Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Pick posted:

Actually, it is because in the future middle easterners are still considered more suspicious than Cardassians

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MA-Horus posted:

I kinda like how Ezri was assigned to DS9. It speaks to a wartime expediency.

"Listen I know it's a Trill faux-pax to integrate a new host back where the old one lived and worked but you people desperately need therapy and well there's a war on have you SEEN how many Miranda-class ships we've lost?"

No, I'm pretty sure the unplanned joining hosed her up beyond starfleet's ability to fix. The Trill couldn't fix her either, they just threw up their hands and went "better luck next life, Dax". She wasn't even finished her practicum training, but she wasn't fit to continue. She wasn't stable enough to be a councillor.

Sending her to DS9 was a last hail mary option before giving her a medical discharge. Maybe being back on DS9 will stabilize the Dax part of the pair, and from there Dax will be able to become the dominant partner and smooth things out. Starfleet would be perfectly happy to allow them to become Jadzia 2.0. That isn't how trill usually do it, but the trill don't know what the gently caress to do either.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Facebook Aunt posted:

No, I'm pretty sure the unplanned joining hosed her up beyond starfleet's ability to fix. The Trill couldn't fix her either, they just threw up their hands and went "better luck next life, Dax". She wasn't even finished her practicum training, but she wasn't fit to continue. She wasn't stable enough to be a councillor.

Sending her to DS9 was a last hail mary option before giving her a medical discharge. Maybe being back on DS9 will stabilize the Dax part of the pair, and from there Dax will be able to become the dominant partner and smooth things out. Starfleet would be perfectly happy to allow them to become Jadzia 2.0. That isn't how trill usually do it, but the trill don't know what the gently caress to do either.

A missed opportunity to have Ezri reject the Joining and say "No, if I join with that thing Ezri Teegan will cease to exist and be replaced by a different person. Everyone who insists that I go through with this procedure is arguing that Ezri Dax matters more than Ezri Teegan, and I have the right to not commit suicide."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cythereal posted:

A missed opportunity to have Ezri reject the Joining and say "No, if I join with that thing Ezri Teegan will cease to exist and be replaced by a different person. Everyone who insists that I go through with this procedure is arguing that Ezri Dax matters more than Ezri Teegan, and I have the right to not commit suicide."

This would cause Janeway and Voyager to spontaneously materialize the alpha quadrant, where she would order the doctor to transport Dax directly into Ezri's pouch. The doctor would refuse so she'd do it herself, then fly directly into the wormhole. The prophets would reroute her the Delta quadrant, but the crew would celebrate because this reroute cut one month off their 80 year trip.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah that's true. So that's two reasons to exist. Did Jadzia have that many in 6 seasons previously? She facilitated making Kurzon-Odo.

No. Jadzia was a horribly written character from the start; she began as a old person in a horny young body that Bashir badly wanted to nail, which got old pretty quickly. Then she was just the spunky young know-it-all science officer doubling as Sisko's mentor, which got equally old. Then Worf comes along, and her role for the next three seasons was basically split between "Worf's love interest" and "calls out damage reports on DS9 / the Defiant." I mean, even if Rick Berman hadn't been harassing the everloving poo poo out of her in the first place I don't blame Farrell for asking to be part-time for the seventh season, because the role was just so, so, so empty.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's a shame that Jadzia and Kira's relationship is basically "hang out in a spa once", there was a lot of meat to where that could have gone

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
Maybe trill are just a terrible concept altogether. While I liked Jhadzia, I didn't like the "girl time" moments in ops with Kira.
"I remember when blah blah did a thing"
"Who?"
"a previous host who was more interesting and adventurous than myself, but I can smirk at how impressed and shocked everyone is listening to a 200 year old sex story that's not really mine".

Edit cause pick makes a point:
You're completely correct that they could have written in a truly strong friendship. But the writers seemed to have decided that Odo needed to slam the sexy crinkle nose.

ramenpower fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 12, 2018

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
No wait, I found it, the second good thing Jadzia added to DS9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPNCaRZf2IM

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I have to admit there's also the part of me that will never find it not-lame that Trill don't even have forehead ridges, just those itty bitty lame spots.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Timby posted:

No. Jadzia was a horribly written character from the start; she began as a old person in a horny young body that Bashir badly wanted to nail, which got old pretty quickly. Then she was just the spunky young know-it-all science officer doubling as Sisko's mentor, which got equally old. Then Worf comes along, and her role for the next three seasons was basically split between "Worf's love interest" and "calls out damage reports on DS9 / the Defiant." I mean, even if Rick Berman hadn't been harassing the everloving poo poo out of her in the first place I don't blame Farrell for asking to be part-time for the seventh season, because the role was just so, so, so empty.

I heard that Farrell wanted more money, and when she didn't get it, so went off to do a sitcom with Ted Danson and did the same thing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The General posted:

I heard that Farrell wanted more money, and when she didn't get it, so went off to do a sitcom with Ted Danson and did the same thing.

