Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I appreciate how absolute and black and white Punisher is. Stories like his The End out Six Hours To Kill where his response to being put in a dilemma of "but now you can't kill me" is to kill them anyway. I'm positive that if you sat Frank down and managed to honestly convince him that what he was doing was wrong, he'd just say "oh okay" and shoot himself right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There was an interesting story where he inspired a bunch of copycats but they each had totally different targets and were generally not behaving. One guy was shooting up executives in boardrooms due to their unethical antics, one of them was a neo-nazi who was killing those he saw as bringing down the property values in his neighbourhood and I can't remember the last one. There was an interesting scene where the Punisher confronts the first one, and gives him a name that he is unfamiliar with - the name of a custodial worker in one of the offices he hit, who a stray bullet from his rampage hit after going through a wall. His sloppiness put her in a coma.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Perestroika posted:

That was also an rather off-putting thing in American Sniper, where the guy and his unit were proudly displaying the Punisher skull on their uniforms and vehicles, which they'd also done in real life. That was just 100% https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

Not just the army

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

I appreciate how absolute and black and white Punisher is. Stories like his The End out Six Hours To Kill where his response to being put in a dilemma of "but now you can't kill me" is to kill them anyway. I'm positive that if you sat Frank down and managed to honestly convince him that what he was doing was wrong, he'd just say "oh okay" and shoot himself right there.

At least the Punisher in the max comics is so far gone that he wouldn't be convinced by that. He already knows that what he's doing is wrong but he no longer cares.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I do like that it's pretty consistent how all the real heroes in Marvel hate the Punisher, especially the other street level New York guys like Spidey and Daredevil.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Aphrodite posted:

I do like that it's pretty consistent how all the real heroes in Marvel hate the Punisher, especially the other street level New York guys like Spidey and Daredevil.
Which is also the thing that makes me crazy about the Punisher. There's a scene on the mostly forgettable Dark Reign storyline where Bullseye, masquerading as one of the Avengers, encounters one of the literal hundreds of C-list superheroes who wander around the greater New York City area in the Marvel universe and gets his rear end summarily kicked because, ultimately, he's a guy with no actual superpowers in a world where real powers are absurdly common.

That is literally every single day of the regular continutiuy Punisher's life; there is no way he should be out of jail or alive at any given moment depending on whether the last person he encountered was Armadillo or The Beetle.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

NorgLyle posted:

Which is also the thing that makes me crazy about the Punisher. There's a scene on the mostly forgettable Dark Reign storyline where Bullseye, masquerading as one of the Avengers, encounters one of the literal hundreds of C-list superheroes who wander around the greater New York City area in the Marvel universe and gets his rear end summarily kicked because, ultimately, he's a guy with no actual superpowers in a world where real powers are absurdly common.

That is literally every single day of the regular continutiuy Punisher's life; there is no way he should be out of jail or alive at any given moment depending on whether the last person he encountered was Armadillo or The Beetle.

Realizing that you don't have to follow the rules is a superpower all it's own.

Which reminds me of the Malvo character in the Fargo TV series who essentially has superpowers because he just doesn't care about consequences and will straight up murder you. Also, always have a plan.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alhazred posted:

At least the Punisher in the max comics is so far gone that he wouldn't be convinced by that. He already knows that what he's doing is wrong but he no longer cares.

I liked the (as far as I'm aware) end of the line where Frank dies and that Nick Fury goes to his final hideout and after reading his war journals decide to burn everything because Frank was a Monster. Which is saying a lot because the Max Fury is also a monster albeit a different kind.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BioEnchanted posted:

There was an interesting story where he inspired a bunch of copycats but they each had totally different targets and were generally not behaving. One guy was shooting up executives in boardrooms due to their unethical antics, one of them was a neo-nazi who was killing those he saw as bringing down the property values in his neighbourhood and I can't remember the last one. There was an interesting scene where the Punisher confronts the first one, and gives him a name that he is unfamiliar with - the name of a custodial worker in one of the offices he hit, who a stray bullet from his rampage hit after going through a wall. His sloppiness put her in a coma.

The last one was a priest killing the unrighteous, IIRC.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Let us not forget the very brief moment Frank Castle was Captain America after Steve Rogers was killed.

If here was ever a prescient image of what America would become, this is it.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Jedit posted:

The last one was a priest killing the unrighteous, IIRC.

Yep, he was taking an axe to people that came to confess their sins. The Punisher called him out in a hypocritical way.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Polka_Rapper posted:

Yep, he was taking an axe to people that came to confess their sins. The Punisher called him out in a hypocritical way.

What’s a skinny Jesse Custer with slicked down hair doing there?

Steve Dillon face

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I read a comic where the punisher went after captain America but now it turns out cap is a nazi so I’m firmly behind punisher. God bless you punisher, kill all the people you want because chances are they’ve said or done something wrong at some point

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I enjoy reading some of the punisher stories, but man, he is just a terrible character in general

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Sexual Shiite posted:

What’s a skinny Jesse Custer with slicked down hair doing there?

