Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I shall roll Tamamo, I feel it in my bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I will whale for the first time for Tama Lancer.... and if I don't get her well I will whale for the second time for Musashi.

I hate this game in a way.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got her off of a random ticket two years ago, if I can do it accidentally you can do it intentionally

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I don't play JP, so I'm behind the curve here.
What's this Break mechanic you were mentioning in the writeups?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

the_steve posted:

Rather than one big healthbar they have multiples so you can't just wipe them in one turn. Many also have some mechanics linked to breaking their bars.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Break is a mechanic introduced in Epic of Remnant aka FGO 1.5. Basically they're multiple health bars for one boss, but the health bar doesn't actually shift until your turn ends. So if you say, kill with the first attack, you do your continuous follow up attacks on the same character even if you have characters change mid turn for the next card. Once they shift to the next health bar they usually have some buff they apply on themselves or more commonly charge NP gauge to full and try to wipe your entire front line. It's a mechanic they implemented to basically kill one-turn burst destroying of boss fights, but what ended up kind of happening was you really just delay the person a turn or two.

That being said they've gotten more creative with some of the buffs applied and in some cases characters will change classes after a bar will break, so yeah that's a thing. Stall has become a more popular tactic in wake of this as well and this mechanic actually did kill some characters like Kintoki who is not seen on challenge content as much, because you have to work a lot to get him another NP to burst the enemy with how hard driven he was towards blowing all of his stuff on one turn and then just being a big beat stick after that. That being said they've given overcharge which is mechanically the same as overkill in how it increases the amount of NP and stars you gen on hitting the same enemy past the point their bar has depleted.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the_steve posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvdN0OPQEmc

the purple hp bar in this video.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

:hellyeah:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Baal posted:

I got her off of a random ticket two years ago, if I can do it accidentally you can do it intentionally

Hopefully. Thanks for the review nonetheless! Always great to have those around.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Compendium posted:

Considering I only use the BB cure against Avengers and she hasn't shown up much in other event/main story stuff that wasn't Valentines she can't even really qualify as "one of"

The event character curse.

rip fujino.

Gramps' first buster being starring at someone so hard they explode is still one of my favorite things.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
BB's shown up in more stuff than any other event character probably. Off the top of my head, she was in the Hokusai trial quest and Passionlip's new interlude. She is also one of the most popular grail targets in the game.

taser rates fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 12, 2018

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Compendium posted:

Considering I only use the BB cure against Avengers and she hasn't shown up much in other event/main story stuff that wasn't Valentines she can't even really qualify as "one of"

i personally havent used merlin in 6+ months, so he should definitely get a 3/10 at most, and i will write the most incensed letter to the editor if any reviewer fails me

he can have a 3 because it looks the most like a butt, which he is

also it was a hyperbole way of stating I like B.B., sorry

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

BlondRobin posted:

i personally havent used merlin in 6+ months, so he should definitely get a 3/10 at most, and i will write the most incensed letter to the editor if any reviewer fails me

he can have a 3 because it looks the most like a butt, which he is

also it was a hyperbole way of stating I like B.B., sorry

how come you haven't used merlin in 6 months?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Cuntellectual posted:

The event character curse.

rip fujino

I gave Fujinon grails yay

Kild posted:

how come you haven't used merlin in 6 months?

The pool of servants is so huge at this point in JP its easy not to use him unless you don't mind slow farming or being a lazy gently caress like I am sometimes.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Pet peeve of the day: Why are they so inconsistent with servant sprite heights?

I adore Da Vinci's sprite, but she's ridiculously short. Her bio says she's 160 cm tall, exactly like Tamamo, and yet Tama towers over her while not even standing straight.

Is it that hard to draw a few reference lines for height when scaling the sprites, FGO art team?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlondRobin posted:

This may just be me reading too much into things but imo CCC is limited basically as a poke into action for people who might be slower about the story because FGO is much bigger about story locking than a lot of mobage I've seen.

Basically, CCC is time limited so the answer to "well, what's the worst that could happen if I don't keep up on the story" is "you miss an incredible story, a huge collab worth of rewards, and access to a welfare who is both one of the best characters in the game* and the only member of her class for going on a year and a half."

* - technically, BB is the best character in the game, but I'll allow people to be wrong enough to qualify her as only "one of"

Yeah, it's still like, what, nearly a year off? But I can't really exaggerate how good the CCC event is and how you should make sure you make sure you don't miss it.

The story is about as good as it comes in this game in terms of writing quality. It's a direct sequel to CCC (which lol doesn't have an English release), and is literally a main story chapter masquerading as a limited time collaboration event.

BB is very important. Honestly at this point tough Avenger bosses are a lot more common than Rulers, and BB's the only character that's strong against them. Meltlilith is super good, too. And they still haven't rerun it.

