Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Thoguh posted:

So they used the same terminology as an existing framework but arbitrarily and confusingly redefined the terms?

yeah its pretty dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

The Nastier Nate posted:

Dunno about clown street gangs, but clown revolutionaries aren't far off.

I;m talking about juggalos

They are registered as a gang by federal law enforcement

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

theres not a lot of point to 3d-printing a gun when anyone in america can just go to the gun store and buy one, that works a lot better than one made of plastic, and is also way cheaper than buying a 3d printer

even independent of that, if you are someone legally restricted from buying a gun, and those restrictions are actually working, guns are dirt simple and you can make a submachine gun for like ten dollars from stuff you can buy at the local Ace Hardware.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

We're a ways off from consumer grade 3D printers that can make a useful breech and barrel, fully 3D printed guns are a joke, and you can already manufactur AK47s out of scrap metal and hand tools

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
3d printed hand exploder

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Wheeee posted:

We're a ways off from consumer grade 3D printers that can make a useful breech and barrel, fully 3D printed guns are a joke, and you can already manufactur AK47s out of scrap metal and hand tools

this is a bit deceptive because it's easy to make a lovely gun but it's very hard to make a decent one iirc- rifling alone is a bitch.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

That's true but again, 3D printing is nowhere near making a good barrel either. You can also make decent barrels with a simple lathe and a little training, it's pretty basic fabrication, especially for something with the expected accuracy of an AK

Like, if there were a bunch of people just itching to make their own guns off the grid they already could, but nobody actually wants poo poo quality homemade guns

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Wheeee posted:

That's true but again, 3D printing is nowhere near making a good barrel either. You can also make decent barrels with a simple lathe and a little training, it's pretty basic fabrication, especially for something with the expected accuracy of an AK

Like, if there were a bunch of people just itching to make their own guns off the grid they already could, but nobody actually wants poo poo quality homemade guns

And none of these losers could make smokeless powder if we took their ammo

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

MizPiz posted:

They are registered as a gang by federal law enforcement

Since that kind of thing is entirely arbitrary, it'll be fun seeing a foxnews muppet convince trump to make sessionsDOJ label democrats a criminal organization and start investigating them, forgetting that they need dems to use as a punching bag (and for keeping leftists/progressives marginalized)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1016805226735702019

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Wheeee posted:

just hit them with a round from a slamfire while they're busy waiting for their gun to print

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

They're gonna take some hollywood liberties and make elon musk the savior

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Shear Modulus posted:

its gonna be a race between the white billionaire and the actual people there to save the kids and they get angry at each other (of course the people who live there have to do it the "old fashioned" way) but finally set aside their differences and save the kids together

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
also the kids are somehow white in the movie

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Shear Modulus posted:

Lmao if you think it won't be a dramatic race against time with cutaways between Thai US SEALs and the brave captain of industry's plucky team of off-kilter engineers building the kidsub

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I can even see them getting the actual Elon to reprise the role. Film ends with Elon giving an approving nod to the rescuers.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

also the kids are somehow white in the movie

Also it's now set in America.

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
my insurance just sent me this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How are virtual visits cheaper?

The alternative is I get myself to the doctor’s office and sit in the waiting room.

I guess they save marginally on waiting room real estate, but the doctor’s time is the big cost, and my visit is occupying the same amount of that either way, right?

So are they scrimping by offshoring doctor or what?

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
the doctors are either newly licensed and paid relatively little or it's doctors doing it on the side

they probably offer other incentives to doctors who do it as well

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

they are certainly cheaper to do since you cant really do any sort of examination over a web chat

i also recall reading at some point that webchat appoints have substantially higher rates of prescriptions being issued so i wouldnt be surprised if part of their business appeal is how they dovetail with the painkiller overprescription racket

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shear Modulus posted:

they are certainly cheaper to do since you cant really do any sort of examination over a web chat

i also recall reading at some point that webchat appoints have substantially higher rates of prescriptions being issued so i wouldnt be surprised if part of their business appeal is how they dovetail with the painkiller overprescription racket

So the idea is that instead of “well let’s take a look at you” (= time consuming and expensive) they go “take these pills and call me if you don’t drop get better or drop dead”.

