Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Xae posted:

Or maybe the prototype will be used in areas where it can match the speed limit.

Yeah, it'll probably operate under similar rules to neighborhood electric vehicles, which are limited to roads below a certain speed limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tnega posted:

Because the least scale-able part of this scheme is the speed and size of the automated vehicle.

it does simplify things safetywise if your automated vehicle doesn't travel fast enough to be a serious threat to pedestrians

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

WTF

So traffic is going to be blocked up because of delivery vehicles traveling 5-10 below the speed limit of most roads? I seriously don’t understand this.

Nuro's vehicles aren't going to be used for this. They're not road-ready yet, having been tested exclusively in an abandoned parking lot. This delivery program is going to be using regular cars, supposedly equipped with self-driving equipment.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Johnny 5's gonna make Stuntman Mike obsolete too:

Honest hardworking stuntman:

drat bots taking are jerbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENa98h7M7qY&t=20s

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Robots prepping food: https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/11/17550848/future-of-dining-automation-robotics-creator-sf-robot-burgers-ai

quote:

Arriving at Creator, a new restaurant located on the ground floor of an office building on downtown San Francisco’s Folsom Street, feels like walking into a catalog. Sleek, wooden communal tables with high white stools line one end of the room, with a bookshelf full of hand-picked culinary books against the wall and modern light fixtures overhead. On the other end, however, two large machines each the size of a small car form a 90-degree angle around a center counter, giving the whole space a retro-futurist aesthetic. It’s what you would have imagined a restaurant eventually looking like if you watched a lot of The Jetsons.

Those machines, with large transparent glass casings and ingredients in cylindrical tubes, are Creator’s burger-making robots. Each 14-foot device contains around 350 sensors and 20 microcomputers to produce the best, freshest, locally sourced cheeseburger that $6 can get you in America’s most expensive city. After trying the first one out of the machine that day, I can confidently say that claim holds up; it’s the best-tasting burger for the money I’ve ever had. The machine is also capable of making multiple kinds of burgers, with vastly different flavor, ingredient, and condiment combinations. In a way, it feels like the future of fast casual food.

“We wanted to design a device that meets nature where it is, and not make food conform to a robot,” CEO Alex Vardakostas tells The Verge in an interview. “We didn’t want something that would make one kind of burger. We look at this like a platform for recipes, and we wanted as much culinary creativity as possible.” Right now, Creator is only taking reservations for 30-minute lunchtime slots on Wednesdays and Thursdays through the month of July, and plans to do the same in August while it irons out kinks and improves its software and workflow. But, eventually, Vardakostas says you’ll be able to order takeout using the company’s mobile app, while workers with iPhones will stroll around the restaurant to take eat-in orders, just like an Apple Store.

Creator, formerly known as Momentum Machines, is one of a rising new type of automated restaurant, mixing the best of the tech industry’s software, robotics, and artificial intelligence skills with top-tier culinary expertise. The goal is not to automate away humans entirely, but to automate the portion of the restaurant experience that can be done better, faster, and be more cost efficient with machines. Creator joins companies like San Francisco-based quinoa bowl chain Eatsa, pizza-delivery company Zume in Mountain View, CaliBurger parent company and Miso Robotics investor Cali Group, and a smattering of up-and-coming locations around the country like Boston’s Spyce and Seattle’s Junkichi.

On one end, it’s about convenience; well-programmed robots can make food faster than people, while touchscreens and mobile ordering cut down on long lines and clumsy interactions with cashiers. “It’s not that people are catching up with this type of model. It’s that this model is catching up with the way people and society are tending to interact with companies,” says Eatsa CEO Tim Young. The Eatsa experience involves no human beings whatsoever in the standard ordering process and instead lets customers order from an iPad. Food is prepared partially by automated machines and partially by humans in the kitchen before being placed into mechanized cubbies a customer opens with the tap of a finger on the glass.

