Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

That's why Wong Kar-Wai is the greatest of all horror directors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Quality is complete poo poo compared to the gorgeous Blu-ray, but if you needed a reason to see King of Jazz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1V_nsBaX8&t=133s

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I’d add Cries and Whispers to the others already mentioned. Hour of The Wolf is my favorite Bergman and I really wish they’d release it on BD.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

K. Waste posted:

No love for The Magic Flute, thread? For shame.

love that movie

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Magic Flute is great and one of my favorite renditions of it but idk if I'd recommend it to someone as a blind-watch if they don't have any interest in classical music, opera, or stagecraft.

Also, I love how emotionally pulpy Bergman is. He has a reputation for being inacessibly highbrow but they're extremely relatable and humanistic movies - he uses voyeurism in the same way Hitchcock did, so it's like getting a sick little thrill out of watching the couple at the next table in the restaurant have a fight.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Magic Flute is great and one of my favorite renditions of it but idk if I'd recommend it to someone as a blind-watch if they don't have any interest in classical music, opera, or stagecraft.

Well, yeah, but you're humane, I'm the type of person who might subject someone to a double feature of it with Henry V.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

K. Waste posted:

Well, yeah, but you're humane, I'm the type of person who might subject someone to a double feature of it with Henry V.

We need to have a movie night.

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Terrific! Thank you all for the input. Excited to spend my summer Saturday's watching a good handful of these in double-features.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I love classical music and The Magic Flute is amazing and somehow I’ve never seen Bergman’s version

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It does for regional turn of the century opera houses what Indiana Jones did for hokey adventure serials.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It's shameful how few good opera adaptations there are. We have this, The Pirates of Penzance, and arguably Branagh's version of The Magic Flute.

I guess Topsy-Turvy kind of counts?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
how is tales of hoffman, thats an opera one, right?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

how is tales of hoffman, thats an opera one, right?

I remember being a bit bored with it, but found it to be pretty. I've been waiting for a US Blu-ray so I can re-evaluate it.

Especially since I've loved everything else P&P made.

(By the way, Kino Lorber is releasing Gone to Earth later this year with both the original British cut and the American "The Wild Heart" cut)

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's shameful how few good opera adaptations there are. We have this, The Pirates of Penzance, and arguably Branagh's version of The Magic Flute.

Watch Moses und Aron

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Samuel Clemens posted:

It may be a bit dated, but The Mikado is another great one. Admittedly operettas are far easier to adapt, but they're still enjoyable.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
since we're talking opera, if you like them check out those simulcasts the met does in movie theaters. ive seen em live and at the movies and prefer the latter. plus in between acts they go behind the scenes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
They also have a fantastic online service where you can watch their backlog, which includes audio broadcasts going back to the fifties and video/television copies as well. They have Nixon in China up, which is a masterpiece.

Also, the P&P Tales of Hoffmann is a lot of fun.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I forgot about The Tales of Hoffmann. That one is indeed great. Apparently, it was also George Romero's favourite film.

Radio Spiricom posted:

Watch Moses und Aron

I've been meaning to get into Straub & Huillet. Seems as good a place as any to start.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's why Wong Kar-Wai is the greatest of all horror directors.

Just blind-bought In the Mood For Love last week. How was this not nominated for several Academy Awards? At the very least Best Foreign Language Film and Costume Design. loving Gladiator won for costume design that year and among the other nominees were 102 Dalmatians and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Come on.

I didn't even love the film as much as it seems to be beloved by most critics, but goddamn those Maggie Cheung dresses are worth the price of admission alone.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Just blind-bought In the Mood For Love last week. How was this not nominated for several Academy Awards? At the very least Best Foreign Language Film and Costume Design. loving Gladiator won for costume design that year and among the other nominees were 102 Dalmatians and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Come on.

I didn't even love the film as much as it seems to be beloved by most critics, but goddamn those Maggie Cheung dresses are worth the price of admission alone.

The Academy is bad, especially with foreign films. I just checked and no Cantonese language film has ever been nominated for Best Foreign Language Film and Farewell My Concubine is the only Chinese-language film nominated for the category directed by someone other than Ang Lee or Zhang Yimou.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

FancyMike posted:

The Academy is bad, especially with foreign films. I just checked and no Cantonese language film has ever been nominated for Best Foreign Language Film and Farewell My Concubine is the only Chinese-language film nominated for the category directed by someone other than Ang Lee or Zhang Yimou.

I don't know how they don't see it as embarrassing when you have situations like with In the Mood For Love, where a film is getting recognized and celebrated by Cannes, the BAFTAs, and a laundry list of other prestigious awards and it's just nowhere to be seen anywhere in your nominations.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I don't know how they don't see it as embarrassing when you have situations like with In the Mood For Love, where a film is getting recognized and celebrated by Cannes, the BAFTAs, and a laundry list of other prestigious awards and it's just nowhere to be seen anywhere in your nominations.

I agree. Though there's also Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon that year which was a very big deal. Both did very well at the HKFA but Ang Lee got all the big awards.

