Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I just haven't ever changed it since they reduced the larger and brighter effect :shrug:

a shamefur dispray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
The same stream sniping cheaters with the flying car that ended up getting Shroud banned showed up in chocoTaco's game tonight:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ZealousSarcasticWasabiHassanChop

Honestly, how is this even possible? You don't see cheats like this even in single player games, how is it possible on a multiplayer game? Christ, Bluehole...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's weird because it's been months since I've seen someone obviously cheating. I only play like 6 hours a week, though, so maybe I've just been lucky.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It might be someone using a private/designer cheat and intentionally only doing it while stream sniping.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

drowningidiot posted:

I loving suck at this poo poo and barely manage a kill for every 10 games played. Nothing hits, nothing works.

We should play duos and carry each other. I've had the game for maybe two weeks and I've killed maybe 3 people total. This game.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I recommend checking out WackyJacky101’s vids on Youtube. His vids are pretty informative especially the one on wavedropping which will allow you to land before people most of the time.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Thermopyle posted:

It's weird because it's been months since I've seen someone obviously cheating. I only play like 6 hours a week, though, so maybe I've just been lucky.

It had been months for me as well until today when I caught a guy flying a truck around miramar.

I'm sure he'll be banned swiftly!!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I recommend checking out WackyJacky101’s vids on Youtube. His vids are pretty informative especially the one on wavedropping which will allow you to land before people most of the time.

Wave dropping is a skill everyone should know, landing (if only moments) before anyone else will save your round, especially if it's pochinki. Pochinki is the spicy drop for Erangel after cutting your teeth doing school drops.

Also I'd recommend dropping Sanhok and mag dumping with different guns with targets (human or otherwise doesn't matter) at different distances to get a feel for controlling them because there isn't an in-game gun range you can chill in

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Also this tip is huge imo: bind jump to space and bind vault to an alternate key (i use v). This means you won’t jump into the air repeatedly like a complete moron when you’re trying to vault to safety. By default they are bound to the same key.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

That's a good tip I hadn't even considered, I didn't know there was a separate Vault bind and assumed it was lumped in with jump. Ran into it a lot on sanhok

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Penpal posted:

That's a good tip I hadn't even considered, I didn't know there was a separate Vault bind and assumed it was lumped in with jump. Ran into it a lot on sanhok

It’s weird, there are three bindable actions: Jump/Vault, Jump, and Vault. By default Jump/Vault is bound to space so you have to unbind that, then bind Jump to Spacebar, then bind Vault to whatever key you want.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Also this tip is huge imo: bind jump to space and bind vault to an alternate key (i use v). This means you won’t jump into the air repeatedly like a complete moron when you’re trying to vault to safety. By default they are bound to the same key.

That's something I've been meaning to go. I can't count the number of times I meant to jump shoot over a balcony or wall and instead started to vault over instead. This usually ends up eating a headshot while the other guy goes WTF NOOB.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Canuckistan posted:

That's something I've been meaning to go. I can't count the number of times I meant to jump shoot over a balcony or wall and instead started to vault over instead. This usually ends up eating a headshot while the other guy goes WTF NOOB.

It really really helped me. I bound it to one of the thumb keys on my mouse and have never had an issue with vaulting over something or through a window since. The first few games with the switch is a little bit of a mind gently caress, but once you're used to it it is hugely helpful.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Huh, I'll have to give that a try. I can't say I've really had a problem with vaulting or jumping, but I'm not hot poo poo either where little things mean the difference between winning or losing. It's usually someone just being better than me.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I got a new mouse last week that has a couple more thumb buttons on it, so I reworked my mouse binds and switched to Jump only and Vault only.

Space = Jump
LMB = Fire
RMB = ADS
Middle = Vault
Thumb 1 = Sprint
Thumb 2 = Rate of Fire

Hockles fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 12, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Actually I lied about not having problems with vaulting or jumping.