Good for her.

Also she got to marry Leonard Nimoy's son so she must be pretty fuckin cool.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The General posted:

She asked to do thirteen episodes in the seventh season, noting to Berman that at that point of DS9's run, there were so, so, so many characters that it's not like she'd be missed if she weren't there for half of them, and that was not like Jadzia had been particularly important to the show's arc at that point. Berman refused, then told Ira Behr that Farrell said she'd quit unless she got a massive pay raise, never mentioning that she had requested to go part-time. Behr later said that if he had known the truth, Jadzia never would have been whacked.

With Becker, that was a whole different thing, because she and Danson reportedly hated each other.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Timby posted:

She asked to do thirteen episodes in the seventh season, noting to Berman that at that point of DS9's run, there were so, so, so many characters that it's not like she'd be missed if she weren't there for half of them, and that was not like Jadzia had been particularly important to the show's arc at that point. Berman refused, then told Ira Behr that Farrell said she'd quit unless she got a massive pay raise, never mentioning that she had requested to go part-time. Behr later said that if he had known the truth, Jadzia never would have been whacked.

With Becker, that was a whole different thing, because she and Danson reportedly hated each other.

Rick Berman is a garbage person. I didn't know that about Terry Farrell. Personally, I hated Jadzia and liked Ezra, so I thought it was a good switch. However, part of that is just my boner talking because I had a huge crush on Nicole de Boer (and I loved her Outer Limits episode, "Quality of Mercy").

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cythereal posted:

If the episode with her family is any indication maybe she was down with that.

Temper Trudeau posted:

Maybe trill are just a terrible concept altogether. While I liked Jhadzia, I didn't like the "girl time" moments in ops with Kira.
"I remember when blah blah did a thing"
"Who?"
"a previous host who was more interesting and adventurous than myself, but I can smirk at how impressed and shocked everyone is listening to a 200 year old sex story that's not really mine".

Edit cause pick makes a point:
You're completely correct that they could have written in a truly strong friendship. But the writers seemed to have decided that Odo needed to slam the sexy crinkle nose.

It was pretty funny when they came out the holodeck dressed as princesses and Kira as Guinevere had punched Lancelot on the nose.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Timby posted:

I could believe that. IIRC Berman told Wheaton that no he couldn't have any time off from TNG because Wesley was super important for a couple upcoming episodes. Then just had Wil sit there doing nothing instead of doing something cool, like making a movie. Serious bitch move, I don't think I've heard anybody ever say anything nice about Berman.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If “something” happened because of “money” it probably came out of Berman’s mouth and was probably half-true at best.

Edit like yeah, the Wesley thing. If Wheaton goes and becomes even a mildly bigger name they’d have to pay him more at some point. Best to just gently caress him over.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 12, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The General posted:

I could believe that. IIRC Berman told Wheaton that no he couldn't have any time off from TNG because Wesley was super important for a couple upcoming episodes. Then just had Wil sit there doing nothing instead of doing something cool, like making a movie. Serious bitch move, I don't think I've heard anybody ever say anything nice about Berman.

Berman did some good things, like installing Michael Piller as the head of TNG when he took over the show after Paramount realized that Roddenberry was just completely out of his gourd, and he had the presence of mind to talk with Genevieve Bujold when it was clear that Bujold wasn't up to 14-hour shooting days on Voyager, but, yeah, he's generally a piece of poo poo.

Brent Spiner loving loved the guy, though, because Spiner never had any loyalty to Trek and was always happy to extort him for as much money as possible to sign on for another season of TNG or another movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I'm one of those people who liked the Roddenberry TNG better. Dude brought us Q, the Crystalline Entity, Skin of Evil, and the Conspiracy episodes. However, I grew up on TOS. Berman's run felt like they lost some of the magic and wonder, and started getting more Piller Filler technobabble.

That being said, both Roddenberry and Berman were huge pieces of poo poo who cared mostly about money.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm one of those people who liked the Roddenberry TNG better. Dude brought us Q, the Crystalline Entity, Skin of Evil, and the Conspiracy episodes.

Much of that stuff is far more directly attributable to David Gerrold, Eddie Milkis, Bob Justman and Tracy Tormé.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Timby posted:

Much of that stuff is far more directly attributable to David Gerrold, Eddie Milkis, Bob Justman and Tracy Tormé.

Encounter at Farpoint is written by Gene Roddenberry and D.C. Fontana, and that gave us the birth of Q. There's a reason why that episode feels like TOS instead of late state TNG.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was pretty funny when they came out the holodeck dressed as princesses and Kira as Guinevere had punched Lancelot on the nose.

