Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk why Kamiya uses twitter when it just makes him mad all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Colonel posted:

that's not nolan north getting paid to have an internal monolog about boobs

say what now

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

idk why Kamiya uses twitter when it just makes him mad all the time
seems like everyone on twitter these days motto is don't @ me, and get really pissed off if you actually try to respond to them. social media is really good and cool lol

kamiya was ahead of the curve on that stuff I guess but a million years later and its just exhausting and kinda sad

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Please @ me :shobon:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Help Im Alive posted:

idk why Kamiya anybody uses twitter when it just makes him mad all the time

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

corn in the bible posted:

i hope the re2 remake is good but more importantly i hope we get an re3make because that's the best

I think a R3make would be interesting solely because with modern technology we could have Nemesis going Kool Aid Man through Raccoon City

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

@ u

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

@ MysticalMachineGun

Ah heck, why not @everyone

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

HERE'S HOW I KNOW THOSE DIRTY MEXICANS ARE PLOTTING TO STEAL ALL OUR ROADS (1/439):

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

@ MysticalMachineGun

@:hf:@

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Grapplejack posted:

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1017052031184297986

It's been fun bringing this up with people getting lovely w/r/t the arenanet thing and seeing them immediately 180 and then get mad when I call them on it

thanks kamiya

what arenanet thing

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hideki kamiya is extremely good at twitter

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The Colonel posted:

valkyrie profile is the only tri-ace game i've played that i liked. it's pretty worth playing

vp2 is cool too but it's impossible to emulate. the ds one is supposed to have a really neat take on morality that actually works really well on a mechanical level

Play Radiata Stories!!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exploded mummy posted:

what arenanet thing

A female ArenaNet dev got exasperated at bad twitter men and was summarily fired, basically.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

exploded mummy posted:

what arenanet thing

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/arenanet-fires-guild-wars-writers-1202866649/

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Linnaeus posted:

Play Radiata Stories!!!

I love Radiata Stories but it's pretty funny how you got two paths, one in the main city with 100+ unique characters and one in the wild with a dozen nobodies, your waifu and the cool mohawk dad.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

what arenanet thing

1. ArenaNet writer tweets a thread about writing the main character in GW2 and the challenges in making them seem to have a personality without actually having a personality.
2. GW2 streamer (who, in fairness to him, had expressed his appreciation for her writing and her openness during AMAs more than once during her time at ArenaNet) responds to her in a way that reads as polite from the outside but could also be read as pretty condescending.
3. Writer uses his response as an example of mansplaining and also responds in a snarky manner. Apparently the big sticking point with ArenaNet is that she referred to him as a "rando asshat."
4. Turns out GW2 has a lot of very toxic people in the community who began to brigade and harass her.
5. A male writer who works with her stepped in to defend her side. Both he and the first writer make the argument that these are their personal social media accounts and they don't have to be nice to you just because you play GW2.
6. The next day, both writers were fired in what seemed like a pretty nasty manner, including a forum post from ArenaNet's CEO accusing them of "attacks on the community."

That's the whole story, basically.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Colonel posted:

legendia is a game with a lot of good elements that's let down by being made by the tekken team and the tekken team not knowing how to design an rpg combat system

if they made a remake it'd probably be good cause the core story stuff is neat it's just that the game around it is hard to play

The only good thing I remember about Legendia is that it ends eventually

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

homeless snail posted:

seems like everyone on twitter these days motto is don't @ me, and get really pissed off if you actually try to respond to them. social media is really good and cool lol

kamiya was ahead of the curve on that stuff I guess but a million years later and its just exhausting and kinda sad

I mean he's had plenty of positive interactions with people, his English posting is obviously played up, and "don't message me dumb stuff in a language I'm not fluent in" isn't really unreasonable?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is this Pikachu/Eevee Pokemon game basically just a Switch remake of Pokemon Yellow

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's a simplified pokemon game for people drawn by GO in the shape of Yellow

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Samuringa posted:

I think a R3make would be interesting solely because with modern technology we could have Nemesis going Kool Aid Man through Raccoon City

cant wait to see HD carlos and hear orchestral version of this theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFdIGYfYXJw

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

n/m

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 12, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I just remembered the time an xseed employee posting on forums led to a guy thinking it would be a cool idea to corner her in a parking lot

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yikes

I hope he at least got in trouble

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
:stare:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Yikes

I hope he at least got in trouble

I don't think they called police or anything, but it was resolved in a "don't ever come here or contact this person again" way

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War is out today. I am excited about any Warhammer 40,000 game. :black101: This game is a 4X turn based strategy title similar to Civilization but without the pointless diplomacy that never works right or makes sense.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Harrow posted:

1. ArenaNet writer tweets a thread about writing the main character in GW2 and the challenges in making them seem to have a personality without actually having a personality.
2. GW2 streamer (who, in fairness to him, had expressed his appreciation for her writing and her openness during AMAs more than once during her time at ArenaNet) responds to her in a way that reads as polite from the outside but could also be read as pretty condescending.
3. Writer uses his response as an example of mansplaining and also responds in a snarky manner. Apparently the big sticking point with ArenaNet is that she referred to him as a "rando asshat."
4. Turns out GW2 has a lot of very toxic people in the community who began to brigade and harass her.
5. A male writer who works with her stepped in to defend her side. Both he and the first writer make the argument that these are their personal social media accounts and they don't have to be nice to you just because you play GW2.
6. The next day, both writers were fired in what seemed like a pretty nasty manner, including a forum post from ArenaNet's CEO accusing them of "attacks on the community."

