC posted:

Absolutely true, I'm just talking to the whole "grad school is for adult children who couldn't hack it" mindset, like sure I'm not gonna necessarily speak to the social maturity of the people who were in my department at that time but it's laughable to act like they weren't dedicated to their work and exceptionally talented people in their own right.

Normal jobs aren't just awesome in comparison, they're easy and far less stressful.

I think from the sound of it everyone is either a barely functional child in an adult's body or rapidly beaten down to that level by stress and insanity.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

TheScott2K posted:

A lot of kinda ugly classism coming out with the Red Lobster discussion

Remember when you panhandled for money like a homeless person, except it was for a Nintendo Switch, in the switch thread? That was a trip dude. I just remember thinking, holy poo poo, I may have my issues but at least I'm not that guy.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

The Scott 2k is a complicated man who likes Nintendo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think from the sound of it everyone is either a barely functional child in an adult's body or rapidly beaten down to that level by stress and insanity.

I get crapped on a lot but I've become increasingly re-sane the longer I'm away. whoo nelly.

tfw you and a friend ask the other one to please go feed your cat because you're stuck sleeping overnight under your desk in the lab again, and neither has the heart to tell the other that they were also overnighting in their lab so two overworked, sad people are making rounds at 2 am feeding one another's cat in a furious dance of absurdity

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pick posted:

I went to grad school with some lovely child-like adults too, but really? I don't think group work is very common in grad school courses and it's not like you're forced to interact outside of class with fellow students you don't like.