“Customers are interacting through their devices,” Young adds. “Customers are demanding this type of experiment. The services and goods that people are purchasing, they are, in all walks of life, usually doing it through a device.” In addition to convenience, Young says automation is helping drive the kinds of efficiency gains and cost reductions that let customers buy healthier food for less money. (A typical Eatsa quinoa bowl costs around $7.) Young says the model also helps workers stay in food service for longer than the industry-standard six- to nine-month stints.

I can't wait to visit Tokyo in 5-10 years and grab fresh burgers and sushi out of vending machines on the street.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cicero posted:

Robots prepping food: https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/11/17550848/future-of-dining-automation-robotics-creator-sf-robot-burgers-ai

I can't wait to visit Tokyo in 5-10 years and grab fresh burgers and sushi out of vending machines on the street.

this thing is still a ridiculous gimmick that can really only work in places where people don't mind waiting for the novelty of a robot making their burger and also because of intense pressure on labor due to gentrification it's more efficient to build a boutique robot to replace a human

quote:

On one end, it’s about convenience; well-programmed robots can make food faster than people, while touchscreens and mobile ordering cut down on long lines and clumsy interactions with cashiers.

clumsy interactions with cashiers? what is clumsy about telling a cashier what kind of food you want? also cashiers are people trained to efficiently interpret orders and peck them into a touchscreen computer so that people don't slow down the line trying to figure out the user interface

quote:

And watching Creator’s burger-maker in action, I’m in awe at how such a machine could operate on a larger scale years down the line. It is effectively a fully automated, end-to-end burger assembly line running completely on code.

oh, word? an upscaled burger machine? i can't wait to see this brave future invention and wh-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmKmglmXNwA

quote:

The whole process takes no more than five minutes, and there I am sitting in front of a $6 burger that, had I ordered it anywhere else in the city, I would have sworn cost at least $10 to $12. Vardakostas says when both of Creator’s two burger-making machines get up and running at full capacity, they’ll be capable of putting out 120 burgers each per hour.

oh wow, only five minutes to cook a burger? at peak capacity it can output a burger every thirty seconds? that is... impressive?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 11, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

luxury handset posted:

this thing is still a ridiculous gimmick that can really only work in places where people don't mind waiting for the novelty of a robot making their burger and also because of intense pressure on labor due to gentrification it's more efficient to build a boutique robot to replace a human

We've talked about this in the thread a multitude of times and I can't believe people still don't get it. It's an early iteration of a (mostly) new technology, of course it's clunky as hell and slow. But the only way for these things to start advancing is to put them out into the world and see what happens, then start improving. Much like the cell phones of 30 years ago, they're huge and slow and impractical and nobody wants them except for the novelty. But in another 30 years they'll be smaller, faster, cheaper, and will be able to produce way more output at way higher quality. And cooks being forced to make the exact same recipes over and over and over will no longer exist. That's a good thing.

A person in that field should be applying their skills to creativity and invention, or even teaching. Not repetitive high-pressure drudgery. That's why automation is good.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

We've talked about this in the thread a multitude of times and I can't believe people still don't get it. It's an early iteration of a (mostly) new technology, of course it's clunky as hell and slow.

what new technology? robots have been able to make a burger for decades. it's just that the burger making robots are factory sized for efficiency's sake, and they're not nice little wood paneled cabinets that you can put down in a storefront

perhaps the technology isn't clunky because it is new, but rather because it is inefficiently scaled and relies on the novelty of a robot spitting out one bespoke burger at a time at a slow pace rather than dozens of identical burgers a minute. fast food is already heavily automated, it's just that the final step of fresh burger assembly as of yet can't be efficiently replaced by machines and i don't really see how this device can bring us there in a way that is scalable beyond niche markets. for an industry that lives and dies on efficiency of order throughput during a rush you'd have to do a hell of a lot of improvement to make this thing broadly attractive beyond a PR stunt

the article also touches on the constant boogeyman of touch screen ordering. every restaurant in america already has touch screen ordering. they're called POS systems and only employees are allowed to use them because it turns out that it's incredibly hard to make a user interface that is comprehensive, efficient, and intuitive. mcdonalds has been experimenting with touchscreen ordering since the early 90's. here are some mcdonalds touchscreen kiosks from 2005

