Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Ah ok, I’m sorry if that sounded silly :( I do want to share but you’re all right. It’s safer not to. Suffice to say, it’s scathing and thorough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Send PMs instead :getin:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I don't remember, did you report the HIPAA violation(s) yet?

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 11, 2018

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Shirec posted:

Hahahahahaha my former company doesn’t even do COBRA, I basically had to pull teeth to get pay stubs.

In other insane, I think that job was actually cursed news, I had an insanely amazing interview today with a company. I really hope they like me and make an offer, and I feel that maybe they will! As I came out of the interview, I had an email from a company that rejected me a week or so again, asking for a phone call.

I talked to the recruiter for that place and turns out the rejection was a mistake. She had told me she wouldn’t be able to get back to me as quickly, so I had been surprised that I got the rejection so fast. Apparently wires got crossed while she was out and they rejected me before clearing it with her.

So they made me an offer! Junior Software Engineer, lower than my NYC offer but more in what I’d cost of living make. I told them I was in talks with another company and I’d have to get back to them. She was really upset (not with me) and said although she couldn’t flex in salary, they could find other ways to make the offer better because they didn’t want to lose such a good candidate. She said to keep her updated as soon as I know because she wants to compete with who I’m talking to.

So! I uh, yeah, I’m not used to all this positive feedback? I’m alternating between glowing and bewildered.
:toot:x5000

This is one of the Chicago jobs?

Also, as badly as I want to read it (I mean, feel free to PM me I swear to god I won't rat you out, but...):

Virigoth posted:

Don’t post the review. For fucks sake.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Quit being so sensible; I need my schadenfreude! :mad:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Volmarias posted:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Note that everyone who's asking for PMs now is one of those evil virus-making hackers wearing a hoodie sitting in the back of the bus with a laptop.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

They are all your former boss, don't send them the review.
I'm not though so send away

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Volmarias posted:

:same:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Shirec posted:

Ah ok, I’m sorry if that sounded silly :( I do want to share but you’re all right. It’s safer not to. Suffice to say, it’s scathing and thorough

the solution is to organize a goonmeet where you end up moving and trade copies of the review for drinks

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Carbon dioxide posted:

Note that everyone who's asking for PMs now is one of those evil virus-making hackers wearing a hoodie sitting in the back of the bus with a laptop.

And?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Volmarias posted:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I'm sending 'em out. Either post that you want it here or PM me, I've sent out a good few now. Also if any of you end up somehow being my former boss and never connected the dots a) I hate you forever and I wish you'd get eaten by a bear starting with your dick b) wow you are dumb cause my posts were super specific

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Shirec posted:

I'm sending 'em out. Either post that you want it here or PM me, I've sent out a good few now. Also if any of you end up somehow being my former boss and never connected the dots a) I hate you forever and I wish you'd get eaten by a bear starting with your dick b) wow you are dumb cause my posts were super specific
I need to see this :getin:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Don’t freaking post or pm it lmao

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

I'll never forget one Glassdoor review I read that was like:

"don't walk away. RUN AWAY"

And also describing a marketing firm as a "frat house".

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Shirec posted:

I'm curious

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Murrah posted:

I'll never forget one Glassdoor review I read that was like:

"don't walk away. RUN AWAY"

And also describing a marketing firm as a "frat house".

Yeah I've not applied to places because of really bad Glassdoor reviews. Or, in one case, a string of scathing Medium posts (Tempus, totally avoid that company if you ever see it around in Chicago or elsewhere)

Phobeste posted:

Don’t freaking post or pm it lmao

I'm not gonna post it, because yes, not a great idea. But I don't work there now, and (FYI if I don't recognize your user name I reserve the right to say no) I don't think anyone is gonna be a creepy goon about it. Most of the people I'm sharing it with have already looked at my personal resume to help me out with stuff. I'm gonna trust the rest of y'all to not be assholes when it's really been a pretty poo poo 2018.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Shirec posted:

I don't think anyone is gonna be a creepy goon about it.

You can trust me, but the poster below me is a big creepy goon.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It's true :(

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
:same:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Had lunch with a old coworker yesterday. Highlights include:

New engineer that joined a month before I left got the gently caress out a week after I left.

There is one last engineer left who is now in charge of integrating the 70% done project I left into our server application with no help from anybody else. The integration code was maybe 20% done when I left.

