Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

codo27 posted:

Glad I started to actually learn and get into a bit now so I half know what I'm doing to start this season. Been playing on gfs xbox but cant wait to get home to my PC and cross play with them with my trusty m&kb like it should be.

So to clarify...theres really nothing to gain by buying the battlepass? I'm just too cheapoldschool to be bothered with loving skins and cosmetics in video games

Just to back up what others have said, I'm also usually completely untempted by buyable cosmetic things, but the Battlepass actually kind of feels like you're buying the full game after playing a demo.

Even if it's just cosmetic stuff you're unlocking, the challenges add a lot of fun to the game and give you more to feel good about when you're coming out of a non-win. Like, yeah I lost that gunfight in a really embarrassing manner, but at least I found two garden gnomes or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Fun fact: you can't be the worst teammate imaginable if you have the battlepass because at the very least you're giving everyone bonus xp.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

goferchan posted:

I feel like they changed it and for challenges you now get credit whether you're the one who knocks them down OR you're the one who actually executed them. Not 100% sure but I think I've gotten challenge credit from doing either combination of one or the other

Yup, it was in the patch notes a few versions ago.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Whoever here recommended the magic idling spot outside of Dusty, my stupid Omega lights thank you.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Seymour Buttz posted:

Just to back up what others have said, I'm also usually completely untempted by buyable cosmetic things, but the Battlepass actually kind of feels like you're buying the full game after playing a demo.

Even if it's just cosmetic stuff you're unlocking, the challenges add a lot of fun to the game and give you more to feel good about when you're coming out of a non-win. Like, yeah I lost that gunfight in a really embarrassing manner, but at least I found two garden gnomes or whatever.

Yeah it sounds so stupid but the challenges giving little meta-goals is really fun and honestly you can't beat the pass that buying a battle pass makes it totally trivial to earn the 1k v bucks to buy next season's pass if you're playing even semi-regularly. I balk at some of the shop skin prices but overall I have a ton of respect for Fortnite's monetization model -- they've managed to add compelling reasons to sink $10 into the game every few months that are 100% cosmetic and don't affect gameplay, plus there are zero lootboxes or randomization involved. They could have gotten greedy with this but they didn't -- also the only thing that's "limited time only" are the battle passes themselves so if you really want a skin in the shop but aren't sure you want to spend money on it you don't have that "buy now or never" pressure, it'll rotate back in within the month or so. If every f2p game followed Epic's model here we'd be in really loving good shape

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

goferchan posted:

Yeah it sounds so stupid but the challenges giving little meta-goals is really fun and honestly you can't beat the pass that buying a battle pass makes it totally trivial to earn the 1k v bucks to buy next season's pass if you're playing even semi-regularly. I balk at some of the shop skin prices but overall I have a ton of respect for Fortnite's monetization model -- they've managed to add compelling reasons to sink $10 into the game every few months that are 100% cosmetic and don't affect gameplay, plus there are zero lootboxes or randomization involved. They could have gotten greedy with this but they didn't -- also the only thing that's "limited time only" are the battle passes themselves so if you really want a skin in the shop but aren't sure you want to spend money on it you don't have that "buy now or never" pressure, it'll rotate back in within the month or so. If every f2p game followed Epic's model here we'd be in really loving good shape

Now look at the PVE end of the scale...
(Don't - it's horrible)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Kiranamos posted:

Whoever here recommended the magic idling spot outside of Dusty, my stupid Omega lights thank you.

Good to know it was useful! :)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

(Don't - it's horrible)

Is much less horrible now. You can literally get everything in the game just grinding.

——

Another way to do challenges on console are the snipers mode. Many people have a hard time killing people with them, so you can get away with a lot of abuse.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

The v.5 patch notes are live:

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v5-0

"After firing a shotgun, another shotgun cannot be fired for a very short time."

RIP double shotguns

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/DotEsportsLive/status/1017326680246030336

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

interpunct posted:

The v.5 patch notes are live:

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v5-0

"After firing a shotgun, another shotgun cannot be fired for a very short time."

