Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's infuriating, but honestly I haven't played the game long enough is what I figure. So I'm shifting gears and focusing on getting the rest of my poo poo in order.

Extra funny is the fact that my "not being ready" most likely stems from the fact I've made it no secret I have 0 desire to get Coxswain or Patrol Lead qualled here. Because this command has a history of sending PLs and Coxswains up for poo poo that was beyond their control.

But cool. 18 months and I'm outta here. So for now I'll focus on getting my pins, quals, and schooling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Thanks for the Yokosuka tips, I'll try my best to restrain all stabby and rapey impulses. Where's the best udon in town?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Gray Matter posted:

Thanks for the Yokosuka tips, I'll try my best to restrain all stabby and rapey impulses. Where's the best udon in town?

You're in Japan. Get far enough away from base and every place will have udon better than most places anywhere else in the world.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Gray Matter posted:

I agree with Mr. Nice! Just walk around town and you'll find something.

Talking with a friend that knows the area really well; his recommendations are the place in Moore's City (mall on blue street), and a place called Sanuke. Sanuke is standing room only. He said he'd speak with his wife and get back to me if he had anything else.

I've been to the Moore's City place and it's not bad. It's pretty easy to find, and has English menus there.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Alternatively, it is fun to point at things on the Japanese menu with no pictures for an adventure eating surprise :)

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

Alternatively, it is fun to point at things on the Japanese menu with no pictures for an adventure eating surprise :)

This leads to culinary adventures for sure

That said, download Google translate on your phone, it has a sign/text translate function that can translate signs and other poo poo into whatever language simply by pointing the phone camera at it.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 6, 2018

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

When you buy coffee from the machine, red button means it's hot, blue means cool. Because if you're like me (dumb) you won't intuit that

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

When you buy coffee from the machine, red button means it's hot, blue means cool. Because if you're like me (dumb) you won't intuit that

There *shouldn't* be any hot coffee in vending machines July but you never know. That poo poo was the absolute bomb in December through early April though.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
At least on base there were. I would pick up hot lattes from the machines all the time last summer.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

maffew buildings posted:

I did this in Yokohama one time with the old ticket machines that didn't have pictures. I thought it was a beef bowl type place but it was actually a fish eggs on rice type place. That was not as enjoyable as beef bowl.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The Atsugi train station had hot coffee in them in summer as well. And beef bowl next to the station. Yeah, that place is better than Seabee Dirt Lot Station CA

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Google Translate is for sure a life saver for it's ability to recognize kanji via the camera.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

orange juche posted:

This leads to culinary adventures for sure

That said, download Google translate on your phone, it has a sign/text translate function that can translate signs and other poo poo into whatever language simply by pointing the phone camera at it.

Hot travel tip: Make sure you predownload the language pack you want so the live translation feature works properly.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Apparently my base (Iwakuni) is flooded enough that at least one person has had a car float around their parking lot, the local highway is closed and the trains from Fukuoka are out presumably both due to landslides. Another Typhoon is hitting the area basically in the next few days (Or now?) too. Guess we're gonna come back on our break and pick up the pieces.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Well I must have picked the right billet, my shop is completely civilian except for 1 other reservist O, workin civilian hours. That said, the weather here is miserable as poo poo and I'm ready to go home after 2 days. Food's good though, and those melon shakes from vending machines are the nectar of the gods.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gray Matter posted:

Well I must have picked the right billet, my shop is completely civilian except for 1 other reservist O, workin civilian hours. That said, the weather here is miserable as poo poo and I'm ready to go home after 2 days. Food's good though, and those melon shakes from vending machines are the nectar of the gods.

Sounds like the USNO minus the shakes.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

SUN'S
OUT
GUNS
OUT
DISA-
SSEM-
BLED
WHILE
ON
WATCH

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I hear females can wear ponytails and many males are incredibly upset at this.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

A solid dunk is a solid dunk, much respect.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

PneumonicBook posted:

Dude brought up the timeless beard question at the SECNAV call today and was, of course, brushed off

e: RIP, Zumwalt

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 12, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

When all sailors can wear a ponytail we will truly be the worlds best Navy.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I just had another instructor tell me that one of my students complained to them that I used the word "retarded" in class. They have a special needs sibling, I guess.