I'm a JP-only casual player, I missed CCC, and now I have to sob and comb my friend list for a support BB every other event. Don't be me.

Ashsaber posted:

Speaking of Summer, is there any reason to go for a particular servant's suggestions for building other than liking that character? There's no mechanical benefit to going all in for one particular construction method, is there?

The only reason to pick something other than Mordred is if you've already seen Mordred's and are going back to watch the other scenes.

Captain Baal posted:

summer servants get your summer servants tell me how i'm scum cause i said kiyolancer is okay

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151557

Kiyolancer is good because of "STALKINGU~" *firebreath for a million hits* and her silly "I!" "LOVE!" "YOU!" card select voices that never line up. She feels a lot more like the crazy stalker gag character she is than her quiet glowy-ball shooting vanilla berserker version.

I rolled a lot for summer servants on JP because I really wanted Kiyolancer, Punch Martha, or Squirtoria, and instead I got Tamamo and Mordred. All the summer servants are good strong friends and it's a good banner to roll heavy on.

Sophism posted:

Pet peeve of the day: Why are they so inconsistent with servant sprite heights?

I adore Da Vinci's sprite, but she's ridiculously short. Her bio says she's 160 cm tall, exactly like Tamamo, and yet Tama towers over her while not even standing straight.

Is it that hard to draw a few reference lines for height when scaling the sprites, FGO art team?

On the one hand I understand this, on the other hand Avicebron being smaller than the little girl characters is hilarious to me.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

summer servants get your summer servants tell me how i'm scum cause i said kiyolancer is okay

Wait, the 2016 banner comes back in 2018???

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
My favourite thing about kiyolancer is them just going "it makes no sense whatsoever for her to be lancer but she can probably use a naginata don't worry about it"

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Captain Baal posted:

Captain Baal posted:

+Shoutouts to clawtopsy

:)

:(

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
also please add "weird necks" as a negative to summer a&m

e: also 'gender-flipped kamoshida' for squirtoria, i leave it being a plus or minus up to you

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 12, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Squirtoria:
+Rolling her means you have an Arts Archer DPS alternative to Chloe

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Squirtoria is an easy 8/10 when NP1 compared to other NP1 5*, but at NP2+, even compared to other NP2+ servants, she is basically the best there is.
She just scales so extremely well with NP levels, from her rapid-fire NP to how her self-heal works, she might as well be called King of Whales.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Also Baal wrote the Type-Moon op without watching KnK, so his opinions are by default dumb and wrong.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Wuxi posted:

Also Baal wrote the Type-Moon op without watching KnK, so his opinions are by default dumb and wrong.

I can forgive that, as long as they watched Carnival Phantasm.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

he started fixing the knk deficiency so he should be forgiven for his past wrongs

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I got a 70 Nito with Origin Bullet and a grailed JAlter with Partake, if anyone wants some deadly waifus.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

It'll be okay. Don't forget that vanilla Marie was rated 4/10 by Endorph, and look at what you've accomplished with her. I have no doubt that your Summer Marie will grow to be just as awe-inspiring.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i wish i got a shoutout

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I'd have to disagree with this guy. Arts focused deck with male characters (EMIYA both forms would be a good setup) would be churning out NP, and she has a lot of survivability options that most Casters don't have. She's not a Waver, but she's at least a 6, maybe 7 with the proper support.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

e: also 'gender-flipped kamoshida' for squirtoria, i leave it being a plus or minus up to you

?????

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder if Summer Banners will be mixed or if they'll be merciful and follow the Saber Wars rotation of SRs.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they rotated in jp didn't they?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I ate too many golden apples and now I'm sick of FGO.

I now admire and fear even more the whales on my friends list who pop out a new level 90 servant every time we get a new 5 star.

Also why the hell do my servants need so many bones? I hate them so much now.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 12, 2018

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Caster Marie has my favorite summer art but that rating is pretty accurate since you're better off using other AOE casters.

But again who rolls for meta

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Hypocrisy posted:

I ate too many golden apples and now I'm sick of FGO.
This was me after the back-to-back raid events. Holy poo poo was I burning out. Then Camelot pumped me back up.

Hypocrisy posted:

Also why the he'll do my servants need so many bones? I hate them so much now.
Mmmyup.

Compendium posted:

who rolls for meta
If you're not rolling waifus/husbandos then you're doing it wrong.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

It's a reference to the first boss in Persona 5.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

W.T. Fits posted:

It's a reference to the first boss in Persona 5.

That still wouldn't make any sense.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
swimsuit, cape, crown

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Yeah, I actually suddenly got it while trying to sleep. Now I won't be able to unthink it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

While farming embers yesterday (1/2 AP helps so very much), I got two straight waves made entirely of berserkers. I wonder what the odds of that were, as I don't think I've ever seen a single wave of all berserkers before, let alone two in a row.

Anyways, when are the summer banners likely to start?