The windows on sanhok are so narrow that you have to be lined up just right to vault through them.

Also, some of the houses on piers are juuust too high to vault in to and I can't tell if I'm not lined up or if its just too high without trying a couple times.

So, if you see me dry humping the side of a house thats whats going on.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Also I dunno if they fixed this or you have to change it in the settings but it used to be that your vertical sensitivity was set at like 70% of your horizontal sensitivity. There should be a setting that is like vertical sensitivity and it is a number. Make that number 100 as having one of your axis be 70% of your aiming speed will totally gently caress your muscle memory.

As a disclaimer I have changed all of these things and I’m still hell bad

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Guys, I think Islands of the Nyne might be kinda cool...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I saw a video about it, the YouTuber was talking about how PUBG always ran like dogshit so ION must be better. The he revealed he plays at 1600x1024. He also said PUBG movement was poo poo but was literally bunny hopping the entire time in his video. Also it looked like the guns may be hit scan? Then I noticed there are no shadows in Nyne. I’m not really sure what to believe but I’m guessing I shouldn’t trust a guy who’s still running hardware from the CS:Source release and thinks bunny hoping is good movement.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Pubg movement is pretty bad though

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Islands of Nine has clean sights and environments, a lot of contrast in the colors so enemies are an easy spot, and the shooting mechanics feel clean

But they're using the same engine and i doubt they're going to have as easy a time optimizing it than the company with hundreds of millions of bucks. I still think pubg is cool and good, even if the last patch/current server conditions sucked

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I saw a video about it, the YouTuber was talking about how PUBG always ran like dogshit so ION must be better. The he revealed he plays at 1600x1024. He also said PUBG movement was poo poo but was literally bunny hopping the entire time in his video. Also it looked like the guns may be hit scan? Then I noticed there are no shadows in Nyne. I’m not really sure what to believe but I’m guessing I shouldn’t trust a guy who’s still running hardware from the CS:Source release and thinks bunny hoping is good movement.

....1600x1024 portrait mode?

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Penpal posted:

Islands of Nine has clean sights and environments, a lot of contrast in the colors so enemies are an easy spot, and the shooting mechanics feel clean

But they're using the same engine and i doubt they're going to have as easy a time optimizing it than the company with hundreds of millions of bucks. I still think pubg is cool and good, even if the last patch/current server conditions sucked

Bluehole is in Korea and they way too open about the fact that they have trouble hiring good game coders because there's more money in mobile games in Asia.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

underage at the vape shop posted:

Pubg movement is pretty bad though

Crouch as you turn corners to take em hella sharp

Just like real life baby

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

VulgarandStupid posted:

That YouTuber is lying because ION runs like poo poo compared to PUBG. It is a cool middle ground between Fortnite cartoon bull poo poo and PUBG Military SIM though. I'm gonna keep playing it until I pass out drunk later this morning.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pretty much all first person games have lower vertical sensitivity than horizonal sensitivity. If you make them even you are going to gently caress yourself up.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Hellsau posted:

....1600x1024 portrait mode?

width x height, not portrait mode. 1920x1080 is landscape, 1080x1920 is portrait for 16:9. 1600x1024 is 25:16, pretty sure he means 1600x900 which is 16:9...maybe 1600x1200 which is 4:3.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

1680x1050 maybe? edit: oh, I just searched and there are mentions of 1600x1024 as a resolution. Go figure.

16:10 is the superior ratio, fight me.

odiv fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 13, 2018

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

AnElegantPeacock posted:

That YouTuber is lying because ION runs like poo poo compared to PUBG. It is a cool middle ground between Fortnite cartoon bull poo poo and PUBG Military SIM though. I'm gonna keep playing it until I pass out drunk later this morning.

With max detail settings for ION, I get pretty much the same FPS as PUBG (which a mixture of detail settings). I think this is in the range of 50-80 FPS, depending on the area. So totally playable in my situation.

