Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I feel as intellectually impotent as Echopraxia’s protagonist in trying to figure out what the heck happened.
Did the Bicamerals and Valerie agree from the start to shape Bruks via mind trickery into a post-human superior to all of them? Did they make Jesus by compacting all of their genius powers into his head, as if he’s their own Portia spider now capable of so much in such a small package?

snoremac fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Echopraxia spoilers: It's been a while since I finished the book, so I don't recall if it's outright stated that Bruks gets dragged along as a specific repository for Portia-Jesus, which they knew was waiting for them all along, or if he was more a set of durable spare parts. He's definitely manipulated out of his sabbatical and into the monastery by Valerie, so maybe that's all on her, and the Bicamerals weren't specifically expecting Portia.

It's sort of hard to say when you're dealing with inherently ineffable planning on the part of godlike geniuses. I think we're thematically never meant to know, but by the same token, the book is titled after a condition where you involuntarily repeat someone else's movements. It doesn't seem unreasonable to suggest that literally everyone in the book is being played by a higher power, which I guess must be Portia, even if that does make for an unsatisfying narrative.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

grassy gnoll posted:

Echopraxia spoilers: It's been a while since I finished the book, so I don't recall if it's outright stated that Bruks gets dragged along as a specific repository for Portia-Jesus, which they knew was waiting for them all along, or if he was more a set of durable spare parts. He's definitely manipulated out of his sabbatical and into the monastery by Valerie, so maybe that's all on her, and the Bicamerals weren't specifically expecting Portia.

It's sort of hard to say when you're dealing with inherently ineffable planning on the part of godlike geniuses. I think we're thematically never meant to know, but by the same token, the book is titled after a condition where you involuntarily repeat someone else's movements. It doesn't seem unreasonable to suggest that literally everyone in the book is being played by a higher power, which I guess must be Portia, even if that does make for an unsatisfying narrative.

I prefer Blindsight's concrete consciousness-is-a-useless-aberration-and-we're-truly-alone over this. It hurts my head.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
I am reading Kim Staneley Robinson's Red Mars. Truthfully this isn't my first experience with him as I tried to read Years of Salt and Rice. Does the Red Mars get any better or more interesting or is just a slog of a series to get through reading about mundane life of these people trying to colonize and terraform Mars.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Tiger Crazy posted:

I am reading Kim Staneley Robinson's Red Mars. Truthfully this isn't my first experience with him as I tried to read Years of Salt and Rice. Does the Red Mars get any better or more interesting or is just a slog of a series to get through reading about mundane life of these people trying to colonize and terraform Mars.

It just might not be for you. I hit the same snag with Red Mars. As far as KSR goes, Years of Rice and Salt is sort of OK, Aurora is probably the best genre book of the last few decades, the rest is forgettable.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

snoremac posted:

I prefer Blindsight's concrete consciousness-is-a-useless-aberration-and-we're-truly-alone over this. It hurts my head.

I basically think of it as Neo-Lovecraft. We've built unknowable cosmic gods, and now we have to deal with our insignificance.

This would make Bruks Nyalarthotep, walking out of the desert to bring chaos and change.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Am about 4 chapters into William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land @1912, and am at the point where Hodgson is describing how humanity lives in a post dead-sun era. The stuff Hodgson spends paragraphs and paragraphs describing would be about...oh..2 sentence descriptions involving [NANOMACHINES, BUCKYBALLS, DARK MATTER, NUETRINO POWER, FORCEFIELDS, ALIENTECH] 'Choose at least one" in modern books.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

It just might not be for you. I hit the same snag with Red Mars. As far as KSR goes, Years of Rice and Salt is sort of OK, Aurora is probably the best genre book of the last few decades, the rest is forgettable.