RIP double shotguns

Good.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

The patch notes always fitted in a single reddit comment. The Save the World notes needed 3 comments to fit everything. :getin:

Most things looking great as well although I'm kinda worried about the lack of a proper lag fix. Unless I missed it (not a hard thing to do with the size of 'em).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nice, they’ve fixed XP problem in a decent enough way.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 12, 2018

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Servers are still down but the update downloaded.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

interpunct posted:

Servers are still down but the update downloaded.

Hell yeah, gimme Bluebeard McNoShirt already

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
"Get a speed boost after drifting."
:kingsley:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Oh holy gently caress

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Servers online. Clicked nearly instantly and got a 5 minute queue.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FauxLeather posted:

"Get a speed boost after drifting."
:kingsley:

Also, leaping karts when rear passengers lean back.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

the new battle pass gliders are really solid too lmao

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

The karts are so good I hope they never take them out.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Motion controls, yesss.

Fear my ~10% increase in lethality!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gently caress YEAH GYRO AIM!!!

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Gee, pa. The crackle added to moving through menus sure is annoying

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Nice change: from season 5 onwards the xp rewards (so carbide/Omega equivalents) can be unlocked over the lifetime of Fortnite. I’m not sure if you also get the axes that way, or if you need to get enough in the season to get those.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I need 5 stars to get the last tier I want and the only challenge left is 5 revives. I'll never get it.

Build a large ramp, make it look like you're going to drop a jump pad. Then figure out how to get to the bottom of said ramp, wait for your teammates to run up the ramp and shoot it out. There you go, now you got a few people dead and need reviving!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Good update.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fortnite finally has cars!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Seditiar posted:

The patch notes always fitted in a single reddit comment. The Save the World notes needed 3 comments to fit everything. :getin:

Most things looking great as well although I'm kinda worried about the lack of a proper lag fix. Unless I missed it (not a hard thing to do with the size of 'em).

Literally every Class in StW has just gotten straight buffs across the board. No idea if it's going to fix the Twine Peaks problem, but it's a welcome change.

DarkDobe posted:

(Don't - it's horrible)

It's still not good, but the addition of vBucks as a mission reward and events usually paying out $5-8 is slowly making it passable.

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

The gyro is definitely kind of jacked up.

When you zoom in with a scope it moves in a really chunky way. Like it's not smooth enough to make fine adjustments which is exactly what gyro should be used for. It works well for getting on target mid-range so I'm glad it's there, but sniping is where it should excel and it's really clunky there. Could be intentional I guess?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is the sensitivity adjustable?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is the sensitivity adjustable?

Yeah, there's separate sliders for general, ads, and scoped. It seemed alright for me this morning, was able to get some good hits in with a scoped ar.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Father Wendigo posted:

Literally every Class in StW has just gotten straight buffs across the board. No idea if it's going to fix the Twine Peaks problem, but it's a welcome change.

It's still not good, but the addition of vBucks as a mission reward and events usually paying out $5-8 is slowly making it passable.

Fix what TP problem? The lag is not as bad, but still horrible (at least hover turrets don't make it laggy anymore).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

And my power is out so I can't enjoy the new season... after I already rearranged work to have today off. :suicide:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How/where do I get to ride in the new kart?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Feenix posted:

I'd assume the golf course has some. That said, I've only looked at the new map and not actually played.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Feenix posted:

I think it's only in squad/50v50, but maybe I'm wrong. When I drove I found a bunch in Snobby garages, but I'm sure they're all over.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

And my power is out so I can't enjoy the new season... after I already rearranged work to have today off. :suicide:

Was about to look down on you and then I remembered when I took a week off work when Diablo 3 came out. MY CONTRACT WAS ALMOST UP AND I HAD TO USE THE HOLIDAYS SHUT UP

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The amount of people who simply ignore ammo bins is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Philthy posted:

The amount of people who simply ignore ammo bins is amazing.

It was even better before they made the tops yellow.