it's not like touchscreen technology has improved dramatically since 2005. user adoption might have, but the essential problem is that it is far more efficient to tell a person what you want, and that person then inputs your order into a touchscreen for you. some people can effectively navigate the touchscreen but some, perhaps most, can't do so efficiently - imagine trying to get your breakfast order and you're stuck behind grandma and grandpa poking at a machine for three minutes trying to order two small coffees and hashbrowns. or you're in line at starbucks behind someone trying to instruct a machine to make a grande chai tea latte with 2.5 pumps, half skim and half 2% milk, extra hot with light foam and a quad grande non fat upside down caramel macchiato

Taffer posted:

And cooks being forced to make the exact same recipes over and over and over will no longer exist. That's a good thing.

A person in that field should be applying their skills to creativity and invention, or even teaching. Not repetitive high-pressure drudgery. That's why automation is good.

why is this a good thing? seems a bit classist to say that everyone should be doing creative, inventive pursuits instead of drudge work. some of the most meaningful jobs i've ever had were drudge work. have you ever worked in food service?

the real problem with drudge work is that it is underpaid, not that it doesn't properly stimulate the human soul. and in the absence of a robust system to pay people a living wage for doing drudge work - or having their jobs replaced by robots - it seems kind of premature to say that it is better for the human condition to say they can now learn how to throw pots in poverty

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol if you used a touchscreen in 2005 and think that the technology hasn't improved since then, love to have my finger register 3 inches away from where I touch

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

lol if you used a touchscreen in 2005 and think that the technology hasn't improved since then, love to have my finger register 3 inches away from where I touch

thats why they have the giant buttons on the older model. but if you've ever used a for real commercial grade foodservice POS it is very evident that the problem is trying to design a system which can accommodate the entire range of possible customer requests that also doesn't require a week's training to learn to use. like this is the standard chickfila POS screen it's already pretty simple and keep in mind you have to significantly dumb this down to ensure customers can use it without hassle. how can you make something simple for everyone to use while also making it usable enough to input orders at roughly the speed at which orders can be spoken to you?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

luxury handset posted:

it's not like touchscreen technology has improved dramatically since 2005. user adoption might have, but the essential problem is that it is far more efficient to tell a person what you want, and that person then inputs your order into a touchscreen for you. some people can effectively navigate the touchscreen but some, perhaps most, can't do so efficiently - imagine trying to get your breakfast order and you're stuck behind grandma and grandpa poking at a machine for three minutes trying to order two small coffees and hashbrowns. or you're in line at starbucks behind someone trying to instruct a machine to make a grande chai tea latte with 2.5 pumps, half skim and half 2% milk, extra hot with light foam and a quad grande non fat upside down caramel macchiato

I don't have to imagine when I can go to Sheetz right now, where all the food ordering is done on touch screens and it's fine and works well. The minority of old people who don't want to use touchscreens just don't go there and soon they'll be dead.

Speed isn't important because they combine the "deciding what you want to order" step with ordering itself, and because they can have 5 touchscreens instead of 1 register. Instead of waiting in a line, looking at the menu and then placing your order once the person at the register comes back after inexplicably walking away, you just make it a parallel process.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 11, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Slanderer posted:

I don't have to imagine when I can go to Sheetz right now, where all the food ordering is done on touch screens and it's fine and works well. The minority of old people who don't want to use touchscreens just don't go there and soon they'll be dead.

what happens when you want to customize your sandwich? like get extra cheese or whatever

also i've never been to a sheetz - do they get really crowded at peak meal times like breakfast or lunch?

e: i just poked through their online ordering tool and the customization is pretty limited. which is an advantage for touch screen ordering but it's kind of niche. like congrats for your business if you can train your customers to accept a limited set of possible customization options. my point being what works at the convenience store sandwich counter (you can get a sandwich with or without cheese) doesn't work in a business that encourages more customization like say, coffee

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 11, 2018

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

luxury handset posted:

what happens when you want to customize your sandwich? like get extra cheese or whatever