That was when Worf showed up, right?
Sure they alluded to a strong friendship between Jhadzia and Kira but we don't see the building of that relationship beyond small gossip scenes like "You're loving a dude with a transparent skull?!?".
Ezri was like a pre-academy Nog replacement.

I didn't know at all about the behind the scenes fuckery. I haven't heard anything nice said about Berman either.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, there were a cubic fuckton of one-off q-ish characters in tos.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Also, I realize I'm a weirdo who likes Roddenberry TNG and TMP. Don't mind me and my bad opinions on entertainment. However, I just want to emphasize that Berman is a piece of poo poo who is interested in rewriting history to make it sound like he was Roddenberry's heir apparent rather than a studio watchdog.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogus Adventure posted:

That being said, both Roddenberry and Berman were huge pieces of poo poo who cared mostly about money.
There's no way that Roddenberry spent more time thinking about money than alien dicks.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bogus Adventure posted:

Encounter at Farpoint is written by Gene Roddenberry and D.C. Fontana, and that gave us the birth of Q. There's a reason why that episode feels like TOS instead of late state TNG.

That's what the credits say, but ol' Gene honestly wasn't up to writing much of anything even as early as 1987. Most of what was written "by Gene Roddenberry" was very likely actually the product of his lawyer Leonard Maizlish, and Gene leaned so heavily on David Gerrold for the TNG writers' bible that when Gerrold finally had enough and left Paramount, the studio wound up paying him a substantial sum of money to settle a lawsuit that could have seen him winning a permanent co-creator credit on TNG.

naem
May 29, 2011

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's what the credits say, but ol' Gene honestly wasn't up to writing much of anything even as early as 1987. Most of what was written "by Gene Roddenberry" was very likely actually the product of his lawyer Leonard Maizlish, and Gene leaned so heavily on David Gerrold for the TNG writers' bible that when Gerrold finally had enough and left Paramount, the studio wound up paying him a substantial sum of money to settle a lawsuit that could have seen him winning a permanent co-creator credit on TNG.

Fair dues. However, Gerrold is also a TOS vet, and it also has D.C. Fontana was another one of the powerhouses of TOS episodes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Temper Trudeau posted:

That was when Worf showed up, right?

Yes it was. One thing I actually like is the inferred holoprogram usage in DS9. Unlike Voyager where it just "well we played in the Holodeck once, wasn't it fun this thing we inferred?" you get an implied sense of regularity from the cast of DS9. Bashir and O'Brien have been at the WWI aviation program so often that Quark's got beers ready to go and knows exactly what they're talking about when they pop out for a break, and even Odo's apparently tagged along once or twice. RIP Clive. Not to mention you actually see them playing it again in several episodes rather than just a once-off-and-forgotten character trait.

Or hel,l just the Dartboard stuck up in Quark's actually getting regular use from a wide variety of characters throughout the show's run.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I love these toys, and I still have tupperware tubs of them from my childhood.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
What the gently caress happened to Pulaski? She was cool.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Budgie Jumping posted:

Gates McFadden begged for her job back?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bogus Adventure posted:

Gates McFadden begged for her job back?

I thought it was more "we fired Roddenberry, please come back"?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

So, despite being a massive trekkie when I was younger, and still generally interested, apparently I never came across any of these stories of drama on the sets. Berman harassing Farrell, the "both Roddenberry and Berman were huge pieces of poo poo who cared mostly about money" thing, etc. Is this stuff just generally well known now, any articles about what happened during these series run, anything like that?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Temper Trudeau posted:

Does not own:
Cassidy Yates.
Killing off Gowron. (I understand it was necessary but Gowron was a good character once.)
Section 31.
Ezri Dax.
Eddington.

No all of those were fine.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I take it back, it was Maurice Hurley who fired her and then the TNG group asked for her to come back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Hurley

The only thing I ever remembered was her being unceremoniously fired.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Maurice Hurley, actually. He’s the reason she left in the first place.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

rafikki posted:

So, despite being a massive trekkie when I was younger, and still generally interested, apparently I never came across any of these stories of drama on the sets. Berman harassing Farrell, the "both Roddenberry and Berman were huge pieces of poo poo who cared mostly about money" thing, etc. Is this stuff just generally well known now, any articles about what happened during these series run, anything like that?

I was in the same boat, tbqh. I grew up on TOS reruns and then TNG debuted when I was 5 years old. I was sad when Tasha Yar was killed, and had no idea why Dr. Crusher was suddenly replaced by Data-hating Dr. Pulaski. I only really started learning this poo poo when the Internet became a thing, and then it killed a lot of the magic and nostalgia for me. :negative:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Budgie Jumping posted:

Maurice Hurley hosed off

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
A good source of BTS drama stories are the 50 Year Mission books. They’re oral histories from cast and crew who aren’t always 100% candid, but it’s usually pretty easy to read between the lines.

Marina Sirtis and Robert Beltran don’t pull any punches in it though, and their stories are among the most scathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless