Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, you can also jack off and cum on someone's vulva and knock them up, so it's not even technically correct although masterbation isn't really abstinence.

The real answer is that abstinence can fail in the same sense that a condom can fail because human beings are not willpower golems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Is their answer medically incorrect?

abstinence has a lower success rate in preventing pregnancy, as actually practiced, than other forms of birth control do, as actually practiced

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ZpTyuaFW4&t=65s

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

evilweasel posted:

abstinence has a lower success rate in preventing pregnancy, as actually practiced, than other forms of birth control do, as actually practiced
But at that point you aren't abstaining any longer.

It's not the education they should be giving out, because odds and behavior do matter, but it *is* the medically correct answer.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ilkhan posted:

It's not the education they should be giving out, because odds and behavior do matter, but it *is* the medically correct answer.

it's not the medically correct answer, because looking at a theoretical construct rather than how humans actually behave is not a medically correct approach. it would be no more reasonable than to say that condoms are 100% effective, when used exactly properly and manufactured exactly properly.

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I get it, abstinence is to teen pregnancy as gun bans are to gun violence.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
*ahem* speaking as the expert, technically correct answers require a proper adherence to all precedential information and contextual elements.

There are a number of other 100% effective methods of birth control...such as abortion.

Wxhode posted:

1/10, need to build a persona before stamping on the gas like this. Also needs to provide sufficient complexity, ambiguity, or semantic content to draw in people to engage.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ilkhan posted:

No, not really. It's a matter of framing. "Abstinence always works" frames all other forms of birth control as failures of the method, but failures of abstinence as personal failures. Which is an ethical judgment, not a scientific measurement; the error rate on condoms is almost entirely user error also. All birth control failures are failures of the method.

A more medically accurate assessment would be to view "abstinence training" as a behavior protocol (along the lines of cognitive behavioral therapy interventions etc). And if you view "abstinence" that way, it fails a lot; the training doesn't hold.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

There are a number of other 100% effective methods of birth control...such as abortion.

Even that is like 99.99%. There are few documented cases of "abortion survivors" (usually twins where one twin got scooped out and the other remained).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ilkhan posted:

The medically correct answer takes human psychology and behavior into account.

That's why "just give everyone condoms" isn't the medically correct answer either, because although they are 99% effective if properly used that "if properly used" part is why their actual effectiveness is much lower and therefore birth control pills or IUDs are recommended along with condom use.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Most reliable method of birth control: nag teenagers to not gently caress
*teen pregnancy rates explode*

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's basically a boomer meme, like holding an aspirin between your knees. Like most "common sense solutions," it's utterly without value.

It's also goddamn insane that they're allowed to present it in schools. It'd be like a driver's education class that begins and ends with how to secure a bus pass.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You don't need seat belts, everyone just drive perfectly all the time and there will never be a problem, that's the medically correct solution to traffic accident injuries.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

moths posted:

It's basically a boomer meme, like holding an aspirin between your knees. Like most "common sense solutions," it's utterly without value.

It's also goddamn insane that they're allowed to present it in schools. It'd be like a driver's education class that begins and ends with how to secure a bus pass.

More like a driver's license test that begins with "you should never leave your home, here's how to look up services that ship all basic necessities to you when you order online."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

moths posted:

that driver's education course would lead to a lot less accidents, tbf

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
my plan relies on teens not being horny

it's a good plan

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No, not really. It's a matter of framing. "Abstinence always works" frames all other forms of birth control as failures of the method, but failures of abstinence as personal failures. Which is an ethical judgment, not a scientific measurement; the error rate on condoms is almost entirely user error also. All birth control failures are failures of the method.
Thus the difference between perfect use and actual use. As you say, perfect use condoms or pill are also almost 100% effective. Reality is a different number. Both numbers should be provided.

I'm not at all in favor of abstinence only education. Its bullshit. All the numbers should be provided.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ilkhan posted:

Thus the difference between perfect use and actual use. As you say, perfect use condoms or pill are also almost 100% effective. Reality is a different number. Both numbers should be provided.

I'm not at all in favor of abstinence only education. Its bullshit. All the numbers should be provided.

There is a zero percent chance of becoming infected with HIV, if your partner doesn't have HIV

Should we tell them this super-important number, along with the infection rate if he or she IS infected with HIV?

Giving misleading information to children is dumb.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ilkhan posted:

Public health science and medical policymaking doesn't abstract biology from society. We're beings living in a society and it is useless to look at humans in vacuum in those contexts.

"Drive carefully" vs "Wear a seatbelt"

Not a perfect metaphor--wearing a seatbelt is a part of driving safely--but imagine telling your kid to either drive paranoid and remain unprotected by a buckle or drive normally and wear a buckle. I'm hoping the difference is clear despite the imperfections of :iiaca:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 11, 2018

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Abstinence-only Sex Ed is such puritanical nonsense. I remember working with a guy who opposed teaching about condoms and birth control because "WE SHOULDN'T TEACH KIDS TO AVOID CONSEQUENCES OF IMMORAL BEHAVIOR" :what:

Wxhode posted:

:laffo:

Between this and whining about potentially paying for other's misfortune with UHC, you're really shaping up into an adorable little troll.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ilkhan posted:

They aren’t in med school.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
My favorite part of "abstinence only" is it usually comes from religious fundamentalists, particularly Christians, who believe that a virgin woman was impregnated by God.