They stopped paying for slack, which has blocked all the previous logs and chats I have had that may have helped him.

They refuse to pay $2500 for a gitlab enterprise license which has expired and has blocked them from using the git server. There are no offsite backups and the CEO refuses to ask me for help.

The CEO is now starting to think that the company should just sell its enclosures and not it’s own products.

I never thought I could actually do that kind of damage to a company. :stare:

Edit: As a reminder, my initial leaving was because they refused to give me a $40,000 raise from 80 to 120 for doing full stack embedded Linux work.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 12, 2018

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shirec posted:

I’m curious

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

ratbert90 posted:

I love this story.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ratbert90 posted:

It's not you it's the CEO

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

It's not you it's the CEO

While this is very true, I feel like I may have given a child a loaded gun and said “don’t shoot yourself!”

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

While this is very true, I feel like I may have given a child a loaded gun and said “don’t shoot yourself!”

You're under no obligation to save a sinking ship where the captain runs around throwing gasoline on everything and then lighting a match. Woosh though, those are some piss poor decisions he's making

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shirec posted:

You're under no obligation to save a sinking ship where the captain runs around throwing gasoline on everything and then lighting a match. Woosh though, those are some piss poor decisions he's making

Oh don’t get me wrong, I don’t feel bad at all. Not even a tiny bit. I just didn’t think my leaving was going to lead to that much damage that quickly. I am very happy to get out when I did.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Oh don’t get me wrong, I don’t feel bad at all. Not even a tiny bit. I just didn’t think my leaving was going to lead to that much damage that quickly. I am very happy to get out when I did.

Yeah, it sounds like this was going to happen to this company eventually regardless if you left or not.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Imagine, just two weeks away from disaster.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

Imagine, just two weeks away from disaster.

How many companies does that apply to? I feel like a decent amount

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I work for a startup still in the red, and I doubt it'll ever not be so :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo, I’m the main point person on our push to kill off and split up an old legacy system and bring it into our newer stuff, and I am loving it up so badly. Every time I think we’ve accomplished a new milestone some new insight on how the legacy system works or some data relation is clarified and I have to interview/meet with people to determine if what I’ve got is actually what they expect or if I need to change it up. I feel like I’m stumbling over so much poo poo in the way of doing the work. :suicide: Am I bad at my job?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Shirec, I'm specifically not requesting to see the review in case this all somehow leaks out in a horrible mess. I don't want to be potentially part of the group of culprits. I would recommend against sharing so much information because it takes one horrible human being to ruin it. And if there's one thing I've learned over the past few years, there are a lot of horrible human beings. Hell, your manager was one!

I think I've lived vicariously through your enough to appreciate the suffering and feel the rage. Having the name of the company isn't really useful to me because I have no ambitions to do web development in Chicago.

If there are Chicagoons that want to know where this place is specifically to avoid it, then can just PM Shirec companies to which they're applying and you can just tell them whether they're okay or not. That's probably safer than flat out saying it.

Pollyanna posted:

Holy poo poo, I’m the main point person on our push to kill off and split up an old legacy system and bring it into our newer stuff, and I am loving it up so badly. Every time I think we’ve accomplished a new milestone some new insight on how the legacy system works or some data relation is clarified and I have to interview/meet with people to determine if what I’ve got is actually what they expect or if I need to change it up. I feel like I’m stumbling over so much poo poo in the way of doing the work. :suicide: Am I bad at my job?

These are the trials and tribulations of a code archaeologist. Don't be concerned too much about this or you'll get stuck in "version 2.0" syndrome where your constant churn of newer and better ideas to solve what you just solved keep you from ever finishing. It's quite likely that it would take more than one refactor to be able to clean up everything anyways. If it was a giant ball of yarn before you started, the first refactor would just be to split it up into a few major areas so you can at least step back and think about it coherently. That's okay.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I spent a year at my last job doing this kinda thing and it is really hard to get right.
We spent an entire year and several million dollars before it was decided just to scrap the whole thing and live with the legacy system. In that time we delivered nothing of value.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Did the previous dev/company create and maintain a reasonable level of documentation stored in an accessible place? (They probably did not, and you are fine. Provide feedback to the client to this effect and try to get a buy in on documenting the new poo poo better.)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Pollyanna posted:

Am I bad at my job?

Nope this is pretty normal for legacy code

Hell, it's pretty normal for code that you just haven't seen before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!