Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

Texas heat doesn't count as ~~dry heat~~

it's 40-50% humidity every fuckin day

My hometown says fuckin lol

Texas is big

Some of it is in the west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
whenif America breaks up into separate countries, one of them should be a big chunk of Texas that encompasses Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and the coast from Galveston to Corpus Christi. The rest of the border can go back to Mexico, west Texas and the panhandle can go the Mormon Empire, and north Texas and Dallas can finally admit that they're just more Oklahoma and join some boring rear end midwest country.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

whenif America breaks up into separate countries, one of them should be a big chunk of Texas that encompasses Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and the coast from Galveston to Corpus Christi. The rest of the border can go back to Mexico, west Texas and the panhandle can go the Mormon Empire, and north Texas and Dallas can finally admit that they're just more Oklahoma and join some boring rear end midwest country.

The states are already basically little separate countries. What did you think they were?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

The states are already basically little separate countries. What did you think they were?

They aren't separate countries, we've got all these loving Californians coming here, driving up housing prices. And they aren't the good Californians, they're the lovely Californians who couldn't hack it in California. If we were separate countries, we could put strict quotas on immigration from California.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Have you tried HOA's?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Guy Goodbody posted:

They aren't separate countries, we've got all these loving Californians coming here, driving up housing prices. And they aren't the good Californians, they're the lovely Californians who couldn't hack it in California. If we were separate countries, we could put strict quotas on immigration from California.

Are you sure they're actual Californians? I imagine a lot of them came from other states then realized California isn't as great as advertised so they tried somewhere else.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you’re talking the people immigrating to Texas and Colorado, yeah, they’re native californians.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Don’t California my Texas. You hosed up your own state, you don’t get to just leave and gently caress up others. Fix your own.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I’m just playing. I know it’s not a black and white issue like that

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Seriously tho gently caress California

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Because the current Star Wars movies take place after them, the original Star Wars trilogy now count as prequels too.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

People sometimes ask me why I, a software developer, have no interest in going to Silicon Valley.

I just say "$4,000 studio apartments." It has never been an inadequate answer. I'd rather not live in a place where people pay $900 a month to live in a tent on somebody's porch, thanks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

oldpainless posted:

More like oldalamoforgetfulnessless?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

the mormon empire will one day rule america, and you will drop to your knees when you see its glory.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

People sometimes ask me why I, a software developer, have no interest in going to Silicon Valley.

I just say "$4,000 studio apartments." It has never been an inadequate answer. I'd rather not live in a place where people pay $900 a month to live in a tent on somebody's porch, thanks.

why the gently caress cant they put their companies in small towns. Y'ain't gonna just make broke people move to a town they cant afford to live in and then wonder why it's all falling apart

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

spit on my clit posted:

the mormon empire will one day rule america, and you will drop to your knees when you see its glory.

why the gently caress cant they put their companies in small towns. Y'ain't gonna just make broke people move to a town they cant afford to live in and then wonder why it's all falling apart

The tech sector has gone completely insane. It's a complex thing, though; everybody associates Silicon Valley and Seattle with tech so that's where the investor money goes. There's also some ancient tech companies that have been there basically forever that aren't going to leave. Of course some of the big ones have been creating satellite offices elsewhere. New York is also kind of a tech hub but not quite as much as the other coast. Though I think New York is more fintech focused than general. The defense tech sector is also weirdly distributed around D.C.

Anyway, Seattle has been actually dealing with the insane housing issues while California has some laws that make it effectively impossible to actually deal with the housing crisis around San Francisco but all the cool tech bros are going to Silicon Valley because it's Silicon loving Valley, dude!!! That's where it all started and where all the cool poo poo is happening, maaaaaaaaaaaan.