I just wanted to add that, just like Red Mars, Aurora is about mundane life of people trying to colonize and terraform another planet.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Neurosis posted:

I see it a bit differently. I'm not sure that the Hieros and the Megatherians are opposed as much as what might seem to be the case. Certainly there are some things linking them together - the one that springs to mind is the Hierogrammate in Inire's book which is described as swimming through space, much as the undine said to Severian she and her sisters could do. Thematically, the problem of evil in a universe created by a benevolent creator, and the argument that even something evil can serve the plans of a good God (this conception of the point of evil is mirrored most obviously in the Vodalus/Autarch and post-ascendance Severian/Agia relationship) mean that there's nothing in the Hieros that must necessarily be good. An evil set of beings such as the Hierogrammates could lead to the primary means of apotheosis for humanity conceived of - redemptive suffering for our many failings and, ultimately, death and transcendence. Additionally, there are some indications - although they are maybe at the most obvious in Urth - where it seems like the Hieros want to make us suffer for pain humans of past universes caused them to suffer in their early years.

I wonder, consequently, whether this might not all be merely manipulation by the Hieros and the megatherians to produce the circumstances needed for hiero procreation. Perhaps the apparent conflict is more apparent than real. That's not my firm opinion, but it seems like an interpretation that suits the many ambiguities in the series better than the storyline being a Manichaean conflict. I'll have to take notes next time I read it to help evaluate this idea; it's all a bit of an inchoate feeling right now.

Also, Long Sun and Short Sun are great. I'm halfway through my third Short Sun and Solar Cycle reread and they really do improve each time.

Most people catch the influence of Catholic tradition, The Dying Earth, The Man who was Thursday, and Funes the Memorious, but the one I never see mentioned is Caeser's Commentaries on the Gallic Wars. As the Autarch Severian must justify and endear himself to various often conflicting audiences and so tries to mesh independent forces he doesn't understand into a simple coherent narrative.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

I liked Night Land but I might not have finished it the first time were I not already a fan of his books.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Also, I'm looking forward to the Company finding The Limper's head coming after them! Since in my book, when it comes to The Limper, (and Raven, for that matter) unless they show him actually dying I'm not going to believe it! And his head was still 'alive' when it was kicked into a ditch, after all :D

Read more of The Silver Spike last night and uh, yeah. :stare: Just got up to the bit where The Limper's head is found by TKD and he gets a new 'wicker man' body made by some half-shonky forest shamans, and then uses his position as a worshipped god-like figure to recruit a small army and wipe out Oar and the town by the Barrowland. (Does that town have an actual name, by the way?)
I must say, I'm looking forward to how this pans out! I also like this plot a lot better as a side story involving less-covered characters in the series, too - I always like reading/watching stuff like this happening and being resolved without the all-powerful main cast's involvement. (for other series', too)

Also, I love how Glen Cook is able to make characters like The Limper both a total brutal, resilient and powerful badass, while also getting the poo poo kicked out of him on other occasions, simply through a bit of his own arrogance and his opponent utilizing subterfuge.
I dunno, I'm not describing it very well I know - I just like how even the most powerful characters are still extremely vulnerable in their own way, while still being able to display great acts of power like annihilating groups of soldiers, etc.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Anyone read Semiosis, by Sue Burke? I just read a violent rape scene in chapter two and am thinking about chucking the book. It seemed very pointless and unnecessary and I'm kind of past reading books that include stuff like that just to raise the stakes or make the bad guys seem worse.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

apophenium posted:

Anyone read Semiosis, by Sue Burke? I just read a violent rape scene in chapter two and am thinking about chucking the book. It seemed very pointless and unnecessary and I'm kind of past reading books that include stuff like that just to raise the stakes or make the bad guys seem worse.

I read it earlier in the year because I was sold on the premise, but it's pretty eh and only gets worse and less interesting as it does on. I'd drop it now probably.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Major Isoor posted:

Read more of The Silver Spike last night and uh, yeah. :stare:

The Silver Spike might be my favorite of the series. Something happens in every chapter, lots of characters are in play, and we get a good look at the madness and willpower of The Limper. It's a great plot too, a couple low lifes pull off a heist that would daunt anyone who actually had any idea at all what they were dealing with, then they find themselves waaaay in over their heads.

