Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

e.martin posted:

The PBS Ken Burn's documentary is on Netflix. Highly recommend it.

Which one? He's made...quite a few for PBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Nihonniboku posted:

And it's still the only good Jurassic Park movie. But good god, is it a wonderful movie that still holds up.

The Lost World owns

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
the award for Big-Time Garbage Crap Movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Remember that part where Peter Stormare gets eaten by a swarm of the same dinosaur he zapped, yeah what a lovely movie, who could possibly enjoy such wanton looney tune carnage

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Little late to the "shows that hold up through their whole run" discussion, but I'd argue that (excluding the rather rough first season) Parks and Recreation manages to be solid until the fantastic finale. I think the fact that they had the characters actually grow throughout the show helped, as did the season seven time-skip gimmick that managed to keep things just fresh enough to the finish line.

I also like the finale's little callback to the first episode-- the drunk that Leslie shoos out of the playground slide in the pilot is the same man who comes into the office at the finale, apparently with his life cleaned up, asking for them to repair a swing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jose Oquendo posted:

Which one? He's made...quite a few for PBS.

It's a 15 hour thing about Ken Burn's boring life told as dramatically as possible.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a 15 hour thing about Ken Burn's boring life told as dramatically as possible.
One man’s quest to make as many films about American exceptionalism as possible.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
The Lost World has some good moments, but it's not a good movie as a whole. None of the characters are relatable except for audience surrogate Ian Malcolm, and he has zero character arc to follow. The villains are 1 dimensional stock characters or mooks (although Pete Postlethwaite tries his damndest to elevate what little he's given, like all good British actors). The Raptors, who were the source of all of the suspense in the second half of the first film, just show up at the end of the second act with no build up, and barely frighten our protagonists until one gets killed by preteen gymnastics, then are never seen again. And the climax is a mindless spectacle devoid of tension or suspense, and not even a well done spectacle at that.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I just didn't like Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter, I'm a fan of just about everyone involved in the movie too. The only time I laughed was when Danny McBride was mumbling random poo poo on the air mattress near the end.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Field Mousepad posted:

I just didn't like Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter, I'm a fan of just about everyone involved in the movie too. The only time I laughed was when Danny McBride was mumbling random poo poo on the air mattress near the end.

I was a little disappointed. It had funny moments, but they were too few and far between.

My favorite scene was McBride showing polariods of his wife's black gangbang to a 12 year old kid.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I was a little disappointed. It had funny moments, but they were too few and far between.

My favorite scene was McBride showing polariods of his wife's black gangbang to a 12 year old kid.

And THAT would be the exact moment my teenage boy comes down to join me and the wife to see what we're laughing so hard at.

I mean. Dammit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Teddybear posted:

Little late to the "shows that hold up through their whole run" discussion, but I'd argue that (excluding the rather rough first season) Parks and Recreation manages to be solid until the fantastic finale. I think the fact that they had the characters actually grow throughout the show helped, as did the season seven time-skip gimmick that managed to keep things just fresh enough to the finish line.

I also like the finale's little callback to the first episode-- the drunk that Leslie shoos out of the playground slide in the pilot is the same man who comes into the office at the finale, apparently with his life cleaned up, asking for them to repair a swing.

Season 6 was a bit iffy at times. And the arc where Ann and Tom are dating, but that’s because I hate Tom and that bit was him at his most obnoxious.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

As much as I love Parks & Rec, it's so hard for me to binge watch because Aziz Ansari is a complete non-starter for me and Tom is just the most obnoxious character ever seen on television not named Ross Geller.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

He gets worse in every rewatch too because you can anticipate every cringey Tom thing he does

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

long boring documentary about THE long boring documentarian? cheesy pete, the snake has officially et its own tail.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

e.martin posted:

The PBS Ken Burn's documentary is on Netflix. Highly recommend it.

I’m able to be slowly getting through Vietnam, 15-20 minutes at a time before bed because there are actual people still alive to interview and there’s real footage of the war even in color! The Civil War one on the other hand should be outlawed by the geneva convention as a weapon of intentional cruelty.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ken Burns, a film by Werner Herzog

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tweet my meat posted:

Ken Burns, a film by Werner Herzog

Hell, I'd watch it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ken Burns works a lot better with interviews. The clinical dissection of the various events of vietnam is punctuated by incredibly human stories as told by the people who were there and it makes for a good rhythm.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

deoju posted:

The original Jurassic Park is on Netflix. I watched it for the first time since VHS tonight. Holy poo poo, it's drat near a perfect movie. There's hardly a shot or a line that doesn't push the story or the action forward. Some of the SFX don't look so hot anymore, but still I got goosebumps when you see the brontosaurus for the first time.