Things I like about ION so far:
-combat and movement feels responsive. I haven't noticed any desync issues yet where I'm taking damage even after I'm out of a shooters line of sight (I don't have a lot of actual playtime in yet though).
-First person only
-Has an actual shooting range to practice with all the weapons (important for scrubs like me that are working on improving recoil control in general)
-better inventory management UI (takes a bit of getting used to)
-crouch movement seems to be nearly silent? (perhaps they just don't have these implemented in yet?)
-There's an announcer that notes when the circle is changing status, and the circle edge is very audible when you're close to it
-Weapons are not hitscan

Neutral things:
-I'm not so sure about general bullet velocities though yet, and how much leading you need to apply at a moving target.
-Weapons do have some degree of bullet drop.
-General movement speed is quite a bit faster than PUBG
-Players contrast very much with the rest of the map. Not a lot of opportunities for hiding unless you're actually behind objects.
-No prone mechanic. So no snakes to worry about
-No lean mechanic
-Weapon recoils aren't as random as PUBG. They generally have pretty distinct patterns with how much/when they shift right/left.

Negative things:
-bunny hopping seems somewhat effective/annoying right now for certain ranges
-no vault mechanic (but you can jump/crouch through some windows)
-no doors to interact with for buildings? So with the lack of vaulting, there's fewer options for breaching a house

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Finally got my solo dinner on Sanhok. Killed some dude with a twitchtv name so I went into his channel afterwards and talked poo poo (I was the only viewer). :smug:

ION seems to be good. They seem to be trying to make a higher skill ceiling game and removing as much RNG from a battle royale as possible, which is what you need to do if you want an e-sport. The learnable recoil patterns are a fantastic thing and I like bunny hopping.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i think im officially bored of pubg guys

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I wonder how many people are even developing IoN. They had an alpha out a year ago, I saw a clip of my buddy killing DrDis in it. How is the game still in such rough shape after a year?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

VulgarandStupid posted:

I wonder how many people are even developing IoN. They had an alpha out a year ago, I saw a clip of my buddy killing DrDis in it. How is the game still in such rough shape after a year?

"Community Driven"

Developer and publisher, Define Human Studios, is a new and growing Kickstarter-funded independent game studio formed by competitive gamers and industry veterans with decades of combined experience. As both developer and publisher, we have complete creative control over the direction of everything we develop, and we’ll never rush anything to market until we’re satisfied with it. But hey, that doesn’t mean we’re not working our asses off to deliver a polished product. Just ask our exhausted QA team!

Seems like a really small group.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

Pretty much all first person games have lower vertical sensitivity than horizonal sensitivity. If you make them even you are going to gently caress yourself up.

single player games maybe, but I think it very much depends on which multiplayer shooters you've played previously, pretty sure source games all had 1:1 and I spent 7 years playing nothing but TF2 and CS.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i think im officially bored of pubg guys

take a break my dude. time to catch up on some steam sale purchases.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Games like counterstrike definitely had the same vertical sensitivity as horizontal sensitivity, however for a while it was pretty popular to lower the vertical sensitivity on the pro scene because it made it easier to keep your crosshairs at head level and you only needed to adjust horizontally much.

So basically a lot of people did actually play with a different vertical sensitivity, but probably most didn't.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

hawowanlawow posted:

lol, why on earth would having the same vert and hort sensitivity gently caress you up.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

lol, why on earth would having the same vert and hort sensitivity gently caress you up.

because you've been playing games with different sensitivities for years whether you know it or not, changing it because some tweens on Reddit think they're game devs is dumb as hell

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

hawowanlawow posted:

because you've been playing games with different sensitivities for years whether you know it or not, changing it because some tweens on Reddit think they're game devs is dumb as hell

afaik cs has equal m_yaw and m_pitch and somehow has not hosed anyone up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It's really annoying when mp fps games do that. You'd think it'd be easier for the devs to do just straight up raw input and a flat sens. But it must not be.