Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
[quote="Jagged Jim" post="485917226"
Does anything happen if you try to take the wizard's spellcookbook instead of the cake? Or is it just a generic "the wizard is pissed!" message?
[/quote]
Strangely, it's the same message as taking the cake; both do the same thing, same as the other two options lead to getting caught the same way. Guess the game doesn't want us stealing the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: How The Prime Mother Got Her Groove Back
In which we get felt up by a bug, then teach the Prime Mother of the Insectidae how to love again... mostly by reminding her of all the ways she murdered the men she loved before.

Note that I'm not sure whether the last hint means to suggest that the two husbands she's listing are separate; it's not very well-written if so, and I can't offhand recall if that's the case or not.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Sleep deprived and making multiple grids in a heatwave. I can't really explain my reasoning because I'm only half-following it myself, but this is what I ended up with:

First husband, Buzz, yellow, decapitated.

Second husband, Humm, brown, drowned.

Third, Zziggy, brown, strangled.

Fourth, Mmanny, green, the egg-implanting thing.

Fifth, Zzammy, yellow, fed to ant-lions.

I'm probably overlooking something that means this is completely wrong, but I don't care.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Not gonna lie, I found this one to be remarkably simple for how late in the game this feels. After the past couple, I was expecting a right nightmare at this point. It looks complex, for sure, but the first clue alone basically tells you the order:

It's oblique, but it makes it so that the order has to be: decapitation, Humm, Zziggy, the only green mate, ant-lion death. The order requirements limit it to either that or minor permutations, but later clues make it impossible for Zziggy to be earlier than 3rd because he's brown and brown can't be first (can't be second because that makes both statements impossible to resolve and the requirement of something between him and the ant-lion death make fourth impossible too). That prevents the Ant-Lion from coming earlier than 5th. After that, it's just a pretty simple matter of checking the boxes and quickly seeing where only one possibility remains which gives us the order.

First was Buzz. He was a Yellow mate and died by being decapitated.
Second came Humm. He was a Brown mate and died by drowning.
Third we have Zziggy. He was the second Brown mate and ended up dying via strangulation.
Fourth comes Mmanny. He was the only Green mate and died via the injection of eggs.
Fifth has to be Zzammy, then. The final Yellow mate who was thrown to the Ant-Lions.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Hint #1 implies Humm is the 2nd and not green, #4 proves he's brown, and #2 means he was drowned.
The last husband isn't Humm or Ziggy (#1), Buzz (#2), or Mmanny (#5), so he's Zzammy. He's not brown (#4) or green (#1) so he's yellow. He's not Buzz, so he was antlioned (#3)
The first one then has to be yellow, and Buzz, and decapitated.
At this point I kinda just filled in the holes based on what was left. I think it's right?

Buzz-decapitation-yellow
Humm-drowning-brown
Zziggy-strangled-brown
Mmanny-implanted eggs-green
Zzammy-antlion-yellow

Edit: yay I'm not alone!

GuavaMoment fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 9, 2018

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Nakar posted:

Level Three: How The Prime Mother Got Her Groove Back
In which we get felt up by a bug, then teach the Prime Mother of the Insectidae how to love again... mostly by reminding her of all the ways she murdered the men she loved before.

Note that I'm not sure whether the last hint means to suggest that the two husbands she's listing are separate; it's not very well-written if so, and I can't offhand recall if that's the case or not.

I took the last hint to just be giving the fifth name and cause of death, without specifying whether they belong to the same or separate husbands, and I was able to solve it.

There are two possible orders given by Clue 1, starting with either decapitated husband or Zziggy. Since Clue 2 says that Zziggy is brown, and Clue 4 says that the first husband wasn't brown, the order is (decapitated, Humm, Zziggy/brown, green, antlions) from first to last. Clue 3 says that Buzz and the one fed to antlions are both yellow; Buzz must be first because the middle three already have names or colors. Clue 5 matches Mmanny with implanting eggs, and only the fourth slot is missing the name and cause of death so that's him.

Adding that information gives (Buzz/decapitated/yellow, Humm, Zziggy/brown, Mmanny/eggs/green, antlions/yellow). Clue 2 says there's another brown husband besides Zziggy that drowned, so that must be Humm. At this point only one name and one cause of death is missing so Clue 6 fills those in to give the final answer of (Buzz/decapitated/yellow, Humm/drowned/brown, Zziggy/strangling/brown, Mmanny/eggs/green, Zzammy/antlions/yellow).