Enjoy !

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tiger Crazy posted:

I'm currently about three quarters through Red Mars, and it took me a while to get into it. I'd say the first third is pretty dry, but then it becomes a political intrigue about the mars natives resisting corporations trying to turn the planet into colonies to exploit the planet for its mineral wealth. None of the main characters seem particularly developed or likeable, but more time is spent exploring the small ethnically diverse communities and how the planet shapes their culture and run-ins with rent-a-cops.

I was hesitant to pick up and read three 25 year old door stoppers about terraforming mars. While I'm not in love with the book, there's enough to it that I'll keep reading them. Part of the momentum for me is to read a series that is part of the sci-fi canon, and if it were a new book, by a new author, I might stop after the first book. So read it if you are curious, because it does get a bit better, but it's not going to become amazing.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mllaneza posted:

The Silver Spike might be my favorite of the series. Something happens in every chapter, lots of characters are in play, and we get a good look at the madness and willpower of The Limper. It's a great plot too, a couple low lifes pull off a heist that would daunt anyone who actually had any idea at all what they were dealing with, then they find themselves waaaay in over their heads.

Enjoy !

Oh yeah, it's definitely been a great ride so far! :D Serious contender for my favourite entry in the series already, since it's still so early on and things don't look like they'll let up. I'm quite excited for the release of Port of Shadows (or whatever it's called) later in the year, since I'm hoping it'll be something similarly great to read. (Possibly featuring hijinks involving Krage and co., perhaps? Hard to say)

EDIT: Oh also, speaking of Juniper, is there any mention of what happens to the bulk of the Black Company soldiers, who were left behind? Since I know Elmo takes some and regroups later on at Chimney, but there's still a whole lot of them unaccounted for - even including the detachment that went with Whisper to kill Croaker and the rest.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 11, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tokamak posted:

I'm currently about three quarters through Red Mars, and it took me a while to get into it. I'd say the first third is pretty dry, but then it becomes a political intrigue about the mars natives resisting corporations trying to turn the planet into colonies to exploit the planet for its mineral wealth. None of the main characters seem particularly developed or likeable, but more time is spent exploring the small ethnically diverse communities and how the planet shapes their culture and run-ins with rent-a-cops.

The best developed character in the Mars series is Mars itself. Once you get that, the books pick up.

The collection of short stories set during the Mars cycle are really good. If you find it hard to love a trilogy about a planet, try those. They're much more approachable.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Microcline posted:

Most people catch the influence of Catholic tradition, The Dying Earth, The Man who was Thursday, and Funes the Memorious, but the one I never see mentioned is Caeser's Commentaries on the Gallic Wars. As the Autarch Severian must justify and endear himself to various often conflicting audiences and so tries to mesh independent forces he doesn't understand into a simple coherent narrative.

Huh. Interesting. I buy it without knowing much about the Commentaries. Severian has an element of Claudius about him so other Roman influences make sense. And Wolfe clearly had an interest in antiquity, given what we saw in Latro.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Welp, WWV ended up sucking.

Good for about half the book, then the second half went a bit weird with a few plot points that literally did nothing, and then the ending was sort of a literary wet fart.

I'm not gonna bother with the sequel.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Captain_Person posted:

I read it earlier in the year because I was sold on the premise, but it's pretty eh and only gets worse and less interesting as it does on. I'd drop it now probably.

Yeah, I really liked the concept, and I finished the book, but it was merely Ok. I don't remember there being any other scenes like that later, but I might have just blocked it from memory because it was fairly forgettable.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What's with the occasional red letters in Watts's latest? Starting point for some ARG? Arbitrary insert to jack up the printing cost? I couldn't be arsed to write them down myself but if someone has please feel free to spoil it for me.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://www.google.com/search?q=freeze+frame+revolution+red+letters

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Someone tell me what the red letters mean, the google search isn't helping...

