Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

NoneMoreNegative posted:

1987 Chevrolet Blazer XT-1 concept

:cool:

i would not wear a seatbelt if i was driving this car

i'm sorry but increased chance of permanent injury and death are not strong enough arguments for ruining this amazing aesthetics with a seatbelt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i'm sorry but increased chance of permanent injury and death are not strong enough arguments for ruining this amazing aesthetics with a seatbelt

It might have had one of those ones from the 80s on a track.

What ever happened to those?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

What if it was a 4 point racing harness though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Schadenboner posted:

It might have had one of those ones from the 80s on a track.

What ever happened to those?

that was a late 80s through early 90s thing. They kept decapping kids because there wasn't a way to disable, so if you forgot about it, and your kid was just bopping around in the front seat, like we did in those days, welp

my '92 240sx had em and i loved them though.

they went away b/c airbags showed up

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jonny 290 posted:

that was a late 80s through early 90s thing. They kept decapping kids because there wasn't a way to disable, so if you forgot about it, and your kid was just bopping around in the front seat, like we did in those days, welp

my '92 240sx had em and i loved them though.

Couldn't you just undo the belt? I mean, it would just be down to a lap belt at that point but.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah definitely. the problem is that people forgot, and there weren't seat weight sensors in place back then, so you didn't get a loud rear end HEY IS THERE A CHILD IN THIS SEAT? IM NOT MOVING TILL YOU UNHOOK THE SHOULDER BELT reminder

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jonny 290 posted:

iirc the specific thing was that the NHTSA mandated "passive safety systems," i.e. some way of keeping vehicle passengers safe that didn't require them to do anything as cruel and unusual as buckling a seatbelt, but didn't specify what that was. some manufacturers started going with airbags, while others snorted another half key of coke and said "what if seatbelts went on by themselves??"

then later the NHTSA was like "no, this is really stupid, from now on it's just airbags" so the auto belts went away

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
tbf you've gotta design for the dumbest and most lazy people so that makes sense

a premise that i disagree with

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

iirc the specific thing was that the NHTSA mandated "passive safety systems," i.e. some way of keeping vehicle passengers safe that didn't require them to do anything as cruel and unusual as buckling a seatbelt, but didn't specify what that was. some manufacturers started going with airbags, while others snorted another half key of coke and said "what if seatbelts went on by themselves??"

then later the NHTSA was like "no, this is really stupid, from now on it's just airbags" so the auto belts went away
in the late 90s they used these: https://www.theonion.com/chrysler-halts-production-of-neckbelts-1819564298

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUut4krfnak

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

communism bitch posted:

What if it was a 4 point racing harness though

this would be acceptable

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Jonny 290 posted:

They kept decapping kids because there wasn't a way to disable, so if you forgot about it, and your kid was just bopping around in the front seat, like we did in those days, welp

metal.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
i know a few people irl who refuse to wear seatbelts as a point of pride, which somehow seems even dumber than the people who wont wear motorcycle helmets. the reason why is unknown, it's like the mysteries of some roman cult. i wont be surprised by their eventual greasy deaths.

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.

Roosevelt posted:

i know a few people irl who refuse to wear seatbelts as a point of pride, which somehow seems even dumber than the people who wont wear motorcycle helmets. the reason why is unknown, it's like the mysteries of some roman cult. i wont be surprised by their eventual greasy deaths.

this is entirely because they saw an anecdote somewhere of some person w/o a seat belt surviving a crash while still getting ejected or whatever while the other passengers who were wearing seatbelts died

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

i feel like a smartly designed over-the-shoulder (roller coaster style) restraint could really bring a lot to the table aesthetically and safety-wise

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

they're loving idiots op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bikers have to deal with this stupid rear end wrongtrope that if you get in any accident ever and are wearing a helmet, somehow it will snap your neck

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

bikers have to deal with this stupid rear end wrongtrope that if you get in any accident ever and are wearing a helmet, somehow it will snap your neck

lol oh no

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jonny 290 posted:

i have heard
- "it's so heavy that your head gets thrown around in a crash and that snaps your neck"
- "it sticks out and it'll get caught on the curb and potholes and things and that snaps your neck"
and my favorite,
- "your scalp slides on your skull like a sock to protect you from twisting motions so if you wear a helmet it prevents that motion and snaps your neck"

also the more specific "helmets with chin bars are more dangerous than open ones because you can't see out as well and avoid danger"

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
helmets and seat belts are for pussies

*head splats open like a melon at terminal velocity*

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
true story i ran into a tree whilst snowboarding many years ago, and while it cracked my orbital into pieces and gave me a contusion, if i wasnt wearing a helmet i would not be here to grace you with my posts today