Pretty much any food place that does online ordering already has very detailed customization options available and it's not a clunky process at all (assuming of course that their UI design isn't poo poo). Just go look at online ordering for pizza or sub chains.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

Pretty much any food place that does online ordering already has very detailed customization options available and it's not a clunky process at all (assuming of course that their UI design isn't poo poo). Just go look at online ordering for pizza or sub chains.

yeah but again we're getting outside of the bounds of fast food. nobody cares if you take five minutes to customize your order online. they'll care quite a lot if you've got a line stacked up behind you

we can think of all kinds of all kinds of exceptions that don't really apply to the scenario of fast food ordering and how people have been threatening minwage workers with touchscreen replacement for a decade+ (while ignoring those same workers are basically professional touchscreen operators, meaning that there is an economic benefit to having a regular interpreter between the screen and the customer)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think you just need to look at the evolution of soda dispenser to coke freestyle to pepsi spire.

Like first you had a soda dispenser with like 5 sodas. Then coke came out with freestyle where it's like 20 sodas and a huge list of curated add ons combinations. Now pepsi has one and it's free mix and match and you can make yumberry pomegranate orange peach lime lifewater. I can not imagine standing in line behind someone ordering "yumberry pomegranate orange peach lime lifewater".

Like that sort of stuff is the way a thing like touch screen ordering extends instead of replaces ordering. Like of course it's not hard to order in a restaurant now, they tailor the whole menu to make sure it's easy to order. Which puts tons of limitations on how long the menu can be or how complex the customization could be.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Freestyle also has an app so you can save your favs and tell the machine which combo you want

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

RandomPauI posted:

Freestyle also has an app so you can save your favs and tell the machine which combo you want

Yeah, and there is no particular reason you COULDN'T order that stuff by speaking to a person but it sounds like an absolute nightmare. Like can you imagine a store trying to physically post the flavor chart?

but it's not at all hard or unintuitive on a screen. You just click a button and it shows the customization options. A touch screen doesn't just directly replace a person, it opens new possibilities for how complex the menu can be.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
E.g., "Hi, I would like 1/3rd of a cherry coke, 1/4 of a raspberry coke, and the rest vanilla coke."

Which is what I have on my phone.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I like that you can have cherry mr pibb and cherry vanilla mr pibb but not vanilla mr pibb and that you can have cherry sprite and vanilla sprite(?) but not cherry vanilla sprite. And I honestly can't even imagine the conversation that would have to happen with a person explaining this to another person out loud in words. Compared to it just being options on the screen where only the valid combinations show up.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
As always, the threat is not total removal of humans from back-of-house: it's a reduction of the amount of manpower needed, particularly skilled manpower, whittling down the labor requirements industry-wide. Not that the gimmick burger machine really has any impact on that; it's more of a dinner show than a genuine efficiency-builder.

The thing is that the kitchen has already been heavily automated, at least in fast food. There aren't really any low-hanging fruit left. If there's going to be any advances, they're going to come from relatively new technology, not a Burgerbot '97 that could easily have been built 20 years ago.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

As always, the threat is not total removal of humans from back-of-house: it's a reduction of the amount of manpower needed, particularly skilled manpower, whittling down the labor requirements industry-wide. Not that the gimmick burger machine really has any impact on that; it's more of a dinner show than a genuine efficiency-builder.

yeah. it's basically if rube goldberg designed an automat. pretty cool to separate nerds from their money but i dare you to find an article about this thing over its last eight years in development that isn't a glorified advertisement in some kind of magazine for early adopter types

meanwhile they have a grill, operated by slow robot arms, that needs to be partially disassembled so it can be cleaned

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It seems like any single change would always be dismissable. Like a pizza place's move to automation is always going to be either buying a machine that stamps the crust into the correct size that is boring beyond words and would be crazy to talk about for more than a second or some sort of crazy gimmick robot pizza man that is clearly just a stunt. It's really the convergence of those two things over the years and decades that actually matter.