It also ignores rape... though I guess someone who is raped should have just practiced abstinence harder?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The female body has ways to shut that whole thing down, if it's a legitimate rape of course (not if she's a lying skank)

E: or it was God's will to create that child so He had to arrange the rape to carry out the Divine Plan

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 11, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Devor posted:

Same-sex marriage?

You don't have to be married for homosexuality to be effective birth control :colbert:

Discendo Vox posted:

This is a good answer as well.

E: Lest we forget, Kavanaugh is a loving monster on abortion rights (for "illegals")

From his dissent that an undocumented minor has the right to seek abortion:

quote:

Kavanaugh wrote the Supreme Court has held that "the government has permissible interests in favoring fetal life, protecting the best interests of a minor, and refraining from facilitating abortion." He wrote that the high court has "held that the government may further those interests so long as it does not impose an undue burden on a woman seeking an abortion." He said the majority opinion was "based on a constitutional principle as novel as it is wrong: a new right for unlawful immigrant minors in US government detention to obtain immediate abortion on demand." He added, however, that "all parties to this case recognize Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey as precedents we must follow."

So, "Row v. Wade" is correct precedent, but immigrants only have a "new right" to abortion. Specifically, women have a "right" to abortion, but the state has a vested, valid interest in ensuring they can't get one. :rolleyes:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 11, 2018

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just looked it up and KY is tied for the #15 state with the highest rate of teen pregnancy in the country at 62/1000. The highest state NM, is 80/1000 while the best state, New Hampshire, is 28/1000.

Initially misread those numbers as being out of 100 and enjoyed a moment of idiotic knit-brow concern.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Raldikuk posted:

It also ignores rape... though I guess someone who is raped should have just practiced abstinence harder?

Usually what follows is: "She was asking for it"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
She had a beer, should have just drank water.

She had her soda spiked, should not have been at a party.

She was walking home from school, why was she alone in the middle of 8pm at night.

She was underaged and assaulted, she dated upwards of three individuals clearly a slut.

I think you finally get an end-of line when it's, like, She Was 7, but then again there were "I was 9 and my aunt/grandmother/mother knew and they resented me for it and hated me" so even then :smith:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

just give all teens forums accounts

problem solved

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Jesus loving christ, I saw 40 new posts in the SCOTUS thread and thought something exciting happened. Instead I feel like I'm back in 2002.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Kavanaugh has a gambling addiction*.

*bought $100k worth of "baseball tickets" on credit and had a 'friend' suddenly pay it off.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tibalt posted:

Kavanaugh has a gambling addiction*.

*bought $100k worth of "baseball tickets" on credit and had a 'friend' suddenly pay it off.

from an investigator standpoint it's always questionable when a long-term habit-incurred debt gets suddenly paid off even if it isn't strangely timed to coincide with talk about kennedy retiring

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Oh wow a Trump administration pick with bizarre and mysteriously incomplete financial disclosures somehow feels like non-news. That he went into credit card debt to buy tickets for all his friends, and got it paid off the year he could go onto the Supreme Court, now that's some funny business.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Oh wow a Trump administration pick with bizarre and mysteriously incomplete financial disclosures somehow feels like non-news. That he went into credit card debt to buy tickets for all his friends, and got it paid off the year he could go onto the Supreme Court, now that's some funny business.

I'm sure the Senate will ask the hard questions to ensure he is on the up-and-up

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So are all his assets hiding in an offshore account or does he really have about as many reportable assets as my broke 30 year old rear end, JFC

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I hope some senator calls him out and specifically tells him to have the statements sent directly from the banks.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The claim is that this was buying season tickets in bulk and then getting reimbursed from friends. Gotta get those reward dollars!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

ShadowHawk posted:

The claim is that this was buying season tickets in bulk and then getting reimbursed from friends. Gotta get those reward dollars!

Seems like the sort of thing that even the most basic paper trail should prove without a shadow of a doubt.

We're never going to find out, are we.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

ShadowHawk posted:

No, he was doing that old scam where you could use your air-miles credit card to order boxes of dollar coins from the US Mint with free shipping, then immediately taking the coins to the bank to deposit them and pay off the credit card except at some point he just forgot to take them to the bank and then the credit card companies caught onto it and stopped giving out miles.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OntGZN-W7SM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

*ahem* speaking as the expert, technically correct answers require a proper adherence to all precedential information and contextual elements.

Speaking in terms of technical accuracy, can abstinence even be classified as birth control at the outset? Isn't birth control by definition prevention of pregnancy as a result of sexual activity? Abstinence is the prevention of the sexual activity itself, which is not the same as prevention of pregnancy as the result of sexual activity. To use a car analogy, it's the difference between preventing crashes by never driving a car compared to for instance having functioning brakes. Never driving is non-participation which is not equivalent to crash prevention, and it would be absurd to conflate the two. Or like a dog preventing tax fraud by never delivering a tax return if we want to get really absurd - that's 100% effective too. No dog has ever been found guilty of tax fraud, but then again they are not participants either so we don't count that as preventing tax fraud.