Because a good enough programmer can make six figs right out of college it isn't seen like that big of a deal to pay $50,000 a year in rent in many minds. Of course the other snag is that if you want to do something like, say, get married and make babies a studio apartment isn't the best for that and this is a sector not exactly known for being the most family-friendly. Entirely too many companies want people who view home as a place to sleep and mostly hang around the office. If you're that type (and unfortunately many fresh grads eager to change the world and disrupt everything are) it can be awesome. Well, if you can also deal with the sanity-damaging traffic.

Me, my thought is "bump that noise." I'll keep my 40 hour a week job that never has 40 hours of stuff for me to actually do in a week where I can easily afford a two bedroom all to myself and don't have to drive 90 minutes to move 10 miles. I could make a lot more there but my thought is "not worth it. At all."

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 02:02 on Jul 12, 2018

Caufman
May 7, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

I give them three generations before the terminal rot and humiliation of waning empire sets in.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

Because the current Star Wars movies take place after them, the original Star Wars trilogy now count as prequels too.

As long as it's understood that Star Wars is the first movie, and that it's called Star Wars, not Episode 4 or A New Hope.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

spit on my clit posted:

Especially with how widespread high speed internet is now, it makes no sense to centralize industries in a handful of big cities. I'm not saying companies should start moving in to rural towns of a couple hundred people because that wouldn't really make sense and would make recruiting people harder, but why not smaller cities where you don't get laughed at if you ask your coworkers about the housing market there? It's not even like these hubs are nice places to live anymore even if you can afford it. The 6 figgy salary (barely over 100k) is attractive on paper to most people, but if you want to live in some actual degree of comfort it's the equivalent of probably making ~30k anywhere else when you factor in cost of living (which is of course doable but you aren't going to be living some glamorous life like you're charlie sheen in Wallstreet).

I think the only way to force companies to spread out is to make it financially difficult to start a company in SF/NYC/Seattle/etc by jacking up corporate tax in major cities and offering favorable rates in smaller ones. I think this is done to some extent already but clearly it's not severe enough to be effective yet.

Related: venture capitalists in general are a big part of the problem. The idea of venture capitalists is good because it gives people the opportunity to start their own business, but who they give their money to lately just seems wrong. They seem to care more about whether they can make a profit by a company being acquired later instead of whether the company can generate a profit by being a good business. There is no sane world where a "company" like snapchat should be valued at tens of billions of dollars. They don't do anything of actual value, and the revenue they actually generate is nowhere near that amount and never will be. It's a drat phone app - if I had hundreds of millions of dollars laying around I think my bar of whether I would want to invest in a company would be a lot higher than that. It's a drat phone app, that's not a company, it's a product. At least have more ambition than just expanding your userbase by running at massive losses until someone buys you out.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think the only way to force companies to spread out is to make it financially difficult to start a company in SF/NYC/Seattle/etc by jacking up corporate tax in major cities and offering favorable rates in smaller ones. I think this is done to some extent already but clearly it's not severe enough to be effective yet.

You've accidentally discovered how local governments work. Cities with booming economies extort as much money from their chief industries as possible while cities that aren't doing so well will happily give millions of dollars to anyone willing to open a business there. At best, it results in companies located in big cities moving their call centers and warehouses to the middle of nowhere.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

lavaca posted:

You've accidentally discovered how local governments work. Cities with booming economies extort as much money from their chief industries as possible while cities that aren't doing so well will happily give millions of dollars to anyone willing to open a business there. At best, it results in companies located in big cities moving their call centers and warehouses to the middle of nowhere.

My point was that while it's being tried to some extent already, it's clearly not working if that's all it is doing. Maybe they aren't being extorted enough.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are many movies based on books that are better than the book they are based on

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

There are many movies based on books that are better than the book they are based on

That is true even for a lot of good books. I mean sure Der Schatz der Sierra Madre is a very good novel but it's even better with Rutger Hauer who apparently dies but comes back as a space samurai because ???

The film with Bogart ain't bad either.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Jurassic park
Congo
The shawshank redemption

My unpopular opinion is books are stupid and a dying medium. If its fiction then they'll make a movie which will be a better experience and if its factual its probably out of date anyway.