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

To start, we know from the first clue that the decapitated husband comes immediately before Humm, the green one comes after Humm and the decapitated one, Zziggy comes before the one who was thrown to the ant-lions, and there is at least one husband between Zziggy and the ant-lion guy. From here, we know the only possible arrangements are as follows:

• Zziggy, decapitated, Humm, green, ant-lions
  • Zziggy, decapitated, Humm, ant-lions, green
  • Decapitated, Humm, Zziggy, green, ant-lions

However, we also know that Zziggy is brown (2), and the first husband was not brown (4). Since Zziggy can't be first, the only possible order is: decapitated, Humm, Zziggy, green, ant-lions.

Zziggy can't have been decapitated or thrown to ant-lions, because that would cause an overlap in clue 1. He also can't have been drowned (2) or implanted with eggs (5). Therefore, Zziggy was strangled.

Mmanny obviously isn't Humm or Zziggy, and since we know his cause of death from clue 5, he can't have been decapitated or thrown to the ant-lions. Therefore, Mmanny has to be the green one.

As stated earlier, the first husband can't be brown, and since Mmanny - the only green bug - clearly wasn't decapitated, process of elimination tells us the first husband was yellow. We know the yellow bugs are Buzz and the one thrown to the ant-lions (3), and since the one thrown to the ant-lions is fifth, Buzz has to be the first husband - and consequently, the husband who was decapitated.

From here, we can simplify the order as: Buzz, Humm, Zziggy, Mmanny, guy eaten by ant-lions. By process of elimination, Zzammy is the fifth husband, who was thrown to the ant-lions. Furthermore, now that we know the C.O.D of four of the husbands, we can deduce that Humm was drowned.

At this point, all that's left to do is to figure out the colors of Humm and Zzammy. Luckily, clues 2 and 3 tell us that the drowned husband was brown and the husband thrown to the ant-lions was yellow. The final answer is:

BUZZ was the FIRST husband, was DECAPITATED, and had a YELLOW exoskeleton.
HUMM was the SECOND husband, was DROWNED, and had a BROWN exoskeleton.
ZZIGGY was the THIRD husband, was STRANGLED, and had a BROWN exoskeleton.
MMANNY was the FOURTH husband, was IMPLANTED WITH EGGS, and had a GREEN exoskeleton.
ZZAMMY was the FIFTH husband, was THROWN TO THE ANT-LIONS, and had a YELLOW exoskeleton.

Dang, Mmanny gets to have the unique exoskeleton color and the coolest death. Lucky guy. You know, except for the "dying horribly" part.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: Our New Pal
In which a certain lovesick insect queen welches on the deal, so we gather our party before venturing forth.

It's going to be a lot of work fun documenting Iggy's advice about every single situation in nearly every PoP from here on.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...'prominent nose'? Dude has a claw for a face. (Which is... not good, since his language suggests he's Jewish.)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Black Robe posted:

...'prominent nose'? Dude has a claw for a face. (Which is... not good, since his language suggests he's Jewish.)
:yikes:

I did mention that we weren't as out of the woods as I figured with respect to the "Oh, it was the 90s"-ness of the game. I think I get what they were going for (though I'm not sure if Zweigler did), making Iggy a stock con-man/lives-by-his-wits character, but it doesn't quite have the same connotations it might've when the other traits are factored in... traits that, these days, would generally tend to be left out, for obvious reasons.

...Whatever the case, we're friends now, so we're in it for better or worse.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
His dialogue seems like kind of a random mishmash to me, so it seems more like they were going for "quirky" than Jewish specifically. So far, at least--if he's sticking around there's still plenty of time for them to blow it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: This Place Is Rigged To Blow
In which we confront the dastardly deathtraps of the Pyramid of the Insectidae, made all the more dastardly by at least one of them being outright wrong.

Our next update will finish up the third level. Unlike the first two, there is no Castle Perilous/Citadel of Osmet Khan-style massive PoP to negotiate, just a short one leading to the Moon of Madness itself. The game does not technically distinguish the Moon from the third level in any gameplay sense, but for organizational purposes (and to dodge table of contents spoilers) I'll be calling it the "fourth level." It's much, much shorter than the others -- even the first level eclipses it in PoP number -- though the PoPs are mostly not filler and the final PoP of the game is understandably the most complex of all.