Any single change is always going to be either too small and incremental to matter or so large that you have to ask "if it worked as a whole why would they not have been using the component parts of the process separately already?" but both show the direction of things as they pile up one at a time.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I could see something like McDonald's having food truck style kiosks that get gathered, cleaned, and restocked. Place them by the beach in summer time, rent them out for corporate gigs, etc.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It seems like any single change would always be dismissable.

have you ever in your life grilled a hamburger

"a grill, but slower, and harder to clean" is not exactly a step forwards in the March of Progress and i dont know how much you care to pay attention to the thousands of bad, dead end ideas littering that path

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Any single change is always going to be either too small and incremental to matter or so large that you have to ask "if it worked as a whole why would they not have been using the component parts of the process separately already?" but both show the direction of things as they pile up one at a time.

this thing is literally the same as a frozen hamburger factory but on a small enough scale to be uneconomical and inefficient. like it's a ten foot long assembly line. how impressive is that supposed to be?

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 11, 2018

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

luxury handset posted:

clumsy interactions with cashiers? what is clumsy about telling a cashier what kind of food you want? also cashiers are people trained to efficiently interpret orders and peck them into a touchscreen computer so that people don't slow down the line trying to figure out the user interface

oh, word? an upscaled burger machine? i can't wait to see this brave future invention and wh-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmKmglmXNwA

oh wow, only five minutes to cook a burger? at peak capacity it can output a burger every thirty seconds? that is... impressive?

lol is that you boner confessor?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

this thing is literally the same as a frozen hamburger factory but on a small enough scale to be uneconomical and inefficient. like it's a ten foot long assembly line. how impressive is that supposed to be?

It doesn't seem to be expensive or take particularly long. Whatever inefficiency it has seems to not impact the metrics a person would care about. Like it costs 6 dollars and takes 5 minutes to cook to order.

That seems absurdly cheap and fast for the supposed quality. Like even if they are lying about the organic vegitables and fresh baked bread being any good that is highly competitive if it's even like, five guys or applebees quality.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It doesn't seem to be expensive or take particularly long. Whatever inefficiency it has seems to not impact the metrics a person would care about. Like it costs 6 dollars and takes 5 minutes to cook to order.

That seems absurdly cheap and fast for the supposed quality. Like even if they are lying about the organic vegitables and fresh baked bread being any good that is highly competitive if it's even like, five guys or applebees quality.

five minutes is pretty long for fast food. it takes about a minute to cook a frozen patty in a griddle. and since the machine is only available for a limited time for testing purposes there is no way the $6 price point is accurate. like you still have to pay someone to stock and clean the machine. it sounds like they're selling the burger at cost and not yet trying to actually run the thing for profit - this article is almost acquiescently silent on the associated costs of running this thing in a storefront (who mops the floors? who empties the trash? who unclogs the machine when it jams, and performs the regular maintenance cycle? standard foodservice cycle times are four hours, meaning that to be compliant with regulations someone needs to make sure that every four hours this thing is emptied out and wiped down)

also this quote:

quote:

And watching Creator’s burger-maker in action, I’m in awe at how such a machine could operate on a larger scale years down the line. It is effectively a fully automated, end-to-end burger assembly line running completely on code.

seriously? the writer of this article is in awe of the concept of assembly line hamburgers, a thing which has existed for literal decades at this point? it took the creator of this machine eight years to develop a tiny, inefficient factory?

quote:

The whole process takes no more than five minutes, and there I am sitting in front of a $6 burger that, had I ordered it anywhere else in the city, I would have sworn cost at least $10 to $12.

had you ordered this burger anywhere else in the city, you'd be in an establishment which is open for actual business and not just open for a half hour by appointment to impress gullible tech writers and generate good press

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it occurred to me that waffle house sells their basic cheeseburgers for less than four dollars. and this is largely achievable because they don't use fresh ingredients, as well as a couple of key advantages inherent in human driven cooking - namely, a human can cook multiple different things at once (a grill operator can cook a burger, grilled cheese, hashbrowns, steak, eggs etc. all at the same time) as well as the fact that you can have more expensive things on the menu to help bring in more profit (the most expensive thing on a waffle house menu is a t-bone steak dinner at $11+)

from a food economics standpoint there's no way they can sell this burger, using fresh ingredients, for $6 and turn a profit unless it's a basic loss leader and they're doing serious markup on boutique drinks and side dishes (cooked by humans). which really just underscores that the tiny burger factory is a gimmick to help them stand out in the incredibly crowded foodservice market, especially fast casual burgers

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

five minutes is pretty long for fast food. it takes about a minute to cook a frozen patty in a griddle.