Steve Dillon face

By the end of Punisher Max Frank is Jesse Custer.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Punisher is such a perfect example of the kind of lovely edgelord characters that plagued comics in the 80s and 90s, I was very surprised to learn he was created in 1974.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Vigilantes were a very popular figure in fiction in the 70s. I mean yeah they still are but the 70s had films like Dirty Harry, Taxi Driver and Death Wish, among hundreds of trashy grindhouse films.. People were disgruntled with percieved ineffectiveness of the police and the idea of vigilantes doing their jobs really got into the public consciousness.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And amazingly enough the recent Punisher series (including his bits in S2 of Daredevil) are really good and contain actual nuance. S1 ends with Frank going to a support group for veterans with PTSD. Highly recommended, it's probably the best of the Marvel/Netflix series so far.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Which reminds me of the Malvo character in the Fargo TV series who essentially has superpowers because he just doesn't care about consequences and will straight up murder you. Also, always have a plan.

Supervillain types I figure avoid the Punisher specifically because the Punisher is a terrifyingly competent murder machine who has even odds of catching them with a bullet to the head as they do of blasting his head off or dropping a building on him or whatever. Like Batman who's willing to kill.

IIRC, wasn't the Punisher's first appearance (or at least a prominent one) him showing up in a Spider-man comic as a gun-toting vigilante who was going after Spider-man for yet another wrongful accusation? And being a dude with a bunch of guns he still put up a pretty good fight against Spider-man, who has one of the most versatile and effective powersets of mid-range superheroes.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
His first appearance is as a vigilante hunting Spider-Man - because he's being manipulated by the Jackal who resembles a furry gremlin of sorts. Comics are weird/great

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Supervillain types I figure avoid the Punisher specifically because the Punisher is a terrifyingly competent murder machine who has even odds of catching them with a bullet to the head as they do of blasting his head off or dropping a building on him or whatever. Like Batman who's willing to kill.

IIRC, wasn't the Punisher's first appearance (or at least a prominent one) him showing up in a Spider-man comic as a gun-toting vigilante who was going after Spider-man for yet another wrongful accusation? And being a dude with a bunch of guns he still put up a pretty good fight against Spider-man, who has one of the most versatile and effective powersets of mid-range superheroes.

spider-man is the strongest hero

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

scary ghost dog posted:

spider-man is the strongest hero

Squirrel-Girl could take him

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Get outta here with your slash fic fantasies

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Just a little thing I liked in Small Soldiers...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Is that a piranha on the desk?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is that a piranha on the desk?

Yes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
There's a Twitter thread going around of small movie moments. My personal favorite, and one don't actually think I noticed when watching:

https://twitter.com/cordialwombat/status/1017229921037488128

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Jul 12, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dillonface is one thing, but that colouring brings out the worst of it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Aw man. I thought that looked a lot like Preacher. I hate Dillonface.

The art in The Punisher Max made up for the thinly veiled racism. The few times they changed artists it wasn't nearly as good.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Krispy Wafer posted:

The art in The Punisher Max made up for the thinly veiled racism

:pwn:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I like the people who argue that Batman should be killing criminals.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I mean, technically the Punisher killed people of all creeds and religions. It's just the way representation works they seemed to show more good White people to offset the bad White people they killed and maybe not enough good minorities to balance out the bad ones.

Also if the Punisher was Black the comic would not be anywhere near as popular with White teenagers and cops.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also if the Punisher was Black the comic would not be anywhere near as popular with White teenagers and cops.

Comics! They even made his logo black :lol:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some prominent Punisher arcs have been about murdering Klansmen, slavers and crooked cops, I'm pretty sure.

Murdering bad people still makes you a murderer.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

I mean, technically the Punisher killed people of all creeds and religions. It's just the way representation works they seemed to show more good White people to offset the bad White people they killed and maybe not enough good minorities to balance out the bad ones.

I con honestly think of more good black characters than good white characters in punisher max. On the top of my head there's Yorkie's colleague, the two black cops, the black woman from social services and the general. Meanwhile the only two prominent black villains are McGinty and Barracuda.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

I con honestly think of more good black characters than good white characters in punisher max. On the top of my head there's Yorkie's colleague, the two black cops, the black woman from social services and the general. Meanwhile the only two prominent black villains are McGinty and Barracuda.

I remember the general and Yorkie's colleague and I'll have to take your word on all the others. So maybe I was the intolerant one all along.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Punisher's one of the biggest cases where most of a character's 'fans' know him from reputation and adaptations rather than the actual comics, basically.

Fake geek reactionaries.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Punisher's one of the biggest cases where most of a character's 'fans' know him from reputation and adaptations the skull logo rather than the actual comics, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
All I want is Terry Crews as the happiest, most horrific villain... Barracuda. Preferably in his own series.