The Moon does a very cool thing to distinguish itself mazewise from everything up to this point, one that will become apparent once we arrive. First, however, is the Invisible Maze, which is a traditional maze except that it doesn't restrict your options to valid travel directions and gives you a comical 1960s Batman pop-up when you blunder. I have of course mapped the Invisible Maze in its entirety, so the challenge will not transfer very well to the next update, but just recognize that I had to try every direction in every square of the maze to make sure I had the layout right.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That rods puzzle is some bullshit, but the others were basically password checks. Which I guess is one way to encourage your players to fully-explore every area and therefore spend more time connected to (and paying for) Prodigy.

Still waiting for the crone's hint to be relevant though...also, if anyone in the Invisible Maze wants a name, "Sheltem" had better be an answer. :colbert:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Three: Over The Edge, Into Madness
In which we leave behind all that we've ever known or understood in pursuit of our quest. Except Iggy. And Valterre, and the Talisman. Which is pretty much everything we really cared about anyhow.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Oof. Sending you so far back if you climb the cliffs is pretty brutal, given that it's more logical than jumping. I guess it's kinder than just killing you outright?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I like that Iggy has been generally useless so far.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Did they actually try to make a spherical maze? I guess they could get a decent approximation if they used enough teleporters, but it'd be hell to map.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

A little late, but if the "[color] is the color of [thing]" was meant to refer to the dial, switch, button puzzle, did we ever see any hints for what the switch was supposed to be set to? Or what animal was the intended setting? Or was it supposed to be a thing of "The dial is pointing at X animal, press the button associated with that animal and pull the switch, it then asks for another animal", and you have to figure out which animal is associated with each thing the color means?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Four: Its Own Little World
In which we get our bearings on the Moon of Madness, and get in touch with a few of its residents. They are not quite as mad as expected... at least not in the conventional sense.

Zandar posted:

Did they actually try to make a spherical maze? I guess they could get a decent approximation if they used enough teleporters, but it'd be hell to map.
They cheated, more or less, by just making it a cube with cut-off corners that sorta go to the right places. At least it isn't that difficult to piece together once you understand that the corners work... though there is at least one spot where the map is inaccurate and adds an extra hallway where there shouldn't be one.

Randalor posted:

A little late, but if the "[color] is the color of [thing]" was meant to refer to the dial, switch, button puzzle, did we ever see any hints for what the switch was supposed to be set to? Or what animal was the intended setting? Or was it supposed to be a thing of "The dial is pointing at X animal, press the button associated with that animal and pull the switch, it then asks for another animal", and you have to figure out which animal is associated with each thing the color means?
From what I can tell, it doesn't seem to apply to that puzzle at all, despite the button colors matching up. Mysterious...

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013
Has earth magic ever done anything remotely beneficial to us? The map design on the moon is really cool, it seems like such a time-waster.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Keep in mind that Prodigy charged by the hour so wasting your time was probably the point.

Also I love Iggy getting unnerved by our insatiable bloodlust. That librarian was just doing his/her job, man!

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
ORB MAZE

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Ah, I see, the Moon of Madness is a giant bureaucracy. I wonder if we're going to see any references to Brazil?

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
"The only way to the Moon of Madness is through the Prime Mother's throne room."

...once again, I have to ask, is this how Persephone presumably got there? Is this how ANYBODY ELSE gets there?

It would also appear "the only way" usually involves our magic sword and magic talisman.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ah, I see, the Moon of Madness is a giant bureaucracy. I wonder if we're going to see any references to Brazil?
Or the Vogons from Hitchhiker's Guide of the Galaxy. Wonder if we'll be subject to some terrible poetry.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Andyzero posted:

"The only way to the Moon of Madness is through the Prime Mother's throne room."

...once again, I have to ask, is this how Persephone presumably got there? Is this how ANYBODY ELSE gets there?

It would also appear "the only way" usually involves our magic sword and magic talisman.
This is never explained and is definitely one of those "So how the hell did..." moments. It's possible our character is just much dumber than everyone else who braved the MadMaze, and thus needed all the magical kit to even have a chance of survival, and was carefully directed to the one route he'd actually be able to survive.

