Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
What about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ChickenMedium posted:

What about S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fK3vQoczJk

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I accidentally posted that plane story here instead of a different thread.

In that other thread I was told not to be "the fun police" by a couple of goons when I said it was really creepy and invasive :shrug:

Anyway how about those video games guys

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

More like video lames haha!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Stalkers are my favorite Protoss unit.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Stalkers were my favourite Ranger kit in Baldur’s Gate 2

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

(and some terrible parts like missing sidequests forever if you aren't following a guide.)

i missed the sidequest that eventually opens up the postgame

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Stalkers are my favorite Protoss unit.

stalkers used to fuckin suck though because they were the only bonus vs armored unit that had its attack split in two, so defenders got to double dip on on damage reduction

now this dubious distinction belongs to, of all things, the marauder...

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 12, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah the sidequests were definitely an issue with Vesperia 360. I'd have to imagine that the new version gives Patty and Flynn their own sidequests to worry about too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sidequests are just something that sucked in tales in general until graces f unfortunately

tales of the abyss has a lot of sidequests that lend additional context to how the cast has grown since act 2, like jade being forced to acknowledge that his own reluctance to explain things to people has consistently led to bad things happening that he could have prevented, just being relegated to like. a sidequest split into two scenes hours apart that you could miss entirely. or the nebilim sidequest that is required in order to understand what the ending of the game is being ambiguous about

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 12, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My Vesperia game was weirdly bugged and I couldn't do the skywhale race minigame to get (I think) a costume or accessory for Judy. He just wouldn't fly in the direction I pointed the control stick!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My problem with the Xenoblade 2 combat system is that I felt like I had "solved" it about 3/5s of the way through the game and after that nearly every fight felt more or less identical.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i hope there are many more cool costumes in the remaster. yuri's True Knight was great but you get it at the very end of the game and everything else is very mundane.

i'm probably like the one person who plays tales games who doesn't like to use the funny costumes, i just want something with lots of open coats and capes and sashes and poo poo with wind physics

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think Judith gets a KOS-MOS one? Karol can only ever be the frog.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The White Dragon posted:

i'm probably like the one person who plays tales games who doesn't like to use the funny costumes, i just want something with lots of open coats and capes and sashes and poo poo with wind physics

Nah dude I'm with you. My favorites from Symphonia are the Noble outfits and I was always mad that you can only get like four of them.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Done with RE1 for a while at least. I have no idea how I'd cut out over an hour for the infinite rocket launcher. Maybe with Jill. I'll play through Watch________________Dogs 2 for a while and then go to RE2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Is the post-game content of any Tales good? Hearts R had a neat looking dungeon and dark weapons that power up as you kill things but I've moved on to other anime games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

Is the post-game content of any Tales good? Hearts R had a neat looking dungeon and dark weapons that power up as you kill things but I've moved on to other anime games.

the base game of graces f has a decent post-game dungeon that works cause the game's core combat is extremely satisfying and the future arc has a lot of neat added sidequest stuff, otherwise no most of them are along the lines of hearts r in that they just give you a couple extra stuff to play with, a bad dungeon and the cursed weapons, and let you carry-over costumes and artes into new game+ so that you don't need to regain everything if you play the game again

the best part of tales of the abyss' new game+ is that if you replay all the way to the end again you get tokusatsu costumes, and you can make asch wear one so he and luke become ranger rivals

berseria probably has one of the worst because its post-game is just, an overly long, overly huge dungeon that takes like ten hours and has no interesting boss encounters or any central gimmicks that don't suck

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I tried to like Graces, but I just wanted to throttle Asbel the entire time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Heartcatch posted:

I tried to like Graces, but I just wanted to throttle Asbel the entire time.

he just kind of fades into the background after a while and by the time he comes back into focus he's not as bad

definitely one of the most boring leads though

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mr E posted:

Done with RE1 for a while at least. I have no idea how I'd cut out over an hour for the infinite rocket launcher. Maybe with Jill. I'll play through Watch________________Dogs 2 for a while and then go to RE2.

:cool:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If cutscenes count towards time that'll get rid of a bunch of time plus I saved everyone which added time. Also nice kills :cool:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i hope the re2 remake is good but more importantly i hope we get an re3make because that's the best

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Nah dude I'm with you. My favorites from Symphonia are the Noble outfits and I was always mad that you can only get like four of them.

only giving you half the noble and swimsuit costumes sucks but then i remembered i hate half the cast anyway and then it was fine

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

only giving you half the noble and swimsuit costumes sucks but then i remembered i hate half the cast anyway and then it was fine

symphonia has so much stupid bullshit with the costumes lol. it was a pretty stark difference going from that "here's a costume sidequest but only for the three characters who have the highest affinity with you or the three you pick in this arbitrary decision" bullshit to tales of the abyss just being like "here are three sidequests that give you a funny scene with every character and gives them all a new costume"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr E posted:

Save no one and don't bother getting the magnum with Jill saves a bunch of time. That's a lot harder with Chris obviously.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh geez there's that long rear end corridor in Hollow Knight that's covered in spikes and armored bugs that you have to goat fly crystal dash through and I died RIGHT at the end and then my ghost prevented me from doing it again successfully :rip:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Oh geez there's that long rear end corridor in Hollow Knight that's covered in spikes and armored bugs that you have to goat fly crystal dash through and I died RIGHT at the end and then my ghost prevented me from doing it again successfully :rip:

I think you should have the guy who wants rotten eggs by now.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

I think you should have the guy who wants rotten eggs by now.

Yeah I know. I wasn't too bothered by it because I was broke anyway. Just annoying that I made it all the way to the end a second time just to get cockblocked by my ghost.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 12, 2018

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly the best part of tales of graces is when you take a space ship to mars and meet a space scientist lady who pretends to be your friend and then turns evil and dies less than an hour later and nobody ever mentions her again until you reach the ps3-exclusive future arc that for some reason has way higher production values and then she appears in one flashback scene and everyone says "hey it's her"

that and the part where you get eaten by a giant rock beast and everyone just says "well. i guess we only have one direction to go from here"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She was one of the hardest bosses in the game too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also the part where you get a flute that lets you summon the rock beast, and you can either go back inside its dungeon or challenge it to a fight and if you challenge it to a fight this happens

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fU1R5O4VXE

Live In Plenty is actually a very good track by Motoi Sakuraba

It appears in Star Ocean: The Second Story. Which is a bad game but a flawed masterpiece in an idiot savant kind of way. So Live In Plenty, only at one point in this game: on the world map while you're riding on a ship between continents. However, this sequence is fully scripted every time it runs, and you can't pilot the ship freely yourself. This track's runtime is about 1:36 to the loop, but the actual transit time is never more than like half a minute, so you can only ever hear the first thirty seconds of this song in the game itself.

this has been another exciting chapter of "tri ace what the gently caress"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

also the part where you get a flute that lets you summon the rock beast, and you can either go back inside its dungeon or challenge it to a fight and if you challenge it to a fight this happens

I never actually beat that I don't think but I stole an item I needed from it then ran away once

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've never played a Tales game beyond Vesperia as a consequence of the series jumping from platform to platform.

Actually I've only really played Phantasia, Symphonia, and Vesperia now that I think about it. I gave Eternia a try once and got a few hours in, but the Sylph boss kept kicking my rear end so I gave up.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I've finished Symphonia like five times and Abyss twice and gotten most of the way through Vesperia and played most of the others a bit.

ToS was such a great game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mak0rz posted:

I've never played a Tales game beyond Vesperia as a consequence of the series jumping from platform to platform.

Actually I've only really played Phantasia, Symphonia, and Vesperia now that I think about it. I gave Eternia a try once and got a few hours in, but the Sylph boss kept kicking my rear end so I gave up.

tbf they never really jumped platform to platform, the games were always playstation-based after phantasia it's just microsoft paid bandai namco to try and make the xbox 360 relevant in japan

eternia's good but yeah the difficulty early on can be rough. i like the games in between berseria and vesperia a lot but almost all of them have some pretty big flaws because the producer on the series since graces f was, really awful at his job, so the original launch of graces on wii was an unfinished mess, xillia had some decent writing but it was like an 80 hour long game cut down to 50 so it just kind of ends, xillia 2 is a weird frankenstein of scenes cut from xillia 1 mixed with entirely new writing, and zestiria is a steaming trash fire that got him fired and resulted in the new staff put on tales of berseria making a game that was a complete rejection of everything in zestiria

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Shortest Path posted:

I've finished Symphonia like five times and Abyss twice and gotten most of the way through Vesperia and played most of the others a bit.

ToS was such a great game.

Ooh yeah I played it through like five or six times as well. I grinded Genus to ridiculous levels to get his weapon from the solo battle arena. The last time I played the file he was at 250 thereabouts and at some point I accidentally overwrote the slot. Never touched the game since.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

tbf they never really jumped platform to platform, the games were always playstation-based after phantasia it's just microsoft paid bandai namco to try and make the xbox 360 relevant in japan

Symphonia was on the GameCube.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mak0rz posted:

Symphonia was on the GameCube.

i should've said mostly playstation-based lol. it still got ported to ps2 later, so it was basically the same deal as vesperia. every other tales game released in that gen was ps2-only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the xbox 360 japanese game run was pretty good, lost odyssey, vesperia, uh infinite undiscovery, eternal sonata, star ocean 4...

• Locked thread