Books are good for power cuts and sitting by the pool on a holiday.

Also people who take pride in still reading books are tossers. If you want to read them that's fine but if you mention it out loud you just want credibility.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I kind of enjoy the Twilight movies. Thy’re so overtly stupid that they’re good and you can tell the cast knows how absurd it all is.

Also, I talk about books bc other people also enjoy reading and we take about our favourite racist paranoid horror authors.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

lavaca posted:

The other side of that is that call centers and warehouses don't exactly need highly trained, educated, expensive labor. The way things are now people still living in rural areas are having more and more trouble finding jobs as the manufacturing, agriculture, and whatever has basically all left. Factory farming is basically the main thing now so there isn't much labor needed there while the factory that the town grew up around either doesn't need nearly as many people or is a rusted, abandoned husk stripped of anything useful. So you have this big, desperate pool of cheap labor that'll happily do any job at all for minimum wage. Land is cheap, workers are cheap, and it doesn't matter where the call center actually is.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’s dumb to write off genre fiction as trash. A story can be good and also involve elves or spaceships or cowboys.

Of course it’s kind of a self-perpetuating thing because every genre has authors churning out trash for audiences who don’t give a poo poo about quality, while anything good gets just called “fiction.”

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

CrRoMa posted:

Jurassic park
Congo
The shawshank redemption

My unpopular opinion is books are stupid and a dying medium. If its fiction then they'll make a movie which will be a better experience and if its factual its probably out of date anyway.

Counterpoint: the abomination known as the dark tower movie. How could a movie with that cast be so trash that you can honestly say it would have been better if you stuck closer to stephen king's source material?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They made Roland waaaaay nicer in the movie than he was in the book. I was waiting for him to sacrifice Jake and it just never happened. Should have just followed book one.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Books are better at doing an internal monologue and at getting inside the head of a character than basically any other artform, and they'll remain important until that stops being the case.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah Game of Thrones could never match the exquisite details about lemon cakes from the books

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Counterpoint: the abomination known as the dark tower movie. How could a movie with that cast be so trash that you can honestly say it would have been better if you stuck closer to stephen king's source material?

I'm not sure mate, ill never read the dark tower books and from the 1:30 trailer I did see i had zero interest in watching the movie so yeah it maybe sucks if you are an invested fan but if you just blink and pretend the dark tower doesn't exist your prolly not missing much.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How do you feel about the Hobbit trilogy?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I've just not bothered with them and never will.

Which is not a dig at LotR, those are incredible movies (and chronically boring books). Don't get me wrong I was interested given I enjoyed the book of The Hobbit when i was 12 but as soon as I heard they were going to make it into 3 films I made a mental note not to bother.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hollywood. They don't give a poo poo about making good movies. Just buckets of money.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hollywood. They don't give a poo poo about making good movies. Just buckets of money.

And being rapists/pretending not to be rapists

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
John Oliver’s current events-themed comedy show does better investigative journalism than any north american news network.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

John Oliver’s current events-themed comedy show does better investigative journalism than any north american news network.

It's depressing how true that has been for like a decade. The daily show kind of started that I think.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's annoying because he presents it in such a smug way I want to hate him even if he's telling the truth. At least he's aware that China isn't our friend which is a major plus for me. Putin isn't great either but the chinese are a bigger threat to us right now.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

"I don't feel so good mister ____" was barely funny right after the movie came out. It's just annoying now. Who gives a poo poo about spiderman anyway he didnt do anything important in the avengers movie except be "young guy who tragically dies".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

"I don't feel so good mister ____" was barely funny right after the movie came out. It's just annoying now. Who gives a poo poo about spiderman anyway he didnt do anything important in the avengers movie except be "young guy who tragically dies".

It was something that was forced to happen by Disney, no one can convince me otherwise.