That, or Persephone cheats like hell. We'll find out if we ever catch up to her. This is the end of the road, so she can't be too far away if she made it this far.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Given that we're meant to be agender, to best suit whatever the player identifies as, but we've been referred to explicitly as "she" during the 3rd maze on more than one occasion, I'm half-expecting some kinda dumb twist where we were secretly Persephone all along or something (or maybe that cairn did something since I noticed it after that point...). It'd arguably make more sense than some of the stuff we've seen around here at least. :v:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Given that we're meant to be agender, to best suit whatever the player identifies as, but we've been referred to explicitly as "she" during the 3rd maze on more than one occasion, I'm half-expecting some kinda dumb twist where we were secretly Persephone all along or something (or maybe that cairn did something since I noticed it after that point...). It'd arguably make more sense than some of the stuff we've seen around here at least. :v:

I think that's supposed to be the insect people assuming you're a worker.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Andyzero posted:

We don't know of anyone who's actually gotten this far, do we? We already passed by Persephone's grave.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Have we even read the note we're supposed to give Moraziel? If there's a twist I bet it involves that.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Four: Catching Up
In which we don't find the Bureau of Records, but do manage to find someone we've been looking for since our journey began. No, not Moraziel; I wish it were that easy.

Tendales posted:

I think that's supposed to be the insect people assuming you're a worker.
Yeah; only Insectidae refer to us as "she," as it appears they're drones and just see everyone as female unless noted otherwise. Noticeably, every Insectid we interacted with was referred to in-narration as female; the only males mentioned were the Prime Mother's husbands.

whitehelm posted:

We don't know of anyone who's actually gotten this far, do we? We already passed by Persephone's grave.
We passed a marker she had left, with the choice to believe whether or not it was her grave. As we see in this update, it wasn't; she made it almost all the way to Moraziel.

GuavaMoment posted:

Have we even read the note we're supposed to give Moraziel? If there's a twist I bet it involves that.
We have not. There's not a single hint as to what the message says or what Moraziel's supposed to do with it once he reads it. We also know he's in the Seat of Madness itself... and so is the Mad One. Not the most promising of roommates. I hate to :tinfoil: that we're being set up, but the Archpriest seemed well aware that we were coming, and has done nothing to impede us...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Honestly, something seemed super shady about Persephone. She seemed way too chill about being locked up, and the back of her cell being just straight up open to space? Weird poo poo.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
That better be some drat good cake.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Domus posted:

That better be some drat good cake.

I think that maybe, just maybe, the Mad One took a cue from Glados.

(or vice-versa, I guess, but I wouldn't trust that cake)

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Great job, Persephone.
That's 0% sarcastic.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Qrr posted:

(or vice-versa, I guess, but I wouldn't trust that cake)

I hear they put radish in it, the madmen.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level Four: Getting Our Paperwork In Order
In which we try to remember something very important the Lady has told us no fewer than three times, deepen our relationship with Iggy, cut through some red tape, and finally acquire that library card. Regrettably, procedure still claims its due, as it always does.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The first alien we found at the MoM was running away from some Throckmorton fella, and since when we mention either that name to the bridge, or the Bureau of Records, it tells us to go to the same place, I`m reasonably sure that particular bureaucrat was our Throckmorton. I can't find his first name anywhere, though.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
It's kind of annoying, because if you did this "for real", his name would be on the marriage license.

Edit: Speaking of the authors, they are downright brilliant when it comes to bureaucratic ineptitude. Even if you aren't into tabletop RPGs, it's worth picking up Paranoia just for the writing. For example, there's an adventure where troubleshooters have to guard some important barrels. They're labeled "Petroleum Jelly". Smart folks might think to open one and spread some on the floor, so intruders will slip on it. But whoops, they're slightly mislabeled. They actually contain jellied petroleum. Napalm. Hijinks ensue.

Domus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
All I can think of at the moment is that the name Nadia Thimbatool is meant to be a hint at some relationship between first and last names on the moon, or a property that all full names have. I can't find anything, though, so I'll just guess based on a random thought I had while checking anagrams.

Obviously all names on the Moon of Madness must have the letters MAD in them, as seen in Nadia Thimbatool. Since Throckmorton only has M, its first name must have A and D, which means that the only possible name out of the choices given is Beadle. This cannot possibly be wrong.

• Locked thread