I don't know what you are eating if you consider five minutes an extremely long time to wait for food? hot pockets and mcdonalds?

Likewise anything up to a 100% price increase keeps it well ahead of anything but the lowest quality restaurant. Even applebee hamburgers cost 10.99 and aren't cooked to order to the amount this is. And don't come out in five minutes.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't know what you are eating if you consider five minutes an extremely long time to wait for food? hot pockets and mcdonalds?

so apparently you chose not too read the part where i said that five minutes is a long time by fast food standards. i did not say that i personally consider that a long time to wait. there is no reason to think i said this unless you are being deliberately obtuse

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Likewise anything up to a 100% price increase keeps it well ahead of anything but the lowest quality restaurant. Even applebee hamburgers cost 10.99 and aren't cooked to order to the amount this is. And don't come out in five minutes.

i dont feel like it would be worthwhile to try to argue with you about how restaurants work and how there is often a wide gap between the actual cost of production of a food item and what the customer is charged. this gap is widened by many things - need to meet profit targets to satisfy shareholders, the owner has a cocaine addiction, the reputation of the chef, a prestige location that charges a premium on rent

all i can do is assert to you this fact, whether you agree with it or not - there is absolutely no way that this burger is turning a meaningful profit at $6 if they intend to sell it in downtown san francisco using fresh, locally sourced ingredients fed into a machine that makes burgers - and only burgers - at a relatively slowpoke pace of two burgers a minute. and if they doubled the price then hey, they're being undercut by other fast casual burger chains that produce the same product in the same time without the gimmick of using an unnecessary, inefficient assembly line to make the burger

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i mean it seems real, real obvious that they're touting the at-cost price of the burger to try to come up with some kind of reason you would use this thing (it's cheaper! also we use more expensive ingredients but its cheaper, pinky swear!) because otherwise the only reason to try it is that you think it would be kinda neat to watch a robot slowly put together a burger which is not exactly, uh, a sustainable business model. like novelty wears off real quick

still though after eight years of development the inventor basically just whipped together an HO scale version of this lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d59kS_QWLNo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If you think it's unfair to compare to McDonald's time when describing fast food, I'm not sure you understand what fast food is.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

If you think it's unfair to compare to McDonald's time when describing fast food, I'm not sure you understand what fast food is.

Internet says the average wait time at mcdonalds is 3:30 so it doesn't even seem like five minutes is incomparably longer. Beyond that, this doesn't even seem like a mcdonalds style hamburger and isn't being served in a mcdonalds style restaurant so I don't really know how "mcdonald's does it a minute and a half faster" is even reasonable criticism. Nearly every restaurant on earth selling any food, including hamburgers, is vastly slower than mcdonalds. Including fast food hamburgers like five guys.

Especially if the claim is that this is being done theatrically to put on a show for nerds and a more industrial but less visually appealing style could be even MORE efficient in process time.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Internet says the average wait time at mcdonalds is 3:30 so it doesn't even seem like five minutes is incomparably longer. Beyond that, this doesn't even seem like a mcdonalds style hamburger and isn't being served in a mcdonalds style restaurant so I don't really know how "mcdonald's does it a minute and a half faster" is even reasonable criticism. Nearly every restaurant on earth selling any food, including hamburgers, is vastly slower than mcdonalds. Including fast food hamburgers like five guys.