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i loving love my helmet, it looks awesome and gives me a bit of confidence boost knowing that if i gently caress up, i have at least invested in a proper well-fitting snell certified full face helmet to keep the most debilitating and life-impacting of injuries somewhat at bay. atgatt rules b/c you look like a cyber dude and wont get degloved or schiavo'd in a 28mph wreck. i get especially upset at the Fat Dudes on Harleys that wear nothing, those big 280 lb motherfuckers oh man i dont wanna see what their corpulent frames do in an accident. like, why, dude. you're not getting laid on that thing either way

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Roosevelt posted:

true story i ran into a tree whilst snowboarding many years ago, and while it cracked my orbital into pieces and gave me a contusion, if i wasnt wearing a helmet i would not be here to grace you with my posts today

so are you arguing for or against helmets here?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
his name is roosevelt and he speaks for the trees

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Roosevelt posted:

SO, IN CONCLUSION, HELMETS ARE A LAND OF CONTRASTS. I HOPE YOU ENJOYED MY PRESENTATION AS MUCH AS MUCH AS I ENJOYED GIVING IT. SINCERELY, ROOSEVELT.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
the docs patched my head back together using futuristic tech that grafts metal to bone. im the most augmented cyberpunk poster itt :radcat:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Roosevelt posted:

the docs patched my head back together using futuristic tech that grafts metal to bone. im the most augmented cyberpunk poster itt :radcat:

What hell hath man wrought? Truly, this is technology gone mad.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
we can rebuild him, we have the technology, but why?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I was rooting for the tree.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
honestly we should all be wearing helmets in cars too

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

George posted:

honestly we should all be wearing helmets in cars too

surprisingly illegal in many places

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

surprisingly illegal in many places

not really surprising, cars are hard enough to see out of without a big ol' helmet weighing you down

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Jonny 290 posted:

i loving love my helmet, it looks awesome and gives me a bit of confidence boost knowing that if i gently caress up, i have at least invested in a proper well-fitting snell certified full face helmet to keep the most debilitating and life-impacting of injuries somewhat at bay. atgatt rules b/c you look like a cyber dude and wont get degloved or schiavo'd in a 28mph wreck. i get especially upset at the Fat Dudes on Harleys that wear nothing, those big 280 lb motherfuckers oh man i dont wanna see what their corpulent frames do in an accident. like, why, dude. you're not getting laid on that thing either way

there was a fat rear end squid idiot motherfucker today on this old garbage Katana that saw me, saw the 3 other lanes of traffic, ran the cross stop anyways as fast as he could and then brakeslammed so he could turn into his driveway for the 3rd house on the block

can you imagine dying 170 feet from your house because you couldnt wait four seconds

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Roosevelt posted:

My grafts are made of silicone and horse, and can be reprogrammed by bringing a powerful enough magnet close enough to my head.

I also design my wardrobe around not feeding any microphonics or static electricity into my spliced headphone cables, since I had to modify a set myself with the augment loving up the shape of my skull. Ain't no loving way I ain't hearing what's happening with my notifications.

I'm always gonna be ventilator dependent, but I want the rad Molly Millions lenses more than a boring integrated ventilator.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

endlessmonotony posted:

My grafts are made of silicone and horse, and can be reprogrammed by bringing a powerful enough magnet close enough to my head.

I also design my wardrobe around not feeding any microphonics or static electricity into my spliced headphone cables, since I had to modify a set myself with the augment loving up the shape of my skull. Ain't no loving way I ain't hearing what's happening with my notifications.

I'm always gonna be ventilator dependent, but I want the rad Molly Millions lenses more than a boring integrated ventilator.

my grandma had a pig valve

i'm fascinated and intrigued tell us all that you care to share <3, i know thats a bit of spectacle limelight but ive always been tremendously interested in the tech we use to make up for gaps in our lovely, idiot-designed bodies

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jonny 290 posted:

our lovely, idiot-designed bodies

Pratchett’s corollary to the title The Blind Watchmaker

quote:

Or, to put it another way, the existence of a badly put-together watch proved the existence of a blind watchmaker.
:mmmhmm:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
its gotta be a 4 point harness that goes on and tightens itself like the shoes in back to the future 2

Fredflonston
Jan 29, 2011

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

its gotta be a 4 point harness that goes on and tightens itself like the shoes in back to the future 2

I can already see myself having to release and re tighten at least once as I forget to stow various sensitive bits of my body that are not quite perfectly comfortable/smashed/sliced.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX4beZd1MBc

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Sagebrush posted:

Realistically these days you probably could get away with a yoke style steering wheel since we have electric power steering, which means you don't have to put any effort into turning the wheel and you could change the mapping according to your speed so you can still make a full lock turn with only 90 degrees of rotation while keeping fine control at high speeds

It would be a mindfuck at first though

BMW has actually done this with their Active Steering for about a decade now and its pretty much this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mtanji/status/1018159120631808001

• Locked thread