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
https://www.reddit.com/r/printSF/comments/8omjxm/spoilers_discussion_of_the_freezeframe_revolution/ includes the red letters, and the url.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yesssss. Thank you sir.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just finished it.

OMG.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

My interpretation (and all bigtime Wolfe fans have their own) is that the Hierogrammates and the Megatherians are the end result of two different paths human evolution can lead to. In the future where the New Sun is brought humanity evolves into the Hieros that create the Hierogrammates. In the future where it isn't (corresponding with the Urth of Master Ash) humanity turns into and/or creates the giant aquatic monsters and undines. So the events of BOTNS are the final battle in this war, one side being represented by Severian and one by Baldanders. Their fight in Sword of the Lictor is quite literally a fight for the future of human existence. There's a lot more to it but that's the gist of my 'cosmic war' idea.

We are given half of this explicitly near the end of Citadel, and given Wolfe's penchant for dualism/twins it wasn't a leap to see Sev and Baldanders in this context and extrapolate from there.

Short Sun is about the process of humanity evolving into the Hieros and the incredible trauma that inflicts on the entire human race - the price of necessary evolution is to completely lose our humanity. I think. It's way more unclear but I find myself accepting Marc Aramini's ideas mostly.

That sounds cool, though I'm not sure why the Megatharians would want to live in a world where the seas have frozen over. And if they're trapped on Urth as opposed to being a space-faring race then they'll eventually perish when the sun dies.

I'm a little worried after reading Gene Wolfe that other fantasy and sci-fi books are going to seem shallow and boring in comparison. Though the one thing Wolfe doesn't try to do is inject much humor into Severian's journey, so I suppose that's one thing other stories can provide.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 11, 2018

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ok. So. I really really liked Freeze Frame Revolution and the Lock Step series of short stories and Pushing Ice.

Can anyone recommend me something similar?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Steakandchips posted:

Ok. So. I really really liked Freeze Frame Revolution and the Lock Step series of short stories and Pushing Ice.

Can anyone recommend me something similar?
House of Suns

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Marooned in Real-time and The Peace War by Vinge

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

coffeetable posted:

House of Suns

Seconded

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Are the Lock Step short stories referred to related to Karl Schroeder's novel Lockstep? Which is a decent read

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
is there some way I can find Cyteen as an e-book? Either I'm stupid or I'm just not searching hard enough.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

coffeetable posted:

House of Suns

Read it. Loved it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Neurosis posted:

Are the Lock Step short stories referred to related to Karl Schroeder's novel Lockstep? Which is a decent read

Yes. The short stories came out in Analog first, then were mashed together to make a novel.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fallom posted:

Looking these up now.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Fallom posted:

The Peace War is pretty iffy, I think it’s Vinge’s worst novel. Good ideas, but the plot and characterization are mediocre. Marooned is great though. In a sentence it’s about a policeman investigating a murder which might or might not be related to the disappearance of humanity a few eons earlier.

Velius fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 12, 2018

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Orcamancer is a good word.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Velius posted:

The Peace War is pretty iffy, I think it’s Vinge’s worst novel. Good ideas, but the plot and characterization are mediocre. Marooned is great though. In a sentence it’s about a policeman investigating a murder which might or might not be related to the disappearance of humanity a few eons earlier.

It's not his first but it's the first one you ever hear anybody talk about. To be fair, though, "good ideas but the plot and characterization are mediocre" is most of his work in a nutshell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

a very wet possum posted:

is there some way I can find Cyteen as an e-book? Either I'm stupid or I'm just not searching hard enough.

Bafflingly, most of her other A-U stuff, including Regenesis and Downbelow Station, is available on Google Play. And a Cyteen audiobook is available on Closed Circle. But a Cyteen ebook seems to be entirely absent.

You could try emailing her or asking on WWAS if she has any plans to put it on CC.