That's the whole story, basically.

The most important bit is the final part, because it caused the community and people outside the community to continue stalking and harassing her. It was retribution. What she said was sorta rude but tame compared to what Kamiya just said incidentally.

Oh yeah also some bigwig at anet minimized her work and said “she only wrote one scene” even though she was lead on the last expansion. Turns out that company is kind of a trash fire.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm not a particular fan of price, but she came over from tabletop rpgs which is an even nastier and more incestuous field. she was diligent in pointing out all the poo poo she got over the years, of which there was a lot. over time that poo poo just adds up

the biggest issue here is how lovely the worker protections are in the game industry. you can be fired at the drop of a hat, and now a mob of subhumans dictates who gets fired, at least for arenanet

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/1017052031184297986

It's been fun bringing this up with people getting lovely w/r/t the arenanet thing and seeing them immediately 180 and then get mad when I call them on it

thanks kamiya

So basically it's totally cool and hilarious for a man to poo poo all over his employers customers, but when I woman shows even a little bit of frustration on her personal Twitter account, that is justified grounds to harass and fire her from her job.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

So basically it's totally cool and hilarious for a man to poo poo all over his employers customers, but when I woman shows even a little bit of frustration on her personal Twitter account, that is justified grounds to harass and fire her from her job.

that is 100% accurate, welcome to the bad future

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
just saw this at work

there's no escape

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I've been reading technical documents that use Haruhi and anime cons as a reference.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bloodychill posted:

The most important bit is the final part, because it caused the community and people outside the community to continue stalking and harassing her. It was retribution. What she said was sorta rude but tame compared to what Kamiya just said incidentally.

Oh yeah also some bigwig at anet minimized her work and said “she only wrote one scene” even though she was lead on the last expansion. Turns out that company is kind of a trash fire.

Not just "some bigwig." The goddamned CEO.

To be fair, he didn't actually say "she only wrote one scene." He highlighted one particular scene that she and Peter Fries wrote that he thought was good and said that's how he wants everyone to remember their time with ArenaNet. But that's also the only contribution he mentioned of theirs, and if they had just been rank-and-file writers maybe that'd be okay, but given that Price was apparently the narrative lead (or one of the leads) for the current story arc then that's definitely minimizing her contribution by a ton. On top of that, Fries had been a writer at ArenaNet since before Guild Wars 2 even came out, so it's minimizing his, too. I have no idea if that was Mike O'Brien's intention or not, but yikes dude.

Overall, I think this is a more complicated situation than it comes off as. I'd probably be fired, too, if I called a customer (or an employee of one of our customers, I guess, since my company's customers are all big organizations) a "rando asshat," even if I wasn't on the clock. That doesn't necessarily mean it's right, though. And yes, Deroir (the guy whose Twitter response set this whole thing off) was probably actually trying to engage in a real conversation, especially because he'd expressed his admiration for Price in his streams in the past, but he phrased his response in a way that came off as condescending, as though Price and the other writers at ArenaNet had never considered branching dialog in the first place. So I can't at all blame Price for taking that as condescension and responding in kind. And his attempts to apologize didn't help, because they were very much "I'm sorry you were offended" instead of like "sorry I didn't actually mean to imply you don't know how to do your job, let me rephrase my question" or something. Neither did the immediate brigade of the extremely toxic GW2 community, who immediately smelled "SJW" blood and went in for the kill, or the eventual brigade of jackasses who barely know what GW2 is but heard there was a woman to harass.

But whether or not Price crossed an important line, and whether or not Fries crossed a line, Mike O'Brien absolutely did and I think his response to this whole thing has been indefensible. It even prompted a tweet from Square Enix's PR manager calling O'Brien very difficult to work with and "a complete viper," and saying this is not the first time he's done something like this and won't be the last.

Edit: Here's that tweet

https://twitter.com/lukekarmali/status/1015294317055922177

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 12, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Is Kamiya not the founder of the company?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

In any job you would be fired if you were rude to your clients. And didn't the Arenanet CEO give her a chance to apologize but she refused?

Saint Freak posted:

Is Kamiya not the founder of the company?

And this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The thing with Kamiya is that it's his ~*~brand~*~ to be mean on Twitter so at this point everyone's used to it. He's just cranky old Kamiya.

Anyway my take is that being mean to random gamers on Twitter is good and nobody should be fired for it unless they're, like, threatening violence or something, so :shrug:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And didn't the Arenanet CEO give her a chance to apologize but she refused?

I don't think so. That hasn't come up in any telling of the story, either from Price or O'Brien. It sounds like it was just a summary firing, both for her and Peter Fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

In any job you would be fired if you were rude to your clients. And didn't the Arenanet CEO give her a chance to apologize but she refused?

• Locked thread