Some of these kids are in for a culture shock when if they get to the fleet.

Edit: in before "disassembled weapon on watch = retarded"

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I just had another instructor tell me that one of my students complained to them that I used the word "retarded" in class. They have a special needs sibling, I guess.

I actually kind of agree that you shouldn't use the word retarded when teaching and also agree that using it to describe disassembling your weapon on watch is a good use of the word.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I hope that the A-School curriculum has gotten much more advanced and you were teaching about retarded potential.

When I was a kid, it was totally okay to use "gay" or "human being" as a pejorative to describe anything you didn't like. That's no longer the case, and in most professional environments would be catastrophic to one's career.

Think of this as an opportunity to practice your professionalism. Try to avoid using any protected class (i.e., ethnic groups, religions, or disabilities) as an insult. This might be one of the few areas where some of your students might be further along than you, so struggle to be better than you are.

You can do it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I would take the tact that he’s just being Presidential and telling it like it is.

(Don’t do this)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I've switched to ding dong and some derivation of stupid to replace those words.

Retarded no longer carries the emphasis, just use loving stupid if you must.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

You're going to mast again

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You really need a different billet.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

You're going to mast again

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

You dumbshit, did you murder someone for their 9502? I had guys like you when I was at FC a and they all ended up with p's helping the maintenance guys. Like we had to fire retired master chief's for saying things similar, if that student puts it on a critique and the co sees it you're hosed lmao.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PneumonicBook posted:

You dumbshit, did you murder someone for their 9502? I had guys like you when I was at FC a and they all ended up with p's helping the maintenance guys. Like we had to fire retired master chief's for saying things similar, if that student puts it on a critique and the co sees it you're hosed lmao.

When I went through FC "A" a couple years back, I thought the kid gloves were on the whole time. I had to tell students in the smoke pit that it's not hazing when you get room inspections every day because you keep failing room inspections.

If a behaviour shows a pattern, that's one thing. Slipping up and calling something "retarded" and being asked not to then never doing it again? Yeah, people make mistakes and (theoretically) learn from them. Maybe the armed services wouldn't have such a manning problem if they stopped kicking out people who are actually doing their jobs and making mistakes thereby destroying motivation and morale and encouraging bare-minimum compliance and keep-your-head-down mentality.

Note specifically that I want tolerance for on-the-job human errors. If you get a DUI? Yeah, that's still a thing you should get ruined for, as well as drug stuff.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I had typed up the whole context of it, which wasn't meant to be insulting, I just dropped an R instead of saying slow or challenged when talking about my own kid's development (he's not, btw) but at the end of the day, as an instructor and E-6 I should be more aware of the language I use in front of people, which is what I told my class once it was brought to my attention that my cavalier manner of speech likely offended some people.

And of course even though I'm trying to handle it in a low key way without naming names or anything, acknowledging my mistake, half the class immediately rallies to my side and declares that calling people retards is ok you guys, it's a medical term.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You idiot.

Oops.

You ding-dong.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Wow some really hurtful thing being said to me right now. Better go tell the CO that I can't do my job now because nothing unpleasant ever happened to me before I joined the actual literal military.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

What if you described a student as "weapons-grade retarded"?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Wow some really hurtful thing being said to me right now. Better go tell the CO that I can't do my job now because nothing unpleasant ever happened to me before I joined the actual literal military.

I’m laughing at you not with you.

No wait.

Your student are certainly over sensitive but that’s the way it goes right now. Give it a few years and a second term and I’m sure we will go back to the Wilson era military.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Posted on campus.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I mean they're not really wrong. Like I wish I could have got my nephew in the navy. Instead he's going to be a prison guard.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

A guy in my class was a corrections officer before he joined. He figured the military was safer after one of the prisoners sliced his face open in a failed attempt to cut his throat.

I hope you've told your nephew he makes poor life choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I dont want my tirade to be misconstrued as some kind of kindler gentler navy bullshit, but that's absolutely the mentality at the training commands for better or for worse since little Johnny's dad will absolutely call the command. The command will probably look at this plus the gun thing and be all kinds of pissed.