Hopefully their efforts at expanding the Academy and adding diversity will help in the future but to me the whole process with the Foreign Language category seems busted. A short list of filmmakers with submissions and no nominations: Wong Kar-wai, King Hu, Ann Hui, Johnnie To, Sylvia Chang, Hou Hsiao-hsien, Edward Yang

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
All your questions about Academy nomiations can be answered by the annual crop of anonymous comments from Academy voters. A few years ago one of them despaired that Lego Movie was snubbed to make room for "Chinese fuckin' things that nobody ever freakin' saw" (Princess Kayuga and Song of the Sea, apparently), and then said they'd seen none of the nominated Foreign Language films and voted for Leviathan because they thought the whale corpse on the poster was cool.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

IIRC, nominees for Best Foreign Language Film have to be officially submitted by the country they were made in, and each country only gets one slot at most. I can think of a number of reasons why China pushed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon instead of In the Mood for Love.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

IIRC, nominees for Best Foreign Language Film have to be officially submitted by the country they were made in, and each country only gets one slot at most. I can think of a number of reasons why China pushed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon instead of In the Mood for Love.

That's true of that category, but how does it work with the others? If a film isn't submitted as the selection from that country for Best Foreign Language Film, does that mean it's not eligible for the other awards? Like in the case of In the Mood For Love and costume design, it seems criminal that it didn't at least get a nomination.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Got my B&N order today. I skimmed over everything...

Tom Jones - I had heard horror stories about this title. Awful past DVDs and seemingly unrestorable elements. From the few minutes of the theatrical cut I watched, it looks wonderful.

The Silence of the Lambs - I had never seen this on DVD or Blu-ray, but it honestly looks like UHD quality upscaled.

The Color of Pomegranates - I had only seen this via the crummy Kino DVD and it's a night and day difference. Really looking forward to seeing this again.

Midnight Cowboy - Another one that looks like a real 35mm print projected. They even put back the original United Artists logo.

The Scarlet Empress (in the Dietrich/Von Sternberg set) - Wow, this looks like it's printed on silver. Liner notes say it's from a 4K scan of an original nitrate print. Absolutely stunning.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

If a film isn't submitted as the selection from that country for Best Foreign Language Film, does that mean it's not eligible for the other awards? Like in the case of In the Mood For Love and costume design, it seems criminal that it didn't at least get a nomination.

I believe the only criterium for being eligible for the other categories is having a theatrical run in Los Angeles County. Looking it up, it seems like In the Mood for Love didn't get a US release till 2001, so maybe that's the reason?

In any case, I agree with you on the costumes. Say what you want about Wong Kar-Wai as a storyteller, the way he uses colour in his films is incredible.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

China's submission was Breaking the Silence. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was Taiwan's and In the Mood for Love was submitted by Hong Kong.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't realise Hong Kong still got its own submissions. The Academy is run by idiots then.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Basebf555 posted:

In The Mood For Love is hands down the best film released so far this century. I'm always jealous of people watching it for the first time.

FancyMike posted:

Yeah, it's a loving shame...though Ju Dou is loving phenomenal and worth tracking down the blu from Korea.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My favorite "The Academy sucks" is still probably the Hoop Dreams fiasco, which only kind of made the point of Hoop Dreams even further in a way.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

What's the story behind that one?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Samuel Clemens posted:

What's the story behind that one?
Wikipedia has a nice summary about the convtroversy.

quote:

When [Hoop Dreams], along with the equally acclaimed Crumb, was not nominated in the Best Documentary category of the Academy Awards, public outcry led to a revised nomination process in the category, led by Barbara Kopple.[3] According to an angry Ebert, reliable sources said members of the Academy's documentary nomination committee had a system in which one would wave a flashlight on screen when they gave up on the film. When a majority of the lights flashed, the film was turned off. Hoop Dreams did not even make it to 20 minutes.[10]

The Academy's Executive Director, Bruce Davis, took the unprecedented step of asking accounting firm Price Waterhouse to turn over the complete results of the voting, in which members of the committee had rated each of the 63 eligible documentaries on a scale of zero to ten. "What I found," said Davis, "is that a small group of members gave zeros to every single film except the five they wanted to see nominated. And they gave tens to those five, which completely skewed the voting. There was one film that received more scores of ten than any other, but it was not nominated. It also got zeros from those few voters, and that was enough to push it to sixth place."[11]

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Really, the academy awards should not exist. The whole thing strikes me like the people who are part of it are just the lowest form of life on the planet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If the history of snubs and unearned wins wasn’t already enough, the anonymous comments that trickle out each year should be enough to convince anyone with half a brain that the Oscars are a joke.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Criterion sales are dangerous y'all.

I got sucked back in for another round.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

la dolce vita is the best looking movie i've seen, i think, except for maybe some others

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like you guys are getting me to pick up In the Mood for Love next time I'm in a B&N.

yea ok posted:

la dolce vita is the best looking movie i've seen, i think, except for maybe some others

B&W scope always looks amazing. The Innocents also looks incredible on Blu-ray. Both from 4K restorations off the camera negatives.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Criterion sales are dangerous y'all.

I got sucked back in for another round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJpVyMAlPBs

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Eraserhead
Rosemary's Baby
Y Tu Mama Tambien
Silence of the Lambs
The New World
Tess
Crumb
Women in Love
Midnight Cowboy

:blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You didn't make a single bad choice there, so you should be proud if anything.