Especially if the claim is that this is being done theatrically to put on a show for nerds and a more industrial but less visually appealing style could be even MORE efficient in process time.

five guys isn't fast food. it's fast casual

you can grill a burger in about six minutes in your backyard, and that's mostly for food safety reasons. the remainder of the wait at a sit down restaurant is in assembling larger orders and items with longer cook time. i guarantee that burger is sitting in the heat window long before any sautee dishes are done

i know that this is kind of your gimmick but gee whiz dude. you're mixing up standards for fast food, fast casual, and sit down whenever it is convenient for your argument to the point that i'm not sure really what you're trying to say except that you disagree with me. which is fine, i'm just not sure why you disagree with me except that i'm criticizing a machine

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 12, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

five guys isn't fast food. it's fast casual

i know that this is kind of your gimmick but gee whiz dude

Who cares though? Why is "mcdonalds is faster" even relevant? Why is "faster than mcdonalds" a metric for anything? Virtually every restaurant is slower than mcdonalds. plus it's like, a minute and a half slower, for what appears to be an infinitely higher quality product.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Who cares though? Why is "mcdonalds is faster" even relevant? Why is "faster than mcdonalds" a metric for anything? Virtually every restaurant is slower than mcdonalds. plus it's like, a minute and a half slower, for what appears to be an infinitely higher quality product.

don't tout how quickly the machine cooks a burger and then claim that it doesn't matter how quickly the burger cooks a burger dude. i haven't even once talked about how long it takes mcdonalds to cook a burger, i only talked about fast food standards as a whole. a five minute cook time is frankly not impressive by fast casual standards, it's way way slower than fast food, and overall it's it's a pretty weak thing to boast about when trying to sell a clunky miniature burger factory. drunk dads on the fourth of july can cook burgers in about five minutes. you're so twisted up you're arguing against yourself now lmao

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

luxury handset posted:

don't tout how quickly the machine cooks a burger and then claim that it doesn't matter how quickly the burger cooks a burger dude.

A six dollar burger in 5 minutes is better than any burger on the market. You can say that you can eat your nutragruel in 20 seconds and that this place will go out of business at that cost but on july 11th 2018 it' a restaurant that exists and is open

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A six dollar burger in 5 minutes is better than any burger on the market. You can say that you can eat your nutragruel in 20 seconds and that this place will go out of business at that cost but on july 11th 2018 it' a restaurant that exists and is open

wrong, again, as usual

quote:

Right now, Creator is only taking reservations for 30-minute lunchtime slots on Wednesdays and Thursdays through the month of July, and plans to do the same in August while it irons out kinks and improves its software and workflow.

an hour a week by appointment only isn't open. that is what we would call 'in training', generally the last step before the doors open - if they do

and none of these fawning articles can answer some critical questions such as, how often does this thing jam, break down, or need to be cleaned? like i said before, food containers in contact with raw ingredients need to be cleaned and refreshed every four hours. how long does it take to shut this thing down, open it up, disassemble it, clean the parts, and reassemble? you can do a salad bar in 5-10 minutes depending, so eyeballing it i'd say this thing could be done in about 10 minutes if it was designed to be easy to take apart and put back together. but if they only have two of these things, that's on average 15+ minutes where your machine is completely out of commission and not producing product. if you stagger these maintenance cycles for off peak times that wouldn't be too bad. but also, how often do they jam or break down? in a normal kitchen this wouldn't be a problem but, if you only have two machines which produce 100% of your product...

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
thinking about it the "restaurant without a kitchen" concept is actually kind of risky. like, if your machine breaks down during the dinner rush and you need a spare part that will arrive in an hour you are hosed. that's some portion of your line capacity, gone.

if you have an actual kitchen staffed with actual humans then you can work around it. one of the gas grills is broken? ok, now it's a place to put clean pans and rags. the shake machine is broken? son, you're about to make milkshakes by hand. we ran out of shredded carrots? call the busboy, here's forty bucks. go get a sack of carrots from the grocery store, and when you come back take this shredder and get to work

if this silly little baby factory breaks and you don't even have a grill in the back of the house because there is no back of the house, you are utterly dead in the water. so this contraption better be sturdy as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Industrial automation has been able to do this stuff for ages, you don't even have to invent new gizmos to do it. The fact that this thing is being portrayed as something innovative is insulting to all the people doing way more interesting and complex poo poo.