It's so good that it really amplifies how loving bad the new ones are.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hell even The Lost World is a lot better than I remembered.

JP3 is still made of rear end and poop

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
rear end at least has meat

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

This is down to personal taste because a lot of us think the Ken Burns Civil War documentary is :discourse:

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Throwing in another vote to check out Ken Burns's Vietnam doc. I've been treating it as a big, 18 hour movie and watching it in 45 minute chunks. I have the last two episodes to watch.

I think some of the early reviews in this thread were bummed at the way it glosses over certain historical points. This is most apparent in the first couple episodes which operate like a really well written Wikipedia article synced up with archival footage. But as it finds its rhythm in the middle section, leaning more on talking head interviews, the series strikes an amazing balance between anecdote and historical context. They've also mined an enormous amount of color film footage and cut it together in clever ways to create a sense of place that we're used to only seeing in fictional movies.

As a child of boomers and a military family I felt very familiar with all the "plot" parts, but was surprised how absorbing it was to follow the conflict month by month. Events like the riots at the DNC, Nixon's election and call to the "silent majority", and the Kent state shootings land with more weight than I expected.

I think the whole project is a very fine representation of a very complicated conflict and surprisingly emotional, especially as you follow various interviewees through the entirety of the war. It's still astounding how eerily familiar our mistakes in Iraq and Afghanistan are when placed up against the Vietnam war.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

JP3 is still made of rear end and poop

JP3 is quite literally made up of scenes from the first two books that didn't make the first two movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve always liked JP3 :shrug:

It’s undeniably a bad movie, but at least it’s a bad horror movie with dinosaurs instead of a generic action movie with dinosaurs like all the other sequels.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

3 has such distractingly bad CGI

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

JP3 is quite literally made up of scenes from the first two books that didn't make the first two movies.

I did not know that, and am somehow not at all surprised.

I do know that Crichton didn't even plan on writing a second book until they said they were making a movie, haha.

veni veni veni posted:

3 has such distractingly bad CGI

Yeah this.

Talking of "bad movies that are also kind of good", Get Smart is on Netflix.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Zwabu posted:

This is down to personal taste because a lot of us think the Ken Burns Civil War documentary is :discourse:

I have to concede this point, because I think my version of Ken Burns documentaries is glance-watching hours upon hours of The Computer Chronicles on Youtube, which definitely qualifies as someone's hell.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Buckaroo Banzai and Sneakers made it to Amazon Prime! Two movies I always try to watch when they show up on streaming.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Small Town Crime is good. I am a monster fan of John Hawkes and it’s a really solid neo-noir private eye film.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

volts5000 posted:

Buckaroo Banzai and Sneakers made it to Amazon Prime! Two movies I always try to watch when they show up on streaming.

I haven't watched Sneakers since it was in theaters, might be time for a rewatch!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

precision posted:

Talking of "bad movies that are also kind of good", Get Smart is on Netflix.

I went on a first date to that one. That's really the only thing I remember about it.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Sneakers isn't, like, amazing, but it's very light and charming and worth a watch. A real weekend afternoon sort of movie.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

red19fire posted:

Small Town Crime is good. I am a monster fan of John Hawkes and it’s a really solid neo-noir private eye film.

I was surprised by how much I liked it. Thought it was a series at first.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sneakers isn't, like, amazing, but it's very light and charming and worth a watch. A real weekend afternoon sort of movie.

I really love that movie. Just came out at the right time for a young nerd like myself. I still laugh at "Ummm I want her phone number"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's a great movie with an all-star cast having fun. What's not to love. The sequence where the blind dude recreates where he went while kidnapped using what he heard was awesome.

my voice is my passport.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's a great movie with an all-star cast having fun. What's not to love. The sequence where the blind dude recreates where he went while kidnapped using what he heard was awesome.

my voice is my passport.

I knew I had seen Sneakers before, and now I remember which movie it was. For some reason the fact that the blind dude is reading Playboy has been burned in my mind for decades.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I was surprised by how much I liked it. Thought it was a series at first.
I've been checking out a podcast called Small Town Crime and I always thought this was an extension of that, somehow. Checking the movie out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I posted about Small Town Crime a while back when it was first on Netflix.

It's not bad, but I had a hard time with the way some of the violence was presented. In particular there's one bit towards the end that just seemed totally unnecessary and gross. As if the director wanted to be the Coen Bros but the violence in Coen Bros films are always at least related to the plot. There was no reason why the movie needed a scene where a guys entire jaw is dangling off his face in ragged pieces before the main character strolls up and executes him. There was absolutely nothing about that which moved the plot forward or furthered the movie's themes in any way.