Got it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's some good news (!)

Battling Fake Accounts, Twitter to Slash Millions of Followers

quote:

The reform takes aim at a pervasive form of social media fraud. Many users have inflated their followers on Twitter or other services with automated or fake accounts, buying the appearance of social influence to bolster their political activism, business endeavors or entertainment careers. Twitter's decision will have an immediate impact: Beginning on Thursday, many users, including those who have bought fake followers and any others who are followed by suspicious accounts, will see their follower numbers fall. While Twitter declined to provide an exact number of affected users, the company said it would strip tens of millions of questionable accounts from users' followers.

Oh man, tomorrow's going to be so fun

What politician do you think has the highest number of fake-followers?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Platystemon posted:

How are virtual visits cheaper?

The alternative is I get myself to the doctor’s office and sit in the waiting room.

I guess they save marginally on waiting room real estate, but the doctor’s time is the big cost, and my visit is occupying the same amount of that either way, right?

So are they scrimping by offshoring doctor or what?

the doctor's actually an insurance adjuster looking for reasons to cancel your policy

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

:thunk:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

wish youtube would do this too but that would probably gently caress with their revenue system

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Darkman Fanpage posted:

wish youtube would do this too but that would probably gently caress with their revenue system

it’s gonna gently caress with twitters viability too which is why it won’t actually happen

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

battling fake accounts make numbers go down when they’d rather those numbers go up so it’s not really going to happen except in some phony PR sense

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Rated PG-34 posted:

battling fake accounts make numbers go down when they’d rather those numbers go up so it’s not really going to happen except in some phony PR sense

people are worried and annoyed they dont have a lot of legit accounts so they're gonna delete like three accounts on average per person and like 50 off trump so they look good.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

its loving obviously trump

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/buzzfeednews/status/1017169838018478081?s=21

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Malls in California are sending license plate information to ICE
http://theweek.com/speedreads/784128/malls-california-are-sending-license-plate-information-ice

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
lol they hate their customers

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

lol they hate their customers

capitalism must always strive to destroy itself

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Platystemon posted:

So the idea is that instead of “well let’s take a look at you” (= time consuming and expensive) they go “take these pills and call me if you don’t drop get better or drop dead”.

Got it.

if the telehealth doctor finds anything wrong with you, they can't actually do anything about it except write you a prescription or tell you to go to the emergency room

on the flip side, anyone with a problem that they know is serious is already going to go to a real doctor, so it's unlikely that the telehealth doctors are going to have to deal with serious problems

the reason virtual doctoring is being pushed so hard is probably because it's more convenient, and people are therefore more likely to use it for minor worries that they might otherwise have ignored. much like "free diagnostic visits" that turn into regular full-charge visits if the doctor finds anything wrong, it's a loss leader to get people who aren't really feeling bad in front of a doctor so that the doctor can look for an excuse to sell them more medical services. as shear modulus said, studies suggest that telehealth appointments have a far higher rate of follow-up medical care (drugs or further doctor visits) than regular doctors visits

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
In Mexico, which has almost-universal health care, people still self-diagnosed and self-medicated a lot, especially with antibiotics. This was obviously bad, so they made it so you needed a prescription to buy antibiotics. However, this was also a big source of income for drug stores, so what the main chains did is they have free or extremely cheap doctors (think 1-2 dollars), generally brought in from more rural states, in a room next to the entrance that will generally write you a prescription for almost anything. It's actually pretty convenient when you have things that aren't too serious, like a bad cold, diarrhea or soreness, but obviously not something you go to if you've got a broken arm or anything. I don't see many lines to see them though, so I'm not sure how big an impact they have.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/HumansOfLate/status/1017755232829353984

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/RobertoPradoF/status/1017511809815900161

::installs 3D Color Xray machine for "security screening"::

"Tammy in Accounting is pregnant - fire her"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
there is a post on reddit on the first space:
- pro cop
- dozens of white noise comments like "aww" posted 41-43 minutes ago. no other comment block is that saturated to that degree. all of these are done with bought/new accounts.
- all of first wave of the upvotes happened in a group of 1000 almost exactly 42 minutes ago

there is an organization consistently elevating pro-cop propaganda to the front page of reddit. daily.